The Boyfriend

The Wedding Singer

The news came out in their group chat.

Ji Hyo: I am dating!!!

Suk Jin: So you did accept.

Haha: I hope you really had thought about it.

Gary: Will it be ok? You know what the fans will say.

Jae Suk: I had already discussed about this with the PDs, and they are ok about this.

Kwang Soo: But I am more worried about the guy.

Ji Hyo: Yah! Kwang Soo!!

Jong Kook: I have no idea what you all are talking about.

Suk Jin: Ah, right, you are busy back then with Turbo comeback.

Haha: I just learned it from Gary hyung.

Gary: Of course, Ji Hyo has told me about it.

Jae Suk: Ji Hyo has asked me to talk to the PDs.

Kwang Soo; I just overheard noona talking to the mat-hyungs.

Jong Kook: Can you guys just tell me what is happening instead of how you knew about it?

Suk Jin: They are all just making excuses since they are all afraid you will be angry that no one told you about it.

Ji Hyo: Mianhe oppa, it is just like you are really busy, and it is not like something that may concern you oppa.

Nothing that concerns me. Nothing that concerns me. You are dating again, and it does not concern me. Right, unless I am the guy. Which is imposibble.

-Jong Kook logs out.-

-Ji Hyo logs out.-

-Jong Kook logs in-

Jong Kook: YOU GUYS DON'T TALK ABOUT IT!

Then Jong Kook erased that message after making sure the five guys got his message clearly.

-Jong Kook logs out.-

He then receives a message from Ji Hyo:

"Oppa, mianhe. It just you are really busy. I had accepted the offer to be paired up with Bolin Chen in a We Got Married Chinese version."

Thank heavens she's not dating for real. But it will be another loveline to compete with.

Then he heard the special ringtone he reserves for Ji Hyo. It is their Turbo song Black Cat. He had used that song for Ji Hyo's calls ever since he had watched her danced to Turbo songs in one of their episodes.

Don't pick up. Pick up. Don't pick up. It will be weird if I don't pick up. Right.

By the time he decided to answer, Ji Hyo stops calling him.

Another lost chance. Oh, she may be really mong in real life. She may really have forgotten to inform him. Or not.

And it is not like Ji Hyo will really care if he knows about it or not. It is about her professional life. He is always the last one to know, even about her personal life. The filming has ended already back then when someone just mentioned to him that Song Ji Hyo is dating her agency's CEO.

Right. At the exact time when he decided to court her.

He had misinterpreted Ji Hyo’s actions back then. So, he had been cautious ever since Ji Hyo broke up with her CEO boyfriend, even when it is tempting to give in his thoughts that maybe, just maybe, Ji Hyo cares for him, more than as her oppa.

But reason always overpowers his emotions.

Just because she looked really worried when he was injured back in Shanghai. She just cares for you as her oppa. Nothing much.

He decided to reply to her text. His reply is essentially the same text he sent to her back then about her dating news.

"But you should still have told me. You know that it can affect our show."

Fool Kim Jong Kook. To say those words again.

The show is at the least on his mind right now. But he has to say something.

Ji hyo calls him again, and this time, he has to answer.

"Oh, Ji Hyo-ah." He may sound harsh, but he still has to keep his pride. Damn that pride.

A long pause followed. A sigh. Then a cough. 

That sound ended his thoughts of being harsher to his Ace to get even.

“Ji Hyo, are you okay?”

“I’m okay oppa. It is just too cold these days. But it doesn’t matter. I called to say sorry.”

You’re all that matters to me.

“I’m really sorry that I had forgotten to also ask for your opinion. I know that I accepting that show can affect Running Man. I may have been really excited.”

What’s there to be excited about?

“Sorry, it’s just a really good opportunity. An opportunity to expand my career in China, and also, ah, maybe, I can also end the Monday Couple with this right? Or not?”

End the Monday Couple? The only time she really wants to end the Monday Couple is when she has a real-life boyfriend. Does she…

“Do you have now a boyfriend?” I should not have said that. Please say you don’t have. Please.

What boyfriend, oppa? Do I need to have a boyfriend first to need the Monday Couple.?

No, of course not, unless I’m the boyfriend.

“No, it’s just, ah, why do you want to end it?”

“…”

“Song Ji Hyo?”

“Ah, you know, ah, so that, after a long time, I may have a real relationship?”

She can say that it’s for betterment of her career, I can accept that. But for her to be in a relationship…

“Why, do you have someone in mind?”

Dang my loose tongue. You’re digging your own grave.

The silence that follows feels like his staging his own funeral. Then it feels like death has really come to him with the words Ji Hyo says next.

“It’s not something I can tell you oppa.”

It’s not something I can tell you oppa. It’s not something I can tell you oppa. It’s not something I can tell you oppa. Damn, right.

It is better for him not to know.