Chapter 25

Asylum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The police found the man who’d killed Baek the next day, in a bar downtown with Baek’s wallet and garrote. The director held a meeting in Wilfurd Commons to tell the student body that they were safe now, but that if any of them wanted to go home, they would get a full refund. Classes would resume the next day. There would be counselors standing by if students needed someone to talk to.

Yuri found Jessica and asked her if she wanted to go for a walk. The yard outside Wilfurd lacked its usual mob of kids playing Frisbee or lawn bowling. Everyone on campus was in a somber mood. They decided to get away from the campus for a while, so they took a path that led to the forest. As soon as they had gone a couple of yards, the air got cooler and the light dimmer from the riot of tress arching over them.

“How is Hyoyeon holding up?” Jessica said after a while.

Yuri shrugged. She didn’t really know. “She wasn’t there when I woke up, and I didn’t see her in the Commons. Maybe she’s seeing one of the counselors.”

“How about you? Feel ok?” Jessica slipped her hand into hers.

“Yeah,” Yuri lied. Tell her, tell her everything. Stop holding everything in.

But really, how could she tell her? Hey, so it turns out there was this one warden behind all the horrible here, and oh, guess what, we have the same name. Oh, and I’ve been having these dreams like I’m seeing through her eyes. No biggie.

At least Yuri finally knew why Park Hae and his wife had gotten so angry when she’d told them her name.

“Kris’s not answering his phone,” Jessica said, interrupting her thoughts. The pine needles crunched under their feet.

“I texted him last night when I got to my room and again this morning, I assume he heard the news that they found the guy, although I’m not sure he’s left his room. I got one reply: ‘busy with homework.’ I don’t get why he’s being so strange. So unlike the kid I met on the bus.”

“Maybe he needs to be aloe for a while. I mean, he sawthe body.”

“Maybe . . . but I keep thinking about what Tao said, about is watching out for him. I’m just worried, you know? I worry,” she said. “I’ll try him again later. Can’t hurt to try, right?”

Yuri didn’t see her for the rest of the day. Back in her room, she found herself staring at the wall, her thoughts in a jumble. When her phone rang in her pockets, she nearly jumped out of her skin.

Chill out, Yul, it’s just your parents.

She picked up the phone, already knowing what was coming. “Oh, Yuri, we just got off the phone with your program director who tells us that boy has been killedright in your very

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter