Final

Iced Americano

 

A lone figure sat in the farthest corner of a coffee shop, sipping from her glass of iced americano as she takes in the sight of rain droplets hitting the glass panel and people outside running back and forth as rain started to get heavier. 

Taeyeon waits patiently for someone, someone who has always been worth her time, someone she would love to see everyday, someone she misses always- even though they see each other some times on weekdays- and some weekends when she would ask that certain someone to take a walk in the park or maybe spend time in the noraebang.

Sipping from her glass, Taeyeon remembers how this certain someone used to dislike americano with a passion saying its bitter for her taste, someone who happens to be her best friend, a certain someone who goes by the name...

"Did we made you wait long?" Taeyeon looked up to the person who broke her train of thoughts. Her best friends.

"Oh Tiff! Absolutely not, I just arrived not so long ago." Tiffany gave her her sweet eyesmile and Taeyeon returned a smile before she shifted her gaze to the person tailing behind Tiffany. Tiffany moved to the empty seat beside Taeyeon and revealed the person behind her to be Jessica. Jessica gave Taeyeon a small nod beforing moving to sit across her.

Seeing the usual lack of expression in the ice princess' face Taeyeon teases her friend.

"Hey Sica, you don't look like you missed me?"

Jessica gave Taeyeon a roll of her eyes. "Well since it doesn't show, maybe I didn't."

Taeyeon faked hurt and clutching her chest. "Ouch! Sica it hurts."

"C'mon Tae-tae! You know Jessi's kidding, of course she misses you! Jessica is rarely free unlike me, we see each other together at work you're probably tired of my face."

"Yeah, not to include your loud voice!" and Taeyeon laughed her off earning herself some slap from the not-so-violent Tiffany. The two are too engrossed with teasing each other forgetting the other girl.

Jessica stood up from her seat "Hey, I'm going to grab coffee."

Taeyeon stopped laughing and Tiffany shifted her attention to the girl now standing "Oh, order one for me too Jessi, the usual." and the eyesmiling girl gave her a sweet smile to which Jessica responded with a nod.

Jessica made her way to the counter, ordering an iced americano for herself and hot choco for Tiffany, since the girl never really liked the bitter taste of coffee.

Americano, it's her favorite... at least the last time she remembered it was.

 

A few minutes later and their orders were served, they were chatting while they constantly sip from their beverage. It is mostly Taeyeon and Tiffany teasing and laughing, Jessica noding, giving short replies or sometimes laugh with them as she observes the two.

It was not after an hour passed when Tiffany's phone started ringing, her boyfriend calling her and reminding her of their dinner date, which is within a couple of hours. A signal for her to leave first.

Tiffany bid the two goodbye, giving each a peck on their cheeks and made her way out the shop, hailing a cab.

There was silence after Tiffany left, until Taeyeon broke it.

"How are you Sica?"

Jessica looked at Taeyeon skeptically before answering. " I'm doing fine, do I look the opposite?"

"Oh no, no of course you look good like always, it's just that we dont meet each other that often for a while, it might be awkward but maybe we can spend an hour or two more for catching up?" Taeyeon looked at the girl expectantly. She surely missed Jessica, herbest ever friend.

"Uh.. uhmm.. sure." Jessica reluctantly agreed, and Taeyeon grinned, making the latter turned her gaze away before speaking again. "I guess we both got busy in our career and personal life."

"Well, yeah I can see that! You're doing good in your chosen career, you seem happy."

"Hmm..." Jessica can't think of a reply, as much as she wanted to tell the other girl the same, she's afraid she'd be lying. To her it's not good, to see Taeyeon with Tiffany, being hopelessly tied to her unrequited first love hurts Jessica the most. The girl hasn't moved on yet, even though Tiffany happens to have a boyfriend now, contented and happy with him.

Tayeon broke Jessica's train of thoughts again. "You still order americano though, I guess it's the one thing that haven't changed. We still have americano as our favorite" And Taeyeon gave her a toothy grin, making Jessica chuckle.

"Yeah, it always has been..." The two fell in complete silence, and Jessica traveled down memory lane on one particular happening.

 

JESSICA'S POV

"Kringgggg!" The bell for lunch break rung over the entire school, waking me from my nap in math class only to be greeted by the sight of one particular student looking the most excited. It's no other than my best friend Kim Taeyeon.

"YESSS! Finally its lunch time!!" Taeyeon fist pumped and did a dorky dance. She's just plain excited. Well I can guess maybe because, one its lunch break, two because it's her birthday today or maybe she had eaten so much gummy bears.

"Yah midget! Stop it already, let's go!" Sooyoung, our giant of a friend head locked my "midget" best friend and ruffled her hair, a sight so cute. I can't help but to giggle at the sight. We are making our way out of our room to the hallway and meet our other friends to celebrate Taeyeon's birthday over lunch.

"Yah sica, Soo's being a meanie calling me midget" Taeyeon faked a sob as she made her way to me, her bag on her shoulders, she linked her arm to mine and tugged on my shirt.

This kid Taeyeon is too cute to resist, I pinch both of her cheeks and squished it "Aigoo Taengoo you're so cute!"

"Yah!" She waved my hands off her face and started to pout cutely. This is one of my favorite side of Kim Taeyeon.

"Tae-tae!" A loud voice filled the hallway, earning our attention. Near the exit stood a girl shouting like a megaphone was stuck forever in , it is no other than my other best friend Tiffany.

Taeyeon's girlfriend.

Taeyeon made a sprint towards the exit, leaving me with Sooyoung and three more of our friends who popped out of nowhere, I had no idea when did they appeared.

I returned my attention back to Taeyeon and Tiffany, they seem to be discussing something serious, as Taeyeon's face is now void of smile. A few more minutes passed and I saw Tiffany went towards the direction of the cafeteria, leaving a dejected Taeyeon. I made my way to her and tapped her on her shoulders, making my presence known to her, she looked at me with sad eyes but managed to still offer me a smile, but a bitter one.

"Is everything okay?" I asked to which she nod almost immediately as a response.

"Tiffany's not going with us though, she said she's not feeling really well to go out."

Though I have a hunch it's not the real reason, I just nodded and smiled sweetly at her.

"Alright, then let's go birthday girl! Let's have that cake we prepared!" I'm trying to cheer her up while dragging her out to the exit with our friends, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, Sunny, and Yuri tagging along.

"Did your cake turned out edible? Even the kitchen turned into a disaster" Taeyeon teases and I gave her a pout before slapping her arm.

"Yah!! we baked it together last night, it's not just me to be blamed, we did all the chaos together."

Taeyeon just laughed her off and I swear I saw the skies open as the rays of sun hit her face making her look angelic. If only she knew how much I adore her.

"You're being too obvious, dont you know? Stop looking at her like that." Someone whispered into my ear, finding it to be Yuri when I looked around. I gave her a death glare for ruining my moment and she gave me shrug and mouthed something as a response to which I ignored. I made my way to Taeyeon, linking our arms again as we lead the way towards Sooyoung's family's restaurant, a few blocks down. When we arrived there was Yoona and Seohyun on the restaurant's entrance waiting for us.

We had one hour of so much food to eat, fun and laughter, joking and teasing around. Pointing out how Sooyoung and Yoona did not stop eating until they cleared all the plates, Hyoyeon and Yuri dancing around and Sunny's aegyos that made us all want to throw up. I smiled as I watch Taeyeon playing around, it always felt nice to see Taeyeon smiling sincerely, laughing heartily and joking around. It's her birthday, so she only deserved the fun.

It is fifteen minutes before classes starts when we reached the school gates. There was Tiffany, obviously waiting for us, I called for her and she just gave me a wave. Unusual.

Taeyeon seem restless beside me too. Standing by the gate now, Tiffany walked up to me and Taeyeon and eyed the others, getting the hint they started to walk off. "Hey, catch you later Tae, we'll go ahead first." I'm left now with Taeyeon and Tiffany.

I know something's wrong between the two, and they happen to be both my best friends. I don't like the growing tension and being stuck between the two but I cant leave Taeyeon, not when she's holding my hand tightly. I can sense she doesn't want me to go either.

Tiffany gave me the look and I know what it meant. "Jess, please..."

I looked at Taeyeon dejectedly, and she looked at me with pleading eyes. I took a step away and felt Taeyeon's grip tighten. I looked at her again "Sica-ah please?" I sighed. I took my earphones out and looked at Tiffany.

"Pretend that I'm not here, I wont even bother listening." I made my way on the other side of the wall, and true to my words I did not bother to eavesdrop and let them talk.

Standing on the other side of the corner while Taeyeon and Tiffany are talking on the other side, I busied myself listening to the song blasting from the earphones and the warmth I feel in my hand. The entire time they are talking, Taeyeon never let go of my hand, and I gave her a small grip to assure her I'm here.

It was a good ten minutes of standing until I felt a head over my shoulders, and an arm grip on my side. When I took my earphones out, the first thing I heard is Taeyeon sobbing. I circled my free arm on her shoulders before I start rubbing her back, my other hand is still on her grip. I let her cry for another five minutes. It hurts me the most whenever I see her cry.

Sometimes I wished I have told her of my feelings, fight for it because I know I'll treasure her and never make her cry, I have always been.

I have nothing against Tiffany, no one except for Yuri had figured about this feelings of mine but I can't help but wonder, then again Taeyeon had always been crushing on Tiffany, I never stood a chance from the start, it is better this way, I stay as her friend.

After her sobbing subsided and she had calmed, I tugged on her hand and made my way to the exit dragging her.

"Sica! Where are we going? We have classes!" Taeyeon looked at me incredulously yet she's letting me drag her.

"So what? Would you rather stay in the four corners in our room and listen to the boring history teacher? I'll go leave you here then." I let go of her hand and started to walk off to the bus stop.

"But - " One, two, three steps, and I felt her grab hold of my hand again. "fine!" I looked at Taeyeon to see her pouting, I know she'd agree. I just know, some things are not need to be spoken with words for me to understand, in this kind of situation what Taeyeon need is a distraction and a good laugh.

I smiled at her assuringly as we stand and waited for the bus, she returned my smile reluctantly. The bus arrived and we boarded, sitting on the farthest seats at the back, never did I let go of her hand. I'm not best at comforting, others even said I'm almost cold as ice and calling me ice princess for being too blunt and always void of emotion but for Taeyeon I can try and I'll even play as the fool for her if she asked me to.

I'm not sure where to bring her, but knowing Taeyeon, I know ice cream would be a big help, and so we get off on our favorite ice cream parlor. I ordered our regulars, two scooped of mint chocolate for her and one cup of strawberry ice cream for me.

As soon as she had a scoop, a smile automatically appeared on her face and in record time she finished her two cups and order another one, Hyomin being a friend and on her duty in the ice cream parlor gave Taeyeon the addition cup of ice cream for free, as a little treat for her birthday. We finished our ice creams and thanked Hyomin.

Once we stepped out of the place I automatically hold Taeyeon's hand. Today, I have decided to do some things with her, and that includes holding her hand until this little "date" of ours end.

Our next stop was the mall, it's hot outside so I dragged her to a place where there's aircon.

"Ah, there's aircon!" I ran towards the nearest one inside the mall with Taeyeon being dragged by me. "Aircon I love you!" I spread my arms as I feel the cool air emitted by the appliance.

Not a minute pass I already feel Taeyeon struggling to keep my arms to my side"Yah Jessica Jung Sooyeon! Put your arms down, you're embarrassing us!"

"So? They don't know us anyway. Ah, I love aircon."

Taeyeon tugged on my shirt "You love aircon more than me?" she started pouting again and the sight of a cute Taeyeon is too much to handle.

"Of course not Taengoo~ you know I love you the most!" She gave her a toothy grin and I pinched her cheeks before I held her hand and lead us to walk around the mall.

We strolled around, going from shops to shops and trying out some clothes. Taeyeon pleaded me to play some arcade games and begged me to win her a dookong plushie out from the claw machine, I spent a good amount of money before I finally won one for her. Such a kid.

Finally, when we felt exhausted to death, we found ourselves in my uncle's coffee shop. An idea hit me, I'll try making coffee for her, Taeyeon liked latte, I'll make one for her!

I stood up from my seat and Taeyeon looked at me with questioning eyes. "Taengoo~ I'm going to make you coffee, a latte! You wait here, okay?" I smiled at her and made my way behind the counters to the coffee mechine.

" Yah Sica! Make sure you don't damage anything there!" Taeyeon shouted at me playfully.

I just gave her a glare and stuck my tongue out to her. Fifteen minutes pass and I find myself struggling with pouring the milk to make a heart design after I get pass my dilemmas with putting in the right amount of espresso shots, milk and sugar not to mention the two glasses I broke due to my unnecessary clumsiness.

I don't know how this one tastes, I'm pretty sure I put in the right amount of sugar, milk and espresso. Though it's not that appealing but I tried my best doing the latte art, it looked like a shape of a deformed heart.

After all the troubles I caused, I finally made my way back to Taeyeon with the cup of latte in hand. I gave her my brightest smile and handed her the cup. She looked at me skeptically before looking at the latte.

"Sica is this latte art? It looks like the deformed heart shape you draw when we were five!"

This is the nth time I have sent a death glare on her way. "Kim Taeyeon, if you love your life you're going to try and take a sip of that latte I worked so hard for."

"Fine, fine..." Taeyeon took a sip and I looked at her expectantly, her face slowly turning distorted. My latte did not turned out well I guess. "Sica, I still love my life, but this latte is just..."

"Shush! I dont wanna hear more Taengoo~ I know, I have no future being a barista!" I slumped back to my seat, frowning. Taeyeon draped an arm over my shoulder as I sulk.

"Well I have an even better idea Sica!" Taeyeon stood up and grabbed me, going towards the area of coffee machines. My cousin is there making some perfect art latte. Just wow, how are we related.

"Jinwoon! Can we be a bother for a moment? Sica and I are going to make coffee."

My cousin nodded and gave me and Taeyeon his famous eyesmile. "Sure noona, go ahead."

"Taengoo, what are we going to make? I'm not good at this at all!"

"Well, we're going to make iced americano! It's the easiest one, I'm pretty sure you can make it perfectly this time."

"Iced americano is too bitter! I dont like it! I'd rather have milk! I DONT LIKE AMERICANO!"

With her puppy eyes pleading look I cant resist so here I am looking at Taeyeon, as she stir on the glass, measuring some water and espresso, pouring the espresso shot. I can't help but to fall even harder for her. How cute she look when she pouts while concentrating, her angelic smile, the frown in her forehead that I want to straighten. Kim Taeyeon look so perfect in my eyes, but I wonder will she ever know.

After a few minutes she was done, and now it's my turn. She guided me making one, after accidentally pouring too much espresso, I tried again and made it right this time. She gave me a sweet warm smile after.

I gave her the glass of americano I made and she took a sip. I looked at her expectantly, and finally a smile crept up her face. "Sica this is the best americano I have ever tasted!"

"You're fooling me Kim Taeyeon! It's just iced americano, it's nothing special and its bitter!" I gave her a pout that earned my cheek a pinch from Taeyeon.

"Nope, this is special because it's made by you and from now on, americano is going to be my favorite!"

I felt like crying with her words, it sent me warm feelings and the butterflies in my stomach started fluttering as I watch Taeyeon smile at me, and sipping the coffee I made.

"Thank you sica-ah, you're really the best! I'm the luckiest person alive for having you as my best friend!" With that said she engulfed me in a tight bear hug. Though my heart started pounding faster, I felt the butterflies in my stomach died and the searing pain in my chest. Her words broke my heart in thousand pieces.

Our day ended with me walking her up to the front porch of her home, gave her a peck on her right cheek and waved before I walk home dejectedly.

 

The next day I found out Taeyeon and Tiffany did broke up, I never asked her anything yesterday, in fact it was Tiffany, calling me and crying. They ignored each other by the next morning and it went on for a month.

True to Taeyeon's words, she would order iced americano when we hang out in coffee shops. I try to play safe between my two best friends until one day Tiffany comes clean to me, telling me she cant love Taeyeon as much as the latter does, that she dont want to lose the friendship between. I scoffed, I could love her better, but to salvage what there is left, I convinced Taeyeon to talk to Tiffany. The two reconciled, ended up as friends again. I smiled bitterly at that. I know Taeyeon still loves Tiffany, and I'm as hopeless being in love with Taeyeon.

I know everything will change, I have decided to make the unexpected turn. After high school, I'm going to try and forget the feelings I have for one Kim Taeyeon. At least, I had that one day where I did the things I want to do with Taeyeon. I guess I should not ask for more...

-------------------------------

PRESENT

 

"Yah Sica! Aish! You never changed, you still space out often." Taeyeon had been calling the girl countless of times but received no reaction, not until she snapped her fingers in Jessica's face.

Out from her thoughts, Jessica glared at Taeyeon before chugging down the last from her glass of americano.

"Tayeon, why is americano your favorite?" Jessica asked out of nowhere.

Tayeon looked at her weirdly for the sudden question but answered with a smile "Because of you, remember on my 18th birthday when we made americano together? It became my favorite because it's the best one my best friend made for me"

"Oh, but that was a one time thing. How come you're still drinking one even if I'm not the one who made it?"

"Well Iced Americano reminds me of you! I know it's the only one you can make correctly, you're like an americano to me too. See it takes one with the right taste buds to notice the sweetness there is in this drink, just like with you, you're one ice princess, talking and interacting with you used to be like tasting bitterness in the coffee, but to me? I see your sweet, caring side, something rare from you and I'm glad, more than ever."

"Huh, that was deep Kim Taeyeon." Jessica is actually lost for words, Taeyeon's words are playing with her, Taeyeon IS playing with her.

"Sica?" Jessica gave Taeyeon a questioning look."Why aren't you calling me Taengoo anymore?" Taeyeon is 25 but she still manages to look like a cute puppy when she wants to, something that always melts Jessica.

"Why should I?"

 

"Because I love it when you call me that."

"Oh okay." Jessica is again left out of words.

"Sica?"

"What again?"

"Why did you order americano? I know you hated the drink with a passion, its too bitter for your taste."

"Hmm, it reminds me of some things, well it reminds me of how bittersweet my life is." How bittersweet it is to keep loving one Kim Taeyeon... Jessica added on her thoughts.

"Hmm, I thought because it reminds me of you." Taeyeon said with a bitter smile.

"You wish Kim..." Though you're right, I'll never admit it.

"Way to break my heart Jung." Taeyeon then tried to fake hurt, but this time it is not as fake as it's suppose to be.

Taeyeon let out a sigh and looked up to Jessica with a sad smile. "Do you know what was the happiest moment in my life?"

Jessica is feeling uneasy, with all these questions Taeyeon keeps asking her, she dont know where is this leading. "When Tiffany agreed to date you? You stayed up all night pestering me, and a week of seeing your dorky dance every time the bell rings. You pretty much was in your happiest state back then as far as I could recall."

Taeyeon shakes her head. She regret taking so long to realize her feelings for this one dense ice princess and for being too scared to take a step further.

"You know something cliche that happened to me right?" Taeyeon asked once more.

"What?"

"I fell in love with my best friend." Taeyeon said seriously while looking at Jessica, holding her gaze but the latter averted her gaze to somewhere else but Taeyeon. She can't take it, knowing Taeyeon meant Tiffany.

"Of course I know Taeyeon, you fell in love with Tiffany and still is in love with her." Jessica answered without looking at Taeyeon.

"Do you know that I love you Jessica Jung Sooyeon?" Taeyeon asked suddenly, eyes full of emotions Jessica could not comprehend.

Jessica's not sure how to answer but she did anyway "Of course, you've told me that countless of times. You love me because I'm your best friend."

There was then silence for a moment before Jessica felt a cold hand touched her chin and made her look into a pair of brown eyes she always loved.

"Jessica Jung Sooyeon, your answers in my questions are wrong, not even a single thing is right, and you call yourself my best friend?"

Jessica looked shocked, at the sudden skinship, at how close her face was to Taeyeon's and how the latter's breath hit her face as she spoke. "What?"

Taeyeon chuckled,"One, the happiest moment of my life are those moments spent with the ice princess I call my best friend, especially on my 18th birthday when we did so much things that you made me smile even though I'm going through a heartbreak."

Jessica's eyes widened as Taeyeon continued "I did fell in love with my best friend, too bad you got the answer wrong again, it is not Tiffany I fell in love with. Maybe I was just really infatuated, or a really big crush on her."

At this Jessica just lost her ability to think or say something, excitement is filling her, butterflies started to flutter in her stomach again, and when Taeyeon answered the last question.. "Third and last one. Jessica Jung Sooyeon, I love you not because you're my best friend. I love you more that, I realized that long ago, I know this may sound crazy and I dont want to ruin the friendship that we have because it's the closest I got to you but I'm taking the risk, hoping that you'll fall in love with your best friend too."

Jessica can't hold in the tears and bursted crying, startling Taeyeon who panicked at the sight of Jessica crying. She moved to the other side and embraced the girl. Jessica then turned to her and started hitting Taeyeon.

Yah Sica! What did I do?! Stop hitting me! If you dont feel the same way you could just say it directly to my face, no need to get violent!" Taeyeon is trying to shield her self with one hand and tried to get a hold of Jessica with her other hand.

"You Kim freaking Taeyeon! How can you be so dense, you stupid midget!" Jessica said in between tears, and this confuses Taeyeon.

"Huh? I don-" Taeyeon wasn't able to finish what she was saying as she felt a pair of cold lips on her own, her eyes widened and her mind shutting down.

Jessica kissed her! It was but a short simple sweet kiss.

"You should've manned up years ago and saved us a lot of heart aches." Jessica said when their lips parted, but she maintained the close proximity of their faces. Taeyeon blinked, once, twice but still haven't said a thing still.

Jessica chuckled at Taeyeon's expression. "What?" With an eyebrow raised she asked Taeyeon.

Taeyeon mindlessly said "Sica you taste bitter sweet like americano." To which Jessica laughed at like there's no tomorrow.

"and I love you too Taengoo~"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

havent checked this one for errors yet :P