Prologue

Lucky One

A|n: Hello everyone! This is a short introduction to the story. I just laid out the characters and how they met. Sorry I can't do much editing because I am out and using my phone. The preceding chapter (this will be two-shots) will most likely include mature contents because I changed the entire plot. In this particular chapter, there is a mention of . I'm just warning you. It's not graphic at all so I don't think I need to rate this particular chapter as mature. :)

A'ryt that's all. Thanks for subbing. 


 

Kim Jongin was seven years old when his father brought him along to take photos in the wild. Since his family is known for being lovers of nature, the child seemed to have adapted that exact trait. The first picture he took was that of a female fallow deer, commonly called a doe in the forest island of Banjabi. Jongin was so pleased he even gave ‘her’ a name; Hannie, which was also the nickname of his deceased mother. From that day onwards, the boy nurtured his interest in nature photography which his father deeply supported. Even after Mister Kim passed away, Jongin worked hard to be able to push through his passion. He studied Biological sciences in the university and graduated with high remarks. Because he was passion-driven, he wasn’t able to experience youthfulness to the extent. That means, being single for almost all his life.

 

At the age of 28, Jongin journeyed to a secluded island in the south of Jeju province called Kawikee. Known for its mystifying beauty, the forest island serves haven to endangered animals such as the kakapo, the Poitou donkey and the white-tailed deer.

The moment Jongin stepped foot on the island, the first thing that caught his eyes was the sparkling blue water came whooshing through the white sand that expands throughout the entirety of the place; alike to a silk blanket that envelops beneath the towering trees of different kind. He immediately captured the breathtaking sight before he blended in the emerald forest. The luscious greens concealed more beauty such as the sparkling bliss-pool at the heart of the island and the waterfall with its crystal-clear water cascading from the mossy rocks. Jongin scanned the silent forest, looking for a perfect spot to settle his tripod. Best wildlife photography opportunities happen early in the morning or late at night so it was best to leave one recorder to capture the wild animals that will hunt for food or drink in the stream as Jongin roam around into the depth. The area had a distinct smell coming from the fragrant jasmines mixed with the scent of decaying logs. Jongin was careful not to trip over the muddy ground while carrying a traveler’s backpack and a sling bag to hold all his gear in taking pictures. It was a lot of weight to carry but Jongin did not mind. At the end of the day, it will be worth it.

Jongin spotted a female-clouded leopard hiding behind a stack of decaying logs. The animal looked healthy that Jongin’s heart swelled in happiness. He had that big smile on his lips as he took a picture. “Thank you for not moving around, buddy,” he whispered. “This is a great capture. I’ll definitely treasure this.” The leopard lifted his head up with a dignified posture before he jumped off and ran away in the wild. Jongin was about to walk ahead when something quick brush past him. The man turned around and caught several giant hares hopping around. They were moving in a speed of lightning that Jongin did not bother recording them. He just gazed at them with fondness until they blended in with the trees.  

After several hours of moving about, Jongin decided to rest for a while. He climbed up the Big Banyan tree and assembled a hanging tent for himself. Jongin snuck inside the small space and relaxed; only the chirping of birds and the buzzing sound of insects. For some people, those undesirable sounds cause dullness. Nevertheless, for Jongin, it was perfect.

Nature was cradling him, lulling his body and mind into tranquility.

-

It was late in the afternoon when Jongin woke up. He moved the covered sheet and peered outside. The sun ablaze in red and orange hues was descending into slumber. There wasn’t a single mammal on sight, only a variety of forest birds hanging on the branches of trees. Jongin tucked with him hand-held camera as he climbed down the tree. The wind was unusually cold that time, brushing gently across Jongin’s face. If it has a voice, it would sound light and mellow- something pleasing to the ears. Jongin drew nearer into the river and gazed at his reflection. Despite traveling to many places that were uniquely beautiful, it was the first time Jongin ever saw water so clear it was comparable to a diamond; sparkling, almost blinding.

While he was preoccupied adoring the mystical sight, a sound of treading water suddenly interrupted his thoughts. Jongin averted his eyes from his reflection and turned sharply to where the sound came from.

 

A pair of golden antlers adorning a honey-colored hair surfaced from the water.

 

 

The next thing Jongin saw was a body, as pale as snow, emerging from the river, beads of water trickling down the expanse of the skin.

His cheeks burned when he realized the person (or creature) was actually . Baffled, Jongin lost his balance and stepped over a twig. It created a loud, cracking sound that caught the attention of the mysterious creature. His head turned swiftly to the intruder’s direction.

 

 

The moment their eyes met, Jongin’s heart sunk into the pit of awe.

 

-