Chapter 1

Coming Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I bat my lashes and bite my lip, "E-Excuse me?" I utter, a suitcase in my right hand and my left hand clutching on to a straw hat. "I said- in case you're too dumb to understand- That this side of town belongs to us!" He points his finger  to the rest of his group, as they stare daggers at me. An awkward breeze flutters my dress and my hair blows in the wind, dust flies everywhere but they stand tall, "Oh" I say in response, a triumphant smile erupts on his face. "Glad you understand, now leave!" He yells, pointing back to the train station. I look at it, then back at him, then back at the station, then back at him. "I-I can't do that..." I stutter, him and his friends look stumped. "You're a pretty girl, but that doesn't mean we won't hurt you." Another speaks up, blonde hair stuck to his face due to sweat. "City girls don't belong here!" A purple haired one adds, I gulp nervously. 'What has become of this town? Overrun with gangsters, how does granny survive?' I think to myself, as an awkward silence emerges. "I'm just here to see my grandma, Go Subin!" I say quietly, but the boys perk up, as if I caught their interest. "You're Subin's kid?" They ask, I nod my head "Yes, her granddaughter!" They talk amongst themselves for a while, then ask "How old are you?" I respond with, "16" and they go back to talking. I stand their nervously, as if I'm on trial for coming back home. I draw doodles in the dirt road, waiting for them to declare my imminent death. They disband their huddle and look at me, "We're Vixx, don't forget our name or you'll die!" A jet black haired boy points to me, the rest stand behind him, arms folded. Before I can speak another word, they walk away. "What was that..." I ask myself, still stunned. I slap myself, "Yah Iseul, snap out of it!" I yell, and begin the walk to granny's house. Jeju sure had changed. 


"ISEUL!" Granny yells excitedly, she walks onto the porch, hunched over her cane, clad in a red silky robe. "Granny!" I scurry over to her and embrace her in a bear hug. "My oh My, you sure have matured, LOOK AT THOSE S!" She yells even louder, I quickly cover my chest. I don't remember grandma being this eccentric. She laughs at my reaction, and rushes me inside. "You didn't run into any trouble coming here, did you?" She says, sitting me down on the couch. "Nope!" I lie, but she responds with a quick "hm" in disbelief, but brushes it off. "I'm sorry about you're dad, honey" She adds, grabbing my hands in reassurance. I smile softly and look down. But she quickly changed the topic, "I'm so glad you're here! I've missed you so much!! I have so much to tell you, JaNi got remarried to Mr.Kin and There was a fire right after you left, we lost a lot of good people." She rambles but an apologetic look washed over her face, "but that is for another day, you look tired." I sheepishly nod, "plus you start school tomorrow!" She adds excitedly, I pale instantly "So quick?" I ask, a smug smile appears on her face "Don't think just because you're moving during the middle of the year means you don't have to go to school!! I already have you're uniform!" I try my best to force a smile, "right, thanks granny"

We have a quiet dinner and she fills me in on all the gossip. Although I don't really remember any of the people, I listen intently and appreciate the sound of her voice. After dinner, I unpack my clothes, gran offers to help but I quickly shoo her off to bed, telling her I can handle it. Old people need their rest, right? A single light flickers in my room, the familiar lavender scent sends me a roar of emotions. I hadn't called this place home in almost 9 years, i trail my hands along bed. It's white comforter hadn't changed, nor had the tacky floral wallpaper. I quickly shower and dress in pajamas, if today is anything like the rest of this year I'm going to need A LOT of sleep. I tuck myself into my bed and turn off the light. "Goodnight appa" I whisper.

 

"ISEUL ISEUL" Gran yells from her room, I jolt out of bed. "What's wrong?!" I yell back, with worry written across my face I storm into her room. "Gran, are you alright?!" I quickly in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter