Chapter 3

Simply, Purly, and Disappointingly Just Friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] CHAPTER 3 [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

"Oh, Ah Young, Bo Gum!"

Ah Young and Bo Gum both turned, looking behind them. In Guk jogged lightly towards them with that same signature smile on his face. He wore a gray sweatshirt, black jeans, and a grey beanie. Ah Young suddenly felt undressed in her ratty, purple sweatpants and stained, oversized hoodie. Even Bo Gum was wearing something cool, but she never felt uncomfortable around him.

"Ah, In Guk. Annyeong," she greeted, feeling sheepish. She rubbed the back of her neck, wishing she wore something more acceptable.

"Annyeong." He didn't seem bothered by her clothing. "What're you guys doing out here?" His eyes darted between her and Bo Gum.

"Oh, Bo Gum and I are going to have a drama marathon. We came out to buy some snacks." Ah Young gestured to the plastic bags in Bo Gum's hands. Bo Gum always carried the snacks because she might eat them on the way home.

"Hmm," In Guk hummed. "Well, I was just out for a walk. Oh, that's right! Do you, uh, would you mind exchanging numbers?"

Ah Young blinked before smiling politely. This wasn't the first time a guy asked for her number, but it felt nice coming from In Guk. She agreed and switched phones with him. She typed her name as "Pretty Ah Young" in his phone before giving it back. He laughed lightly at it and quickly said his goodbyes.

"Wow, you're getting skilled," Bo Gum joked as they resumed their walk home.

Ah Young giggled like a preteen girl in response. Assah!

♦♦♦


What are you doing tomorrow afternoon?

Ah Young stared at the text for about ten minutes. In Guk had texted her, and she has no idea how to respond. She didn't have anything to do tomorrow, but why was he asking? her lips, she typed and sent a reply.

I'm not sure. Why?

She chewed on her thumbnail. This was the right thing to say, right? Her phone suddenly made a noise, almost making her drop her phone. That was a fast response.

I wanted to take you out to lunch. Is that ok?

Omo. What was this? Launching off the comfy couch, Ah Young rushed out of the apartment and frantically knocked on Bo Gum's door.

"Ah Young," Bo Gum greeted, opening the door. He didn't feel too surprised she suddenly came over. Her visits were pretty frequent and unannounced. "What're y-"

She wordlessly seized his wrist and dragged him to his bedroom, closing the door after them. She pushed Bo Gum down so he was sitting at the edge of his bed before taking out her phone and showing the messages.

Bo Gum read the texts, expressionless. "So?"

"What do I text back?" Ah Young whined, biting her lip. "You're a guy, what should I say?"

"Are you busy that day?"

"No."

"Do you want to eat a free lunch?"

"Yes."

"Then go. What's the big deal?"

"No, no, no, you're misunderstanding," Ah Young said, rubbing the skin between her eyebrows. "I meant to say, how do I respond? Ppalli, ppalli, he's probably waiting for me to text back."

Bo Gum blinked. "Respond honestly."

"Well, I know that, but how do I respond? Like, should I be indecisive? You know, like, hard to get? Or go all in?"

He blinked again. "Do you like In Guk?"

Ah Young sighed. Didn't he understand how urgent she felt? "Yah, just answer the question. I need to text him back quickly."

He stared at her for a second, his face blank. "Say yes."

"Jinja? That's all? Will that be okay?" Ah Young asked, her hands clutching her phone.

Bo Gum nodded. "Just be straightforwards and say yes."

Hesitating slightly, she typed and sent her reply.

OK, sounds good! What time?

In Guk texted back a few seconds later.

How about I come over and pick you up at 12? We can go to the Twosome cafe

She smiled lightly. "A Twosome Place" was a popular coffeehouse chain.

Sure, see u then :D

"Bo Gum ah," Ah Young said as she slapped his arm. "I might be going on a date! Omo, what should I wear?"

"Why're you asking me that? You should ask Hyeri or one of your other friends about that," he replied, swatting her hand away.

That reminded her about something. "Yah, why didn't you tell me you and Hyeri went to the same cram school?"

He shrugged nonchalantly. "It's not a big deal."

"You should be friends with my friends. You never want to meet them. I'll introduce you on Monday at school, okay? Pretty please?"

"Ah, sure, whatever," he answered with a hint of annoyance. "Now go. I have to study."

Ah Young scowled playfully. "Aigoo, don't waste your youth studying."

"Aigoo, don't waste your youth dating," Bo Gum shot back.

She laughed. "Hul. I wish. Nobody wants to date me. I'm super lucky to get a date with a cute boy. Anyway, thanks for your help." She gave him a parting smile before leaving.

♦♦♦

"One, um, grilled cheese and ham toast sandwich. Oh, water is fine for me." Ah Young glanced at In Guk. "What're you going to order?"

"Same as her," he told the pretty cashier, who smiled flirtatiously. "But I'll take a large kiwi banana juice."

"Fourteen-thousand won, but I'll give you a discount for ten-thousand." The cashier winked at In Guk, bluntly ignoring Ah Young.

It was getting a little bit onto Ah Young's nerves of how shameless this girl was acting, but she was never one to get jealous. The only time she remembere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter