The Stranger's Smile

Photograph

Chapter 1

The Stranger’s Smile

 

The café was busier than usual and Kai can’t see any available table for him to have his breakfast. Jongin, his twin’s brother’s voice was ringing at the back of his head, nagging him to not always rely on restaurants and fast food for his meals, maybe if he indeed listened to his twin, he wouldn’t be standing in the middle of the café with his breakfast tray and glancing left and right for any available seat.

 

Kai was about to give up and was about to ask the server to have his breakfast for take-out when he noticed a guy sitting alone by the window. Kai was so hungry and wanted to eat his breakfast already, so he walked up to the man and gathered enough courage to ask the stranger to share the table with him.

 

“Excuse me, is this seat taken?” Kai stood by the vacant seat and waited for the guy to lift his head and acknowledge him but the guy just shook his head and motioned for Kai to have the seat. Kai put his tray down and sat on the available seat, he quietly ate his breakfast. Once he was done, Kai thanked the stranger for sharing the table and for the first time since he joined him, the man lifted his face and smiled at him.

 

Kai might have fallen for the stranger at first smile.

 


 

Kai went back to the café the next day, he looked at the table by the window and a smile graced on his face when he saw the stranger from yesterday. He ordered his breakfast and sat at the table next to the stranger with a beautiful heart shaped smile. He spent his breakfast glancing at the stranger from time to time.

 

On the third day, Kai caught a glimpse of the stranger’s name. Another guy approached the stranger and called him.

 

“Let’s go Soo…”

 

Soo… a nickname maybe but Kai was surely glad to hear it. ‘Soo’ he tried to say it softly and he already liked the way it rolled on his tongue. The other guy helped ‘Soo’ up and that was when Kai realized that ‘Soo’ was blind. The other guy ushered ‘Soo’ by the elbow and led him out of the café. Kai followed the two with his eyes until they were out of his sight.

 

Despite finding out about Soo’s disability, Kai kept on coming at the café to see him. In fact, Kai used Soo’s blindness to his advantage by openly staring at him and everytime ‘Soo’ would look his way, because maybe he felt like someone was staring at him, Kai felt his heart skip a beat.

 

Each day, Kai would see him… he can’t deny that he was mesmerized by the stranger’s beauty.

 


 

It was a Sunday and Kai was joined by his twin brother, Jongin for breakfast. Kai tells his brother everything, so it was no surprise when Jongin started staring at ‘Soo’ too; trying to catch a glimpse of the stranger’s face that caught his brother’s interest.

 

Once ‘Soo” lifted his face and a satisfied smile grazing his face after sipping his cup of coffee, Jongin instantly understood Kai’s sudden interest… the stranger, indeed have a beautiful smile. Jongin looked to his left and saw his twin brother smiling too happily to himself after giving ‘Soo’ a shy look.  His brother was acting like a teenager and Jongin…being Jongin, wanted to help his twin get out of the ‘please-notice-me-senpai’ zone and finally help Kai meet ‘Soo’ personally.

 

Jongin stood up and it took Kai’s attention away from ‘Soo’ momentarily as he stared at his twin brother only to feel his heart drumming loudly when Jongin walked straight towards his object of affection. Kai immediately stood up, in hopes of stopping his brother from doing anything stupid but Jongin just smirked at him before opening up his mouth to talk to ‘Soo’.

 

“Excuse me, is this seat taken?”

 

Just like with Kai, the stranger just shook his head and motioned with his hands that Jongin is welcome to join him.

 

“Thank you Soo, I’m Jongin by the way and this is my twin brother Kai…” Jongin introduced them both after dragging Kai to sit next to him.

 

The stranger lifted his head and a crease form on his forehead upon hearing his name.

 

“H-How did you know my name? Do I know you?” Soo couldn’t help but ask, his hands instantly grabbing his walking stick for his own protection.

 

“No, but my brother here had been stalking you for almost a week now…” Jongin bluntly answered, earning a hit on his arms courtesy of his scandalized twin brother.

 

“Oh, that explains it. I thought it was just a coincidence that the same person sits on the next table everyday…” Soo relaxed for a bit but didn’t let go of his walking stick just yet.

 

“You mean, you know that my brother had been stalking you?” Jongin eyed him in amusement.

 

“I’m blind, I’m pretty sure you know it by now but that also means that all my other senses are heightened. Your brother orders the same thing every day and I can feel him staring at me most of the time…”

 

“Ohhhhh busted….” Jongin teased Kai, who was blushing at being found out.

 

“So you think it’s funny? Staring at a blind person thinking that the other person won’t see you, so it’s okay?” There was anger in Soo’s voice and Kai panicked, reaching out for Soo’s hand to explain but Soo slapped his hand away and abruptly stood up, gaining the attention of the other customers.

 

“N-No, I didn’t mean it t-that way…I… I….” Kai tries to explain while Soo was still standing and ready to leave anytime.

 

“He told me he was captivated by your smile, he just took chances…hoping that you are here every morning. My brother doesn’t mean any harm, he doesn’t want to insult you or anything...please he just really wants to meet you…” Jongin came in for the rescue since his brother seemed a bit lost for words.

 

Soo stood there, contemplating whether to believe the two or not. Just then, his friend came to check on him.

 

“Soo, were these two bothering you?” the newcomer eyed the twins who were trying to look as innocent as they can be. There was a long silence between the four until Soo finally speaks up.

 

“No, but let’s go Baek…I’m done with my breakfast anyways…” Soo reached for his bag and held on to his friend’s arms to lead him out of the café.

 

Jongin and Kai couldn’t do anything but to watch Soo walk away with his friend.

 


 

Kai immediately took a shower when he woke up the next day, he wanted to go back to the café and hopefully see Soo again. He blamed Jongin’s bluntness for what happened yesterday but still if it wasn’t for his twin, he wouldn’t be able to discover that Soo doesn’t only have a captivating smile but also have a wonderful voice as well.

 

Kai sighed in relief when he saw Soo sitting at his usual spot; he quickly ordered his meal and made sure to buy an extra muffin as a peace offering to Soo.

 

Kai took a deep breath before finally approaching Soo. “H-Hi…”

 

“It’s you…” Soo said without even raising his head.

 

“I just want to say sorry if offended you and I also want to give you this muffin as a peace offering. I promise not to bother you from now on. Again, sorry… I just wanted to be friends…”

 

“Why?”

 

“Huh?” Kai looked at him questioningly.

 

“Why do you want to be my friend?”

 

“Honestly, I don’t know… maybe it’s because of your smile, it made me feel comfortable?”

 

“So just befriend anyone who has a pretty smile?”

 

“N-no…” Kai anxiously rubbed the back of his neck.

 

“So what made me different then? Was it because I’m blind?”

 

“No!” Kai defensively answered. “It took me three days to realize that you were blind, it has nothing to do with my sudden interest in you…”

 

“Sudden interest…” Soo repeated Kai’s words. “Don’t tell me you fell in love with my smile…” Soo teased with a smug look on his face.

 

“M-Maybe I did…”

 

Soo’s forehead creased for a moment before he erupted in laughter. “You’re weird Kai…”

 

“Good weird or bad weird?” Kai couldn’t stop himself from asking.

 

“Good weird…” Soo answered with a post-laughter smile.

 

“Well, is it good enough to be your friend?” Kai took his chance.

 

“Good enough… take a seat; you’ve been standing there for a while now…” Soo grinned and moved his plate to make space for Kai’s tray.

 

“I’m Kyungsoo by the way…”

 

Just like that Kyungsoo gained a ‘weird’ friend and Kai finally got Soo’s real name.

 


 

Having breakfast on the same table by the window became a regular thing for Kyungsoo and Jongin. Every day they would ask questions to get to know each other.

 

Kyungsoo found out that Jongin and Kai were identical twins and Kai just moved in a month ago at the apartment a couple of blocks away from the café. Jongin also lives near, they just don’t like sharing an apartment since they’ve been sharing a lot of things since they were young and they wanted to take a breather from the usual ‘twins share everything’  but they are pretty close to each other.

 

Kai then found out that Kyungsoo actually owns the café. He used to be the head patissier until a kitchen accident happened that damaged his cornea and eventually losing his sight. Baekhyun, the friend that usually checks on him was Kyungsoo’s closest friend and the one who helps Kyungsoo runs the place. Kai also discovered that Kyungsoo lost his family at a young age and Baekhyun was the closest he has to a family.

 


 

Their friendship deepened as months go by. Kai had always been vocal about his attraction towards Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo, although a bit skeptical about it at first had learned to admit that maybe he also fell in love with Kai’s deep voice and musky scent. The stalker tendencies may have also contributed to the attraction.

 

They both took their time getting to know each other, going out on dates from time to time but no actual label to their relationship. It was an open relationship but none of them have the heart to entertain other people in their lives. Each of them know, though they don’t talk about it, that having the other by their side was all they need.

 

A year of going around in circles, as Baekhyun would call it… Kai finally had the courage to ask Kyungsoo as his boyfriend and make things official between. Kyungsoo’s ‘yes’ came as natural as their first kiss.

 


 

Six months into their relationship, Kai needed to leave for the mandatory military service. He will be entering with his twin brother. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun prepared a special dinner for the two of them.

 

“I will surely miss this…” Jongin commented after having his stomach full of Kyungsoo and Baekhyun’s cooking.

 

“It’s just two years, it’ll be over before you know it…” Baekhyun smiled at him.

 

Kai and Kyungsoo had been quiet throughout the dinner, it was their last night together and of course they feel sad about it. Kyungsoo understands that Kai needed to do it, he was just worried about his safety.

 

“You know I’ll be back right?” Kai hugged Kyungsoo from behind as they watch a movie from the couch… well Kai watched, Kyungsoo just listens. Jongin and Baekhyun volunteered to do the dishes so they have the living room for themselves.

 

“Of course, I know that…” Kyungsoo chuckled lightly, trying his best not to worry Kai.

 

“Will you miss me?”

 

“What kind of question is that Kai, of course I’ll miss you….” Kyungsoo reached out for Kai’s face and caressed it.

 

“I love you Kyungsoo…” Kai took Kyungsoo’s hand and kissed it.

 

“I love you too Kai…I’ll wait until you and Jongin comes back…” Kyungsoo showed off his heart shaped smile that Kai fell in love with.

 

Kai pulled him into a tight hug and Kyungsoo equally hugged him with the same passion. They both know that it was just a temporary goodbye and soon Kai will be back in Kyungsoo’s loving arms.

 


 

Each day, Kyungsoo eats his breakfast at the café, waiting for the familiar deep voice that he fell in love with, to ask to share the table with him. Every day, Kyungsoo would wait for Kai to come home to him…

 

 

 

 

…but he never did

 


 

 

…saem.riel’s note…

 

…I am a trash… this is trash… AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

… it’s almost kaisoo day… im sorry for the late post…

…next chapter will be up tomorrow…

HAPPY KYUNGSOO DAY!!!