4/4

diabolical

Rain soaks through Jongin’s ceremonial robes, the dark sky makes the event seem more sombre than it should be. A graduation event shouldn’t feel like a funeral, but the demure atmosphere that settled across the students makes it so. With the way Kyungsoo had described his own graduation, Jongin had expected something more festive than this. Maybe it’s just the rain but Kyungsoo had told him to look forward to fireworks and stalls giving out hot food. Or maybe it’s just Jongin who feels this way; there are plenty of conversations going on around him that he isn’t part of.

Jongin keeps his head down, avoiding the curious or scared eyes of the other graduating students. There is a gap between him and everyone else, no one daring to go any closer after the day he went beserk.

Except for Yoona, Yuri and, surprisingly enough, Baekhyun, most of them here don’t know why he is here. Jongin himself, doesn’t really even know why he is graduating this early; he doesn’t know nearly enough to match up against any one of these people, despite being a few years older than all of them.

It wasn’t his decision; the council had a meeting about him. One he wasn’t allowed to be present for. They made it so he would graduate early, on the understanding that Kai would be an asset for demon hunting. They wanted to use him as a weapon.

Jongin wishes he had never told anyone about the deal he and the demon had made.

Several months have passed since that day and, now that summer is coming to an end, Jongin finds himself regretting the events that transpired. If he hadn’t gone to the tournament, would any of this happened? Would he be standing here, two years early to graduate with only the very basic knowledge to help him?

Fortunately, Lord Do had opposed this plan and had offered to continue to tutor him properly until he reaches the level of when an ordinary trainee would graduate. Most of the trainees here, upon becoming magicians, are more likely to leave rather than stay in one place. Magic allows them to keep in contact with the emperor if absolutely necessary, but they like to roam free around the country finding demons on their own.

The Head Magician stands atop a podium, congratulating each individual trainee and handing them the scroll which signifies their new status as official magicians, under the name of the emperor.

Biting his lip, Jongin takes the chance to look around him rather than at his damp shoes. He spies Yuri, already with her scroll in hand, beyond the barrier. She doesn’t see him, though. Baekhyun makes a subtly encouraging face at him, careful not to attract attention. The animosity between them had drastically decreased in the past few months and they had even formed a tentative friendship. From the corner of his eye, a dark shadow lurks and he looks the other way. Jongin can’t squash the feeling of betrayal and resentment towards the demon. He should have known all along, that all the feelings of friendship were one sided, but it still hurts. Demons don’t form relationships the way humans do, he knows that now. The revelation has turned Jongin’s childhood into a blight- to Kai, Jongin was nothing more than a pest.

The crowd gradually shuffles forwards, cheering genially with each declaration, until it’s Jongin’s turn. He steps onto the raised stage and meets the eye of the elderly, unsmiling man. Nervously, Jongin holds out his hand, as he was instructed, and waits two beats for the man to place it there. It’s light and has a wax seal on it. He bows deeply, cringing at the lack of applause; only his friends are cheering for him. He’s grateful for their efforts, but it sounds so hollow with so many people here staring silently at him.

As he rushes off the other side of the podium, he doesn’t look at anyone and no one tries to stop him when he sneaks out of the courtyard.

He heads straight home and lets himself into the house quietly, knowing that Lord Do would disapprove if he finds from any of the staff that he came back here too early. Humming, Jongin sweeps silently into his bedroom and sits cross-legged against the far wall by the bookshelf. While he’s here, he might as well get some studying done. It might help him to forget everything. He flicks the advanced incantations book open and begins to read.

 

“Jongin,” someone shakes him. “Hey, Jongin!” It’s Kyungsoo.

“W-what?” Jongin drifts awake blearily, squinting to see and rubbing his eyes. Kyungsoo’s face is a nice thing to see when waking up, he thinks absently. He has a book in his hand, which he nearly hits himself with when reaching up to his face. He must have fallen asleep reading it. “What’s going on?” Jongin asks, jolting awake at the realisation that something might be wrong if Kyungsoo came into his room like this.

“No, no! Everything’s fine. I just knocked on the door and you didn’t answer.”

“Oh.” Jongin says dumbly, slumping back against the wall.

“Yeah. Anyway, I have two very important things to tell you,” Kyungsoo informs him, sitting delicately across from him, his emerald green robes shimmering softly as he moves. This robe seems to be his favourite; he wears it often. Jongin remembers fondly that he was wearing it on the day they first met.

“What are they?”

“Well, the first is that I was sent to call you to dinner.”

“Oh.” That is definitely important, but Jongin feels like he’s saving the most important thing for last.

“And the second is that, now you’re officially a magician,” he points to the scroll lying on the floor, “I would like to become your partner.”

“You..? Huh?” Jongin frowns, wondering if he’s still asleep. This can’t be real, can it?

“I think it would be beneficial for both of us, but especially you. This way, it will be easier for you to continue your studies and I can help with that. I don’t want you working with someone who will take advantage you, either.”

“But… how does this help you?” Jongin wonders, confused. Yes, what he’s saying is true; having Kyungsoo by his side would be useful in situations like that, but he can’t see how it would help Kyungsoo.

“Well…. Quite frankly, you’re the only other magician that I like.” Kyungsoo confesses, flushing faintly, “most of them around my age are insufferable gossips or lone wolves like me, so it would be a bad match. But I-I think we get along rather well, don’t you?”

“Yeah.” Jongin replies softly, smiling. This is a dream come true. Kyungsoo is right; they both know each other’s strengths and weaknesses, and styles of fighting by now. Plus, Kyungsoo can see Kai, which can only be an asset, all things considered.

“So that’s a yes?”

“Yes.” Jongin repeats, more assertively this time.

“Great.” Kyungsoo grins and Jongin is a little dazed by him, especially with the way his eyes scrunch up. “We can go inform the head magician and the council of our decision in the morning. But now, it’s time to eat.” Kyungsoo says proudly, getting up swiftly. He holds out his hand to Jongin. Thinking back to how Kyungsoo seemed when he was still working as a blacksmith, Jongin is glad that he knows the man better now. He isn’t as self-important or flighty as his first impression had dictated, he’s just focused on getting the job done. And a little loopy, sometimes, following his amulet around and talking to himself.

Jongin takes his hand and allows Kyungsoo to help him up.

“Sometimes I forget that you’re taller than me,” Kyungsoo glares up at him, clearly joking. Jongin half crouches next to him, to make him laugh, wanting to hear that sound again.

“Better?” He teases.

“Just stay like that forever and it will be.” Kyungsoo snorts, shaking his head. “Let’s go.”

Jongin appreciates that Kyungsoo makes a point of positioning himself between Kai and Jongin; something he’s been doing a lot since the day of the attack.

 

The queue outside the council building is long, since the rule is so new. They hadn’t foreseen that it would take extra people to establish each partnership after graduation day. The line, or mass of people, shrinks at a snail’s pace. Even though Kyungsoo and Jongin arrived fairly early in the morning, hoping to beat the crowd, it hasn’t helped. It seems as though everyone had the same idea.

“Jongin!” He feels a weight slam into him.

“Yoona!” He gasps, before turning scolding, “You scared me.” Yoona just smiles as widely as her face will allow her and Yuri, beside her, shakes her head fondly at her antics.

“So,” Yuri begins, eyes zeroing in on the two of them, “you two are going to be partners, huh?”

“Uh, yeah.” Jongin confirms, staring at her really hard and hoping she gets the message. He really doesn’t want either of them to say anything embarrassing.

“I see. Looks like dreams really do come true.” She giggles and Yoona joins her. Jongin glowers at them,

“Shh!” He hisses, trying not to look at Kyungsoo’s curious face. The two girls nudge and jostle him into Kyungsoo, pretending they are just trying to see above the crowd. Jongin knows what they’re really doing, however, and does his best not to bother his senior.

“I’m sorry,” Jongin murmurs, nudging Yoona in the back so she squeals and gives him an exaggerated hurt look.

“It’s fine,” Kyungsoo placates him. He seems mostly amused by their actions anyway, but in the kind of way that speaks of his age. Jongin tries to imagine what Kyungsoo would have been like a few years ago, when he was graduating; would he have been popular? Maybe not in an obvious way, he isn’t very talkative after all, but in a distanced kind of way. Admired from afar, Jongin can see that. Or maybe people were jealous of him, since he started training early and graduated at age fourteen, rather than sixteen.

“Is there many more people?” Kyungsoo asks Jongin, unable to see past him. Jongin looks out over the tops of everyone’s head’s, glad for once that he’s a few inches taller than everyone else, and counts as quickly as he can.

“There’s almost thirty people in front of us, I think.” Which means about fifteen pairs.

“Probably won’t be waiting that long then,” Kyungsoo says, relieved. While he doesn’t speak up much, Yoona and Yuri are gossipping excitedly; raving about how they’re going to be the best, most in-sync pair of magician’s the world has ever seen, ever. Kyungsoo doesn’t make them seem like a nuisance at all. Jongin is glad for that.

“Hey! Fancy seeing you guys here.” Comes a loud and jovial voice. The group turns to the source of the call, and sees Baekhyun with Taeyeon approaching them from the council building.

“Taeyeon!? Baekhyun?! You two-?!” Points Yoona as she gawks at the two of them. The new partners wave their entwined hands at them, grinning widely at each other.

“Wow, it almost feels like you two just got married instead,” laughs Yuri, “who asked who first? I bet it was Taeyeon,” she teases. Everyone chuckles as Baekhyun tries to splutter a comeback,

“Actually-,” He starts, but Taeyeon is already pulling him away.

“Come on! We can tell our parents, they’ll be so happy,” she exclaims, already bouncing away uncharacteristically, “we’ll catch up with you later!”

The two rush off hand in hand, grinning and laughing like newlyweds, The girls gush at each other excitedly and Jongin only shakes his head, eyes glimmering with mirth. There is a brief moment where Kyungsoo meets his eyes but he is quick to look away.

Eventually, they reach the entrance. They don’t have to wait much longer before someone comes out to fetch them, looking a little rumpled. She’s probably been running back and forth all morning. Just before Kyungsoo and Jongin go inside, Yuri pulls Jongin down so she can whisper something in his ear,

“Every time you laugh or smile, he looks at you like you’re the most beautiful thing he’s ever seen.” Yuri winks, as if what she just said was totally normal and slaps his shoulder gently, “Good luck~!” She says a little louder, implying more than just for the partnership spell. Both she and Yoona giggle, as he turns away hastily. Jongin wills himself not to blush like a beetroot and pretends to rub his nose to cover his face. Kyungsoo looks at him questioningly, but Jongin just shakes his head.

“Come,” the councilwoman says, impatient.

 

“Registering as a partnership is simple enough. It’s mostly just paperwork.” The elderly councilman says, his beard grey and wispy. Jongin doesn’t think he’s ever seen someone so old. “It’s so we can have records of who is off where and with whom, et cetera.” His eyes, surrounded by deep set wrinkles, dart between them warily. He has seemed a little on edge since the moment the two of them were sent into the room.

All of them are sat around a low table, covered till almost overflowing with different papers and scrolls. The ink tray isn’t even visible anymore, only the gilded brush handles.

“What information do you need?” Kyungsoo wants to know, taking charge. Jongin is grateful for this, as he wouldn’t know where to even begin.

“Oh, just names, dates of birth- basic information, really.” The old man rummages through the stacks of paper on his desk until he finds the ones he needs, placing them on the top of the pile. Then busies himself with trying to sort out the mess.

They waste no time in starting to fill out the forms, writing theirs and each other’s names at the top. The next thing to fill in is their birthdates. Jongin blanches- he isn’t sure of his exact birthdate. Farmers don’t need to mark the days of the year in such a precise manner, they measure the years by seasonal weather and how the crops are growing. He only knows that it was early in the year when he was born. During the season of rain and cold, when the crops had already been harvested.

“You know which year, right?” Kyungsoo whispers, somehow knowing the problem before Jongin can say anything. Jongin nods, the year of the great bear. “As long as you know that, you can put down anything that sounds right. No one will know.”

“Ok.” Jongin whispers back, taking his time to write everything out. His handwriting is still not perfect, but it’s eligible. That’s all that matters, he tells himself, it doesn’t need to be perfect calligraphy.

The rest of the form is easier as he can copy most of it from Kyungsoo, like his residency when not on a mission. All that is needed after that is a signature of consent.

“It’s a spell,” Kyungsoo explains, “If we don’t sign for consent, then it won’t work.”

“What kind of spell?”

“An intermediate level binding spell. It’s just so that we will do our best to help each other out in times of need.”

“Oh.” Well, of course Jongin will agree to that. He signs the paper, his signature looking akin to a child’s scribble. Maybe he should work on creating a signature that looks different to his normal writing, like Kyungsoo has, when he has time.

“Unless I’m mistaken, this particular one is character based. A tattoo that stays hidden most of the time, but alights when the other person is in danger.”

“T-that’s right.” The elderly man interjects, stuttering, “The character is actually one that is rarely used, until now of course. It is the character for ‘companion’.” He says. Kyungsoo nods in understanding and Jongin wishes, once more, that he could have waited a little longer before he graduated. He would know this spell if he’d had more time to learn.

“The normal way, I assume?” Kyungsoo says.

“A little different, actually.”

“Oh?”

“Because it is a two way link, it’s just a little more complicated.” The old man turns around to pick up two vials of gently smoking white liquid. “Please, drink these. It helps the spell to ‘stick’, since this spell is being performed on a person rather than an inanimate object.” He hands one to each of them.

The old man flinches when Jongin’s skin accidentally touches his. Suddenly Jongin is flung back to his childhood and memories of the adults in the village, who wanted nothing to do with him. He bites the inside of his cheek and locks the misery away. Kyungsoo’s arm somehow brushes against his, reminding him that there’s at least someone who will look past his curse.

They gulp back the cool white liquid, tasting like water mixed with flour, and wait a few moments for it to settle.

“Where would you like the character to appear? Most people choose somewhere they can see easily, like their hand or forearm. Not their, ahem, rear end.” He sounds as though someone had suggested that before. Jongin is willing to bet it was Baekhyun.

“I think our hands would be good,” Kyungsoo says, looking to Jongin for confirmation. Jongin nods, hopefully this won’t be too difficult to do. Since the day Kai ‘borrowed’ his body, he has been more aware of magic; able to feel its’ presence around him. He has even cast a few very simple spells, with Lord Do’s guidance, but he’s never done one without help.

“Rather than writing the character on your own skin, you must write it on each others’.” The old councilman explains, “then once both of the characters are drawn, you must work together to tie the threads together.”

“Follow what I do,” Kyungsoo murmurs, taking Jongin’s hand. Jongin blinks and looks all around the room bashfully, before remembering that he’s meant to be watching Kyungsoo do this. Kyungsoo has seen him completely before; their hands touching shouldn’t feel like a big deal, but it does. Kyungsoo’s hand is cool and steady as he holds Jongin’s, and his mind wanders to what those hands might feel like-

“Jongin?”

“Yes.” Jongin scolds himself; that kind of thought should be reserved for when he’s alone. Not for when the object of his illicit fantasies is sat right before him.

“Watch closely,” he says, “this character is not overly complicated, but if you get it wrong it might not work right.”

“I understand,” He replies. Kyungsoo uses his finger to trace over the palm of his hand, and Jongin can feel lines of magic twisting and forming under his command. It’s like the magic is stitching itself onto Jongin’s skin. It’s amazing, the way it all seems to stick together.

“There,” Kyungsoo says when he’s done, letting go of Jongin’s hand and holding out his own.Jongin finds his partner’s hand is a little smaller than his own, but his pale hands are far from delicate; they are covered in burns and small scars.

Taking a breath to prepare himself, Jongin begins.

The magic is elastic, stretchy, and has a pull of its own. Yet it’s incorporeal all at the same time. He is surprised by how easily the magic bends to his will now, it takes more concentration to sense it than to control it. Jongin completes the first part of the spell in almost no time at all. When he looks up, Kyungsoo is smiling fondly at him.

“Now we just have to merge them together.”

“This is the hard part,” the councilman says, “you must pick a thread of magic from your own character and entwine it with the one from the other’s. It is vital that you weave it into the other person’s thread. Is that clear?”

“Yes.” Kyungsoo says, beginning to unpick a thread of magic immediately. Jongin copies him, a beat later, following his every movement as best he can. They twist the threads until they almost become one thread.

“Now just tie it back into what’s already there,” Kyungsoo instructs, “make sure it’s stable.”

“Done!” Jongin lets go of his hold on the magic and allows it to fade back into the peripheral of his senses, so he doesn’t notice it anymore.

“Fantastic,” the councilman claps his hands thrice, “I’ll keep these forms for our records. You are now officially a partnership. I hope you help maintain peace in this land.” He says, eyeing Jongin warily.

“We shall do our best,” Kyungsoo says curtly, rising to his feet and bringing Jongin with him. His grip on Jongin’s arm is tight as they bow politely.

Only once they have left does Kyungsoo let him go.

“They infuriate me,” he says by way of apology, “I’ve heard the way some of them talk about you, as if you’re nothing more than a vessel for that blasted demon. They should all be ashamed of themselves.” He glares at the demon in question.

“It’s ok,” Jongin says, trying to appease him. Kyungsoo gives him a sad look.

“No. It isn’t.”


 

Now that they are partners, it is up to them what they do. Rather than instantly leaving to hunt down demons, like many other newly graduated magicians, Kyungsoo had suggested it would probably be best if they stayed in the village for a while longer. Just so they could practice together, and so Jongin could continue with his studies. Jongin is grateful for Kyungsoo’s thoughtfulness, though he wouldn’t have hesitated to follow him wherever he went in the country to search for demons to quell.

It doesn’t feel like all that much has changed, really; they still practice regularly and spar almost every day. Jongin still studies diligently and reads almost all the time when not honing his fighting skills.

It’s a little lonely these days, quieter now that most of the graduates his age have left. Yoona and Yuri were like rays of sunshine, always happy and helpful. He misses them.

 

-

 

Jongin stares intently at the candle before him, trying desperately to enter the meditative mind state that Lord Do has told him will help improve his resistance to Kai. If he can do that and  if he practices, soon Kai might not be able to take control of his body; unless Jongin permits him to. The flame sways gently in the light breeze from the open window, not seeming to notice Jongin’s intensity as he almost glares at it. He resolutely ignores Kai, who is drifting by, disdain evident on his face.

“Relax.” Kyungsoo’s voice beside him makes him jump. “You look like you’re trying to hold in a fart.” He teases. Jongin’s mouth falls open in indignation. Maybe he should have chosen a place other than the lounge room to do this, somewhere he could have privacy.

“I’m trying to meditate.” He informs him primly.

“You’re doing it all wrong. Don’t you remember when we meditated together, back in your hometown?”

“Yeah.” Jongin thinks back to that time fondly.

“You need to focus more on your breathing. Close your eyes.” Kyungsoo instructs, blowing the candle out and moving it aside so he can sit opposite him. “Breathe in slowly.”

 

Jongin opens his eyes to whiteness. It’s the same space where he and Kai had made their agreement all those months ago, but this time the demon isn’t here. He’s all alone, floating in nothing. For a moment he is confused, flailing and trying to swim futilely, before everything starts to fall into place. He walks, his feet touching on nothing but air. Where am I? He wonders, frowning at the empty space around him.  Pursing his lips, he sits down where he is, since it makes no difference, and thinks hard. He was just meditating with Kyungsoo a second ago, trying to enter his inner mind.

He tilts his head critically; this must be it. It’s very different to the last time he meditated- maybe it has something to do with his recent connection to magic?

It would be nicer if there was some grass, and a few flowers, he thinks, it’s very barren. He blinks, and suddenly the space surrounding him is filled with camellias and lilies; fragrant and beautiful. Smiling, he uses a finger to draw one nearer to him, enjoying the sweet perfume of it. Did he do that? It is his mind after all, he should be able to do what he wants. Picturing a small stream, he doesn’t open his eyes until he can hear it trickling by. Sure enough there it is, sparkling even though there is no sun here. How is he supposed to use this to keep Kai out?

It’s lovely, but nothing makes sense. How would he be able to keep Kai out of here? What he needs is some kind of anti demon shield, or a wall so thick he could never get through it. Like the one surrounding the main courtyard outside the palace.

He gets up, feeling the imaginary grass on his bare feet. Stomach filled with butterflies, he holds his hand out; a brick appears there. He lays it down on the ground, then wills another to appear. Brick by brick, he builds himself a castle. Only a small one, just big enough to contain him with space to spin around with his arms outstretched, but it’s strong and sturdy. There’s a thickset door, a lot like the one at the front of the palace, which will only open if he allows it. Satisfied at last, he allows himself to settle in the middle of his creation and smiles. He feels safe in here, though it’s only in his mind; not real.

Let’s see Kai try and get through that, he thinks smugly.

Now that that’s done, he supposes it’s time to get back to the real world. Where Kyungsoo is waiting.

 

He awakens slowly, his eyes feeling like they’ve been glued shut.  His head aches, and he feels a kind of exhaustion he has never felt before. He’s used to physical fatigue, but not tiredness that’s just in his mind.

He blinks a few times, squinting into the darkness. Was it dark when he started? He hadn’t thought so- it had been midday. How much time has passed while he was meditating? There is a bowl of rice, long cold by now, sat next to him. His stomach rumbles loudly and he snatches the bowl off the ground, shovelling it into his mouth.

“Oh, you’re awake?” Jongin turns around, mouth bulging with food. He hides his face with his hand when he realises it’s Kyungsoo checking up on him, hurrying to swallow so he doesn’t look like an idiot. When he comes into the dim glow of the moon, streaming in from the window, Jongin can see that he looks tired. Did he stay up just to make sure Jongin is ok? Jongin’s heart throbs.

“Are you ok? You were meditating for far longer than we expected.” He was worried about him. Jongin smiles, and rubs his eyes. Kyungsoo crouches next to him, and Jongin notices that he’s wearing bed clothes.

“I’ll be ok. I’ll just finish eating, I think, then I’ll go to bed.”

“Alright.” Kyungsoo says quietly. The other man watches him silently for a moment, something shining in his eyes. “Sleep well.” He says, leaving Jongin alone again to finish his meal. Jongin watches him go, touched that he stayed awake this late, just to make sure he was ok.

 

-

 

“Harder!” Kyungsoo barks, “You’re not trying hard enough!” Kyungsoo easily dodges all of Jongin’s blows. Jongin furrows his eyebrows in concentration, sweat dripping down his face and muscles burning. They’ve been working hard all afternoon and Jongin is getting sloppy from fatigue. Kyungsoo is red from exertion too, but somehow his movements are all still perfect. Jongin refuses to give in, however, wanting to prove that he can keep up, even if he can’t. All that can be heard in the courtyard they’re practising in, is the sounds of their hits landing, interspersed with shouts of “gyaap!”. In a succession of fast blows, Kyungsoo takes Jongin down and he hits the grass, hard. Kyungsoo lands on top of him, pinning him down with his forearm across his neck and his knees either side of his waist. Jongin freezes. Both of their chests are heaving, and Kyungsoo is staring down at Jongin with an indecipherable look in his eye. If someone walked in on this, what would they think?

Kyungsoo’s adam’s apple bobs up and down with each breath,

“I think that’s enough for today,” he says. Kyungsoo gets off Jongin quickly and professionally, brushing himself down then offering Jongin a helping hand. Jongin takes it, heaving himself onto his feet. They both head to the baths, not speaking much during the walk. Both of them are too tired to make good conversation and Jongin is still reeling from the intensity of Kyungsoo’s stare. His heart is racing and he can no longer tell if it’s from the exercise or their close proximity just now.

 

-

 

A messenger bursts into the study, followed by a servant, where Jongin was having a runes lesson and Kyungsoo was experimenting with alchemical serums. Lord Do looks up in alarm and Jongin covers his gaping mouth. Kyungsoo almost launches a concoction to the other side of the room in shock, the slam of the door having made him jump.

“Forgive me, my lord. We are in dire need of magicians; Kyungsoo and Jongin have been requested.” The messenger announces frantically,  “You must report to the main building immediately.”

“What has happened?” Lord Do asks, starting to get up. Jongin helps him to his feet and they all march quickly after the messenger, struggling to keep up.

“There has been an incident in the south-west; the council will explain everything to you in due time.” The messenger informs them. Kyungsoo and Jongin share a worried look, but say nothing more until they reach the main building. Baekhyun and Taeyeon are already there, waiting for them in the cushioned seating area opposite the council seats. The pair had been one of the only high ranking pairs left on the compound after many magicians left to find their own demons, Yoona and Yuri were currently on a calling elsewhere.They smile grimly at them as they enter, all of them knowing that, whatever the reason they have been called in here, it can’t be good.

“Hey,” Baekhyun says, as Jongin sits down, Kyungsoo on his other side.

“Do you know anything?” Jongin asks, looking up to the tense and wrinkled faces for the council members. Every so often, one of them glances at Jongin. It’s disconcerting. Baekhyun shakes his head.

The man in the middle clears his throat and everyone stops whispering, looking up to him respectfully. He is the head magician, after all.

“I shall start from the beginning,” he says, in his wheezy voice. “Several years ago, there was an outcry in a small village to the south-west. It started with livestock disappearing from the mountains, but it wasn’t long before people became missing too. Shepherds, herbalists, town fighters and even some children who dared venture near the mountains. We recently sent a pair of our best young magicians to investigate, but we have not heard from them since. We do not know what it is taking these villagers, and we have collectively decided that the best option for us is to send you four.” He finishes, looking each of them in the eyes. Kyungsoo shifts minutely.

“Would it not be better to send some more experienced magicians? Are there none nearby?” He says, his tone insolent. Fortunately, the head magician does not take offence.

“There are, but they are currently engaged with other problems.” He explains. “It is more efficient with regards to our resources to tell you directly and have you travel there straight away, rather than to try and contact other magicians in the field.” He informs them. Kyungsoo narrows his eyes, dissatisfied, but nods anyway. His little finger nudges Jongin’s where it rests on a cushion.

“How far away is the village? And what other information do you have for us about the mysterious disappearances? Is it a rogue spell, or a demon? Or something else entirely.” Taeyeon tentatively asks the questions and Kai seems to perk up at the mention of demons. The head magician flinches, not thinking that the four of them would be so inquisitive.

“As of yet we do not know what it is exactly. We are confident in your abilities to find and eradicate any kind of threat that may be plaguing the area, however.” He insists. Jongin thinks they are sending all four of them, simply in the hopes that at least one of them might come out alive in the end. None of them seem to have any idea what’s out there. It must be awfully strong if, whatever it is, managed to defeat a pair of the best magicians.

“Who were the pair sent?” Kyungsoo asks, his patience already wearing thin at the insolence of the council. The other three looked to the council also, just as curious. It wasn’t often that two pairs of magicians get sent on one mission, especially when the majority of the pairs come from noble families. A hush falls on the council room and the elders look hesitantly at each other.

“The Jung sisters,” the head magician finally admits, “The beloved Jung sisters, Sooyeon and Soojung.”

Kyungsoo looks infuriated but says nothing. Although he knows the Jung family fairly well, he also knows that the council only wishes to remain in high favour with the Emperor. They do not really care for any of their well being, especially not Jongin’s. They should know that Jongin is not ready yet. This is a test.

“When should we leave?” This time it is Baekhyun who speaks up, he places his hand on top of Taeyeon’s who was distraught that her friends had been captured. This leaves only Jongin to have remained silent throughout the entire meeting.

“As soon as possible. With every day we waste, the chances of recovering two of our best magicians wanes.”

 

They pack lightly, Kyungsoo tells him the necessities he should bring and gives him a small bag to put it in. He explains that when he met Jongin, he had not been on an assigned mission. He had just been travelling around the country, which was why he had so many things. And so many other people with him, too.

 

“I don’t like it.” Kyungsoo complains, not for the first time. “There is no need to send us at all; they are trying to force you to fight again. It sickens me. They are using you as a weapon.”

“If I can be useful, then I don’t mind,” Jongin tries to say, though he isn’t sure it’s entirely true. Kyungsoo is quick to turn his glare on him.

“Don’t defend them. They ought to know better than to send a green magician on a mission like this, even if they do have otherworldly assistance. It’s inhumane.”

“You’re right.” Jongin admits. It does feel an awful lot like they don’t care about his wellbeing. At least Kyungsoo cares, he thinks, his heart lifting. Kai drifts into his line of vision and he looks away.

They are ready to leave the next morning. After bidding farewell to Kyungsoo’s father, they make the short walk to the stables to wait for Taeyeon and Baekhyun. For some reason, the walk makes him think of home, even though nothing around here resembles where he grew up. He wonders briefly what his family is doing now, without him. Are they eating well? He wants to send them a letter, but neither of his parents can read, so there’s no point. Maybe he should send them some money, if he receives any for completing this mission. Kyungsoo leaves him to his thoughts, silently helping him saddle his horse. It had a shiny golden brown coat, Kyungsoo had joked before that he was given this one to match his own skin tone.

“-just don’t see why!” Baekhyun’s voice, loud and combative, breaks through his trance. He’s still complaining about having to leave on such short notice. Or maybe he’s moved on to something else now.

“I’m sure the Jung sisters would be happy to hear you talking like this.” Taeyeon scolds, “especially when they’re in danger.”

“But they’re annoying!” He wheedles, “we were just going to get some free time with each other too!”

Jongin rolls his eyes and brushes him off. He really doesn’t want to know what they get up to in their spare time.

“They’re only annoying because you grew up together and never really got along,” sighs Taeyeon in exasperation, “but, they’re my friends…”

She trails off and Baekhyun quietens down. He understands how Taeyeon feels about the sisters, he did grow up with them after all. Baekhyun is only whining like this to keep Taeyeon’s spirits up, she had been quieter than usual since the news of her friends’ disappearances. Truth is, Baekhyun looks slightly worried too. He probably doesn’t find them as annoying as he makes out, Jongin thinks. It’s probably a relationship like the one he had with Sanghyuk; playful bickering, hiding true affection.

 

The ride to the village in the south western village is a silent one, each person left to their own thoughts. It’s only a day or so’s ride, but Kyungsoo says it’s nothing compared to some journeys the magicians have to take. It must irk him to no end, knowing that the Jung sisters are given missions so close to home, just so the council can keep a close eye on them. Kyungsoo had been complaining about that too when they were packing.The council enjoys the Emperor’s favour towards the Jung family, and the leniency the monarchy provides them. They want to keep that favour for as long as possible. Jongin glances to Kyungsoo and sees how tight his hands are, on the reigns of his horse. He knows why it’s so rare to find magicians around the country now; the council tries to keep them as close to the capital as possible. It’s why so many magicians tend to leave of their own accord, especially those who are not weighed down by their family’s name. Jongin feels like their talents are being wasted.

He urges his horse towards Kyungsoo, close enough so he can nudge him gently with his leg. He gives him a gentle smile when Kyungsoo looks at him questioningly. He knows he’s not ready, especially not for a mission like this. But if he can just help Kyungsoo in any way, that is enough for him. And if he can do it without having to rely on Kai, then all the better.

The mountain, that the village is built around, is not the largest in the mountain range. But it is the the greenest, not even bearing a white peak of snow. The sun sets beautifully behind it, setting the sky ablaze with oranges and pinks.

As the first of the small houses come into view, reminiscent of his own hometown, that is east to the capital, they notice the stares they are getting from the villagers. It makes Jongin uncomfortable, but the others seem to have expected it. For Jongin, it’s a vicious reminder of his past. Whilst the others whisper quietly amongst themselves, or stare silently ahead, Jongin tries to smile at the people who are openly gawking at them. No one smiles back. He supposes seeing people dressed so lavishly, let alone on horses, is going to attract attention whether he likes it or not. And, as always, it is disconcerting to see Kai drift carelessly through them all.

Suddenly Taeyeon halts, her face a foreboding shade of white. She shakily points to two horses, tied up outside an inn.

“Those are Sooyeon and Soojung’s.” Taeyeon says, barely audible above the growing crowd’s murmuring. Baekhyun frowns, his horse stepping back and forth a little. If their horses are still there, then that means the Jung sisters had assumed that whatever was taking these people would be easy to take care of. Their first mistake.

Baekhyun dismounts quickly, handing the reigns to his fiancée, and goes to ask the innkeeper about the horses. The burly man looks at them all; four young magicians in silks and tightly bound hair. It’s almost like he’s seen it all before… and he probably has.

“They said they were ‘ere on emperor’s orders. Lookin’ for whatever’s been taking our people. About time, too, it’s been lurkin’ for years. But they ain't come back. It’s been a month- an’ I’ve been feedin’ and waterin’ the horses. I don’t want no trouble with dead animals, nor magicians, ya see. But I don’t want to come out of this in debt, yanno?”

“We’ll compensate you for taking care of the horses, of course.” Baekhyun promises, pulling out a pouch of gold; deliberately letting the coins jingle. He pulls out a coin and tosses it playfully in the air. The innkeeper shifts his eyes warily, making sure no one is watching, and shoves the handful offered to him into his pockets. Jongin blinks, surprised that Baekhyun was able to handle that much gold without batting an eyelash. Even when buying his new clothes, Jongin never actually got to touch any money- it was Lord Do paying for all his amenities. He wonders if he will ever be that brazen about his earnings.

“Thank you.” The innkeeper says, satisfied with the outcome, not even having to bargain with them. “Is there anything else I can do for you?”

“If all goes to plan, we would like to head out in the morning. We should be back by tomorrow evening at the latest,” Baekhyun says, “If you would kindly take care of us and these two horses until then, it would be greatly appreciated,” he says, brandishing another gold coin.

“Of course,” the innkeeper agrees easily, pleased that Baekhyun has turned out to be such a lucrative customer.

“What’s the fastest way to get up to the mountainside?” Kyungsoo asks, all business.

 

-

 

The procession of horses, treading carefully one by one over loose rocks and grassy knolls, must look strange to the average viewer. They had passed far too many fields to count, in the foothills of the mountain, but now the area is more forested. The pathway is suddenly too narrow, meant for travellers on foot and maybe a herd of small cattle. There is a sheer drop on one side of the mountain path, as they zigzag their way up; the journey suddenly going much slower than they thought.  

They had awoken early, Baekhyun and Taeyeon had shared a room. The other two had had separate rooms, promising to tell no one of the couple’s pre-marital indiscretions.

It’s already approaching mid afternoon, and they are nearing the midway point of the mountain, but still there is no sign of trouble.

“It has to be nearby.” Kyungsoo murmurs to himself, fingers brushing his amulet. It must be giving strong readings, Jongin surmises, keeping an eye out for anything unusual. His surroundings are mostly just trees, however, with the occasional jagged rock. There are some pretty yellow flowers, too, growing out of some of the larger rocks. Smiling, he plucks one from the rock and tucks it behind his ear; if this weren’t a serious mission, he would be enjoying this a lot more. Maybe once this is all over, they can spend the rest of the day exploring the forest.

Gradually, the path gets wider until it’s wide enough for the young magicians to travel in pairs. Kyungsoo rides next to Jongin, watching him thoughtfully. Jongin shyly looks away, wondering what it is that has Kyungsoo’s attention, until the man himself points to the side of his head.

“Pretty,” he says, smiling. Having forgotten about it, Jongin jolts, and reaches up self-consciously to touch the flower.

“Thank you,” He mumbles. Kyungsoo just smiles wider.

The path continues and the trees become sparser and sparser, until just short scrubby weeds decorate the barren ground. Now that the way is clear, the view is incredible. More than once, Jongin is reminded to keep moving because he is staring out across the horizon. He can see the capital from here, a hub of movement that looks eerily still from so far away. There are more mountains on the other side of the capital, so far away that they’re almost invisible. He shivers from the cold and from the realisation of his own smallness.

Baekhyun complains again that he needs to relieve himself, but refuses to dismount and slow the team down. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, just for Jongin to see.

Taeyeon spots it first, indicating upwards to a ledge, where a cave opening is located. The rim is coated with spikes of clear crystals, that seem to change colour whenever Jongin moves his head. The natural facets of the stones sparkle in the afternoon sun and Jongin gazes at them, starstruck. Surely nothing that lives in such a beautiful place could be evil? The thought makes him sad.

Everyone dismounts, agreeing that it would be dangerous to try and coax the horses up onto that ledge. A convenient rock acts as a hitching post for the time being.

“I’ll head up there first,” Baekhyun says, rolling his shoulders and cracking his knuckles, “I’ve done this before.” Kyungsoo raises one eyebrow, but says nothing. Jongin shakes his head, knowing that Kyungsoo has probably done far more strenuous and difficult things than scale a small rock face.

“Just humour him,” whispers Taeyeon indulgently, too quiet for her fiancé to hear.

To his credit, Baekhyun does scale the wall quickly, followed by Taeyeon then Kyungsoo, leaving Jongin the last one to attempt it. He is slow and hesitant, but with coaching from his partner, he makes it to the top with little trouble. When he crawls over the lip of the ledge, he finds the other three magicians standing just inside the cave, staring at the walls. The walls were entirely covered in jagged crystalline forms, that are still beautiful, but they feel very different up close. It radiates an energy that is putting everyone on edge, especially Kyungsoo, whose medallion is going haywire.

“Y’know,” Baekhyun says, eyebrows pulled into a line as he stares at the unusual formations, “some of these look oddly humanoid.” He and Kyungsoo share a look. Jongin squints at one of the jagged forms and falters back. Baekhyun is right, it does look unnervingly person-like.

“What a weird coincidence,” Jongin says naively, ignoring the way his hair stands on end.

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo agrees half heartedly, before tilting his head and leading them deeper into the cave.

It’s a deep cave, the tunnel seeming to go on forever. They lost the advantage of natural light a long time ago, but Baekhyun cast a spell which illuminates their surroundings; making tiny dots of light dance over them. The crystals are thicker and more built up the further they travel inside, and Jongin finds himself unconsciously drifting closer to Kyungsoo. His partner seems just as on-edge as he does, clutching his talisman and looking around warily as if something might jump out at him any moment. His teeth start chattering from the cold.

“The path ahead forks into two tunnels,” Baekhyun calls back to them, from his place at the front of the line. “We’ll have to split up.” As soon as he hears those words, Jongin reaches for Kyungsoo, fingers tangling in the loose fabric of his sleeve. Baekhyun and Taeyeon’s hands are already joined too. “If any of us aren’t out by sunset, we’ll come back in to get you,” Baekhyun continues, as Kyungsoo sets his own palm aglow so that they can see when separated from Baekhyun.

“It might be more useful to have us in pairs where each partner is with someone else,” Kyungsoo says, “So that we can know if the other is in danger.” Jongin frowns. That is the whole point of having the binding spell in the first place, but he doesn’t want to be alone down here with someone that isn’t Kyungsoo.

“I’d rather be with my partner,” Taeyeon says firmly, “in case it comes down to a fight. We’ve practised together and I don’t know how either of you two fight. It could be catastrophic if we were separated. Whatever this thing is, a demon or a broken spell, it’s strong enough to have stopped the Jung sisters.” She finishes gravely. Baekhyun nods, and Kyungsoo gives in. She’s right, after all.

“Alright. Whatever it is, it has to be nearby.” Kyungsoo says, touching his medallion again. Taeyeon nods.

“Be careful,” Taeyeon warns Kyungsoo and Jongin, leading Baekhyun down the left pathway and leaving Kyungsoo and Jongin alone in the semi darkness.

Alone together, they slowly make their way down the right tunnel, still meticulously looking around. The tunnel spirals downward and it feels as though they are descending further into the heart of the mountain, deeper and deeper. Jongin tries not to be scared, but knowing that they might die down here and never be found is starting to get to him a little. What happened to all of the people that went missing? What are they going to find at the end of this passageway? Jongin is certain that whatever it is, it will not be pretty. Maybe the remains of all the people who were taken, or the source of all this itself. The way Kai is acting, alert and eyes burning, makes him think that it isn’t a spell that’s gone out of control. Kai only gets this way when there is the chance for a fight, and Jongin really hopes he’s wrong about this.

“Are you alright?” Kyungsoo asks quietly, his words out of place in the silence.

“Uh,” Jongin replies dumbly. Kyungsoo stops short, pulling Jongin’s arm to make him stop too.

“It will be ok. Whatever happens, I’ll be here to help you, got that? I’m not going to let anything kill you.”

“Don’t people normally say ‘hurt’ not ‘kill’?” Jongin pouts. Kyungsoo smiles, his hand sliding down his arm to entwine their fingers together.

“That’s a promise I can’t make in this line of work.” He says, “But I’ll do my best. C’mon, we can’t be far from the end of this now, let’s keep going.”

“Ok.” Jongin agrees. Kyungsoo takes the lead, making sure Jongin is following him as always, and lights the way.

 

The tunnel carries on for a few more twists, still venturing deeper into the heart of the mountain. Jongin tries not to think about it collapsing in on top of them.

“There’s something ahead,” Kyungsoo says, slowing down and peering around the edge. The tunnel suddenly widens into a cavern, large enough to hold several hundred people comfortably. Jongin stands frozen in the entrance, transfixed. Large spikes of crystal protrude from the walls, the ground and the ceiling. It’s lovely, but that isn’t what has caught Jongin’s attention.

In front of him are people, their bodies coated in fractals and spikes of crystal. Are these all the people that have gone missing? Stolen away with precious stones growing on them like moss? Kyungsoo walks closer, lightly touching one of the nearby ones with dark eyes.

“I had hoped it was just a coincidence.” Kyungsoo says, turning around to face Jongin. His voice echoes a little, reminding him how big this place is. “Remember the part of the wall, around the entrance of the cave, that Baekhyun said looked like a human? It was a human.” He says. “Whatever it is here, has been stealing these humans and trapping them here. I don’t think it’s a rogue spell.”

“Neither do I.” Jongin agrees. There’s so many of them, piled carelessly on top of each other, it makes his heart hurt. Their job as magicians is to save people, and seeing so much life lost is painful.

“Some of them might still be alive- I don’t know what the purpose of them being here like this is.” Kyungsoo says, splitting the light from his hand with a swirl of his finger. “Let’s look around; maybe we can find Soojung and Sooyeon.” Kyungsoo says, pushing away the sentimentality and forcing himself to be more composed. Jongin nods and starts walking further in. Kai follows him, looking around in mild interest. Jongin wants to ask him what the people are doing here, but he doesn’t think he would get an answer.

Closer to the back of the cave, he discovers, are people who barely even look like people anymore. He assumes they must have been here the longest; the crystals having been given more time to swallow them whole.

There’s no way to save them, he thinks, touching the deformed lumps in apology and turning back. If he’s going to find anyone still alive, he’s going to have to look closer to the front. He starts with a pile of bodies near the entrance, still with patches of clothing and skin uncovered by the crystal. Whispering another apology, he starts to climb onto the pile, looking at every person in search of two girls wearing clothes like his.

Linen, leather, cotton- all the fabrics worn by common villagers. And so many of them, too. They look like they could be fast asleep, though in positions that contort their bodies and with shards of iridescent crystals jutting out of them. He’s almost done searching through his second pile of bodies when he spies a flash of green silk-

“Kyungsoo-!” He calls out, already climbing over more people to get to the wearer of the expensive fabric. Kyungsoo comes at once, leaping over a stray crystallised form to help him. Together, they prise the girl in green away from the rest of the pile and set her down on the ground. Her sister is underneath her, like they were thrown carelessly onto the pile, but she is impossible to move. Already, the crystals have crept over her body, covering part of her face and most of her body, but she is still breathing so there is hope.

“Sooyeon,” Kyungsoo murmurs, crouching next to her now freed body. Jongin had forgotten that Kyungsoo knew the girls they were searching for. To Jongin, he says, “They are…. Were? Some of the best magicians I know. They worked together even before the partner rule and their teamwork was impeccable. It’s… Unsettling to see them like this.”

“They’ll be fine.” Jongin reassures him, placing a hand on his shoulder, “if there’s four of us, we can’t lose-” the whole room shakes and the ground around them rumbles. Some crystals fall down in shards from the ceiling, landing with a tinkle that’s barely audible over the rumbles. Kai’s body begins to swell in excitement, spikes rising from his back and his spidery fingers curling. He says something in his awful voice, something that Jongin doesn’t understand, then looks sharply at the young man. Jongin makes sure his mental walls are still firmly in place, and the door to his mind’s castle securely locked.

“C’mon!” Kyungsoo grabs Jongin’s wrist and they begin running back to where they came from, “That has to be Baekhyun and Taeyeon,” Kyungsoo shouts, sprinting ahead, “If they’ve caught the attention of the demon, then we need to find them!”

Their feet fly over the tunnel floor, narrowly avoiding errant shards of crystals that might be an arm or a leg of a person stolen years ago. They scale the spiralling tunnel thrice as fast as the journey down, when they had been careful and cautious of everything, and continue going upwards through the pathway Baekhyun and Taeyeon had taken. The sounds of explosions and rocks  slamming into each other grows in volume as they grow nearer.

The passageway opens up into another chamber, bigger than the one they had just come from but lacking the remains of human bodies everywhere. In the centre, there is a spiral shape, covered in- or made of?- the same crystal that everything in this cave is. Jongin stands there, gobsmacked for a moment, before he notices that the shell has spindly legs protruding from it, with pincers large enough to cut a human in half with ease. A crab, Jongin belatedly realises, it’s a giant hermit crab!

“Help me!” Taeyeon screams, “hold it still!” She is occupied trying to cast a spell that will immobilise it, while Baekhyun attempts to hold it still, arms wrapped around one leg and heels digging into the ground. His strength is not enough however; no matter what he does the demon barely spares him any attention. It’s eyes, on small protruding stalks, had swivelled to face Jongin the moment they came in.

There is a brief instance of still, before chaos resumes. The demon scuttles towards them, reaching out with its pincer, the inside edge of it like diamond. Kyungsoo reacts quicker; pulling Jongin to the side just in time to avoid being dismembered. Jongin now knows what the sound he was hearing earlier is: the snap of the demon’s deadly pincers. His breathing picks up, and he can feel panic setting in. Clutching at Kyungsoo’s sleeve, he tries his best to reign it in.

“This is real now, Jongin, ok? Remember all your training!” He shouts, only a few inches away from Jongin’s face. He lets go, leaving Jongin to get up on his own while he joins Taeyeon in casting defensive spells. Jongin trembles, looking up at the beast- it’s so big he is having trouble comprehending its size. He swallows, heart racing, then looks at Kai. No, he thinks, I will try to fight this on his own.

Starting off at a run, he charges towards the crab demon, landing a blow on the joint in it’s leg. It doesn’t seem to do any damage. The creature makes a disgruntled noise and turns to the source of the sudden discomfort. Knees shaking, Jongin dives forward to dodge another sharp attack, rolling through a gap between the crab’s legs and towards Baekhyun.

“There has to be a weak spot,” Baekhyun pants, voice strained with the effort of trying to hold the crab still for Taeyeon to cast her spell on it. Jongin grabs another leg and they both heave as hard as they can, pulling it away from their partners inch by inch.

“Its eyes?” Jongin says, thinking quickly. It’s the only weak spot that the might be able to get to; its soft body is hidden away inside the shell.

“I tried that. I can’t get to them because of the pincers. Augh!” He grunts as the leg jerks away from him. Judging from it’s sheer size, Jongin wouldn’t have expected a creature like this to be so agile, yet it seems fully capable of darting around and avoiding their attacks.

Jongin has no idea how to fight this thing; the only one who looks like they’re even holding their own is Kyungsoo, firing off rapid explosive spells and drawing battle runes in the air to hold back the demon’s attacks. He’s the only person to have faced a demon before in a fight.

Jongin doesn’t know enough spells to be of any use and all his martial arts training is useless against something this size. All he can do at this point is hold the demon back and hope that Kyungsoo or Taeyeon finish whatever spell they’re casting.

Everyone was right; he isn’t ready to take on missions like this. If he survives this, he’ll never leave Lord Do’s house ever again.

“Taeyeon!” Baekhyun yells, straining against the crab, “Hurry the hell up!”

“I’m hurrying!” She screams back, her eyes glowing faintly blue as her fingers rapidly draw shapes in the air; it looks to be a very complicated spell, maybe strong enough even to stop the demon permanently.

Everything seems to happen at once and Jongin can’t do a thing to stop it. As if sensing the strength of Taeyeon’s imminent spell, the demon heaves with enough strength to send both Baekhyun and Jongin sprawling on the ground. The demon swipes at Taeyeon with its pincer, slicing her side and stopping her mid spell. Kyungsoo is collateral damage in the attack, bleeding from his shoulder. Taeyeon collapses to the floor, screaming in agony, clutching at the laceration in her side. A doll, torn in half, lies next to her.

Taeyeon!” Baekhyun yells, scrambling to his feet to go to her. Kyungsoo is in front of her in an instant, his own spell forgotten as he defends the fallen magician with all his dwindling power.

No!” Jongin shouts, grabbing his arm, “Get the demon away! Kyungsoo can help her!” Baekhyun looks torn, but steels himself quickly, nodding, although the terror is plainly evident on his face. He draws a character in the air; a battle mark, designed to be as quick as possible to cast. With his hands aflame, he seizes a leg again and heaves, dragging the demon as far from his fiancée as he can manage. Jongin rushes to aid Kyungsoo, helping him to fight off the sharp pincers that strike like an eel catching prey.

Things are looking bad. Kai is watching on like it pains him to be left out of this fight. Jongin grits his teeth. He supposes it was inevitable from the start; looks like he will be fulfilling the council’s wishes after all.

“Kyungsoo.” He says, blocking another strike, “I need to borrow Kai’s power.” Kyungsoo looks at him sharply,

“Can you control it?!” He asks, horrified. Jongin hesitates, but nods. He isn’t sure, but he’s starting to think it might be their only option, besides dying or joining the Jung sisters in the lower cave. “Then do it. I’ll hold it off.” he growls, half crouching and focusing all his attention on blocking the demon blows. Jongin takes a step back, over Taeyeon and out of reach of the demon.

“Kai.” He says it like a command. Kai watches him, speculative.

Jongin carefully unlocks his door and, cringing, invites the demon inside. The demon drifts closer, and raises his hand towards Jongin.

 

He falls to the ground, body jerking and convulsing. Jongin forces his body to relax, clenching his jaw through each wave of pain that means more of Kai’s energy entering his body. It burns, and sizzles in his blood, eating him from the inside. He screams, back arching. It feels worse than last time, because Jongin knows what’s going on: subconsciously, his mind is trying to push Kai out.

 

It’s good to be back.

 

Ungracefully, he rises to his feet, ignoring the sparks of pain in this boy’s body, and roars. This demon is pathetic, acting like a coward and waiting for humans to fall into its trap. Is this what his kind have been reduced to? The name of any demon used to strike fear into the hearts of humans, and now they are merely pests to be exterminated.

There is less of a struggle this time, when Kai begins to run, less resistance to his control. Kai smiles, baring his teeth at the demon above him.

He leaps into the air, throwing his frail body at the crab’s limb and wrenching it from its body with his momentum. It comes away with a beautiful tearing sound, the flesh ripping apart like a symphony to Kai. Its blood, black like all demons, sprays all over him, warm and sticky. The demon screeches; an unearthly sound that reminds Kai of his birthplace. The fallen limb twitches thrice before becoming still.

He just needs to find a way to force the demon’s soft body out of it’s shell, so he can destroy it.

A shriek to his left reminds him that there are other things he should consider worrying about. His mind pulls in two different directions, one needing to protect Kyungsoo and the other craving to shed more blood. The crab demon seems scared now, its eyes turning to him every few seconds, even as it continues to rain sharp blows down on his host, Jongin’s, friends.

He is glad for this; he deserves to be feared again.

The part of him worrying for Kyungsoo’s safety wins over in the end, his body lurching towards the human. Kyungsoo jolts when he sees Kai approaching, all sudden jerks and sharp movements, and loses focus for only a second. Kai grabs him by the elbow and tosses him aside, out of reach of the crab’s pincers. Taken by surprise, Kyungsoo doesn’t fight him, gaping at his audacious actions. The magician seems more baffled than hurt, which is good.

“Be careful!” Kyungsoo shouts, hoping Jongin can hear him beyond Kai’s control. Kai nods. Kyungsoo doesn’t look like he trusts him, which he expected, but he doesn’t care. His host’s partner turns to tend the fallen magician, whose breathing is becoming more shallow by the minute.

Kai turns back to the demon, honing in on its weak spots; its eyes, the joints of its limbs, and the soft unprotected part of it, which is inside the shell. He knows that if he can somehow pull the shell off, or rip the demon out, then it will be all too easy to finish it off. He grins, a slow maniacal laugh escaping him which gradually becomes louder and louder. The demon starts to look nervous, scuttling away from him but unable to go anywhere because of the smaller magician clinging onto its leg. Throwing his head back, Kai snarls, black energy pulsing through his body and his fingers thrumming with it. It burns and makes his skin smoke, but that doesn’t stop him from using it.

The power surges through him. He takes a step closer, the sound of it ringing out in the sudden silence. It’s funny how one move can change everything, he thinks. Kai roars, charging forwards, jumping at just the right moment as the crab demon swipes at him with its huge pincer. He lands lightly on the claw, pushing this body to its limit, running up the length of the crab’s arm. Using all the strength available to him, he wraps his arms around the base of the arm, crushing it, then swings his whole body up and around, twisting it until it breaks. Jongin, Kai, and the dying limb fall to the ground heavily. He jumps back to his feet, knees bent so he can react quickly, and bares his teeth. Both he and the other demon know that there’s no way it’s getting out of this alive.

Now that one of its weapons has been rendered useless, the crab demon tries to retreat into its shell for protection. It’s amusing that it thinks that it will help in any way, if he weren’t restricted to this weak, soft body then the crystal shell would only act as a short delay. His talons would make quick work of it. He dives for the claw still attached to the crab’s body, avoiding the remaining few legs that try to fight him off, and reaches inside the shell. Baekhyun’s persistent hold on one of the legs is stopping it from retreating all the way inside, giving him the chance to plunge his fingers into its flesh. The beast screams, the sound contained inside its shell, and it struggles to remove Kai, to no avail. He pays no attention to the shouts of the other magicians, telling him to be careful. They are insignificant; he has destroyed demons far more powerful than this.

Kai’s hand sinks through it’s skin, its blood spraying out and staining everything black. It gets in his mouth and Jongin has to remind himself that it’s Kai who enjoys the taste, not Jongin.

It’s bitter.

He braces his feet on the outer rim of the shell, and gets a good grip on the demon’s fleshy head, yanking it as hard as he can. Its body, spiralling inside the shell and putting up a fight, but against Kai’s demonic strength it doesn’t stand a chance. Kai pulls and pulls, dragging it out a few inches with each tug. Eventually the beast’s strength falters and it flies out, hitting the ground. The thud of the impact reverberates through the chamber with a sense of finality. Its remaining legs flail uselessly in the air, unable to flip onto its front.

Kai laughs, the sound inhuman, gurgling. Such a pitiful creature. The wide, contorted smile is set in place on Jongin’s face. He jumps, landing on the demon’s soft underbelly and wrenching off its second pincer and tossing it aside so it no longer bothers him. His breathing quickens in excitement as he looks down at his prey, taking in everything.

He wants it to be alive, when he rips out its heart. The best screams are always when his fingers close around the beating organ and squeeze.

Fingers weak though they may be, they are still strong enough to pierce the delicate skin of the crab’s body, ripping it’s body open. Kai’s hand pushes slowly inside and closes his fist around its heart, feeling it beat in his hand, blood pulsing through his fingers.

Its death is disappointing, rather than fighting until the last second, it seems to give up; legs falling slack and body going limp underneath him. Still, Kai prises out its heart, intending to take a bite of his prize.

No, Jongin thinks, I refuse to eat putrid demon meat. He calls on his walls, and his door- the castle in his head-  and forces Kai out of his body. The purple organ falls from his fingers, landing with horrific splat on the ground, marring the pretty crystal floor. Kai fights back, unwilling to let his victim get away from him, but Jongin is determined. He isn’t weak anymore, he’s strong enough to push Kai out. Jongin twitches, body convulsing as Kai tries to cling onto him. He feels cool hands on his face, wiping the blood away.

“Jongin? You can do this!” It’s Kyungsoo, he recognises beyond the tension wracking his body. He keens, unable to scream. Everything hurts, the more he forces Kai away, the more everything burns. He gasps for breath, choking on air.

With one final shove, Kai is dislodged from his body, a black miasma drifting from his chest and materialising into his usual form. Jongin quickly locks his mental door, barring it for extra security, and takes in deep gulps of air, his chest heaving. He closes his eyes, knowing that Kai is probably swelling and silently raging nearby. Jongin instead focuses on the feeling of Kyungsoo’s fingers in his hair. At some point during the fight, his topknot had come undone and his hair had fallen in his face, now soaked in the demon’s blood.

“Is he ok?” Baekhyun asks nervously, from somewhere nearby. Jongin focuses on his breathing, and the sound of Kyungsoo’s deep voice.

“He will be.” Kyungsoo reassures everyone, Taeyeon now mostly healed and leaning on Baekhyun for support. “He’ll have burns all over his body that need healing. I can deal with that, however. Now that everything is quiet, I can tell you what we found on our path.” As he begins to soothe Jongin’s burns, icy threads of magic weaving through his skin, Kyungsoo rapidly explains what they found in the lower chamber.

“You two should go down there immediately. I don’t know how many people will wake up now the demon is dead, but they’ll need help.” He says. Jongin doesn’t see their reaction, but he hears their fading footsteps as they leave.

Once they are gone, there are a few beats of silence while Kyungsoo works on him wordlessly. The pain in certain parts of his body begins to recede. He’s too tired to feel anything other than relief that it’s over.

“I-I was so worried about you,” Kyungsoo confesses abruptly. His voice wavers dangerously, and Jongin looks up at him in shock. There are tears in Kyungsoo’s eyes. Kyungsoo doesn’t look at him and wipes his eyes on his sleeve, sniffing. “It’s so hard to watch, when you’re like that.” He murmurs, “I kept thinking that I was going to lose you.” Jongin reaches up, trying to console him as best he can.

“I’m sorry,” He whispers, hoarse from Kai misusing his vocal cords. Kyungsoo shakes his head.

“You don’t have to be sorry,” he says, pushing a stray hair away from his face, “just be careful. I don’t know what I would do if I lost my partner.” Kyungsoo smiles tenderly at Jongin, wiping some blood from his cheek.

“I don’t know either,” Jongin rasps, “I guess I should just be glad that I’m more likely to get hurt than you are.”

Just as Kyungsoo is about to say something in reply, the air suddenly thickens with demonic magic, startling them both. The pieces of the demon starts to pull back together, threads of dark magic weaving together to reform the crab’s body. Acting quickly, Kyungsoo pulls Jongin’s body closer to him, and single handedly attempts to prevent the demon from resurrecting. Drawing a seal in the air, he sends an explosive spell into the midst of the dark matter; scattering it again. The small explosion sends shards of its body further away, hitting the walls and causing the ceiling to shake again. It doesn’t take long before footsteps approach again, just as the pieces of the body starts trembling again. Appalled, Kyungsoo is unable to do anything other than try to stop it from reforming, using his fading strength to destroy it over and over again. Jongin curls into Kyungsoo’s side, wishing he could lend him what little power he has left.

“What’s going on!?” Yells Baekhyun, skidding into the cavern once again. Taeyeon stumbles in behind him, using the wall to support her.

“The demon is trying to repair itself- what are you two doing back here!?” Kyungsoo yells, firing off another spell.

“We didn’t make it far before we heard the explosions begin.”

“Its soul. We need to contain its soul, Kai never got to fully destroy the demon right? How could we forget that part?!” Taeyeon cries, aghast. They have nothing to trap it in, and the only thing that can permanently destroy a demon is another demon. At this point, allowing Kai control again is not an option; Jongin’s body would not be able to withstand any more damage.

One of the pincers has already reformed. Baekhyun strikes at it and fights off any other pieces attempting to attack them. Seeing this, Taeyeon soundlessly begins another spell, pushing and pulling the soul into a small shielded orb of magic as quickly as she can. It fights against the restraints, and Taeyeon’s eyebrows furrow in concentration as she continues the spell.

Another pair of footsteps echo through the cavern and Sooyeon stumbles through half carrying, half dragging Soojung.

“Taeyeon! Kyungsoo! Oh… It’s you, Baekhyun.”

“Not important right now!” He shouts, searching through his fiancée’s bag for a replacement doll; something that can be used as a substitute. There’s nothing. “We need to contain it in something.” He grits, starting to panic, throwing things aside. “Our equipment is outside on the horses.”

“Baekhyun, you mean your equipment is outside on the horses. Mine and Taeyeon’s was destroyed in the fight.” Snaps Kyungsoo, holding Jongin close even though the demon’s soul is safely contained, for now. Taeyeon’s concentration could break at any moment and let the demon free again. A droplet of sweat rolls down the side of her face as her hands begin to shake under the strain of the spell. She won’t last much longer.

“She can’t keep that spell up forever! We need to seal it. Now!” Baekhyun panics, hurrying to Taeyeon’s side as her knees weaken.

 

Sooyeon helps her sister onto the ground next to Jongin. Both of them look pale, but Soojung was drained against the crystals slowly crawling over her body again as the demon threatens to resurrect. She’s breathing shallowly, but still looks alert.

“Me…” Her faint voice whimpers.

“W-what?” Sooyeon whispers, leaning down to Soojung.

“Contain… in… me” She tries to repeat herself, breathlessly.

“Soojung…?” Kyungsoo questions, horrified as her meaning dawns on him. Jongin tries to sit up, wanting to explain why exactly that is a bad idea.

“The demon… Use me.” She breathes, “... my fault.”

“No!” Sooyeon cries, shielding Soojung’s body away from Kyungsoo; as if he will take her away “it wasn’t your fault! If you- If you hadn’t been trying to protect me! It wouldn’t have been like this.” She says, frantic. Soojung only shakes her head at her, weakly pushing her hands off with a weak smile; she doesn’t have any more energy to talk.

“It was my fault, I rushed in. You’re- you’re hurt, it shouldn’t be you. It can’t be you. Use me!” She says, begging.

Jongin shakes his head, tugging on Kyungsoo’s sleeve. Kyungsoo looks at him, conveying a myriad of emotions on his face. Pity. Desperation. Panic.

“We need to think of something else,” he says, gripping Jongin’s hand and brushing the back of his fingers across Jongin’s cheek.

“There is nothing else!” Baekhyun screams, “We need to use what we have. Them for the good of everyone else.” He looks so scared, Jongin knows he doesn’t truly mean what he just said, but there’s just no time. The longer they wait, the stronger the demon’s soul will become. They can’t fight it from the beginning all over again; they don’t have the energy left.

“Both...” Soojung mouths, staring meaningfully at her sister.

“Both.. Use both of us!” Sooyeon exclaims, in revelation. “Can the soul be split?”

“I don’t know if that’s possible.” Kyungsoo argues, not wanting to sacrifice anyone. Jongin knows it’s possible, he knows Lord Do has been experimenting; and he knows that he taught Kyungsoo the incantations and runes.

“It’s too risky.” Jongin insists, imagining all the things that could go wrong, all the potential side effects that could come from splitting a real soul; let alone being attached to a broken demon.

“We need… to do… something!” Behind them, Taeyeon’s voice grows more strained. The demon’s soul is getting harder to contain, they only have seconds before it escapes.

“There’s no… other… choice.” Soojung whispers, eyes now hazy and unfocused, “just do it. Please.” Sooyeon holds her cold hand, steeling herself and looks expectantly at Kyungsoo.

Wincing, Kyungsoo moves so that Jongin is sat on the ground by himself; leaving his hand now hanging towards him. Jongin’s stomach falls through the floor in dread; this can’t be happening.

“No…” he murmurs. Kyungsoo refuses to meet his gaze.

“It will be fine.” He says resolutely, as if it will be ok through sheer force of will. “Be ready to seal them.” He directs the order at Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo draws the runes in the air, one after the other, in long lines. It’s the longest spell Jongin has ever seen, longer even than the one Taeyeon was trying to cast before. Apart from Taeyeon gritting out the containment spell, there is only silence in the large chamber, no one wanting to break their concentration. Jongin watches from his spot on the floor, breathing shallowly and wishing there were another way. It would have been nice to meet the Jung sisters in circumstances other than these, he thinks with regret. After this, their lives will change forever. They have no idea what they’re getting themselves into, he thinks. But at the same time, he admires their bravery. He doubts he or anyone would have been willing to take on this burden. He glances at Kai, the demon watching with revulsion. The idea that his own essence could be torn apart too, must be abhorrent to him.

 

The timing has to be perfect; if Taeyeon drops her spell too soon, the demon will gain power too quickly. If she lets go too late, then Kyungsoo’s efforts will be wasted. Jongin’s nails bite into his palm and his stomach coils with tension. Baekhyun’s skin glows as his freshly drawn runes prepare to attract the demon to his position near the sisters. Jongin can feel the atmosphere thicken as Kyungsoo draws to a close, finishing off the last character with determination.

Taeyeon collapses to her knees, setting the demon free for all of three seconds, before Kyungsoo has it caught in his web of magic. It happens so fast that if Jongin had blinked, he would have missed it. The demon’s soul, a barely visible wisp that is hardly corporeal at all, is forced into two halves. Like smoke, it tries to reform and spin together. Baekhyun is too quick for it, his magic tugging it towards him and forcing it into Soojung’s body. The chaotic nature of a demon’s soul clashes with that of a magician, whose instinct is of balance and control, and the wisps fight against him every heartbeat that they aren’t sealed. He rapidly draws more characters to trap it inside her. Kyungsoo is already doing the same to the other half, forcing the wisp into Sooyeon’s chest in the same manner.

The instant the demon’s soul touches their bodies, the two sisters choke, writhing on the ground in agony; Jongin cringes, understanding the pain they must be experiencing. Taeyeon releases a dry sob as she watches her friends struggle for air, mouths open in silent screams and eyes rolling back into their heads. Jongin now at least half understands what Kyungsoo feels, watching Kai take over his body.

Baekhyun has tears in his eyes, but he pushes on, sealing the last of the demon into Soojung. And the end of the spell, both girls are gasping for air, sinking into unconsciousness, a blesses relief from the pain.

 

Everything is silent.

 

They lie there, eyes open, staring at the ceiling without seeing. Baekhyun looks down at his hands breathing heavily. Jongin can’t see his face; but he can see tears dropping from between his fingertips. Taeyeon too has turned away from the two unmoving sisters, she is shaking as she holds herself tightly. Jongin almost forgot that all four of them had spent their childhoods together, it must be even harder for them to see their friends in pain.

 

People trickle into the cavern, awake, now that the demon is gone. Baekhyun tightens his fists and helps his fiancée up towards them. If this is what success feels like, Jongin never wants to feel it again.

Kyungsoo comes back to him, looking about as exhausted as Jongin. He settles down next to him and Jongin rests his head on his shoulder, not caring that maybe he shouldn’t. He wants to know Kyungsoo is still here and, judging by the way Kyungsoo’s arm curls around his waist, maybe his partner wants the same thing.

“I hope that wasn’t a terrible idea.” Baekhyun says, voice small. He’s staring at the limp bodies of the two young women, hagard. Jongin has never seen him look so shaken up.

“I think they’ll mostly be ok. I can’t say for sure though.” Jongin says. Baekhyun smiles half heartedly, pulling Taeyeon closer against him. She and Jongin have suffered the worst of the damage today, along with Sooyeon and Soojung.

Their job still isn’t over.

“We need to go and help the people down below.” Jongin mumbles, peering at the few who have already stumbled up in confusion, but doesn’t move a muscle. Everyone looks away, knowing he’s right but unwilling- or unable- to get up.

“You’re right.” Kyungsoo groans, slowly getting up, “Some of them might need help digging themselves out of that pile of crystal.”

 

-

 

It takes a few hours to get everyone out of the crystal mountain, all of them moving slowly. Covered with visible injuries and clad in expensive gowns, all of the victims of the crab demon understood immediately who they are. There are less than thirty survivors. One by one, they bow gratefully. All of them are weak and waifish, not having eaten in months. They are only alive because the crystal kept them in a comatose state. The smiles they share, mingling amongst one another, are filled with hope and relief.

Jongin just watches, drained. They will have to walk back to the village by themselves, as they do not have enough horses for all of them. Taeyeon suggests sharing out what little food they have brought with them. As a large group of injured and weak people, everyone troops outside into the sunlight, carrying the Jung sisters between them. When they step out of the cave, their faces upturned towards the sky, fingers shielding their eyes from the brightness, it finally feels like their task is done.

Exhausted, Jongin allows himself to smile.

 

Taeyeon and Baekhyun ride beside each other, each carrying one of the sleeping sisters on their horses.

They arrive back at the village, a procession of dirty, emaciated people. Everyone’s eyes are on them, looking to see if someone they had lost is among them. The first reunion is joyful, a family surrounding one of the women they had saved, running towards her and hugging her. The woman’s family, teary eyed and joyful, thank the magicians before bringing their lost family member home.

As news spreads of their return, the streets slowly fill with civilians; all of them jostling to see what’s going on. More and more reunions are made, but even more people are moved to tears in a different way.

 

Not every one that was taken is still alive.

 

-

 

He couldn’t possibly have saved everyone, Jongin knows that, but the knowledge still bears on him like a dark storm cloud. As he grooms his horse, he thinks about all the bodies that will remain in that cave forever. All of the people who are lost and all of those who have lost their loved ones. It is terrible that the lives of so many are just gone forever. He supposes he should be glad that they managed to save as many people as they did, but none of his training or studying, had prepared him for the true brutality of a fight against a real demon.

Kai lingers like a malignant odour, reminding him of everything he hates about his situation. Demons, by nature, are not kind. Yet it still surprises him, the lengths they will go to to enforce their cruelty. Even if it was only trying to feed itself, he knows that it could have survived from the life force of other animals; rather than humans.

He brushes a particularly stubborn patch of dry dirt off, frowning unconsciously. After he has finished grooming his horse, he will see about finding a way to get himself clean.

“Hey.” A gentle hand on his back startles him. It remains there, unmoving and it feels like a lifeline. After everything, Jongin’s feelings towards Kyungsoo have changed, just a little bit. To him, Kyungsoo feels like home now. Like safety.

“Kyungsoo…” Jongin doesn’t meet his eyes. The memories of Kyungsoo telling him he was scared to lose him still fresh in his mind. He continues to brush his horse’s flank, methodical in his brush .

“How are you feeling?” Kyungsoo asks softly, as if afraid to spoil the calm atmosphere of the stables. He has changed out of his torn and dirtied clothes, now dressed in what looks like the same green silken nok wonsam that he was wearing the first time they met, embroidered with golden flowers. He looks like decadence personified, standing there in the light of the setting sun.

“Better.” He sighs. “Physically at least.“

“I just want you to know that this was an abnormal case: most missions are not nearly so perilous.” Kyungsoo steps a little closer, sharing his warmth with Jongin, “I don’t want you thinking that every time we magicians leave the safety of our homes, we are dealing with creatures like this.”

“I don’t. I just hadn’t realised that it would be, well, like that.” Distressed, he leans against his partner. He doesn’t even think about the ramifications of this until Kyungsoo’s arms circle around him, one hand reaching up to his hair. By then, he’s stopped caring.

“It’s all fine now.” Kyungsoo murmurs, “The Jung sisters are safe, resting in a room inside the Inn. Everyone that came down the mountain with us is now reunited with family. Baekhyun and Taeyeon are resting in their room.”

“Good.” Jongin mumbles, resisting the urge to melt completely into his partner’s embrace. Kyungsoo is like a real life incarnation of the castle he built in his mind and it’s heaven to be in his arms. Perhaps being in a life or death situation like that has changed his outlook on life, but he knows that no matter what happens, he will always love Kyungsoo. He had been afraid to word it so strongly before, but he’s sure now; what he feels for the man is indeed love.

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo leans back just a little, so his face is staring up at Jongin’s. “I don’t think there’s any point in keeping this secret any longer.” He says, something in his expression making Jongin’s heart palpitate. He’s looking at him with something akin to adoration and Jongin feels sure that his affections are requited.

“What is it?” He breathes, hoping that he’s going to say what he wishes he’s going to say. The corners of his mouth are already curling into a small smile in anticipation.

“I think I’ve been in love with you for a long time. Nearly losing you today; it made me realise that I should say something while I can, you know?” Kyungsoo says, words barely there. But Jongin is so close that he hears them clearly. His heart soars. He doesn’t wait to dip down and press his lips firmly against Kyungsoo’s.

For one brief moment, nothing else matters. Not Kai, not demons, not anything. Just the sensation of his partner’s lips against his own. So sweet and precious. It can’t be expressed in mere words, Jongin thinks, just how glad he is that Kyungsoo found him that day working at the forge. If he hadn’t then none of this would have happened; Kyungsoo has saved his life in more ways than one. Kyungsoo’s fingers tighten around his waist, their kiss slow now. Jongin savours it, his first kiss and revels in the knowledge that it’s with the man he loves.

When Jongin pulls away, cheeks flushed and eyes sparkling; he is glad to see that Kyungsoo is looking the same way.

“So,” Kyungsoo laughs bashfully, a kind of laugh Jongin has never heard from Kyungsoo, “I’m guessing this means the feeling is mutual?” He sounds confident, but there is still the slightest undercurrent of nerves. Jongin nods and squeezes him closer to his body.

“I’m glad that you found me,” he says, Kyungsoo’s face now buried into his neck.

“Jongin, I hate to ruin the moment. But you haven’t bathed yet, have you?” Jongin recoils, flushed and stuttering apologies. Kyungsoo pulls him back in, smiling widely, and kisses his cheek. “Go and wash yourself. I’ll see you in the morning.”

 

-

 

Jongin spends the night awake reflecting on his feelings for Kyungsoo and smiling uncontrollably. When he wakes up from nightmares, he sneaks into Kyungsoo’s room and lies with him; even though he isn’t awake. He doesn’t dare sleep too close to him, but just knowing that he is so close comforts him.

When he wakes up the next morning, the memories of the night before flood his consciousness and he has to spend a few minutes collecting himself. He wonders when they will be able to do that again. Kyungsoo is not there, so he must have already gone downstairs. Jongin wonders if he was surprised to find him there, when he woke up. Or if Jongin is overthinking things again. He slaps his cheeks and prepares himself to face the day.

The Jung sisters are awake and don’t seem to suffer any side effects of having the demon’s soul sealed in their bodies. Yet. It’s strange, but Jongin suspects that there is going to be something about them. There’s no way you can get away with being linked to a demon, even if the demon is split in half, without it affecting your life. The two girls greet him with a tired smile and open arms. They do not display any regret over their decision. Jongin hopes, in his heart, that they don’t suffer the same experience as him. Even though the two sisters know nothing of him, they still greet him with smiles and kindness. They remind him slightly of Yoona and Yuri, and Jongin wonders how they are faring.

Once they all go back, they will all go their separate ways. The sisters will head back to the palace soon, to report the details of their mission. The elders will want to see them too- Jongin shivers at that thought. Baekhyun and Taeyeon will have to keep their affections for each other subtle. It will be hectic for a while, when they head back. For now though, it is a time to relax.

 

Jongin sits next to Kyungsoo to eat break their fast, their knees brushing against each other under the table. Kyungsoo watches him from the corner of his eye. Jongin shifts slightly, so that their legs are touching all the way from their knees to their hips, a rush of emotion surging through him at the flirtatious action. Both of them smile secretly to themselves.


It’s too soon to know what’s going to change between them, but Jongin feels confident that it will be for the better. As long as he is with Kyungsoo.

 


come follow me on my TWITTER to hear me complain about writing and stuff in general

hey you maybe you could upvote this? itd be pretty neat to get featured or something lol

eventually there will be an extra featuring jungsis so look forward to that :)

this fic, overall, is over 40,000 words long can u believe it?? i cant

after this i'll be focusing most of my attention on How to Raise your Dragon which is another supernatural kaisoo fic, and Light the Fire in Our Hearts which is a collab with sam! both are related to dragons lmao

also i entered kaisooaufest, i wonder if you can tell which one is mine? i think i chose a prompt that was quite typical of me tbh lmao