Nights, Stars and Talks

If Not For You

That night, it was her who started the conversation. The nurse had just left after checking on us, and I was about to settle down to sleep.

 

                  “Hey” she had started.

 

                  “Hello” I replied, after a few seconds of realisation that she was adressing me.

 

                  “Are the stars pretty tonight?” She continued, turning to face the ceiling.

 

                  I turned towards the window, which was closer to my bed. I looked up, and there they were, twinkling so peacefully.

 

                  It had been a long time since I last looked at the stars. I was always too exhausted to, or had no mood to do so. It was only tonight however, that I realised, how much there was out there I failed to notice, the chances I declined, the number of times I kept myself cooped up, let myself wallow in self pity.

 

                  There were so many pretty things out there, but all these while, I have been using Leukemia as a shield, as an excuse to avoid being happy. Was that what I was scared of? Being happy? Or perhaps, I was just afraid of being happy, then getting everything taken away again, just like how it happened when I got my first symptom. Losing everything overnight, it was so painful. What was the point of being happy, if it never lasted?

 

                  I turned back, and answered, “Yes, they are pretty. Unlike… my life.”

 

                  I could feel how she went still at the end of my sentence. I waited, and we both didn’t speak for a while.

 

                  “Maybe we were born not to live a pretty life, fated to never get a chance of such. But nobody said we couldn’t live it the way we wanted to. Take away our health, take away our bodies, but if we wanted to, if we tried to, they would never take away our smiles.”

 

                  There was silence again, and as much as I wanted to tell her how that wasn’t true, that taking away all these, was as good as taking away my soul, I kept quiet. She did have a point, I just couldn’t bring myself to embrace this idea.

 

                  She continued, “I once hated my life, questioned why it was me who had to got through all these pain, but later, I started to get over it. We were created this way, it was fine, we didn’t have a choice, but at least we were still capable of being us. We all have to leave one day, everyone has to, we leave in a different, harder way, but we could still be happy, be contented. You may not like how this works, you may hate your life, you may be hurting a lot, but perhaps it would help that, you’re not alone. It hurts too, but we’ll hurt together. At your most aching moment, think about all that you have gotten in this life, about why you have been able to last till now, about the people that care, about why in the first place you were still pushing on.”

 

                 

                  A tear rolled down my cheek.

 

                  What pushed me on all these while? I wasn't living, simply because I was supposed to.

 

                  Perhaps, I was living  for the hope that one day, I would wake up, and this would just be a bad dream, that a miracle would happen, and I would recover instantly. I was still living because, I believed that some things may come true.

 

                  I was not alone.

 

                  “Jung Eun Ji, nice name.” She commented, and that was the last thing I remembered of that day, I wasn’t sure if I replied, and if I did, it was something short. Either one of us fell asleep first, and that night, I felt a lot more comforted.

 

                 

 

A/N its really short and lame I know, but i decided to update anyway ;;;;;;;;;;;

trust me i cringed reading this chapter so its okay to do so too.

yas eunji is finally revealed.

thanks all for suscribing <3 y'all are perffff~ leaving comments, suscribing, up to you :3