Serenity

Serenity

Jongin flattens himself against the wall in the hallway to keep from getting knocked over.  A picture frame digs into his back and he turns to straighten it while shaking his head.  Kids and their energy.  He doesn't know what they're so happy about, and he's quite sure he doesn't want to know.  He might be old, but he still remembers what it was like to be a teenager.

Jongin's eyes linger on the photograph, the hint of a smile pulling on one side of his mouth.  He remembers the day it was taken.  It's been a decade since he and Kyungsoo had wrestled their two kids into matching outfits and bribed them with the promise of video games and greasy fast food if they just cooperated.  Jongin runs his fingers down the glass, along Kyungsoo's youthful face and bright smile.

"Jongin!" Kyungsoo calls.  "We're going to be late!"

Jongin lets out a fond sigh, continuing his walk down the hall.  His eyes follow the line of pictures that fill the wall, hiding most of the yellow paint underneath.  It's a timeline of the life he and Kyungsoo have made with each other - their engagement photo, wedding pictures, honeymoon snapshots, collages of the day they brought home their son, and further down, when they added their daughter into their lives.  There's stolen moments of vacations and school pictures, graduations and birthday parties left for the world to see.

Jongin slides his feet along cream carpet, enjoying the way it squishes through his toes even as he tries to pick up the pace.  They may not have reservations, but Kyungsoo has a printed schedule of their evening and Jongin doesn't want to upset his husband.  Not today.

Kyungsoo is sitting on the couch, ankle resting on his knee when Jongin pads in.  There was a time when the mere sight of Kyungsoo would have Jongin's heart threatening to climb up his throat to spill his nervous feelings all over the place.  His palms would sweat and he'd clam up, terrified he was going to do something that would make Kyungsoo dump him.

Thankfully, those days are long over.  Instead of nervous flutterings and sweaty palms, Jongin feels a sense of calm when he sees his husband.  They've been together so long that it's second nature for Jongin to sit right next to Kyungsoo; Kyungsoo molds to his side, a warm palm settled naturally on Jongin's thigh.

"The kids didn't get you, did they?" Kyungsoo asks, smiling.

Jongin scrunches his nose, shaking his head.  "Near miss," he answers.  "Are you sure leaving them here alone is a good idea?"  Jongin turns to look over his shoulder and into the kitchen where Joohyun is making a sandwich with her phone pressed to her ear and Joonmyun is not so subtly stealing bits of chicken from her plate.  The last time Kyungsoo and Jongin attempted a date night, they came home early to find Joonmyun in a headlock because he'd put his dirty sock in Joohyun's face over an argument about what movie they were going to watch.

"They're nearly adults," Kyungsoo reminds Jongin.  "If we can't do it now, they'll never leave."

Jongin thinks about how his kids have conspired to lock him and Kyungsoo out of both bathrooms in the morning.  He remembers many a day with them stealing Jongin's breakfast from under his nose and leaving jam sticky kisses on his cheek after.  The pair of them are like tornadoes, especially when they get under each other's skin which is a talent they both seem to possess.

Joohyun finally notices that her brother is stealing her food and she whacks his knuckles with her cell phone.  Jongin sighs.

"Relax," Kyungsoo laughs, squeezing Jongin's thigh.  "They're going to be fine.  Joonmyun's 19.  He can be serious when he needs to be."

"19 going on 3," Jongin mutters, watching as Joonmyun pouts, holding his hand up to his mouth.

"They're good kids."

"I know.  We raised them," Jongin finally says.  "They just grew up too fast."

Kyungsoo outright laughs at Jongin, passing him his shoes.  "Weren't you the one drawing up plans to turn Joonmyun's bedroom into a studio just last week?  You're itching for them to leave the nest.  Now hurry up."

Jongin does as he's told, slipping on the socks Kyungsoo left on the coffee table with a grimace.  Jongin hates socks, but he makes concessions for Kyungsoo on the occasion.  In the background, Kyungsoo is reminding the kids where the list of emergency numbers are, and to call only if it's actually an emergency.  (There’s a bitterness in Kyungsoo’s tone that lets Jongin know he hasn’t forgotten the last time when Joonmyun called, frantic over Joohyun using all the hot water.)

"We'll be fine," Joohyun grumbles.

"And there will be no guests," Jongin reminds them both, trying to look stern.  "Especially girls."

Joonmyun and Joohyun scowl at him, and Kyungsoo snickers once he's turned his back to them.

"Have fun!" Joonmyun calls after them.

"Be gross in public!" Joohyun adds.

Kyungsoo shuts the door and Jongin lets out a deep breath.  They'll be fine.  Kyungsoo tugs on his sleeve and Jongin follows, letting Kyungsoo drive.

It's an average sort of spring day, with fluffy white clouds against a backdrop of vivid blue.  There's a warm breeze that takes the edge off the heat and it's all kinds of perfect.  Jongin rests his arm on the center console, a warmth blossoming in his chest when he feels the familiar brush of Kyungsoo's fingers around his wrist before slotting through his own fingers.

Today is their anniversary.  Jongin would have been content just going through their usual weekend routine, but Kyungsoo had wanted to do something special.  And because Jongin adores him, he indulges Kyungsoo.  Besides, Kyungsoo's romantic impulses are a rarity so Jongin needs to eat them up when they arise.

The drive to the beach isn't a long one.  Jongin grabs the picnic basket from the trunk and Kyungsoo has his arms full with the heavy blanket.  There aren't many people out despite the wonderful weather.  Kyungsoo finds a spot in the sunlight, spreading the blanket and using their shoes to keep the wind from blowing it away.

Jongin puts down the basket, rubbing at the spot on his arm from the weight, and sitting next to his husband.  The only sound is the waves lapping along the shore and the birds overhead.  Jongin can already feel himself relaxing, allowing his worries about the kids to ebb.

This was a good idea.

Between their jobs, the kids and extracurriculars, it's not easy to get time for just the two of them anymore.  Jongin had thought that once the kids were in school, things would ease up.  But instead of taking turns staying at home with them, they ended up balancing jobs and school functions.  It's been a long few decades, but totally worth it.

Jongin turns to Kyungsoo and admires his husband.  The story of their love is written in smile lines and streaks of gray hair they wear like badges of honor.  It’s etched in the way they know just what the other is thinking with a simple look.  There's history in how they move around each other, a dance they learned many years ago.

Jongin wets his lips and Kyungsoo tilts his head, grinning as Jongin presses a kiss to his mouth.  It's odd to not have one of the kids making gagging noises in the background, or complaining loudly that old men shouldn't be allowed to feel each other up in front of other people.

"I can hear you thinking," Kyungsoo mumbles against Jongin's lips.

"So make me stop thinking," Jongin challenges.

There's a flash in Kyungsoo's eyes, a mischievous grin that Jongin hasn't seen in a long time on his mouth when Kyungsoo pushes Jongin back on the blanket.  Kyungsoo settles over Jongin and leans down, the heat and weight of him so familiar and so right.  Kyungsoo kisses Jongin heatedly as Jongin wraps arms around him to keep him there.

This takes Jongin back to when they were younger, bolder, and all those pesky thoughts finally fizzle out.  Jongin loses himself in Kyungsoo's embrace, content to make out like teenagers on the beach.  As far as romantic anniversaries go, this one is turning out well.  He doesn't even mind when a pair of beach walkers whistle at them as they pass.

"I thought the house rule was no dessert before the main course," Jongin teases.

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and runs his thumb along Jongin's lower lip.  "We're not in the house," he whispers.

Jongin slides his hands into the back pockets of Kyungsoo's jeans, squeezing.  "Yeah, but out here there are public indecency laws."

Kyungsoo leaves one last kiss, biting down softly on Jongin's lower lip, before sitting up.  "Fine," he says, "have it your way."

Kyungsoo only pouts for as long as it takes for Jongin to start unpacking the picnic basket.  There's so much food - Kyungsoo is an over-cooker - and Jongin eyes it all in delight.  "I'd marry you again if I could," Jongin says when he spies the container of chicken.

Kyungsoo preens.

“So what’s after lunch?” Jongin inquires, plucking a piece of chicken from the pile.  Kyungsoo hadn’t let him see the schedule.  He’d only told him about the beach so Jongin would know how to dress.

Kyungsoo taps on his lip thoughtfully before shaking his head.  “You’ll have to wait and see,” he taunts.

“You’re not stalling to keep me out of the house, are you?” Jongin asks, suddenly suspicious.

“Now why would I want to do that?”

The tone in Kyungsoo’s voice isn’t reassuring.  Jongin just knows he’s up to something.

I’m not the one who likes to fill people’s rooms with things,” Kyungsoo adds.

Jongin chuckles.  That was ages ago and it still gets Kyungsoo’s feathers ruffled.  Back when they were in college, Jongin had a flair for the dramatic when it came to revelations.  The moment he knew he was in love with Kyungsoo, he’d filled Kyungsoo’s dorm room with plastic balls, each one with I love you written on them.  It had taken a lot of work and a lot of help, including aid from Kyungsoo’s roommate.  Kyungsoo had nearly killed them both, but not until after kissing Jongin senseless and telling him he loved him too.

Those were the days.

These days, however, are just as wonderful in their own way.  Jongin doesn’t need flashy to proclaim to the world how much he loves Kyungsoo.  It’s plain for everyone to see.  They’ve both softened with age, but they’ve done it together.  And they’re stronger for it.  Jongin reaches for Kyungsoo’s hand, turning it over to press a kiss to the center of his palm.  When he looks up, Kyungsoo is staring at him like he’s the world.

“Happy anniversary,” Jongin says softly.  “I love you, old man.”

Kyungsoo’s laugh cracks, and he hits Jongin on the side of his arm.  “If I’m old, so are you.”

“And I wouldn’t have wanted to grow old with anyone else.”

“Will you stop that before I cry?”

Jongin loves how awkward Kyungsoo is with mushy and romantic, and still, he doesn’t pull away when Jongin invades his personal space.  Kyungsoo is the sun and Jongin is a lonely planet, trapped in his orbit, made happier for knowing he’s the only one.

They eat lunch and linger for a while, watching the waves with Kyungsoo reclined on Jongin’s chest, their hands clasped.  Kyungsoo is meticulous when it comes to cleaning and repacking everything in the basket.  Jongin takes it from him after draping the blanket around Kyungsoo’s shoulders.  The breeze has picked up and he knows Kyungsoo gets cold easily.

“Where to?” Jongin asks once they’re back in the car.

Kyungsoo clucks his tongue and turns the key.  It was worth a shot.  Jongin can only sit back and watch as familiar roads open before them, Kyungsoo turning toward a part of the city he hasn’t been to in a long time.  Jongin sits higher in his seat, clutching Kyungsoo’s hand in his when he takes in a strip of shops that he used to know so well.

There’s a lump lodged in Jongin’s throat when Kyungsoo pulls into a parking space in front of a dark building.  The awning is the same shade of green and the windows are just as large, although the name has been scraped away.  Jongin steps out of the car, feet moving him toward the nearest window.  He cups his hands around his eyes and peers inside.

It makes his heart ache to see that it’s clearly been empty for a long time now.  Kyungsoo stands beside him, his palm warm on Jongin’s back.  “You want to go inside?”  There’s a key dangling from Kyungsoo’s finger and Jongin is in shock.

He’s easy to navigate, Kyungsoo pulling him along until Jongin is standing inside the very place he never thought he’d see again.  In college and during summer breaks, Jongin used to teach dance to kids in this studio.  He didn’t make much, and he didn’t do it for the money.  He did it because of the joy on the children’s faces.

There’s dust gathered over the front desk and the floors.  Jongin’s heart hurts with every beat.  They move further inside, down a familiar hall and into the second studio on the left.  It’s the one Jongin used for his classes.  He expects to see more of the same, but this room - this one is different.

It’s been cleaned.  There’s no sign of dust and the mirrors are gleaming.  There’s a stereo in the corner and Jongin looks at Kyungsoo who is smiling at him.  “Well?”

Jongin still can’t speak.  He gathers Kyungsoo into his arms and kisses him.  “It’s perfect,” he manages to rasp out.

“Dance with me?”

Kyungsoo doesn’t pull any punches.  The first strings of their song plays loud in the room and Jongin can barely see Kyungsoo through teary eyes.  He knows how to dance with him though.  Jongin fits his hand on Kyungsoo’s waist, pulling his husband close as his feet take over.  They’ve danced to this so often.  They danced to it at their wedding and in the living room of their home the first night they spent in it.

It was even playing in this very studio when Jongin proposed to Kyungsoo.

Jongin presses his forehead to Kyungsoo’s, even more in love than he possibly thought he could be.  Everything is perfect.  Kyungsoo kisses him, molded against Jongin just the way he was meant to be.  They sway to the music and they kiss and Jongin could never ask for anything more.

“I love you,” Kyungsoo tells him.  “Every moment of every day, I love you.”

“Thank you,” Jongin rumbles through the sob welling in his chest.  “Thank you for giving some poor, fumbling kid a chance when he asked you out.”

Kyungsoo’s smile lights up the world and Jongin kisses it just to have a taste of it.

“You’re stuck with me, you know,” Jongin teases.  “Forever.”  They’re the same words he put at the end of their wedding vows.  And Kyungsoo does the same thing he did at their wedding.  He stomps on Jongin’s foot and calls him an idiot.

 


It’s after sundown when they make it home.  Jongin wants to leave the basket in the car until tomorrow, but Kyungsoo glares at him and he concedes.  All the lights are off in the house save for the flickering television.  Jongin pauses beside Kyungsoo, taking in the sight before them.

There’s a movie on the screen, but both the kids are asleep.  Joonmyun is curled up on the far end of the couch, a blanket on the floor where he’s kicked it off.  Joohyun, however, is sprawled over the rest of the couch, one of her legs draped over her brother.  There’s a mostly eaten bowl of popcorn on the coffee table and both the empty glasses are sitting on coasters.

“Come on, old man,” Kyungsoo whispers, tugging Jongin through the room.  “We should get you to bed.”

“Yeah,” Jongin agrees, pausing long enough to put the blanket back on Joonmyun.  He leaves the television on and tiptoes out of the room.  Tomorrow, he thinks, he’ll stay in bed all morning and keep Kyungsoo to himself.  The kids are old enough to take care of themselves.

Maybe next year Jongin can convince Kyungsoo to recreate their honeymoon.