A Fool For You

A Fool For You
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Well then, guys! In five minutes you have to be on stage. Be ready!", the youngest of Infinite's manager said loudly as he entered the tent in which the boys got their make-up and style done. The tense man threw each of the seven singers a serious look before he turned around and disappeared from the sight of the young men.

SungGyu glanced over to his fellow band members. Each of his six friends seemed tense and nervous... in their own way.
Most of them were silently encouraging themselves while staring at their own reflection in the mirror in front of them. Others tried to get rid of their nervousness by joking around and laughing loudly. Especially SungYeol and DongWoo seemed to enjoy themselves by telling each other funny stories from the past after the manager had left the tent. However, their laughter seemed less joyful and more forced than usual. SungGyu could hear the difference immediately.

The gaze of the oldest wandered over each and everyone of his friends until his eyes ended up staying on the features off the third oldest of the group. WooHyun seemed nervous too. Very nervous in fact. Incessantly he mumbled inaudible words to himself. SungGyu knew, that the younger was repeating his lyrics to their newest song in order to avoid possible errors on stage. This wasn't the first time WooHyun had tried to calm himself down by repeating his part of their songs over and over again. However, it was only a few months ago, on the day of their debut, when SungGyu first witnessed the nerve calming habit of his friend.

WooHyun was constantly staring in the mirror in front of him. The young man with the slightly ruffled light-brown hair was concentrating so hard on his reflection as well as on the repetition of the lyrics that he didn't notice that SungGyu was watching him.

The mere sight of the younger man had a strange magical calming effect on the leader of the group. SungGyu didn't know exactly when it began or how it happened, but he was sure that he felt more for the two-years-younger man than mere friendship. Every smile and every touch made the red-haired man's heart beat faster in joy. He really enjoyed the company of the fair-haired man and gladly took every possible opportunity to be near him. Although he enjoyed to be with the other, he knew he had to be careful around him.
If one of the band members, one of the press, or even worse; he, his crush, would know about his secret feelings, everything he dreamed of and worked for would be gone. Although hiding his feelings had worked rather well in the past, it became increasingly harder to keep that secret with every passing day. It didn't help that they shared a room in the dorm. In fact it made everything even harder for the oldest of the group.

"Hyung! We have to go”, cried a for SungGyu all too familiar comforting voice and tore him from his thoughts. Puzzled, he looked around. His six friends had stood up from their chairs and walked towards the exit. Everyone, except for his crush.
WooHyun looked at him with raised eyebrows and waited for the older to say or do something. When the younger recognized the confusion in the eyes of others, he began to grin widely. Bashfully cleared the red-haired his throat and stood up. WooHyun immediately followed the example of his leader. But instead of following the others outside he moved closer to SungGyu and put an arm around his shoulder.

"Right now isn't the right time to be daydreaming. Let's hurry up to catch up with the others!", the younger said while grinning widely and pushed the red-headed with little effort to the tent entrance.
A slight tingling sensation began to spread where SungGyu felt the arm of the younger laying. Nervously, he threw a hasty glance at WooHyun, who was looking ahead with a wide grin on his face. A quiet sigh escaped the throat of the older man. A sigh that WooHyun must have heard as he turned himself around to face SungGyu. With worry in his eyes starred WooHyun at the older. The red-haired man noticed how the younger had opened his mouth slightly as if he wanted to say something but instead of telling him what he wanted to say he closed his mouth again and shyly lowered his gaze. SungGyu gave him a big smile, reluctantly pushed the arm of the other off his shoulder and pushed the icy tarpaulin aside to get outside.

The cold autumn air struck the two singers mercilessly as they left the warm tent. In the distance they were able to hear the music playing and the cheers of the fans, who have decided to attend a K-Pop Festival on this cold October afternoon. These sounds made the nervousness in SungGyu rise significantly. As if rooted to the spot he simply stood there and stared at the big stage a few meters in front of them.
"We should go, Hyung. The others are waiting", WooHyun said, grabbed the wrist of the other and pulled him with him.

The closer they got to the stage the louder the sounds around them became. The music blared trough the speakers towards them and the people on the back side of the stage became more hectic. The song that was playing at the time had been a huge hit in the past month. SungGyu had heard it so many times by now that he knew that it wouldn't take long till it would end. Soon they, Infinite, would stand on that very stage.

SungGyu spotted his teammates immediately when they finally arrived at the backstage area. With hasty steps went the two singers to their friends.
The manager had already joined the others and told them once again how important that upcoming stage was for their career. When the red-haired man finally stood beside the others he didn't miss the reproachful look the manager gave him. He, the leader of the group, should have reached the backstage area as one of the first, but instead he was one of the last.

"You're late!", the manager called in a snippy tone of voice and looked at the two young men from top to bottom. When the manager's eyes landed on WooHyun, he raised one of his eyebrows and pointed with his finger at something on the younger's right side.

As SungGyu was interested in what the manager was pointing at, he leaned in to get a closer look. In the hands of the fair-haired man was a medium-sized, black, square thing. In recent days, the oldest of the group had seen this particular object so often that he recognized it at once.

It was an album. The album of a certain rookie girl group that WooHyun seemed really interested in as he barely talked about anything or better said no one else for weeks. Especially one girl of this group was the fair-haired particularly fond off.

Bae Suzy seemed to have won the heart of many in Korea and was already regarded as a heart-throb although she just debuted a few months ago. WooHyun was no exception. Since he had first laid eyes on that petite dark-haired girl he was absolutely spellbound. He used every given opportunity to talk about her. SungGyu didn't like this at all, but he accepted it. What other choice did he have? As long as WooHyun was happy he was too.

"Give me that!", the manager ordered, but WooHyun tightly clutched the book-like thing.
"No!" WooHyun said and starred resolutely into the managers eyes.
The manager just wanted to to get closer to the fair-haired man to take the album away from him but WooHyun was quicker. The younger clutched SungGyu's wrist a little harder and hid himself behind his leader. The manager sighted loudly and shook his head in despair. He was about to say something but WooHyun beat him to it.

"SUZY!", the younger shouted joyfully.
Instantly tore the younger his hand away from the wrist of the red-haired man and ran to a group of four girls who came straight from the stage. The manager cursed loudly when he saw his fosterling's inappropriate behaviour and ordered WooHyun to come back instantly. But the fair-haired man seemed to have no ears for the words of his manager.

With a heavy heart watched SungGyu from afar how his crush joyfully stood in front of the petite girl named Bae Suzy. Bashfully scratched the fair-haired man the back of his head and gave the girl one of his charming smiles. The girls that were with Suzy began to giggle. Suzy on the other hand smiled friendly at WooHyun.

SungGyu was glad that the two of them didn't exchange many words... at least not yet. However, when he saw how WooHyun hastily grabbed the hand of the girl in front of him, gave her his valuable album and finally leaned in closer to her, his heart seemed to literally break into two pieces.

In the distance, the red-haired man saw how WooHyun whispered something to the girl he liked. Her eyes widened briefly when she heard the words of the fair-haired man, but she didn't back away and let WooHyun whispered even more words into her ear. Interested raised Suzy her gaze and took a look at the six boys a few meters away from her. Her gaze wandered over the faces of the six friends and ended up staying on SungGyu. After a while she pulled her gaze away from the red-haired man and turned back to WooHyun. She started nodding eagerly whereby WooHyun hugged the girl happily.

SungGyu clenched his hands into fists as he watched the scene in front of him. At that moment he hated WooHyun's crush. He hated the girl, that simply got the attention of the younger by debuting as a singer in a rookie group. He hated the girl, that seemed to get everything she wanted just because she was beautiful. But most of all he hates to know that the person he loved would never return his feelings.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


SungGyu lay dispirited on a green lawn near the Han River and looked into the dark night sky above him. The sun had set a few minutes ago. The sky was already pitch black, however, the red-haired man wasn't able to spot a single star. The air was much cooler than a few hours ago, but this didn't bothered SungGyu much. On the contrary. He welcomed the cold.

The thoughts of the red-headed revolved around the past day. He wanted to keep his mind on the short show they had a few hours ago but he didn't seem to be able to do that. Again and again his thoughts wandered back to the moment where WooHyun met Suzy. The memory of their familiar and friendly behaviour with each other felt like an icy stab into his heart. This must be what everyone calls a one-sided love.

SungGyu sighed and closed his eyes in exhaustion. His thoughts seemed to be shouting in his head. They asked him questions to which he didn't know any answer to. He wished that he could stop thinking about the event that happened that afternoon. He wanted to forget everything. If only he wouldn't have developed such feelings for the young man with whom he was in a band and shared a room with.

A slight rustling of grass was heard on his right hand side, but he didn't care. He did not even look up. It was only when he felt how something was placed over his body, when he opened his eyes.

The second oldest of the group sat right next to him and gifted him with such a big grin that the Cheshire cat would have been proud of him.
"Did you sleep well?", DongWoo asked happily and pulled his heavy-looking backpack closer to himself.

"Good feels different. Also, I did not fell asleep here", SungGyu said in a bit of a grumpy sounding tone of voice and straightened himself up. The thin blanket that DongWoo had placed over him fell on his knees. Hesitantly, he reached for the soft thin fabric and clutched the top of it. He turned back to where DongWoo was sitting. The later had kept silent next to him and watched his every move with interest. When the second oldest noticed that the red haired was looking at him, he showed him a big smile again.

"Why are you here?", SungGyu asked while pulling the thin fabric closer to himself.
"You were a little... off today. I just wanted to check if everything is OK", the dark-haired said.
The older of the two turned away at once and assured the other that he was fine. SungGyu asked DongWoo to leave him alone, but the younger wouldn't listen to him. As if he didn't hear the words that SungGyu just said, sat DongWoo down beside the older and let himself fall back on the grass while laughing loudly.

"Woa~ A shooting star!", DongWoo shouted enthusiastically while pointing with his left hand to the pitch black heaven.
SungGyu followed his outstretched hand and looked at the sky again. There were still no stars visible and yet claimed the dark-haired guy next to him to have seen a shooting star. The red-haired man looked above him but nothing but the darkness of the night sky can be seen. He was about to turn back to face DongWoo but before he was able to do that announced the second oldest to have seen another shooting star.

A soft smile crept onto the face of the older when he realized that the so-called shooting star was just one of many airplanes in the sky. Slowly let SungGyu himself fall back into the grass.
"Did you make a wish?", DongWoo asked curiously. The leader turned his head to his right side to be able to look at the sometimes childish other. Curious eyes were laying on the frame of the older.

SungGyu smiled and shook his head.

Unhappy with the response from red-haired straightened DongWoo himself up again and looked at his friend reproachfully.
"Shooting stars are there to listen to our wishes and grant them. So wish for something!" , DongWoo commanded.

The redhead gently shook his head and looked at the night sky again.
"I don't know what I should wish for. What I need is a miracle and not a granted

Please log in to read the full chapter