Final

Cat, Cakes, and Chaos Next Door

 

“One more Nutella Lava Cake please!”

“Coming!!!”

This is what i do, every afternoon. I became a trainee in this quiet famous dessert place in Apgujeong street, from which i have to be thankful for. Sometimes i envy my friends who can hang out after the classes ended, but i remember that being a chef (even a half-time one) is also my dream since i was little.

“Ally unnie!” i heard Yeri, one of my dongsaeng co-worker calling me from the curtain that separates the kitchen from the cake counter. “do you know there’s K Will outside?”

“Really?” i answer her without lifting my head from mixing the cake batter in my hand.

“ah unnie you’re really not fun!”

“yeah maybe i’ll pay more attention if he’s someone else from big hit...” i mumble “here’s your nutella lava cake.”

Yeri only laugh “well noona, i can’t help for your taste in younger boys”

“Yah!!!!”

 

-

It’s not like i like all younger boys. But i just have a special interest in the recent popular group, BTS. But i think i’m too old for fangirling.. since i’m even older than the oldest member of the group.

I take my usual way to my new apartment which i had only lived for a week. I haven’t even greet the neighbours. Even though i know these days people are even more individual and don’t care about their surroundings, i still think it’s necessary. What if something happened to me, i fainted without anyone noticing, for example?

So i bake a bunch of tiny cupcakes to accompany my greetings. I will start with the one in my left. To be honest, in this week i have never meet people from this room yet. But i think somewhere around dawn or past midnight i can hear a faint sound of people rushing to enter this room. Well i’ll just try my luck now.

I knocked three times, and wait.

I was greeted by a guy, an orange-haired guy, and i said in my mind, who the hell dyed his hair orange? Maybe he thinks he is an idol or something.

Before i can open my mouth, i hear he says “JIN HYUNG! You’ve come.. eh..”

“PARK JIMIN! I already told you let me open the door- oh-“

And we three just stand in silence.

 

Is that.. Park Jimin.. the Park Jimin...?

“i-i just moved next door.. i came to greet the neighbours and bake this..” i’m really not sure what i should say and suddenly i feel a presence behind me.

“why are you opening the door? Oh, who’s this?”

But then we all hear some rushed footsteps and some whispering behind us.

Suddenly i was yanked forward by some force. I stumbled to keep my cupcakes steady and when i lift my head,

Jimin’s face is only inches from mine.

What.. just happened?

 

Suddenly i was seated in the sofa, next to the guy who previously scold Jimin for opening the door-turns out he’s their manager. “i’m sorry for all this chaos, miss-?”

“Just call me Ally.” I said. Then i feel pairs of eyes eyeing the container i hold in my hands. There’re Jimins, Taehyungs, Jungkooks.

“Yah, guys! Hold your hungry eyes! I have to explain first!” scold the manager hyung.

“it’s o-okay, though. Here, i baked this for you guys”

“Really, noona? Thank you so much!” jimin smiles widely-his eyes turning into crescents.

“so, just as you can see,” the manager said “BTS is your neighbor.”

I gulped when he’s already stating the obvious.

“actually, this is like our second dorm, sometimes we stay here when the places for filming is near. And we would really appreciate it if you don’t tell anyone..”

“of course i won’t” i said, “i respect your privacy.”

“this is all because of Jimin. Carelessly opened the door like that, thinking that it was me.” Jin suddenly said when he gave me a cold drink. I thanked him. “Are you not Korean? Your name though-“

“I’m Korean. The name Ally comes from my Grandma, she’s from UK.” I realize something “Oh by the way i haven’t properly introduced myself. My name’s Yoo Ally. I’m 23 this year. I live right next to you, i still study in the university, but i’m also a trainee in a dessert place in Apgujeong.”

“so that’s why the cupcake’s so great!” Taehyung’s voice roars.

“T-thanks.” I murmur.

“Sorry for all the troubles, ally-ssi. Allow us to introduce ourself, also. Just call us by real names, since we’re neighbor. I’m namjoon, seokjin, jimin, taehyung, jungkook, hoseok, yoongi.” Namjoon, the mature one, speaks.

“yes, i know that well” i smile. “Well, i think i disturbed you all enough. I’ll be going back, then.”

“Wait, noona!” Jimin called for me. Is this even real? “i’m sorry if i startled you earlier. I was afraid of the sound of the footsteps so i just pulled you by reflex.. i hope you don’t mind.” He bows and then grins sweetly and leave me.

He makes me dizzy, literally.

 

And that night, i can’t sleep. Thinking that out of billions people in korea.. i was the one lucky enough to be their neighbor.

 

-

A week later, around 5 in the afternoon, surprisingly Taehyung, Jimin, and Jungkook visits me.

“HELLO NOONA!”

“o..kay? what are you guys doing?”

“we come to give you back the container!” Jungkook holds up the container.

“you don’t have any schedules today?” i ask as i sit on the dining chair, while they’re getting comfortable on my sofa.

“we will leave on an hour, but we got bored so we thought we’ll play here a bit”

Aren’t they all too innocent? They trust me this much after only one meeting.

“Oh! a black cat!!” Jimin suddenly points out to the corner of the room. As if knowing the situation, Bandit, my cat, turns its head and freeze.

“woah i want one!!” Taehyung suddenly gets up and runs around to touch Bandit. But it keeps avoiding Taehyung until i have to lift it by myself and place it on Taehyung’s lap.

“I am curious though, why do you guys trust that i won’t tell anyone about you?”

Jimin says “Well.. if you want to spill the secret, this week there would already be a huge chaos in the social media. But until last night we still sleep well, so, yeah..” he grins.

I am so glad they trust me.

“well, of course you all can visit me, just make yourself  comfortable here.

-

After that, i got caught up with my exam week in the university. I have a week full of sleepless nights, baking in 1 in the morning to relieve my stress, trying some new menus even though i don’t eat it mostly, i only go out of my room to have my exam, other than that, i just talk to Bandit.

Until that one day,

I came home drained both mentally and physically after my last exam, only to find Bandit’s missing. I search for him under the bed, in the cupboard, in the bathroom, but i couldn’t find him at all. And i suddenly realize i forgot to close the balcony door. So there’s a possibility that he jumps.. but where?

A sudden buzz startled me. I saw the hole to see who it is, and i find Bandit’s face!

“BANDIT YOU BIG FAT-“

“Noona-let me come first, please?”

Yes, i’m so dumb. How can Bandit buzz the room to my apartment? Lack of sleep surely make a fool out of me.

And it’s Jimin, wearing a hoodie and a cap that covers his face. The orange hair somehow sticks out a bit.

So i open my door wider, to let Jimin and Bandit in. After i close the door, i turn to face Jimin, who’s pulling out his cap and lowering his hoodie.

“Noona your cat suddenly comes through the balcony when i’m lazying around. I didn’t steal him, i swear!” he says in a defensive act, his small eyes widen and he holds his arms up in the air.

“Thank you Jimin,” i laugh. “Who says you’re stealing him. He’s the bad one here.” I say while picking up the cat and hold it to his face. “Bandit, apologize to Jimin.” I do that to lighten up the mood.

Jimin laughs and picks Bandit up, that’s when i hear a stomach growl. I stare at Jimin judgingly because i know it’s not mine. He scratches his head and grins. “Do you... have food, noona?” he looks at me apologetically while holding Bandit who also purrs, like the cat also knows the situation.

“i have bake cakes for a week full. Come and see for yourself!”

After i open the refrigerator, Jimin lets out a surprised sound. “Which one would you have? I’ll reheat them first.”

After reheating the cake he chooses, i let him devours the cake in the kitchen counter, right next to the microwave. I have no freaking idea why he doesn’t eat it normally in a dining table.

“Where are the other members? Are you alone in the apartment?” i ask him then.

“they go to the gym, but since i got up late, so they left me.” He says with his mouth full. “Noona you are a genius! Bake cakes for me everyday, please?”

i only laugh at his remark. “I will pack the other cakes for you and the others, i’m so relieved to have all of these out of my refrigerator. I just baked these to relieve my stress.”

And then i go on rambling about my exams, the annoying professors, and even some girl who makes me having mood swings this week. I normally don’t talk this lot, but once again, i’m sleep deprived.

“And then she just won’t do the task that was given to her! So i end up doing all the work-ouch!!” i accidentally touch the heated microwave while pulling out the cakes.

Jimin gets up from the counter and then he takes my hand, examining it carefully with serious expression. Without saying words, he brings my hand to the sink and have it washed by the cold water.

“You should be careful, noona.” He says with a deep voice, not the usual teasing voice.

And it makes my heart flutters.

A lot.

 

-

After that, almost a month i didn’t get the chance to see the boys. I assumed it’s because of their schedules outside the town. But one Monday evening after i got back from work, i find some chaos in the receptionist. It’s full of girls whispering and seems to ask something to the lady behind the desk. I take the stairs, since in front of the elevator  is almost full by young looking girls, some even still wearing their uniforms.

Then it hits me, are they trying to stalk...?

I quickly dial the Manager-ssi number, to inform them to use the back door and enter my room instead of theirs. Apparently, they’re on their way to got home. And the receptionist and security already managed to hold them so that they can’t get up.

Several minutes later, they appear in front of my door, panting heavily because of running. After i rush them all to come in, not long after that we hear some rushing footsteps outside, followed by some shrieking sound ‘oppa!’ ‘are you homee?’ ‘we got gifts!’.

I turn to the boys, who also perks their ears. I realize that they just come out of their newest MV filming and not yet having their make up cleaned.

“You all can stay here for the night, at least until they are gone.” I say, “i’m gonna take the make up remover first.”

“we are so very sorry for the trouble, Ally-ssi.” It’s Namjoon who speaks.

I only smile and say “Glad i can help”

 

Later, when i came back from my room to take some blankets for them to use, they are having serious discussion with the manager. it’s funny to see their faces. Hoseok and Taehyung are already sleepy, Yoongi is already sleeping, Jungkook laying flat on the sofa and having his feet above Jin’s thighs, Jimin is playing with Bandit, and Namjoon is the one who listens well to the manager.

And the topic disappoints me.

They are thinking of moving out, as soon as possible.

 

-

It’s the last day for them to be here. We throw some small farewell party, well not technically a party, i only bring a huge cake saying ‘Nice Knowing You :)’

I have the opportunity to say goodbye to all the members, and they are saying they don’t want to forget me and all my kindness.

“Noona” Jimin suddenly tugs on my shirt.

I turn my head, and ruffle his hair. “Thanks for all, Jimin. Hope we will see each other again.”

“i’m gonna miss you.. and your cakes” he grins, until his eyes disappeared.

“Me too, of course. I will never get a noisy neighbor like you guys again in my life.”

Jimin surprises me with a hug. Before i can even process anything in my head because God, Park Jimin is hugging me, Taehyung shouts “GROUP HUG!!” and i was trapped into piles of people.

 

Well, Thanks BTS.

It’s been nice being your girl next door.