When I First Saw You

If Not For You

One

                  I leaned back on the bed frame, observing how the blue wallpaper was tearing, revealing the originally white wall. The ceiling wasn't much better either, it was grey, they probably never bothered painting or cleaning it. Once in a while, the fan would make creaking noises, and that was the only sound in this ward, it was that serene.

 

                  The ward had two beds, but there was currently nobody occupying the other. I came in yesterday, and was told that another patient would be coming in today, after her operation. She was a cancer patient, that's all they told me, and I didn't bother finding out more either. To be frank, I didn't know which was better, to be left alone wallowing in self pity, or to be looking at someone else suffer with me.

 

                  I was a post-operation patient myself. I suffered from leukemia since I was ten, and my condition wasn't at its best. I didn't hear anymore about my condition after the operation. My family knew though, but told me to rest for the time being, and when I'm feeling better they would tell me.

 

                  But I wasn't daft. I knew myself well enough. I heard my mother's stifled sobs, heard my father's bid to comfort, I could see their forced smiles every time they were with me. The doctors, nurses, everyone I met acted like I was fine. Yet I could tell well enough.

 

                  My days were numbered.

 

                  How many exactly, I didn't know, but then again it probably didn't matter. We were born, we live our lives, we learn to love, to laugh, to cry, we go through ups and downs, we all have different positions, but the thing about human kind is that, the only thing that was ever fair, we all die. We all leave one day, we had to.

 

                  I took a deep breath, and decided to get some rest first. My family wouldn't be coming until dusk, and till then, I still had a lot of time to myself. I lay down, and my eyelids started getting heavy.

 

                                                                                                               ***

                  I was woken up later by the sound of the door creaking. I opened my eyes in alarm and hurriedly sat up, only to see a girl, around my age in her teenage years, in a wheelchair being wheeled in by a guy who I assumed as her older brother, for she had addressed him so, when she asked him to push her to the sink to wet her face.  While she did so, I silently observed the pair, and by the time they were done, concluded that having her as company would probably not be that bad after all. She might be a patient just like myself, but her actions showed how she was definitely a lot more optimistic. She was bald, probably underwent chemotherapy before, but didn't seem to be affected by it at all. Her eyes however, made up for the emptiness, for she had eyes which were intriguing, even when she was exhausted. I glimpsed at her name tag: Kim Soo Min.

 

                  I then turned to look at her brother. He didn't seem much older, probably one or two years older, but again, I wasn't very well at predicting ages. He had dark hair, swept to a side, and his eyes were equally black. Not that I could give much details about his eyes, he didn't have very large ones. They were thin, like how normal eyes would look when people squinted, but it made him look interestingly charming. I was staring at him, wondering if he could see anything with those eyes, when he turned and caught my eyes. I hurriedly turned away and pretended to be observing my fingernails, which wasn't exactly interesting, but it was better than being deemed as a stalker.

 

                  When the girl passed by me on the way to her bed adjacent to mine, she gave a little smile, weary yet genuine. I nodded, and smiled back shyly. They took a while to settle down, to get her belongings in place and had to settle more admin matters, while I oddly sat there observing every detail.

 

                  I didn't get to talk to them that day, until night, when visiting hours were over and there were only the two of us in the room left. I was surprised by how she wasn't as weak as I was when I completed my operation, and was able to converse much with me.

 

                  That night, we talked alot, and I didn't know who fell asleep first, but all I knew was that when I fell asleep, I was feeling relieved, and a lot less lonely.

 

a/n so i suppose this is supposed to be angsty, but the first chapter isn't that good oops. thanks for the suscriptions <3 feel free to leave comments (and tell me how i should improve) second chapter coming up tomorrow when i find time --its 12am here when im posting this and there's school tomorrow ohno. annyeong~