part one

Daffodil: Unrequited

Kyungsoo, raised a reserved and introverted prodigy, sits alone at the corner desk in the very back of his honors world  history class. His eyes are trained intently on the blackboard at the front of the room, his hands are preoccupied with the constant note taking and occasional erasing, and his posture is picture perfect. To a random passerby, Do Kyungsoo fit the description of 'model student'. Anyone could tell that random passerby that they were correct.

 

Growing up in the Do household meant isolation. Hardly did he see his parents, who were always involved in work matters and much too busy to engage themselves in their son's life. As a young child, Kyungsoo often wondered if that was normal. According to the various picture books he started reading even before age four, parents were loving and spoiled their children with toys and candy. When the only thing his parents gifted him with was more math problems and increasingly harder chapter books, the boy tilted his head curiously but still took the study materials with gratitude. It might have not been delectable sweets, but it was still something.

 

Despite the lack of attention from his parents, Kyungsoo did have a friend. That is, if the nice old lady that worked as a maid for them counted. She was the one to cook his meals and clean his messes. She tutored him to the best of her abilities when he needed it - which was indeed rare, but it happened occasionally. Ms.Choi was the closest thing the juvenile Kyungsoo had to a friend. But of course as time moved on and he progressively got older, he lost her to death at seventy-two years old. At that time, Kyungsoo was thirteen and alone once again.

 

By that age, Kyungsoo was the top of every class he was in. The teachers gossiped about him during their breaks, and the other kids gaped at his superior scores. He was the best student in all aspects. Not that he bragged about it - because besides his parents, who would he tell? He had no one to share in his happiness when he received perfect grades across the board on his report card. There was nobody to run to when the test proctor called him after class and told him his score had been off the charts, too high to be measured. No one was there to praise him for those things. He had no one to talk to. For a long time Kyungsoo told himself he was fine, and things worked out for him that way. With no distractions to hold him up, algebraic expressions and classic literature undoubtedly became his only companions.

 

That is until he discovered music through his studies. The vibration of strings and blaring of horns comforted him. The heavy bass of a drum and quick clash of a cymbal soothed him. Music was a stress reliever, a sweet escape from academics and any pressure his parents cared to put on him. While brass instruments and others of the sort made too much noise to play, vocals were easy to control and not too hard to learn. Kyungsoo found solace in singing, a capella becoming his new forte and passion. Still, it had to be kept under wraps so as to not show his parents that their son has strayed from school. Of course it wasn’t true, Kyungsoo’s grades were still the highest and his study hours remained at an impressive total of five. But on days where there was a dinner party to attend, he’d throw his books down and let his voice ring clear. 

 

Through the years, Kyungsoo matures into the most introverted person you could ever meet. But that doesn’t go to say he enjoys life as it is. Now a second-year high schooler, a sophomore, he’s more aware of his surroundings, and what the ideal, average lifestyle is like. For a boy his age, fun and excitement should be found in parties, alcohol, girls. So when Kyungsoo realises he's not into any of those, he figures there is something wrong with him. Not all guys are drawn to the "wild life" as some would say, so maybe the flashing lights and shots could wait. But the girls? Well, that was one thing the teenager knew for sure was off.

 

From the beginning, a romantic relationship was least on his list of priorities. It didn't appeal to him, nor did it matter when compared to things like GPA's and college applications. But even though it was last in his mind, Kyungsoo never had to scold himself for lingering eyes on the girl passing by. Lipstick never infatuated him, miniskirts didn't cause him a double take, painted nails barely interested him. Whenever for some reason, a classmate would flaunt her fine jewelry or ask him on a date, he’d have to politely decline without a second thought. He then figures he must be worse than he thought.

 

At the moment, Kyungsoo is diligently copying whatever diagram was written on the board. Every few seconds he looks back down at his work, notating every detail for later studying and further exploration. His notebook, as expected from the only Do child, was filled with vast knowledge of every subject. Graphs, equations, formulas, words, all organized in a system so simple, yet so complex at the same time. Kyungsoo didn’t mind. As long as he understood, everything was fine.

 

The bell rings just as the teacher opens to start another sentence. Kyungsoo checks one last time that he has replicated and recorded everything that they’d gone over for the day. Later, he’ll add it to the current chapter’s file for the subject on his laptop at home. Whatever pencil lead or eraser shavings - if any - was askew on the desk, Kyungsoo neatly swept them up into his hand and disposed of it in the garbage.

 

Then he proceeds to pack away his supplies: textbook, binder, pencil case, and notes. He tucks them into the sheer black bookbag he was given before he started school this year. An “early Christmas present”, as his parents called it.

 

After Kyungsoo returns his belongings to his locker, 396, he gives the storage space a once over, making sure everything is spic and span and all in place. His stomach grumbles as he finishes. Lunch is next, and it’s not just his stomach that’s relieved.

 

On a normal day, Kyungsoo would pack his own lunch. Sufficient and filling, nutritious and fruitful. There would be a perfect portion of meat, rice, fruits, and vegetables. He couldn't afford to eat anything less than healthy. Just another thing to add to the list of “Things That Make Do Kyungsoo Absolutely Perfect”. But there’s always going to be the occasional time when Kyungsoo forgets his well-packed meal on the marble counter at home. Today is one of those times. Do Kyungsoo may seem impeccable, but of course, he is also obviously human. Humans are prone to making mistakes.

 

So Kyungsoo steps into the lunch line that he so painfully dreads. Yes, patience is something he has, but there are so many ignorant students along with him that don’t so much. Many others around him chat to the person next to them in line, conversing easily as the average teenager would. But Kyungsoo, given his extreme shyness and self-diagnosed social disability, does not. He simply waits for his turn to buy food and head out to the courtyard picnic tables, his usual afternoon spot.

 

The day is a good one. The sun shines in orange and yellow rays. The breeze blows gently, like a whispering hush. There is white noise of Spring birds and passing cars. It seems perfectly serene to Kyungsoo, and he just can’t wait to get out there with a meal to eat and enjoy it.

 

But God has plans otherwise.

 

As Kyungsoo moves a step forward in the queue, someone walks straight into his torso from the side.

 

There are various sauces spilled on Kyungsoo’s normally white uniform blouse, staining it yellow and red. Lettuce leaves and tomato slices are scattered in piles all over the floor. A misshapen burger flew feet somewhere around the area. In short, the entire scene was a huge mess of wasted food.

 

Kyungsoo, stunned at such an abnormal happening doesn’t process what’s really going on, and can only stare at the ground, attempting to analyze the situation. After all, it feels like time has stopped. Despite the continued chatter of students around him, he can only blankly find the dirty floor interesting.

 

“Shoot, I’m so sorry, man.”

 

A regretful looking boy steps forth. He seems apologetic - furrowed brows and a hand pushing his hair back in exasperation - so Kyungsoo assumes this is the guy who walked into him. There’s nothing about the guy that really jumps out at you at first sight. Maybe except for his slightly darker skin (which Kyungsoo definitely finds suiting, even if the beauty standards refuse it). Either way, Kyungsoo knows he hasn’t seen this face before. Perhaps?

 

“It’s okay, really,” ever so soft-spoken, he tries to reassure the boy - who appears to be on the verge of ballistic - in front of him.

 

“No, this isn’t really okay. I mean, what a way to start out at a new school, am I right?”

 

Ah, so Kyungsoo’s suspicions were answered.

 

“Hey, don’t be so hard on yourself.” He manages to get out, eyeing how jittery the new student is.

 

The other boy’s sorry expression remains.

 

“I’m just really, very so-”

 

“Jongin! What did you manage to get yourself into this time? It’s not even been a full day yet.”

 

This face is much more familiar to Kyungsoo. He’s seen this guy around the halls, and knows him as a member of the school’s superior dance team. If the girls’ whispered conversations by their lockers serve as accurate resources, this guy should be captain alongside that one Yixing boy from China. Taemin, was it?

 

“Taemin, I don’t know what to do!” Jongin says in disbelief of himself.

 

Taemin it is. Kyungsoo is quiet, but you can’t deny his astonishing observance skills.

 

The dancer calms the other boy down, and it’s obvious that they have some sort of connection to each other.

 

“Look, I’m really sorry for this. Jongin here is just nervous, with it being his first day and all.”

 

The new student looks sheepishly at the disaster he caused.

 

“I hope you can forgive him, but on another note, do you need clothes? I have gym sweats in my locker. They’re not ideal, but it’s something.”

 

“No, no. There’s no need for that at all. I have PE next period, I have extra attire.”

 

Knowing that the lunch line was by now closed, and all hopes of a peaceful meal outside were diminished, Kyungsoo excused himself to change and relieve himself of the longest conversation he’s had in awhile. Who knew socializing could be so exhausting? Before he could make it out of the room however, a hand catches itself on his wrist.

 

“Hey, I’m still very sorry. You probably won’t accept anything drastic as a token of apology, so maybe I can have your number and we’ll all be friends?”

 

If the conversation itself wasn’t hard enough, Kyungsoo is facing something he’d never faced before.

 

“Friends?”

 

“Yeah! I mean, only if you want to…” Jongin trails off, his hopeful smile falling.

 

“Of course, friends it is,” and suddenly, Kyungsoo’s heart is rocketing.

 

His very first friends! (Sorry, Mrs.Choi, coloring books only go so far.)

 

Soon, names and numbers are exchanged between the three and the mess of a boy goes to change his clothes.

 

Through the remainder of the school day, he can’t help but grin a grin so unusually bright, regardless of the sweaty clothes he wears. Students in his class are shocked, appalled even at the normally reserved and monotonous Do Kyungsoo. What had happened? Did he find the cure to cancer? Discover life on Mars? No one knew that such a simplistic thing could make him so ecstatic, so joyful, so extremely elated. That such a mere thing as a friend could have this effect.