Final

Breaking Up
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taeyeon didn’t know where to put her ironed underwear. Who would ever iron underwear; she wondered and looked down at the taped box containing the said specification of clothing. She only ironed something if she was preparing for a trip somewhere or an important event. Even in that case, she wouldn’t iron her underwear. She would just stuff them in a baggy compartment on the side of her suitcase or better yet, where them straight on. Now, standing with a full box of ironed underwear, she was dumbfounded. Did the box signal a life-changing event or her embarking on a brand new journey? Or did it just signal the precious minutes Taeyeon had planted herself here mulling over something as silly and unnecessary as ironed underwear?

She looked across the rest of her messy dorm room and sighed at the sight. The cramped space looked the most occupied the last few months, with her bed unmade and some other carton boxes knifed open sprawling the dusty carpeted floor. She had just finished moving out of her ex-girlfriend apartment. Wait, scratch that, she didn’t like the term. It was nothing more than her taking back the stuff that she brought there that merely helped her look presentable at school after nights she didn’t return to her own place: a few boxes of jeans and dress shirts and sweaters, a couple more with just workout stuff and PJs, one for textbooks and one more for electric chargers and necessities of that sort. Oh, and a whole box for ironed underwear, if she didn’t mention it already. This didn’t count as moving out. She didn’t like the sound of an ‘ex-girlfriend’ either. Let’s just call her Tiffany for now.

Tiffany broke up with her. That was how Taeyeon perceived the ordeal and she was going to think of it like that until later, no matter how hard Tiffany was trying to convince her that they broke up with each other. Tiffany suggested that they stopped seeing each other and Taeyeon did just that, until one day she realized she must have misplaced her favorite striped hipster somewhere and gathered every ounce of shamelessness left in her to text Tiffany and ask for them. “You still keep my undies?” Yup, that was her first text to Tiffany after months of awkwardness and ignoring each other’s presence on their supposed to be Taco Tuesday if they were still dating. “Yes” replied Tiffany as she washed and ironed the rest and told Taeyeon to come get them and her things someday. Two weeks later, which was today, after another round of consideration and berating her cowardly self, Taeyeon finally got back what she wanted, but it wasn’t Tiffany.

She didn’t know how to arrange the stuff she got back. All the drawers of her dresser were filled. Her closet was also stacked. Even her shoe rack left no space for the pair she was wearing. Although it was her room where she pulled her stuff out in the first place, when she brought them back, they didn’t seem to fit anywhere anymore. They felt like they never belong in her own room - the stuff that had spent too much time at Tiffany’s they became alien to her old place, the stuff too heavy with memories and Tiffany’s morning scent they couldn’t be held up by her flimsy dresser, the stuff that was now just idly floating in her room and her clouded mind. Taeyeon put the box down as she couldn’t hold onto it anymore and plopped down on her bed, letting the dense thoughts pull her to dreamland.

“Taeyeon, you have to understand that I didn’t cheat on you. We both went astray with the relationship and it was heartbreaking to me but when I wanted to start anew with someone else it is only the normal thing to do, not cheating. That’s what I was trying to tell my friends so please tell your friends so too before they go around and talk nasty about my boyfriend and me. Thank you.”

Tiffany was mad. Taeyeon didn’t understand why she had got to be so irritated, so insecure. If it wasn’t Taeyeon to feel those emotions, then no one should. She didn’t see why Tiffany had to specify Taeyeon’s friends and hers. The four years that they spent together, all of Taeyeon’s friends had become Tiffany’s. In fact, most of her things, her belongings, her being, had, too. She didn’t have any friends, or anything that wasn’t Tiffany’s. Who could she go meet and ask to not ‘talk nasty ’ about Tiffany’s new boyfriend and her given the fact that they have already known about it before Taeyeon did? Or was Tiffany just trying to get that into Taeyeon’s head only? You know, the whole idea of her being her own best friend or some stupid self-motivated quotes that Tiffany learned by heart like that? If that was the case, then, boy, Tiffany was over the top insecure. Taeyeon wouldn’t do something like that.

Taeyeon didn’t care. Taeyeon didn’t care about Tiffany wanting to get with those so called ‘aspiring DJs’ who were actually drunktard club punks who she bet still coughed like a chicken when they hit the bong. Those boys who

Please log in to read the full chapter