Arrival

Velvet and steel
Please log in to read the full chapter

Lee Taemin was bored. He had been on this same airplane for twenty hours and even though he was in first class, he and his hyungs had already played games, listened to music, and were ready for solid ground. The crux of it all was that he didn't entirely know where he was going. Onew had told him but all that he could catch was that they were going to America, he didn't really care where. Now that SM had finally given Shinee more creative freedom, they needed to hide away from the crowds and sasaengs to plan and write their next album. America was safer because the majority of people there didn't really care about kpop, so they could focus on writing without being cooped up. You don't get inspiration from inside a hotel room, you needed to live freely and meet new people in order to create music.

Finally, the flight attendant said that they would be landing. He might actually kiss the ground where he landed, and judging from the sighs of relief that he heard, he knew the others felt the same. The flight attendant said that they would be landing in some city in Florida. All he knew was that they were going to see an old teacher of Key's who transferred here years ago. Now he taught at the local university, and said that it was awesome. When they landed, they'd contact him and he would help them find a place to stay. They expected to stay until summer, so they would be here for some months.

Eventually the plane landed at one of the smallest airports that he had ever seen. He knew from all of the signs that he was now in Pensacola, but that was all that he knew. He did expect there to be beautiful women and beaches seeing that he was in Florida though. For now they were settled into a local hotel to sleep. Tomorrow they would get up and meet Keys contact and get settled into their temporary home.

 

The next morning, they got up around seven, had an American style breakfast down stairs in the lobby, and got packed to go. They all packed in and headed down to the local college to meet Keys old high school teacher, Dr. MMeyers. Taemin was disappointed, he expected beautiful beaches, but all that he saw was grass and trees for miles. He of course had been to America before, but he only spent time in big cities like Los Angeles, and New York. This wasn't exactly rural, but it was clearly not a large, well developed city either. Key told him that it was called "suburbs" and that nearby cities were better developed. What surprised him most, was that the city was so inconsistent, there were areas where he could see restaurants, gas stations, and stores, but then there would be huge spaces in between where the only landmark was trees.

After a thirty minute drive they arrived at one of the civilized oases, and stopped at a mass sprawl of red brick buildings, complete with the towering slender pine trees that he was becoming familiar with. Onew and Key went into a shorter building, to talk to the administrators and he was told that he could come with or walk around campus. Since he didn't feel like being cooped up in another room, he opted to wander around. Although not what he expected, there were still no beaches to his frustration, the campus was beautiful. The ever present pine trees seemed to defy gravity they were so tall, and the buildings were landscaped with pink azaleas and roses that were in full bloom as it was currently spring time. He stood there j

Please log in to read the full chapter