Chapter 3

Lonely Hearts

He trudged back down the old, creaky steps and into the kitchen. Opening the fridge, he saw that there wasn't really much of an option on what to eat.

 

Every week, he would have his groceries delivered to his house and he would come and pick them up only after the delivery man left and was at least two streets away, or what he assumed was two streets. 

 

It was the early morning of Saturday, and he guessed after counting the days since the delivery man had last visited, and there were only two days left till he had to buy some more food. Since he didn't go outside for the past few months, the money he would have used had been saved up and were put into good use to pay for his groceries. 

 

After digging around in his less-than-half full fridge, he produced a single egg and a slice of bread. Walking past all of the appliances that haven’t been used for months, he separated the insides from the shell and placed the insides of the egg in a pan that sat on the stove and put the slice of bread inside the toaster, the only other thing that had been used for months. When both items were done cooking, he placed the fried egg on top of the bread and walked over to the living room. 

 

Strolling over to the pile of boxes that were set up in front of the window, he sat down, making sure that it wouldn't collapse under him. 

 

He pulled back the curtains, but only to the point of where he could see the area in which the sun was going to rise. The amount of space the curtains we pulled apart was approximately the size of an apple. It wasn't very much, but he could still see through it.

 

As he bit into his "breakfast," he stared at the clouds that were slowly passing. In doing so, he felt a pull in his mind, slowly dragging him back into the past. 

 

He sighed, feeling frustrated, knowing that it was useless to try and fight because it would hurt him more than if he just gave in and went along with it. 

 

"Yoonaaaaa."

 

"Woobinnnnnn."

 

"What time is it? We've been walking around the mall for at least half-an-hour. My feet hurt and my hands ache from carrying all of these bags."

 

"Time for you to get a watch!" 

 

She held out her hands at him and bent down some of her fingers and formed the shape of a gun. 

 

"And it has not! It's only been," she paused to pull out her cellphone from the back pocket of her jeans. "Fourty-eight minutes!"

 

"What?! That's even longer! My arms are going to snap right off!"

 

"No, they won't."

 

"How would you know?! You're not the one holding all of these! These are not even mine! Why am I holding all of your bags?!"

 

"Because," she stopped walking and turned around, flashing a dazzling smile as well as a pose. "It's part of the gentleman's code of honor-"

 

"-What?!"

 

"-That a PROPER," she put emphasis on that word, while staring innocently at her companion. "Gentleman carries a lady's bags for her. No matter how many there are. No matter how much they weigh."

 

"You just made that up didn't you?"

 

"No, go read it in the book."

 

"There's no such book!"

 

"Yes there is. I checked it out of the library two days ago."

 

She started walking again, and Woobin had to hurry and catch up before he lost sight of her. 

 

"So that's what you were doing instead of helping me with dinner?!"

 

"It's educational! So it serves a good purpose. You should try reading it one day! Maybe you'll learn something useful!"

 

He scoffed. 

 

"Yeah. Like how to become a permanent slave."

 

She turned around to glare at him, and he looked away as if he hadn't said anything. 

 

After walking past a few more shops inside the mall, Yoona stopped walking and turned around to face a sweaty and tired looking Woobin, who looked like he wanted nothing more but to lie down flat on the sidewalk and sleep. 

 

"I think that's enough for today."

 

"You say that after you bought the entire mall," Woobin replied, putting the bags down and massaging his hands and wrists. 

 

"I did not! Anyway, back to the car!"

 

She took off, leaving Woobin scrambling to grab all of the bags to hurry and catch up to her. 

 

"W-Wait! Yoona! Wait for me!"

 

All he could see was a big speck in the distance.

 

"Okay!" The voice cried out from the distance. 

 

He saw her stop for a second, and then take off again. 

 

"There! I waited for you!"

 

"What?! That was only for like a second!"

 

"Hurry up!"

 

Woobin remembered his limbs aching and he felt like he was going to pass out that day. 

 

Finishing the last of his food, he got up and closed the curtains, aware that he hadn't done what he had intended to do, which was to watch the sun rise like he did every other morning.

 

He sighed, and figured that he might as well make an effort to clean up a bit, since he wasn't planning on sleeping at all.