Chapter 6

Simply, Purly, and Disappointingly Just Friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] CHAPTER 6 [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

Dressed in sweatpants, a sweater, and a loose V-neck that showed a bit too much of skin, Ah Young began to exit her apartment. Her hair was up in a messy (and rather ugly) bun.

"Where are you going dressed like that?" Ah Young's mom asked in a disapproving manner.

"To Bo Gum's," she replied nonchalantly.

"Oh, okay." Her mom's demeanor relaxed instantly. "Have fun. Tell Mrs. Park I said hi."

"Sure thing. See you later!"

Ah Young left the apartment and knocked on Bo Gum's door with an excited smile. He answered with the same smile.

"Stranger Things?" Ah Young asked.

"Yeah, I got the first episode up on my computer."

She squealed and welcomed herself in. She heard a lot of good things about Stranger Things, and she couldn't wait to see it.

"What about the snacks?" she asked, making her wait to Bo Gum's room.

"Already set up." He pointed at the table of crackers and cookies. "Also, my parents are working late tonight. Bo Kyung is out too. I think he and Joon Young are hanging out."

"Cool." She sat down on the bed next to him. "Let's watch!"

♦♦♦

Ah Young let out a sudden scream, clinging onto Bo Gum's sleeve. He wasn't doing much better either, as he also was gripping Ah Young's arm.

"What the freak is that thing?" Ah Young screamed, practically cutting off circulation from Bo Gum's arm.

Looking only that the computer screen to not miss a single second, he silently took his arm from her iron grip and wrapped his entire blanket around her body. She glanced up at him.

"What're you doing? I'm not cold."

She moved to take off the blanket, but he just wrapped it around her tighter. She looked at him in confusion, but his eyes were trained only on the screen. Abruptly, Ah Young became aware of how low the front of her shirt was hanging. She held onto the blanket.

At the end of the episode, Bo Gum moved to switch to the next episode when Ah Young got a text.

Do you have time tomorrow?

It was from In Guk. She texted back, It's Saturday, so sure. why?

He took a bit longer than normal to reply. Would you like to go on a date with me?

Did she do drugs? What was this hallucination? She pinched her cheek as hard as she could. "Ow! Oh crap... this is real." Ah Young's face quickly grew red, and it wasn't because of the pinch.

"What happened?" Bo Gum plucked her phone from her hands and scanned the text.

She threw off the blanket, feeling the panicked. "Oh my gosh, Bo Gum! Quick! What do I reply? What do I do?"

He blinked, unsure how to answer. "Why're you so freaked out? Did he ask you to lunch a few months ago?"

By text as well. Why did he always ask her by text? Couldn't he man up and ask her face-to-face?

"That was just a thank you for that gift I gave him. It wasn't a date," Ah Young said, waving off his suspicious look. "But seriously, I'm really inexperienced with this. You're a guy who had girlfriends before. What do I reply?"

He shrugged. "Well, do you want to go on a date?"

"Yes!" Ah Young answered without hesitation. "Bo Gum, please help me."

He looked away. He wanted to say, "I think you should say no. I don't want you going out with him."

Instead, he replied, "You should say yes. It's a good opportunity to get a boyfriend. Be casual about it. Most guys don't like it when girls are too eager."

He blocked her once from having a date when he lied to Minju about Ah Young not being free for a blind date. He didn't want to stop her from going on dates anymore. She said she wanted a boyfriend, so why should he stop her? Plus, Seo In Guk wasn't a bad guy or anything. He should have been a good friend and encourage her.

Chewing her upper lip, Ah Young nodded. "Okay, so casual then?" She typed and sent her reply.

Sure, I'd like that. Where and when?

Was this actually happening? Was Seo In Guk asking her, Kim Ah Young, out? This was too bizarre and sudden for her to comprehend. Why would he ask her, of all people?

Ah Young jumped when she felt her phone vibrate in her hand.

Does twelve sound good? I'll pick you up

She typed, Yeah, no problem! See you then! <3

Her thumb hovered over the send button, debating if she should leave the heart of not. She quickly deleted the emoji and sent the text. Bo Gum stared at her intently. He had clashing feelings on this, but who was he to interfere with her love life?

In a blur, Bo Gum somehow ended up in her apartment, helping Ah Young decide what to wear. He sat beside Ah Young's dad on the couch, who watched the television angrily. Ah Young was in her room, trying on her third outfit.

"So," her dad said, turning down the volume. "What's this boy like? You met him, right?"

He nodded. "Yes. In Guk is..."

What was he supposed to say? Both of Ah Young's parents trusted him like another son, and they valued his opinion the most when it came to Ah Young. Plus, this was her first date.

"How about this outfit?"

They both looked up to see Ah Young in a white and yellow sundress. The neckline was a modest, up to her collar bone, and the skirt came down to just above her knees. It was very simple, but she looked best in simple.

"Good," Bo Gum replied honestly. "Great. I like it."

Her dad only huffed, looking away. Ah Young rolled her eyes, but smiled, knowing her dad will come around one way or another. She returned to her room after quickly saying, "Thanks, Bo Gum."

"So what's he like?" her dad asked again as soon as she shut her door.

"He's... smart." That was true. "He's from Busan and moved here at the beginning of the year." True. "Everyone says he's good looking." Also true. "I... personally have no problem with him dating Ah Young." Bold-faced lie.

"Really?" His expression relaxed, knowing that Bo Gum approved. "Still... she's too young." He stared at the TV screen stubbornly.

Bo Gum didn't reply. He only stared at the TV.

♦♦♦

Ah Young fiddled with the end of her dress as she watched for In Guk outside her apartment building. She ended going with a simple outfit (the one Bo Gum liked). Her mom tried to help her with her makeup, but she ended up looking up videos about it. The last time she wore makeup was at middle school graduation—and that was a mess. She resisted the urge to rub her eyes. She spent too long trying to look good, and she wasn't going to ruin it.

In Guk finally was in sight—looking sharp in a flannel and jeans—and Ah Young raced out of the apartment. She met him halfway outside.

"So! Ahem, so," she repeated, not wanting to seem too eager. "Hi. Uh, where do you want to go?"

In Guk smiled widely at her. "Well, I bought tickets to the new amusement park that opened last week."

"Are you serious?" She suddenly felt more excited than nervous about this date. "I've been wanting to go there since it opened!"

"Then let's go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter