Let's Get To Work!

What's In an Idea

            Writing a play was difficult for Taehyung and Yoongi, two writers who had a deadline but hadn’t started. They hadn’t even come up with ideas yet and their boss was getting restless. Yoongi had wanted to start right after they got the project, but Taehyung was procrastinating. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to work. The cause was his goldfish like attention span. Every time they sat down to work, he would arrive late, get sidetracked in ten minutes after starting and then get up and leave.

After a month of no work, Yoongi finally got Tauhyung to agree to working. Of course, Taehyung was late. By four hours. Yoongi sat at a table impatiently, watching the time slowly pass.

“Hyuuuuuuung! I’m here!” Taehyung came strolling in carrying a huge energy drink. “It’s hot as hell out side! I’m sweating like a dog so ‘When I was at home I was in a better place, but travelers must be content.’ Act 2, Scene 4, Line 12.” Yoongi didn’t look up from the laptop in front of him.

“Taehyung. You late. Like really late.” He sighed and shook his head, “Our deadline is quickly approaching.”

Taehyung didn’t respond and skipped over to the table to sit next to Yoongi. Out of his bag she pulled three bags of candy and a second energy drink the same size as the one was he was currently drinking. When Yoongi finally looked up at Taehyung, his jaw dropped. Taehyung was going to be off the walls with all that sugar. They were going to get nothing done again. Yoongi sighed again and turned back to his computer.

“We’re going to get in trouble. I swear to god.”

“Where learned you that oath, fool?” Taehyung giggled. He thought for a second then added, “Act 1, scene 2, line 51.” Yoongi looked confused but shrugged.

“Let’s just started.”

They sat in silence for a half an hour. Yoongi jumped when Taehyung clapped his hands and yelled.

“ALIENS! OMG ALIENS!” Taehyung clapped his hands, wiggling in his seat. “Like a lot of aliens!”

“What are you talking about?” Yoongi asked without looking up at him. “Illegal aliens? That’s too disputed. A rather sensitive topic. Try again.”

“Not those aliens hyung! The ‘take me to your leader’ kind of aliens!” Taehyung waved his arms over his head.

“You weirdo. That’s stupid.” Yoongi responded, shaking his head.

“You mean to mock me after, you should not have mocked me before but come your ways. Act 1, scene 2, line 166.”

The two sat in silence again, Yoongi typing away on his computer and Taehyung playing with his hair. Unable to sit still any longer, Taehyung opened a bag of sour candy and got up to pace. He sat down on the floor, then stood up and rolled on the walls, mumbling something about his love of aliens. Nothing was coming to either of them. It frustrated Yoongi to the point where he threw a pencil across the room. He had a bit of a temper issue when things didn’t go his way. This was one of those moments. He growled, then gasped.

“How about a romantic drama about a break up? A couple has a dispute over a forgotten promise. They fight viciously, things get thrown and-“ Taehyung stuck out his tongue and snored.

“That’s boing as . Didn’t you just break up with your girlfriend? Having memories? ‘ Hem them away!’ Act 3, scene 3, line 15.”

“Shut up.” Yoongi muttered. Taehyung paused for a second before coming up with an idea.

“I think we are going in the wrong direction. We should think of this from a new direction.” He climbed on the table, and hung half his body off the table. It didn’t work. The only thing that came to him was a headache from the blood rushing to his head. Shaking his head, he sat up and frowned. No use.

They decided to sit for a while and write down some of their thoughts, then share them after. Taehyung had an idea of a historical piece but didn’t get far enough to get a plot. He knocked hinself in the head, scolding himself for doing this again. Yoongi found it a good idea. Unfortunately, his idea was to close to an already existing musical. His second plot was so boring that Taehyung lay down on the table and groaned. Every idea Yoongi had were romances. Cliché romances. Still nothing was coming to them. Taehyung sighed and slid off the table, taking his Redbull with him. For underneath the table, he began tapping his pencil on the underside.

“Taehyung. Stop.” Yoongi asked calmly. When Taehyung didn’t stop, he looked under the table and yelled, “TAEHYUNG! Stop it now!” Taehyung stopped.

“I’m sorry!” he whined. “I haven’t slept in two days and I can’t focus for .” Yoongi shook his head and sighed.

“How do I put up with you?” Taehyung only giggled. There was a long pause before Yoongi spoke again. “Any ideas? Are you keeping positive?”

“Nothing, zip, nada, sans idee.” Taehyung groaned. “As for the positivity ‘I care not for my spirits, if my legs were not weary.’ Act 2, scene 4, line 2.” There was more silence until Taehyung commanded Yoongi to pass him the bag of sour candy and the second Redbull.

“I got an idea!” Taehyung scrambled out from under the table and bounced around the room. “A horror story! With demons! Lots of demons.” Yoongi shook her head.

“Horror’s gross.” Taehyung grumbled something about Yoongi being wimpy. Yoongi glared at him and Taehyung rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. The only ideas Yoongi came up with were romances. More cliché romances. But, his murder mystery idea was a good possibility.

“Perhaps a comedy focusing on a fangirl and her love for EXO. Yes. Ooo or Seventeen!” Taehyung clapped and jumped. Yoongi just shook his head. Taehyung shrugged.

“Mansae, mansae, mansae yeah!” He swayed his arms as he rotated on his spot then stopped to look at Yoongi. “Geez. My best inspiration is other ridiculous people. You know this. ‘O, what a world is this, when what is comely envenoms him that bears it’ Act 2, scene 3, line 14.” The next few of Taehyung’s ideas where about more aliens, talking animals, and another horror idea. All of then Yoongi shot down then suggested two people meeting at a party. Taehyung had another idea but Yoongi interrupted before he could finish.

 “Hmph.‘I would sing my song without burden; thou bring’st me out of tune.’ Act 3, scene 2, line 224.”

“How can you be so confident with these stupid ideas?” Yoongi sighed, then mumbled, “I sigh too much. My soul is going to leave my body with all of this sighing.”

“I have confidence in my ability to be ridiculous. ‘Ducdame, ducdame, ducdame!’ And once again. No sleep.” He climbed back on the table and lay across it with his legs hanging off and waved hand in the air. “ ‘A better instance, I say; come!’ Act 3, scene 3, line 24.”

“Ducdame? The does that mean.” Yoongi really didn’t under stand anything his friend had been talking about.

“ ‘Tis a Greek invocation, to call fools into a circle.’ Act 2, scene 5, line 52.” Taehyung yawned. Yoongi had a sudden realization.

“Is it Shakespeare?”

“ Yup!” Taehyung shoved a huge handful of candy in his mouth. “As You Like It. It’s a comedy. I've been quoting it the whole time.” He yawned again. “You’ve just noticed?”

“I’ve never heard of it.” Yoongi replied and Taehyung looked scandalized.

“I have it memorized.” Another yawn.

“We should use the play as inspiration.” Yoongi smiled. Taehyung liked that idea. He yawned then responded. “ ‘O wonderful wonderful, and most wonderful wonderful.’ ” Yawn. “ ‘and yet again wonderful and after that out of all whooping.’ ” A third yawn. “Act 3, scene 2, line 173.” With that Taehyung fell asleep on the table. Yoongi sighed and put his head in his hands.

“Great.”