-final-

You are Gold

An alfresco dinner party was prepared to celebrate a milestone in the lives of Grandpa Junghan and Grandma Gooyeon. The Kim family gathered in their humbled home, at the decorated garden lawn to commemorate the elders’ fiftieth wedding anniversary. The string lanterns of gold and beige hanging from trees and wrapped across the fences added sparkle to the evening. Row of low candles and flower décor formed a pretty centerpiece on the table. There was a side table with a good supply of cocktail glasses, shakers and coolers for younger people. A turret-shaped gazebo was at the middle, with fresh flowers and gold ribbons adorning its pillars. The cheerful couple in their white attire settled there, facing each other on the round table. Their faces were a picture of contentment. Everyone who was watching them in their respective tables could feel the love that has been nurtured and kept for years coming alive through their little actions; the touching of their hands, the wrinkly smiles to each other and the heartwarming chuckles. Kim Jongin, the couple’s grandson to their second daughter, was taking pictures of his grandparents from a distance. He had that genuine smile of appreciation carved on his lips as he scanned the photos. The first part of the program just ended and everyone was waiting for the dinner to be served. While his relatives catch up on each other, Jongin preferred to stay under the sparkling tree and watch quietly.

“Can I join you, Mister Lonely?”

Without looking back to know who it was, Jongin raised his index finger as a gesture of accord. Suho, the boy’s first cousin who’s older than him by three years, patted his shoulder. “What are you doing here all by yourself?”

“Taking pictures,” replied Jongin without averting his stare from his grandparents. Suho turned to the lovely couple and smiled, “Old and still in love.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Well, what about you? Still dating books and projects at school?”

 

Jongin laughed at this, “You really know me, hyung.”

 

“Why of course,” Suho pointed out, feeling proud of himself for knowing Jongin too well.

For eighteen years of his existence, Jongin doesn’t really have any experience in dating. He was fond with that one boy in school but didn’t really do something to know him better. He is innately shy around others unlike his older brother Jongdae and cousin Suho who are in a relationship with their boyfriends for more than a year now. That particular night, his friends from school invited him to go with them to a club party. At first, it tempted Jongin. He was shy but a friend managed to win his approval. But then he remembered about his grandparents’ special night. The club party that honestly didn’t appeal to him would have to go for that matter.

“But really, Jongin. Don’t you have interest in meeting other people? At your age, it’s normal to go on dates.”

Jongin smiled thoughtfully to himself, “I don’t know, hyung. Maybe I am not attractive for others to notice.”

Suho squinted and shook his head in disbelief, “You’re kidding. Look at your brother Jongdae. He looks like a starving bat but he got himself a boyfriend. Haaaah…. I don’t know what Minseok sees in him.”

Jongin couldn’t hold his laughter and cackled loudly, “Hyung. You’re too much.”

“Just saying,” murmured Suho nonchalantly. “But don’t tell him.” Both snickered while judging Jongdae in their minds. Their little merriment was suddenly put into a halt when the emcee invited everyone to staff their bellies with delicious meal the Kim’s had prepared. It was time to eat. Jongin and Suho went back to their respective tables to join their parents. A casual dinner such as pasta with tomatoes, cheese sticks, summer soup and fresh herbs were served to the delighted guests. Jongin reached for the pasta in haste before his brother, who was seated next to him, take away the entire plate. The older one snorted and turned to his boyfriend Minseok to whine. While the lovers publicly flirted to each other, Jongin tried to concentrate in eating. It doesn’t really bother him if his brother goes head-over-heels to his boyfriend in front of others. What he dislikes is when Jongdae tries to steal the food from him because he does it all the time. Jongin needed a lot of food because there’s nothing more to do and the plate of pasta was the only way to kill time while the rest mingle. The violinist with a huge specs and formal attire came into view. Along with him was a guitarist looking older than him. They both settled at the side where a platform was specifically prepared for them and played love songs to entertain the guests. It didn’t really catch Jongin’s attention. The music was sweet, yes, but it didn’t leave a strong impression on him.

“Oh hey it’s our song, Minnie!” Jongdae squealed like a girl in excitement. Minseok nodded and laced his fingers with his boyfriend’s, “It seems like your grandpa likes it, too.”

Jongdae shifted his eyes to where his grandparents were and studied the old man’s face. His lips slowly curved into a faint smile as he nodded to Minseok. They were both humming along to the tune of ‘All of me’ until the song slowly faded.

Jongin finished his meal and decided to grab a light drink. And by light drink, he meant lemonade. While trying to reach for a glass, he caught someone rushing towards the platform where the performers were. Jongin’s eyes followed the person with colorful attire; head pivoting to where he was heading.

 

Panting, LuHan apologized to Baekhyun and Chanyeol for being late. It was so unprofessional for him to be late when he was hired to perform with his friends. LuHan was blaming his Chemistry project for the trouble. He quickly opened the case shell and took out his violin. “Why are you dressed like that?” asked Baekhyun, trying his best not to offend LuHan. Chanyeol looked at him from head and toe and sighed inwardly. LuHan was wearing a polo shirt with polka dot designs. He matched it with a vest chaleco in blue with little floral prints and a brown trouser. His shoes were in bright green and overall, he looked like a person working in a carnival. Anyone would laugh at him if not for his sparkling eyes and baby face that seem to suffice his ignorance in the fashion department. “I’ll be playing now. I promise I’ll do good.” Baekhyun agreed and directed them to start another song.

Grandpa Junghan escorted his wife to the dance floor. Their feet moved in sync as another love song played.  

Jongin motioned to the side so not to disturb the guests who wanted to dance along with the couple (which include his brother and his boyfriend), But people crowded on where he was standing. He passed through the mob of happy face while looking ahead to the performing musicians. It was when the bright illumination from the disco ball hit the platform that Jongin got to see the face of an angel.  

LuHan was all smiles while playing his favorite piece by Ed Sheeran. Baekhyun and Chanyeol harmonized with him, creating a tune that could tug a heartstring. Even the coldest hearts would melt at the melody that only spoke about love.

Even Jongin who hasn’t even experienced the wonders of being deeply in love.

“Uhm hey, Jongin. Do you wanna dance?”

Jongin hesitantly averted his eyes from LuHan and found his classmate from kindergarten, Sooyoung, smiling at him. She was invited by Suho because they were really close. She held Jongin’s arm and dragged him to dance with her.

“Wait…I don’t dance,” Jongin protested but the girl was fast to assure him. They were moving awkwardly amidst the people. Instead of looking at his partner, Jongin’s eyes found their way back to LuHan. He was starting to feel a little cold around his nape. His hands were also moist; a sign that he’s nervous. It wasn’t because he was dancing with a girl. It wasn’t Sooyoung’s fluttering lashes because Jongin didn’t even notice them. It was the bizarre boy dressed in all sorts of colors with a face of a baby and a blinding yellow hair; the way he was moving his head along with the music and the way his hands fondled the strings, creating beautiful melody. The bright light roving around the dance floor made him appear more breathtaking than necessary and it ‘bothered’ Jongin to the bones. He couldn’t take his eyes off him. In the process, he stepped on Sooyoung’s foot who shrieked in pain.

“I-I’m sorry!”

The girl crouched and soothed her foot by rubbing it. “You’re not paying attention, Jongin.”

“I’m really sorry.”

Sooyoung sighed, “You were staring at someone else. That guy.” She pointed at LuHan and Jongin instantly blushed.

“I see. You like him.”

“N-no!” Jongin contested. “T-that’s not it.”

Sooyoung put her arms on her waist and raised a brow, “Oh really? If only you see your face right now, you’ll probably become more honest with yourself.”

“Sooyoung-“

“I get it. Since we were young you really don’t have special feelings for me. I won’t be forcing you. I was just giving it one final try. But I guess this ends it. No hard feelings here. Don’t worry”

Jongin stared at her, speechless. He watched Sooyoung as she glanced at LuHan and smirk. “You better do something about it, Mister Love struck. Maybe it’s time for you to move your shy and do something about your boring love life. He’s a catch”

Sooyoung nudged his chest a little too hard before she walked away.

“Mister Love struck?” Jongin would cringe at the word. Neverthless, at that moment, he felt how real those words are. The way his heart skipped a beat whenever he set his eyes on the boy proved something more. Something warm fluttered in his chest.

By the time he turned around to see the violonist, Jongin thought his heart exploded. His face heated up when their eyes met. LuHan gasped lightly. His fingers stiffened momentarily. Jongin stared at him with the same amount of surprise written all over his face. The violinist looked away and tried his very best to focus on the performance. It would be very shameful if he played a wrong note and ruin the lovely atmosphere. Jongin, however, didn’t budge. Despite being embarrassed, he found himself staying; looking, discovering, falling. Sooyoung was right. He was indeed love struck.

The music slowly died away. The musicians bowed and received a warm applause from the guests. The old couple was pleased with them and clapped the loudest. Old JungHan gave them an extra thumbs-up, making LuHan beam in gratification.

“You did well, Lu,” remarked Baekhyun while putting his violin back to the case. “Make sure you don’t come late again next time, okay?”

LuHan nodded obediently, “Yes. I promise.” When Chanyeol finished gearing up, they excused themselves from the crowd. Baekhyun thanked the Kim’s for inviting them. On their way out of the garden lawn, LuHan couldn’t help but look back and search for one person. He was preoccupied in finding those loving eyes that he missed to see the person right in front of him.

“Uh…H-hello.”

LuHan jumped in surprise. His eyes flew open when he saw Jongin staring back at him in a close distance. “Oh…Hi t-there.”

Chanyeol just placed his guitar back in the van when he noticed the scene happening behind him. He and Baekhyun watched as the two boys searched for the right words to say to each other. “So that’s the guy LuHan was talking about?”

“I guess so,” Chanyeol replied.

Baekhyun shook his head and laughed quietly, “I don’t really think it’s the Chemistry project.”

“Me, too. He just took time to look his best knowing he’s going to see the boy tonight. That LuHan sure knows how to lie.”

-

|Flashback| 3 weeks ago|

 

“Jongin dear. Are you going to stay here in the car?” asked Mrs. Kim to her son who was in the front seat of their Volvo. 

“Yeah, mom. I’ll work on this assignment. You can go ahead. I’ll just wait here.”

The woman threw him a smile before marching inside the restaurant. There, she met Baekhyun and LuHan to talk about the party she was preparing for her parents’ wedding anniversary. “I’m sorry to keep you waiting.”

“No problem,” Baekhyun assured her politely.

Mrs. Kim hung her coat before she sat down. “I just got here moments ago with my son. He’s over there in the car, waiting for me. He’s very dedicated with school that he prefers to work on his assignment than meet you, guys.” She then laughed warmly.

LuHan turned to see the son Mrs. Kim was talking about. Through the huge glass window, he saw a boy inside the car with a solemn expression. He was unconsciously nibbling his lips while writing down something on his note. Mrs. Kim and Baekhyun talked about the event while he got too preoccupied watching the boy. There was something about him that made LuHan’s heart melt like a burning candle on a birthday cake. He wasn’t sure if it was the handsome face that intrigued him; or the perseverance and warmth oozing from Jongin.  

LuHan isn't the one to fall in love at first sight, but Jongin seemed to prove him wrong.

-

|Present|

“Hm… I was watching you play and I-I think you’re great,” Jongin stammered while scratching the insides of his pockets with his fidgeting fingers. His eyes were glued on LuHan’s reddened face. When the other boy smiled shyly, everything seemed to fall into place.

 

Jongin was captivated. And so was LuHan.

 

 

“Do you want to stay for a while? Maybe we can talk?”

“S-sure. I would love to, Jongin.”

 

Jongin blinked, “You know my name?”

Cornered, LuHan lowered his head and giggled, “I guess I need to do some explaining.” He drew closer to Jongin, carefully taking a step forward. Jongin’s breath hitched for a moment before reality reminded him what’s before his eyes. Despite the doo-geun doo-geun on his chest, he managed to take LuHan’s hand and smiled. “Yeah. You better explain----???”

“It’s LuHan.”

 

“LuHan,” Jongin finished. “What a beautiful name. It suits you well.”

 

“Fact number 1. Kim Jongin is a sweet-talker,” LuHan chuckled. He went back to the party, hand in hand with the person he wanted to know more about, totally forgetting about the existence of his friends.

 

 

((“Look at that kid, leaving us here,” Baekhyun grumbled.

“Isn’t that nice? We can have some time alone.”

Baekhyun’s eyes flickered at his words. He turned to Chanyeol and grinned.

 

 

“Oh darling I will be loving you til we’re seventy!” The two chorused like drunk karaoke-goers as they drove back to their place.))


A|n: I'm in love with musically-inclined LuHan and lovesick Jongin. Plus seeing old couples still in love makes me so happy. Two reasons why I managed to write this fic. >///<

 

Are you wondering why the title has something to do with gold? Well, just imagine your possible reaction when you see gold. Get it? Haha <3

Thank you for subbing and upvoting! ^>^ U guys are awesome.