-4-

Mihwa

It was remarkably chilling how silent Chanhyung was when they arrived in Changmin's bedroom; in fact, he was so silent that Changmin thought his son had passed out. As it turned out, Chanhyung had just been crying silently, hands balled into tight fists to try to manage the pain.

Changmin didn't even know how to explain to his son what had just happened, and he was still shocked over how heartless Sungjun had been. He didn't know what to do except to lay his son down on the bed, hold his hand, his head, and wait for Kyuhyun to arrive.

He did soon, rushing in with a bag of his medicine, and as soon as he saw Chanhyung, his face fell.

"Oh, Chanhyung," sighed Kyuhyun sadly. Kyuhyun put his bag down and asked for a basin of clean water, which Changmin quickly complied to.

Washing away the matted blood on Chanhyung's back was a terrible task, because Chanhyung was in so much pain when they so much as touched his back with a rag. He didn't scream or cry out, but he shook so hard that he was almost shaking the whole bed. Kyuhyun ended up pressing down some of his herbs before his back was completely clean to take away some of the pain. Eventually, they were able to get Chanhyung clean and wrapped up in bandages. In the long process, Chanhyung's tears didn't stop.

Kyuhyun Chanhyung's head. "I'll be back tomorrow to change the bandages, all right?"

"You don't have to," whispered Chanhyung so quietly that if Changmin hadn't seen his lips move, he would have missed it. More tears streaked down Chanhyung's eyes. "You don't have to waste your time on me."

Changmin felt his heart shatter. "Chanhyung, don't say that," he said. "You're going to heal and – and –"

And what? And serve?

Changmin swallowed. "And everything's going to be okay."

Changmin and Chanhyung both knew that Changmin had no business saying that, because Changmin was as powerless and Chanhyung – but Chanhyung was kind and he said nothing, just closed his eyes and let out some more tears.

 

 

Chanhyung refused his supper. He wouldn't even open his eyes, and so Changmin refused his supper as well.

It wasn't until bedtime that either of their masters made any communication at all, the first one being from Prince Sungjun himself through a servant, asking how Chanhyung was doing.

An angry "Not good," was the simple two-word answer that Changmin gave the servant to relay.

Yunho came in afterwards and after fussing over Chanhyung a bit – which Changmin questioned the geniality of, honestly – called Changmin into a private room so that they could talk alone.

"I didn't realize that this was what you heard about," said Yunho once they were both seated.

Changmin didn't answer. Perhaps it was because of how heartbroken Changmin was for his son, but Yunho was giving him none of the warm soft feelings that he always did anymore.

"I'm sorry. I just… I mean, I knew that Sungjun was upset, but I didn't know that he would do this."

"You owe the apology to Chanhyung, not to me," said Changmin.

Yunho sighed. "Fine," he said. "But Changmin… Changmin, listen to me," said Yunho quietly. "I heard that you… that you stopped it."

Changmin looked up, unsure of where Yunho was going. "I begged for him to stop it. He decided to have mercy on us."

"Yes, I heard that part too," sighed Yunho. "Changmin… Changmin, just… you just have to remember… Even I, as King, can't – or, rather, shouldn't – control what Sungjun does with his Mihwa. It's not my jurisdiction, and it's not yours, either. Part of how Sungjun will learn the importance of his Mihwa is by making mistakes like this one and realizing how difficult his job is without Chanhyung. It'll be a hard lesson for him, trying to carry out the rest of the visit without –"

But Changmin didn't understand, because –

"But why must my son suffer like this just for your son to learn a lesson, Yunho?" asked Changmin, cutting him off. "What makes you and your son so special that your son can treat my beautiful son this way? Why, Yunho?"

"Changmin…"

"You seem to think your blood is made of gold while Chanhyung and mine is made of mud," said Changmin. "But did you see? Your blood was red when I pricked you this morning, and if you had bothered to take a look at his back, Yunho, you would have seen that so is Chanhyung's. In the end, Yunho, all of us are just – we're all just human."

"I know," said Yunho quietly. "I wouldn't love you as much as I do if I thought anything else."

"Do you even really love me?" asked Changmin, disappointment in Yunho flooding in.

"What? Of course I love –"

"Yunho…" said Changmin quietly. Yunho stopped talking and looked at Changmin. "Do you think it's possible to love more than one person at once?"

Yunho took a few moments to process what Changmin was saying, then he frowned. "What do you mean? Why would you ask something like that?"

"Yunho –" said Changmin. He hesitated. "Yunho, do you love me?"

"Yes," said Yunho without missing a single beat. "Yes, I love you, Changmin."

"Do you love your son?"

Yunho drew away. "What are you trying to say?"

Changmin continued. "You love your son, do you not?"

"Of course I love my son."

"If I said I didn't love your son," said Changmin. He looked straight at Yunho. "Would you still love me?"

"Changmin."

"I don't love your son, Yunho," said Changmin quietly. "I don't love your son because he hurts mine. And I really, really love my son."

Yunho just stared at Changmin.

"And you're doing nothing to stop it either," whispered Changmin. "Yunho… Yunho, I really love my son."

Yunho froze. "What are you saying," he whispered in shock and horror. "Shim Changmin, what are you saying?"

"Nothing," said Changmin quietly. "I just asked if you thought you could love more than one person at once."

"Yes," said Yunho assertively, almost angrily. "Yes. I love you and I love my son. I love your son. I love more than one person at once. And I know you love your son and you also love me. And I hope that you'll get to love my son too."

At this, Changmin shook his head.

"You don't love my son," said Changmin. "Please don't pretend that you do. It's – It's disgusting."

Hurt clouded over Yunho's face.

"How can you say that?" demanded Yunho. "How, Changmin, I love Chanhyung as much as you do –"

"You don't love him as much as I do. You barely even care about him."

"Changmin –"

"I've never loved anyone like I love my son." Changmin looked right at Yunho's eyes. "Not even you."

Changmin could almost see Yunho's heart shattering before his eyes, but he barely even cared.

If anything, Yunho deserved that.

 

 

Chanhyung kept his eyes closed and lay in bed all night. He barely even moved, and Changmin was scared that Chanhyung would never get better. He wasn't sleeping, Changmin knew, because he would let out an occasional sniffle and he was still crying.

Kyuhyun came to change Chanhyung's bandages the next day, and Chanhyung still hadn't eaten or said anything. So Changmin was surprised when Kyuhyun said, "Get up for me, sweetie," and Chanhyung responded by sitting up, albeit tiredly.

"How are you feeling?" sighed Kyuhyun as he undid the dressing.

Chanhyung was silent for a long time before answering with a short, hoarse, "Fine."

Changmin knew that Chanhyung wasn't fine, because when Kyuhyun asked, "Do you feel like eating anything?" Chanhyung just shook his head ever so slightly.

Kyuhyun finished up the bandaging and gave Chanhyung a heartfelt hug before turning to Changmin. "Changmin, may I get a word with you?" said Kyuhyun.

Changmin stood and followed Kyuhyun just outside, expecting to have the talk in the hallway. "What is it?" asked Changmin.

"Not here," said Kyuhyun quietly. He proceeded to lead Changmin down a small, narrow, dark hallway that he'd never been to before, despite living in these wings for years and years, and he was sure that most of the servants probably never set foot here, either. They eventually reached a little, dark, dusty room that Changmin didn't even know existed. Kyuhyun closed the door behind them.

"It's the palace, you never know who might overhear," said Kyuhyun quietly. "I am risking my life to talk to you about this, Changmin." Once they had bolted the door, Kyuhyun spoke so quietly that even Changmin had to strain to hear him.

"Changmin, as a physician, I tend over not just the royal family and the subjects, but also the servants and the slaves," whispered Kyuhyun. "One of the things that I see most often are whipped slaves, and while I see it on almost a daily basis, it is something that I can never quite get used to. It's barbaric and inhumane."

Changmin nodded slowly.

"So… So for the past few years, Changmin, I… I've been helping out some of the slaves at the palace… escape their fate."

Changmin's eyes widened. He wanted to say something, but he was so shocked that no sound came out from his throat.

"Changmin, you are Chanhyung's father, so I'm sure you're even more heartbroken," whispered Kyuhyun. "But I'm quite attached to Chanhyung myself, and I wish he didn't have to suffer."

He looked at Changmin. "It is likely that Prince Sungjun will become older and wiser, and that he will one day start to treasure Chanhyung and that he will no longer make mistakes such as this," he whispered. "But I worry about how much suffering Chanhyung may have to go through in the meantime."

Changmin looked up at Kyuhyun. "W-What are you trying to say," said Changmin in a shaky voice.

"If you or Chanhyung… ever want… help, Changmin, so that the two of you don't have to live as slaves anymore," said Kyuhyun, looking right into Changmin's eyes, "I will always be here."

"Help to – Help to –" managed Changmin.

This was unfathomable, what Kyuhyun was suggesting; Changmin had never even imagined a life without Yunho, and he didn't even know if he could live without Yunho. Yunho was almost a part of him, and a very, very, very necessary part at that.

"Shhh," hissed Kyuhyun. "Not so loud. You two are possibly the most well-known slaves in the entire country, so it will not be easy, but I have a trusted group of friends who have been helping me, and they will be able to help you escape safely as well. If you ever want."

"Kyuhyun – I –"

"Even if you refuse now, Changmin, once Chanhyung heals, I am going to offer him that as well," whispered Kyuhyun. "But I just thought that you may want to stay together, because once – if – Chanhyung chooses to leave, you are probably never going to see him again."

Changmin swallowed. He had never, ever thought about running away from the palace before, not with Yunho here.

"I – I can't just leave him," whispered Changmin.

Kyuhyun didn't quite understand. "I'm saying that you and Chanhyung can leave together," said Kyuhyun. "I know it isn't an easy decision to make. I know you and the King have a bond. But your son and Prince Sungjun – they don't, Changmin."

"I… I know."

"I'm not asking you to do anything," said Kyuhyun quietly. "I'm not suggesting anything, either. What I am saying is, should you ever need my help, I will be here to help you."

"Yes… yes. Thank… Thank you, Kyuhyun."

"Don't mention this conversation to anyone, Changmin," said Kyuhyun meaningfully. "I confided in you because I believe in you not to betray my trust."

"Yes, of – of course."

Kyuhyun gave a curt nod before stepping out of the room, saying loudly as if nothing happened, "No, Changmin, I don't think this small space would be fit for Chanhyung. You should ask the Prince if he would be so kind to give Chanhyung another room."

 

 

Chanhyung refused to eat the next morning, too, and the afternoon, and the evening. Kyuhyun came by, but he acted completely normally, as if nothing had happened. He was so natural that Changmin even wondered whether he had dreamt the whole thing.

Changmin was becoming worried now, and so was Kyuhyun. The word was obviously going around that Chanhyung was refusing food, because the morning after that, Yunho came by again.

For the first time, Chanhyung stayed lying down after seeing the King and didn't stand to bow to him. Fortunately, Yunho wasn't bothered.

"I heard you're not eating anything," said Yunho, patting the top of Chanhyung's head. Changmin held back the urge to viciously knock Yunho's hand away from his son.

"I'm not hungry," whispered Chanhyung.

"You won't get better unless you eat, Chanhyung. Please eat."

Chanhyung didn't reply.

 

 

On the third morning, Kyuhyun brought a bowl of soup that he made himself.

Chanhyung still refused it.

Kyuhyun sighed.

"Let's see if you can get anything down, Chanhyung," coaxed Kyuhyun. "Do you still have any of the sweets that I gave you for your birthday?"

Chanhyung shook his head weakly. "No."

"You ate them all so fast?" said Kyuhyun, looking surprised.

Chanhyung shook his head again. "No, I gave them away – to a little slave boy."

"You don't like them anymore?" asked Kyuhyun, sounding a bit disappointed.

"No, it's not like that. He was staring while I ate one," whispered Chanhyung. "I had to."

Despite everything, both Changmin and Kyuhyun chuckled. "You're very kind, Chanhyung," said Kyuhyun. "Changmin, you've raised him so well."

I hardly did any raising, thought Changmin miserably, but he still his son's forehead.

"He's a good boy," said Changmin. "Always has been."

Kyuhyun smiled then looked at Chanhyung. "I know you're not hungry, but please eat. If only for me. I almost exploded my kitchen making this, Chanhyung."

Chanhyung finally, for the first time since everything, smiled, which delighted both Changmin and Kyuhyun. The atmosphere then became so light that Changmin and Kyuhyun actually ended up getting some tea and warm soup in Chanhyung. It wasn't much, but they were both quite happy – it was certainly better than nothing, and maybe, hopefully, they were making progress.

However, their happiness was short-lived as Changmin's door burst open, making all three of them jump.

Half a dozen guards and servants stood at the door, and, to Changmin's shock, they barged right into Changmin's room.