1/4

diabolical

Growing up, Jongin didn’t realise that he was different from other children. He just assumed that everyone had a giant demon around them all the time. After all, how would he know otherwise?

The creature is massive, standing at over eight feet tall with shoulders too broad for it’s narrow legs, and arms spindly like a skeleton. His eyes shine red and are always surrounded by pitch black shadows no matter whether he stands in direct light or not. But Jongin was never scared of him, not even when he raged and screamed, furious with his loss of freedom and power. It was like they had a connection, and Jongin always knew that Kai could never harm him, or anyone else. That’s why he was so frustrated.

As a toddler, he would babble wordlessly at the demon, unaware of the danger it could pose to him if it weren’t chained to his soul. He would waddle across the straw covered ground, chatting in nonsense languages and drawing smiles from his parents. The creature never laughed, or smiled, but he was always watching and that was enough for him.

Once he was allowed to roam the quiet streets of his hometown, he found that no one really seemed to like him much, but that was ok because he had Kai to talk to. He became known for talking to himself, and it was hardly uncommon for him to be seen walking down the street alone, mid conversation. The other kids made fun of him for talking to no one, but Jongin didn’t understand- Kai was right there. It wasn’t until he was nearing eight years of age that he realised no one could see Kai but him. Telling his parents about the ghoul had resulted in nothing more than indulgent laughter and a pat on the head- it was easier for them to believe that he was just playing pretend rather than showing an aptitude for magic. Training in arcane arts was expensive, and therefore a job for the rich. If you were training in the arts, then you had to be able to pay to live in a fancy house by the palace. Jongin’s family could only just afford to live on the outskirts of their village, on the edge of a dense forest, where the soil was lush and good for cultivating crops. Jongin grew up learning how to turn soil, care for the vegetables and harvest them every autumn. They had just enough to get by, and Jongin was happy there.

Because neither of his land-working parents were rich, he didn’t have good prospects to begin with, and with his reputation as crazy no one wanted to take him as an apprentice either, for fear the craziness would spread to them and their family as well. At thirteen, his father took him to a local ceramicist, hoping that if he received training in a different craft then he could move up in the world and make a new, better life for himself. Maybe buy a new house in the city and live there with his wife, when he came of age.

But when he got there, his father’s hand on his shoulder propelling him forward, the ceramicist closed the sliding door in their faces. Jongin remembers feeling alarmed as Kai growled viciously beside him, and his father banged on the door, shouting that he was a fast learner. No one replied and they were forced to look elsewhere, humiliated. That was one of the worst days of his life.

They tried all manner of people and professions after that, trailing through the village like peddlers, but no one wanted to take him, so they had to head home. Jongin cried that night, for the first time in years, and his mother held him until he stopped. When the tears finally subsided, he looked up to see Kai’s dark silhouette looming over him, and he smiled. At least the ghoul was always there.

He missed the worried look his parents shared.

 

Almost a year later, during which time Jongin mainly helped out at the farm- it was only a tiny patch of produce, just enough to feed them, with a little left over to sell- there was talk of a new arrival in the main village: a swordsmith. Jongin’s father jumped at the opportunity of someone not knowing his son’s reputation. He took him down there the very day after he had moved in. He knew he was being impolite, but he was desperate for Jongin to have a better future than what they had to offer him on the farm.

The swordsmith, named Ilsung, was a nice man, and looked upon Jongin kindly. He took him on, on the understanding that he would walk to the forge every day, for he had no room for him to live there. Jongin eagerly agreed, bowing with every word of gratitude he spoke. All the way home he chatted to Kai about how lucky he was, even if the ghoul only responded with a look in his direction every now and then. With Kai, he had learned by now, less was more, so even if he said nothing, that didn’t mean he didn’t care. Not necessarily, anyway.

Of course, by this age, he had figured out exactly what Kai was. But how he came to be stuck to Jongin was beyond him. The creature never told him anything about himself, so he was left to guessing.

That night there was a celebration. Jongin’s father revealed a container of moderately expensive alcohol, and allowed Jongin to have some. The drink was fruity, and made him feel warm as he laughed with his parents. The festive mood was somewhat dampened by Kai’s refusal to join in, but still, Jongin thinks of that night fondly.

A few days after Jongin had been coming to the forge every day, word had spread of his apprenticeship, and some well intentioned village people had visited to warn the swordsmith away from the boy, claiming that his body was possessed by an evil ghost. They were right, of course, but the swordsmith still turned them away, full of scorn. For that, Jongin could not be more grateful, so he showed his appreciation by working as hard as he could, fetching, carrying and doing all the little tasks that he could do while he was still learning his new trade.

 

The years pass, and Jongin gains skill with the forge, building muscle so to use the hammer well and lift the heavy ore. His cheogori and paji- loose fitting, white clothes- are always covered in filth, but no one minds, because even though he is cursed, or possessed, there is something about his work that is just fantastic. Even the swordsmith himself, by now a wizened old man- remarks that soon he will surpass his own skill. His hand is so precise and his attention to detail is superb. At only nineteen years old, he finally earns respect from the villagers, if only for his trade.

He sighs, lifting the workpiece out of the hearth with his blackened tongs. He braces it against the jig, and, using the hammer shapes it into a curve. It’s one of a selection of pieces that will be used in the building of a house. Although the swordsmith is trained primarily in the making of weapons, there’s not much need for them in this small village. Once it’s finished, loud clangs reverberating in his ears, he dunks it in the quench tank, smiling at the familiar bubble and hiss of the cooling metal.

Kai watches on in disdain, and Jongin wonders if he’s ok, but doesn’t feel good about asking him right now. Even though no one is in sight, someone could pass by and hear him. Rumours can spread quickly, and though most people have stopped openly mocking him for talking to something they cannot see, he knows that one slip up will shred his gradually healing reputation to slivers.

It’s midday, and Jongin is glad he’s in the shade, as the sun is so bright that Jongin can barely look outside. It’s hot in here with the fire burning all day, but he’d rather be shielded from the burning sun. Working on the farm turning the soil in this kind of weather is something he only does occasionally now, and for that he is grateful.

Just as he’s about to lift another rod of metal and place it in the hearth to soften it, he catches a glimpse of something golden outside. At first, he thinks he’s seeing things, but then it appears again.

“Hello?” A voice calls out, soft yet authoritative. Jongin squints to see who it is, but all he can see is a particularly shiny shadow.

“Is someone there?” The person calls again, drawing nearer. Kai’s sudden laugh snaps him out of his daydreaming. Kai never laughs, and this sounded more like a barking dog, but he is smiling his strange, sharp toothed smile, so he must be amused. Jongin sends him a funny look before going out to greet the potential customer.

“Hello!” Jongin greets, bowing deeply. “Kim Jongin; I’m the apprentice, the Swordsmith isn’t here at present. Is there something I can do for you?” When he rises, his eyes widen, and he bows again.

This is no ordinary man! He is wearing an emerald green nok wonsam, laden with golden swirling flowers, and dripping with decadence. Jongin suddenly feels all the grime coating his clothes and is embarrassed. Only someone from a very wealthy family could afford to wear something like that, especially on a day that is not a celebration. What is he doing in a place like this?

“Stand.” The rich man orders. Jongin cautiously stands again, ignoring the howling laughter from somewhere behind him. In his hands, the man holds a necklace; a brass disc, covered in runes Jongin has never seen before and engraved with similar intricacy to his clothing. It’s vibrating ever so slightly, and it makes him uneasy. Is this... magic? He’s heard it talked about, but never seen it before. It would make sense that someone as rich as this has something magical, though.

“Have you been experiencing bad luck?” The man asks, without even introducing himself. Jongin stares, dumbstruck for a moment before the man raises one eyebrow, prompting him to speak.

“Um? No, not lately.” He jumps, nervous.

“Then, have you noticed any unusual happenings? Any strange occurrences?” He insists, eyes intense, making Jongin fidget.

“No, none sir.”  At his response, the man frowns, and glares at his pendant, and shakes it a little.

“Well, alright. I apologise for bothering you.” He turns and walks away, and Jongin watches after him for a moment, then retreats into the darkness, giddy. He drifts around the anvil a few times, collecting his thoughts. He relays them to the ghoul without thinking for a moment about being overheard.

“What could he have meant: ‘strange occurrences’ and bad luck? That had to have been magic he was using, there’s no other explanation. He certainly looked wealthy enough to be trained in arcane arts, perhaps he’s here on a mission?” Kai grunts and looks away.

“But Kai, he was so beautiful. Handsome.” He sighs, “Yes, he was a little odd, but then, so am I. I hope I see him again.” He confesses, thinking back on his petal-like face. It’s true, there is no one in this village as beautiful as the man who stayed for no more than a few moments. Pale skin is not common among people who work in the sun, and don’t have the money to buy expensive cosmetics. He wonders how old he might be- a little older than him surely, but not much.

Smiling to himself, even humming a little, he goes back to his work.

“That man.” Jongin jolts at Kai’s voice, almost dropping his workpiece in surprise. Kai so rarely speaks he has forgotten what he sounded like. It is not a pretty voice; like the crashing of rocks and the drowning of a small animal at the same time, and it makes Jongin want to shiver.

“That man has the blood of my enemy running through his veins.”

 

Although Jongin hopes to see him, the strange, rich man doesn’t reappear, so after several days of waiting in vain, Jongin gives up. He laments often to Kai, who still hasn’t explained what he meant by ‘blood of his enemy’ but can’t do anything about his desire to see him again. It’s likely that he’s already finished what he came here to do, and has returned to the palace. If he is a magician, that is. Maybe that’s what Kai meant. Demons and magicians are well known for being at odds with each other.

 

The swordsmith has taken ill recently, and the forge is left for Jongin to take care of, and the other, much younger apprentice. He hasn’t been here long, but he seems just as enthusiastic to learn as Jongin had been.

Shaking his head, he centres all his concentration into the creation of a new blade- it’s straight, single-edged and when the tip is touching the floor, it reaches the height of his hip. It’s point is rounded, and the blade itself flat, to be as unaggressive as possible. If this gets sold to anyone at all, it will be for decoration, not for fighting with. The hilt will be bound in shimmering cloth in a pattern that creates tiny diamond shapes, and he will etch something into the blade for good luck. The characters he will inscribe are a line from poem that his master loves, about the changes of seasons. With great care, Jongin gives the blade one final polish, before placing it on the rack to be welded to its handle another day. Hands on his hips, he admires his own work, then wipes the sweat off his brow with a dirty hand, leaving smudges on his face.

That’s when Jongin notices another person standing inside the workshop. He starts, wondering why Kai hadn’t warned him, but when he sees his face it becomes clear. It’s the man from the other day, the rich magician man. This time he’s wearing red and silver, the glossy fabric seeming to glow even in the shade. Jongin gapes, remembering at the last moment to bow.

“”I’m impressed.” he comments, looking over the collection of beautifully crafted swords, “you are a skilled man.”

Still bent at the waist, Jongin asks, “Thank you, sir. Is there any way I can assist you?”

“Rise. I am not in need of a new sword, but if I ever am, I shall come to you. No, I’m here for something else. I will ask you again; have you noticed anything out of the ordinary?”

“I’m sorry, sir, I haven’t.” He repeats.

“That is...unfortunate.”

“W-what is?” Jongin asks, wondering why the beautiful man seems frustrated by his answer.

“I’m searching for something, which usually causes chaos wherever it goes. My magic tells me it is here, but this village is one of the most peaceful and harmonious I’ve ever visited.”

“Oh. Perhaps you just can’t see it?” Jongin suggests, feeling sure what he’s searching for is the creature floating just out of arm’s reach behind him.

“What a curious suggestion.” The man eyes him suspiciously. Sweat drips down his back, wondering if he went too far. “You know something, don’t you?”

“I haven’t lied to you, sir, I promise.” Jongin quivers, resisting the urge to hide his face.

“No, not lying, but…” He frowns once again, pulling the same brass pendant from inside his robes, “not telling the truth either. I will get to the bottom of this, make no mistake.” it sounds like a threat, and Jongin winces as the magician swivels on his heels and leaves in a flourish of red.

“What was Lord Do doing here?” Ilsung asks, coughing pathetically as he peers around the doorway. Jongin rushes to help him, worried that he’s making his illness worse. Jongin guides him to a seat, so he can rest. He shouldn’t really be out of bed, but he has always been a stubborn man.

“That man was Lord Do?” Jongin asks, glad to finally know his name.

“Yes,” he wheezes, “a palace magician. Apparently his seeker amulet has been giving him some strong readings- I overheard him speaking at the tavern.”

“Strong readings? What does that mean?”

“I don’t know, something to do with magic I think.” He waves his hand dismissively- magic is not for common folk to know about. Jongin risks glancing at Kai, who is smiling in a self satisfied way, and knows he was right about what the magician was searching for.

 

A few days later, Ilsung has recovered from his sickness enough to start working in the forge again, along with Sanghyuk, the younger apprentice. The thirteen year old had been scared of him to begin with, having heard so many rumours, but they grew closer quickly. It feels nice to have so many people in one room, even if it’s only just big enough to contain all of them. Kai drifts by, sallow face grim as usual. Even with the ghoul in such a foul mood, Jongin enjoys his time here. They’re like two sides of the same coin. One dark and the other light, or that’s how Jongin thinks of them in his head.

Once night begins to fall, and the sky is melting into oranges and pinks, Jongin is allowed to go home, Kai by his side. He is not able to go far from Jongin, physically, and it must be a chore to follow the human around all the time. But there is nothing that either of them can do about it.

“Kim Jongin?” He twirls at the sound of his voice. The wealthy man, Lord Do is standing just outside the forge entrance, this time robed in colours like the sky. How many different coloured garments can one person possibly own? Jongin doesn’t know what to say, so he just bows again, hoping that it’s enough.

“I was waiting for you to finish. Come with me, I need to speak with you,” He orders, eyes twinkling. He turns without waiting for Jongin to respond, expecting him to follow without question. Jongin frowns, unsure, looking to Kai for guidance that will never come. His father has said the man, while truly handsome, seemed arrogant when he met him, and Jongin is now understanding what he means. But in the end he’s too afraid of the consequences of going against his wishes to do anything but trail after him.

The magician leads him to an inn, the one where he must be staying, checking only twice to make sure he’s still there. Jongin nods respectfully to him each time, still nervous. Hopefully his parents don’t worry about him too much while he’s missing. Maybe they will think he’s meeting a girl.

“In here,” Kyungsoo prompts, going into the largest room in the inn. Of course he would have the best accommodation available, Jongin thinks wryly.

It’s very uncomfortable having Kai and Lord Do so close to each other, especially knowing that the ghoul seems to have some kind of animosity towards the magician, and it’s the magician’s job to vanquish him. Jongin looks around the bare room anxiously, noting a large chest by the bed, then stares at the floor in shock. There’s shape drawn on the floor in some kind of black paint. It’s very pretty, a large circle with runes inside- the same ones as on his pendant- but it’s very inconsiderate of him to draw directly on the floor, even if he is rich. He hopes he will clean it off before he leaves.

“Stand here, please,” Lord Do instructs, fiddling with some strange device in his hands. Jongin hesitates before stepping into the centre of the circle, apprehension creeping up on him. What could he be planning? What’s that little machine for? Why is it humming like that? Why is Kai looking even more angry than usual?

“W-what’s -?” Jongin squeaks, staring at the little silver object in Lord Do’s hands, obviously scared.

“This?” He holds it up, and looks at him as if it should be obvious, “It’s a hieronymus machine. To detect magic.”

“Oh.” Jongin gulps. Why does he need to use that? He thought that’s what the pendant might be doing.

“This is more science related than my amulet- they do the same thing but in different ways.” Kyungsoo explains, still fiddling with this machine- Jongin has forgotten the of it name already. “The amulet was responding most strongly when I was near you, and I just- can’t figure out why that is. I need to work this out, so I might be coming back to see you again if what I try now doesn’t work.” He speaks like his mind is elsewhere, and it makes Jongin feel a little stupid. He’s not learned or educated at all, like Lord Do obviously is, it reminds him just how different their worlds are.

Jongin waits stiffly for Lord Do to finish setting up his equipment, all the while wishing he knew what’s about to happen to him. Will these tests hurt? Lord Do sets down a second little machine next to the first one, gently as it must be delicate, and carefully removes his hand. It goes ping and jumps away from him, exploding into hundreds of tiny shards of precious metal.

“Argh!” He exclaims, sitting back on his heels in frustration. He looks at Jongin for a moment, as if to say ‘what’s wrong with you?’ then scowls, picking up the broken pieces. Kai gurgles a laugh.

“I’m sorry!” Jongin exclaims, feeling terribly guilty. He drops to his hands and knees immediately to help him pick up the pieces.

“No, no… I don’t know what this is, but it’s not you’re doing, I’m sure. This is something- I-I’ve never seen anything like this before..?” He frowns, bewildered. Sighing, eyebrows still pulled together, he dismisses him. “You may leave now. I will find you again another day for another test. I’m not leaving here until I understand this.” He says, leaning back over the mess and starting to gather them all up.

Jongin bows his head and leaves without saying anything.

 

The sky is black by the time he reaches his home, the stars twinkling prettily above him. At least there was one upside to being detained by Lord Do.

“Jongin?” His mother greets, “Why are you back so late?”

“Well, on my way home, Lord Do stopped me and took me to his room. He said I have a strong magical reading, and he wants to know why. I broke one of his devices, and he said he will try again to understand why I’m like this.” He takes off his cheogori,  already on his way to bathe.

“You should be careful, dear! If you don’t know his intentions, think carefully before you do anything, ok?” His mother calls after him, concerned that his naivety might cause problems. Jongin nods, waving at them to make sure they know he heard.

The public bathhouse is too far for him to walk to now, so instead Jongin washes using a tub of cool water outside. Lord Do is really a strange man, but Jongin can’t help being drawn to him, in a way he can’t explain. It’s more than him just being beautiful, Jongin is not stupid enough to fall for that, there’s something else there too.

Shaking his head, he lathers himself all over with soap, then he tips the bucket over his head to wash the soap away. The cold makes him jolt back to his senses. There can’t be anything between them, they’re too different. Shivering, he shakes his head and exhales loudly, before heading back inside to the warmth of the house. Kai drifts after him, solemn.

“Did Lord Do seem at all suspicious?” Jongin’s father asks the moment he sits down at the table, before he even hands him a bowl of rice.

“He made me stand in a circle he drew on the ground- which I thought was rude of him: who is going to clean that up later?- and then used a little machine, which broke. But no, he wasn’t suspicious, I think he’s just doing his job.” Jongin explains.

“Do you think it has anything to do with your...you know what?” He looks around nervously, unsure where the ghost might be. Neither of his parents like to mention his ‘imaginary friend’ as talking about it makes it feel more real.

“You mean Kai?”

“Yes, we mean that.”

“I think so.” Jongin agrees, looking down at his rice. But if Lord Do does figure out why there’s such a strong level of magic attached to him, what will happen then? He knows Kai would be pleased to be separated from him, but Jongin couldn’t imagine life without the creature nearby. He’d be lonely.

“Maybe he can help you solve the issue?” His father suggests, quickly filling his mouth with food.

“Maybe,” Jongin reluctantly agrees, watching Kai from the corner of his eye.

 

The next time Lord Do appears, he is bearing a flask with a strong smelling liquid inside. Jongin wrinkles his nose as the man presses it into his hands.

“Drink it,” he urges. The swordsmith’s apprentice looks at him warily, taking in his dark eye circles and red eyes, wondering if this is the kind of behaviour his parents warned him against. He takes a sniff, and almost gags.

“What is this?”

“It’s a concoction that will burn away any maledictions.”

“...Burn?” Jongin looks up alarmed.

“It will not hurt you. If you have been cursed, then it is that which will dissolve.”

“You think I have been cursed?” Jongin frowns, shivering at the thought. “What if you’re ...wrong?” He whispers, hoping he doesn’t take unkindly to this insinuation. He raises an eyebrow.

“It will not harm you in the slightest either way, except maybe offend your nose. Drink as much as you can; I understand it is not exactly appetising. Look,” He takes it back and takes a sip, only showing mild disgust as the flavour hits his tongue.

Jongin takes another look at the dubious brown liquid- it looks like tea that’s somehow gone very wrong, and has a vaguely metallic odour to it. Sighing, he braces himself, then takes a mouthful. It’s revolting, but he manages to gulp about half of it down before he can’t take any more. Slamming the flask down on one of the work benches, he wipes his mouth and tries to ignore the way the mixture sluggishly settles in his stomach. Lord Do is watching him expectantly, waiting for something to happen.

Nothing happens.

Gradually, Lord Do’s face falls, as he realises his assumption was once again wrong. Kai regards both of them with disdain. Lord Do curses,

“I thought for sure that would work. You are a strange one,” He’s already preoccupied with some other train of thought as he picks up the flask and pushes in the stopper. His face is a picture of confusion as he begins to mutter to himself. Pulling out his brass amulet again, Jongin watches him turn on the spot, amused. He has never seen anyone act like this before, so deeply entwined in their own world that the outside has no meaning to them anymore. When he draws nearer to the forge, Jongin is a little concerned, but it seems he is at least aware of his own surroundings enough not to walk into a pit of flames. Perhaps Jongin can get to work now.

Keeping an eye on the out of place Lord, Jongin picks up his tongs and gets back to fixing up a broken pot, careful to avoid him as he holds a piece of metal in the fire, waiting for it to glow red before he lifts it out, moulding it against a rounded shape with a few blows of his hammer.

“Jongin, before I leave, there is something else I wish to discern.” His imperious voice cuts through his concentration and he almost ruins his piece. Dunking it, he looks at Lord Do warily.

“Yes, Lord Do?”

“I should like to check your body for signs of evil.” He states. Jongin stares dumbfounded. He blinks twice, then as he realises exactly what the man is asking of him, feels himself flush to his roots. Lord Do is looking a little pink as well, but he still stands with measured pride.

“R-right now?!” Jongin squawks.

“Yes, Is there a place here where we could have privacy?”

“U-um, in the back, Lord Do.” Jongin ducks his head and leads the way to the small home area behind the forge, where the swordsmith, Ilsung, lives. Jongin wonders if he should really let him be doing this, and if this is another moment where he could be taking advantage of him. Stomach roiling, he slides the door shut behind them, and turns to face Lord Do.

“Take off your clothes.” Lord Do orders, but his voice wavers. Obediently he undoes the belt of his cheogori and lets it slip off his shoulders. It hits the floor momentously, and Jongin can’t look as he loosens the waistband of his paji and lets that fall to the ground too. He leaves on the gosarisokgot and hopes that Lord Do will not ask him to remove that too. It’s the only thing retaining his modesty.

Lord Do walks around him in a circle, not commenting on anything but the way he inspects every visible part of Jongin’s body is unnerving. Jongin hopes he is not visibly trembling.

“Well, you have no unusual markings that I can see.” He sighs, “You may redress now.” Jongin scrambles to put all his clothes back on, face still burning. Lord Do graciously looks away now, and Jongin has never really paid such attention to the floor. There is a scratch in the wooden panelling.

Once Jongin is fully clothed again, they stand in silence for a little while, Jongin wondering what the man might be thinking. He’s not the first person to have seen him ; he’s been to the public bathhouses before, but it wasn’t nearly the same as this. Just now seemed far more intimate, and it’s distressing. Somehow he feels like it should have happened under different circumstances.

“One last thing.” Lord Do resolves, nodding to himself. He reaches under his luxurious clothes and pulls out the amulet, slipping it over his head. He presses his lips together, then closes the distance between them in a few short strides. Up close, Jongin can see every detail of Lord Do’s youthful face, and if he wasn’t blushing before, he certainly is now.

“Hold still,” he whispers, reaching out and looping the thin cord over Jongin’s head. The man’s wrist brushes his ear, setting it ablaze. The brass circle hits his midsection dully, and it’s still buzzing softly, but nothing else happens. With a disappointed sigh, Lord Do removes the pendant from him and shakes his head.

“I will get to the bottom of this,” he vows, “I will see you again in due time.” Jongin bows as he departs, but as soon as he can no longer hear his footsteps, he crouches and hugs his knees to his chest. He feels like his cheeks might be steaming.

“Kai, what do I do?” He laments.

 

The next experiment Lord Do imposes on him is meditation. Jongin has never meditated before so he’s a little excited to understand what it’s about. When he arrives at Lord Do’s room, he knocks on the door and waits for him to allow him in, anxiously bouncing on his toes.

“Enter,” Lord Do’s voice calls, so Jongin does. The floor is clean now, the black circle scrubbed off completely. If he hadn’t seen it, he wouldn’t have believed it was ever there. Was it magic?

“Sit there,” Lord Do points at a spot on the floor opposite where he is kneeling, so Jongin copies him, resting his fists in his lap. The air smells sweetly of incense, two sticks of it emitting curling white pyres of smoke in the corner.

“Close your eyes and breathe deeply,” Lord Do instructs, and Jongin does so, listening intently to everything he says. He’s determined to do it right today. As he exhales, he peeks one eye open to see if Lord Do is doing the same thing. He is.

“Keep your eyes closed,” he scolds, somehow knowing without seeing him. Jongin gasps, and screws his eyes shut tight. “You have to relax,” he says, guiding him into his breathing. It takes a while, but eventually they fall into a rhythm of inhales and exhales, and Jongin feels peaceful, like he’s floating in mid air. Is this how Kai feels when he flies? He decides he likes it, and maybe he’ll try again on his own. Without the fancy incense.

 

“Jongin?” Lord Do’s face fills his vision as he opens his eyes, bleary and disorientated. “Did you feel anything?”

“I felt good.” Jongin murmurs, unsure what the correct answer is. The truth is, he feels refreshed, and sleepy, but he doesn’t want to go into too much detail.

“No itching or burning? No discomfort?” Lord Do watches him earnestly, hands folded gracefully in his lap. Jongin shakes his head.

“No, Lord. None.”

“Hm.” He purses his lips, disappointed again. Sighing, he rises to his feet and opens his chest, pulling out a dark brown object, and placing it before him as he kneels down in the same spot. “In that case, before we end the meditation session, I going to try reading something to you.” Jongin agrees warily, hoping that he doesn’t ask him to read it for himself- he never learned how. Lord Do opens the book in front of him, and flicks to the correct page. The book looks expensive, like everything Lord Do owns, and is illustrated beautifully by probably the best artist around at the time. The spine is looking a little worn, so maybe it’s a family heirloom.

Lord Do follows the lines with his fingers, and his face lights up when he finds what he wants. He begins to read out loud, words he doesn’t understand, but it sounds beautiful. The way his lips form the foreign language is intriguing and he watches his mouth move, entranced. Lord Do’s voice is so smooth, and soothing- it’s like the spell settles inside him and makes his eyes droop. It seems to go on forever. Jongin struggles to conceal a yawn as Lord Do continues his lullaby incantation. After a long relaxing session of meditation, Jongin was already sleepy, and now confronted with the soothing tones of Lord Do’s velvet voice reading to him, it’s so hard to stay awake. Unconsciously, he nods off, head lolling to the side as he tries his best to focus, especially when the man seems to be repeating the same few sentences over and over. A few minutes later and Jongin slumps backwards, before catching himself in the shock of the movement, jolting awake completely.

“Jongin?!” Lord Do cries, dropping his book with a thud, “Are you ok? Did it work? What happened?” He fires off questions too fast for him to keep up. All he can respond with is a yawn, and Lord Do’s face falls, and he dismisses him grumpily, mumbling to himself about commoners.

 

“Aren’t you getting tired of being pulled away from working?” Sanghyuk asks him one day, as he’s cleaning the forge of ashes and excess dirt. Jongin contemplates that for a moment, because he should by all rights be peeved that the high and mighty Lord Do is interfering so much, but honestly? He’s enjoying it. Just yesterday, Lord Do had taken him to a field and performed a kind of foreign dance that was supposed to either scare away and dark magic, or lure it out of him- Jongin wasn’t sure which but he hadn’t the heart or courage to tell him that he looked silly.

“No, it’s fun.” He replies, with certainty. “I’m getting to try a lot of, um, new things.” He laughs.

“Well, ok. If it were me, I’d find him annoying by now. Less commissions means less money.” Sanghyuk complains.

“No, no, he’s not annoying, he’s just trying to do his best, in his own way, I think.” Jongin wipes his hands on his clothes, “and I am getting my work done, so it’s not bad in that way.”

“I keep turning up here and finding the place empty. What if he ends up taking you away from here forever?” He pouts. Jongin’s heart melts.

“Aw, would you miss me?” Jongin grabs him and ruffles his hair playfully, laughing as he squawks, indignant. He does his best at ignoring the dark waves emanating from the creature nearby. Kai hasn’t said anything in awhile, and Jongin suspects that Kai had hoped the magician might actually have been able to detach him. Now his hopes have been dashed, it’s become more solemn than ever, drifting darkly beside him.

“No!” Sangkyuk exclaims, fighting him off, “I would just have more work to do, that’s all!” His red, scowling face says otherwise, however, but Jongin lets him think he believes the lie. He would miss the boy too, if they ever had to part. He’s like a younger sibling, in a way. Sanghyuk turns around and goes back to cleaning his share of the workshop, sending pouty looks over his shoulder.

Getting back to cleaning, he scrubs hard at the baked on charcoal, and soon the lather is a black filth. They really should clean this place much more often, he thinks, grunting as he scrapes off a particularly stubborn bit of grime.

Cleaning takes a long time, and when he’s finally done, Sanghyuk already having finished his part and gone, he’s tired and sweaty and covered from head to toe in black ash and dirt, but satisfied. Huffing and wiping his hands on his already dirty clothes, he steps back to admire the now completely clean forge.

“Congratulations,” Lord Do makes him jump, seemingly appearing out of nowhere.

“Lord Do!” He cries, startled, wishing he was more presentable. On normal days he feels unpresentable next to the splendour the man is always draped in, but today it is worse than usual. Cringing, he refuses to meet his eye. For some reason, he doesn’t want him to see him like this.

“I was going to bring you to a skilled acupuncturist today, but first I insist that you clean yourself up.” Lord Do looks him up and down, nose wrinkled in disgust.

“Yes, Lord. I will go to the bath house,” he says demurely. Acupuncture? He’s never needed that before, but it will be interesting to go.

“Alright, I will accompany you. Be quick, I asked the woman to travel all the way here from the city.” Lord Do intones, already halfway outside. His clothes, the same green as the first day he met him, today shimmer in the bright late afternoon sun, and Jongin can’t stop looking. He wrenches his eyes away, scolding himself for wanting someone he can’t have. He’s never felt like this before and he knows he will be in trouble if he can’t stop this. It will be difficult, but he’s sure he’ll be able to shove these blossoming feelings aside.

 

The bath house is a large and well loved building, comprised of several different sections. Shoes clacking on the tiled floors, Jongin pretends not to notice the stares from the other people inside. The only words either of them say is when Lord Do pays for entry. They must make a pretty strange sight; a Lord and a filthy commoner. No one speaks to them, too scared of their reputations, as they head for the changing room, soap and brush in hand. In almost complete silence, Jongin removes his clothes and places them in a cubbyhole, astonished when he turns to find Lord Do doing the same. He has to stop himself from gaping at his pale skin, several shades lighter than anyone else’s here, and defined muscles. Out of respect, he avoids looking any lower, but it’s harder than he thought. To not look. Frustrated with himself, he shakes his head, trying in vain to rid himself of these thoughts.

Holding his breath, he leads Lord Do through to the washroom and selects a spot at the far end of the room. In here there are three streams of hot water running on raised channels, and equal numbers of bucket stools on each side, with pans placed nearby, to use for rinsing. The floor is always littered with puddles, or flooded, depending on the time of day. Usually he comes here with his parents, though his mother washes in a different area, and they chat quietly as they wash, but Jongin can’t say anything now, and the other patrons conversations have diminished to hushed whispers since they came in. Kai’s presence nearby makes him uncomfortable as well, for reasons he can’t explain, and he never has before. Is he going crazy? He scrubs harder at his body, relaxing more as each patch of skin emerges from underneath the soot.

Lord Do nudges him with his shoulder gently, wet skin alarming, “Shall I wash your back for you?” He murmurs. Jongin gulps, nodding gratefully. “Face the other way, then,” Jongin does so immediately, glad to be able to his hide blushing face.

He feels small when the bristles touch his back, rubbing in small motions to dislodge the dirt that has even managed to stick to him there. His skin tingles as Lord Do works, and Jongin wonders if that’s just because of the brush, or something else. Kai’s expressionless face makes him feel embarrassed, like he’s suddenly young again, caught doing something he shouldn’t. It feels hot, and he knows for sure that’s not just because of the steam. He needs to stop feeling this way, but it seems as though life is conspiring against him. Well, when Lord Do finally gets bored of this, and goes back to the palace, Jongin will have no choice but to forget about him anyway. That hurts, but he resolves to get used to the idea before it happens and leaves him broken hearted.

“Done!” Lord Do announces brightly, “now do me,” Before Jongin can turn around, Lord Do is already sat with his back to him. Jongin wets his lips, and picks up the brush which is set on the ground beside him. He hesitates to scrub Lord Do’s back: his skin looks so delicate- what if he hurts him?

“Go on,” Lord Do encourages. Jongin nods, rushing to accommodate him. He starts off gently, but Lord Do looks over his shoulder at him disparagingly, so he scrubs harder. He’s never washed anyone’s back other than his father, as it’s supposed to be a fairly intimate thing, and no one usually dares go near him, even now that he’s an adult. Jongin wonders what relationship they have now, whether they can be considered anywhere near friends or if Jongin is just a temporary project. Lord Do’s skin is glowing red by the time he’s done, and he feels terrible about it. It’s a good thing he has such soft clothes, otherwise he would be rubbed raw. Now both of them are clean, normally they would head into the bath area and soak for a while, but since Lord Do had already arranged other plans, they can’t. Rising, Jongin picks up all the things to take back to the entrance, and looks up to see Lord Do watching him.

“You look much better clean,” Lord Do nods, appraising his dirt-free body then walking out. Jongin resists the urge to cover himself, highly self conscious, and follows him into the main corridor. What does he mean by that?

Jongin trails closely behind Lord Do as they head back to where they left the clothes- Jongin’s are so filthy that the owner of the bathhouse takes pity on him and lends him a set of robes on the promise that he’ll bring them back tomorrow. Bowing gratefully, he puts them on in a hurry, and waits for Lord Do to finish dressing as well. His clothes seem more complicated to put on than his own, because there’s so many layers, but when he’s done he looks so handsome and regal he could be mistaken for the prince with ease.

“Let’s go.” Lord Do asserts, leading them both outside. “The acupuncturist shouldn’t be kept waiting much longer. Jongin agrees, setting his pace just a few steps behind him as he should, and trying to keep his heart from beating out of his chest.

 

The village is small, and the inn isn’t far away, so luckily they make it there before it gets too dark to see. On arriving, Jongin sees that the acupuncturist has lit several lights around the room, so she can see what she’s doing. There is a small box which Jongin suspects might hold the needles inside, but he doesn’t like to ask. It’s now that the nerves begin to kick in as he remembers this might hurt a little bit. He’s stabbed himself with a needle before, and that wasn’t pleasant at all.

“Jongin, this is Bae Joohyun. She is a well renowned acupuncturist, so listen well.” The lady ducks her head, smiling brightly. He gestures between them, “Joohyun, this is Jongin.” Jongin bows deeply, already nervous. She seems very professional, and if she is well renowned, then he knows he is in good hands so he shouldn’t be scared. And then there’s the fact that Lord Do will be watching him do something that involves him taking off his clothes. Again.

“Please lie here, on your back” She instructs, pointing to Lord Do’s futon. Jongin’s eyes widen, and his stomach twists. On his bed? Where he’s been sleeping for the past few weeks? Hesitant, Jongin steps forward begins to climb onto his bed, trying desperately not to let images of Lord Do sleeping here rule his mind, but Joohyun stops him.

“Please, remove your clothes down to the waist.” Flushing for what feels like the thousandth time today, Jongin subtly looks at Lord Do before obeying. Lord Do is expressionless, but overlooking the happenings in such a way that flusters him. Keeping the sash at his middle tied, he removes his arms from the sleeves and allows them to drop past his waist, before lying down. If he turns his head to the side he might be able to smell Lord Do, so he doesn’t do that, instead remaining rigid and staring at the ceiling. He can’t see Kai from this position, which is also a plus, as it’s presence here is unsettling, like a demon shouldn’t exist in the same place that the Lord sleeps.

“I will begin now,” Joohyun announces, clapping her hands softly. “Please remain relaxed.”

In order to do so, Jongin takes a few deep breaths, then closes his eyes. It feels like he’s waiting ages for her to start, but he’s too nervous to ask if she’s going to begin any time soon. A gentle tingling calm encapsulates him as he waits, and he wonders once again if this will actually do anything for Lord Do’s goals. He has a feeling that Kai is here to stay no matter what they try, and Lord Do has certainly tried a lot of things in the short time he’s been here.Life will certainly feel boring when he’s gone, Jongin thinks regretfully. He cracks one eye open, wondering if she’s actually started yet and is greeted by a forest of needles sticking out of his abdomen- they sway as he inhales sharply from shock. He shuts his eyes quickly wishing he hadn’t looked. A chuckle from above him accompanied by a hand gently patting his forehead both calms him and makes him more anxious.

“Stay still. It will not be much longer until Joohyun is finished.” Lord Do says. His voice sounds strained, and Jongin wonders why, but doesn’t want to look, or dare to ask. Maybe he expected something to happen again.

Lord Do’s hand remains on his head for a few seconds, then vanishes, leaving Jongin in a strange limbo wherein he doesn’t know how much time has passed, or what is going on around him. But he feels energised, in a strange, restful kind of way. Like every part of him is flowing in sync, and he could just get up and dance right there and then. But he doesn’t, because there’s hundred of tiny needles sticking out of his abdomen.

 

When he next opens his eyes, it feels like he’s waking from a deep sleep, and besides the light from the tiny flames flickering in the lamps, it’s completely dark. Jongin bolts upright, utterly confused. Joohyun is no longer there, and neither are the needles, he realises, patting himself down tentatively. Thank goodness.

He’s still in Lord Do’s room, and still on his bed, but where is Lord Do? He looks around, frightened, and starts to get up. It’s so late that his parents are certainly worrying about his whereabouts. It will be cold travelling back home in nothing but a robe borrowed from the bathhouse, but he doesn’t have any other options. Feverish fingers retie his sash, and he slips as quietly as he can across the rush flooring, dodging around Kai. Just as he reaches for the handle of the sliding door, it opens in front of him, revealing Lord Do. His eyes are wide in shock, and he is wearing thin white bedclothes, several layers of sokgot dancing in the breeze that flows through the corridor. Jongin gapes. Lord Do seems much more simple like this, without all his fancy clothes and accessories. His face looks different, and Jongin realises he must wear something to accentuate his eyes during the day.

“Jongin? I didn’t expect you to wake up so soon.” He says, stepping lightly into the room, “You fell asleep during the acupuncture, and we didn’t have the heart to wake you. I sent a runner to your family to let them know, and I will find some spare clothes for you to borrow tomorrow morning.”

Jongin opens his mouth, then, when he can think of nothing to say, closes it. Lord Do half smiles, and looks down. That’s when Jongin notices the folded futon he is carrying in his arms.

“It would be simplest.” He says, as if that is the only explanation necessary, following up his statement by placing the futon down beside the old one and unfolding it. Jongin can’t say anything as he watches on, frustrated at himself for always being tongue tied around the man.

Clenching his teeth and settling his resolve, he edges around Lord Do and kneels in the middle of the futon he was on before, fists clenched in his lap. Once the magician beside him is done preparing his own bed for the night, he sits facing him with one leg folded on its side, the other bent upwards, his elbow resting on it casually. His face, however, is stern.

“Before we sleep, there is something I need to say.” He looks down, “I have run out of ideas that could help you, and I refuse to leave you in a position where a strong surge of magic may incapacitate you in the future, as I don’t know what is causing the abnormal readings. It is my duty as a magician to help in this sort of situation. Therefore, I wish to take you to my father- he has been a magician for a time longer than I, and he might know better how to fix this.”

Unable to reply again, Jongin feels like today has been one shock after another. Lord Do wants to take him to the palace?

“I understand that you will need to to think over this, please don’t respond right away,” Jongin nods, but inwardly he is a mess. As if he could respond right away anyway! Lord Do waits for another few seconds, then rearranges himself so he’s lying down, ready to go to sleep. Jongin copies him, but is unable to sleep. He’s still full of energy from his nap, and even if he weren’t the latest revelation would doubtless keep him awake too- not to mention how he is sharing sleeping quarters with such a beautiful man. Just an arm’s reach away; he can hear him breathing softly.

Then there’s going to seek help from a great magician. The way Lord Do spoke of him makes him think that he must be truly powerful, but what if he really is? What if Kai really goes away? Though the demon rarely speaks, just knowing it’s always there is somehow comforting, and he would be lonely if it was never there anymore.

The same thoughts go through his brain in circles, pausing only to listen to Lord Do when he begins to snore every so quietly, and he doesn’t manage to fall asleep until the early hours of the morning.

It’s on the walk home that he finally makes the difficult decision. He’ll go to the palace. He wants to understand more about his situation, and it's obvious he won't get any answers if he stays here.

 


ok so ive got 4 projects on the go right now at uni an 3 of them are hands on which means ill be in workshops doing all the time so it will likely be a loooonnng while until i get to finish the rest of this sorry about that

also a disclaimer: i know this is hardly accurate in any historical sense but thats ok because its not real.  i mean.. theres demons

i hope you enjoy this anyway! comment and subscribe and upvote and all that if you did ^^