When Universe on Our Side

When Universe on Our Side

 

It’s  7 o’clock  Sunday morning .  

Joonmyeon rub his hand absently and blowing couple time for the heat. It’s really cold outside.  He look around. Street still quiet and empty. Saturday night parties just ended several hours ago.  Every one still in deep slumber at least until 12 noon. Beer cans, stereofoam box, plastic bags  all over the place. One or two people pedalling the’re  bicycle in empty street of Beijing .  

Joonmyeon tight his winter jacket, cover half of his face with red scarf  and head hide under the furry hood perfectly. His palm well hidden under  too long jacket sleeve.  He looked like a bundle of  ball strolling in the street.

Joonmyeon stop in the Starbuck around the corner. Order a cup of Americano and sit far in the corner near the window. He’s  waiting. Waiting anxiously.

 

           Sometime universe really  listen to what you wish. Joonmyeon never thought he and Yifan will meet again very soon.  They pretty happy with what happened on Christmas eve. At least they both know that the feeling still there. Joonmyeon and Yifan  agree they will do thing slowly with out too much hope or agenda. Just flow with it and see what the universe give to them.

            He can’t believe his luck when the manager told about  their January schedule. They’re perfom in Beijing! At the same time Yifan had a schedule in Hunan. It only 2,5 hour from Beijing by flight.  It’s definitely perfect time to spend first  week end in January together. He offer to come to Hunan but Yifan  insist he should the one who fly over since Joonmyeon doesn’t really familiar with China area. Joonmyeon knew exactly Yifan just feel protective. He doesn’t want Joonmyeon struggling  in airport alone.  He can’t  help smiling non stop.

            “What are  you smiling of?” A big hand shaking gently his head and kiss Joonmyeon crown head.

            Joonmyeon look up. Almost jumping  from the seat, he hug Yifan  with a wide smile. “Yifaaaan! ”

            Yifan has to balance his feet unless he will tumbling. “ Woaaah slow down, bunny,” Yifan catch Joonmyeon with one hand while other hand holding a big bag.

            Joonmyeon grin. He grab Yifan  bag and put in the table. He standing on tip toe and hug his bofriend neck tighly. Yifan kiss Joonmyeon cheek, forehead, nose endlessly. Joonmyeon giggling non stop. Finally they lips meet. 

            “I miss you,” Yifan  said between kiss.           

            “I miss you more, dragon,” said Joonmyeon.

            They still hug and kiss. A small cough interrupted.  An old lady standing near them. They’re on her way to the counter.  Joonmyeon bow then duck his head to Yifan chest. He hide his face embarassment.  Yifan bow little and said sorry.

           He ruffles Joonmyeon head before pulling  a chair in front his bofriend. His hand cupped Joonmyeon tiny hand.

            “Don’t you want to order some coffee?”

            Yifan  shake his head. He sip a Americano from Joonmyeon cup. “ I have too much coffee yesterday. I think I need a proper breakfast. Are you hungry?”

            Joonmyeon nod.

            “ I know a great place. They serve the best chiken podridge and baozi*.   How about that?”

            Joonmyeon nod again happily. 

 

 

            Taxi stopped near Tiananmen square and Yifan  guiding Joonmyeon walk down  long  narrow Hutong**. Joonmyeon sure he never know the way back to the main street if Yifan not with him. They just walking down passing a lot of  old houses.  Most of the shops still close.

           They stop in front grey old traditional chinese house with a several round table in the porch. There’s a bicycle for rent parked neatly on the left side of the house.

            “ They serve the best chicken podrrige,” Yifan whisper and led the way enter the house.  

            He greeted an old lady who welcomed them with wide grin until his two her eyes completely disappear.  They seem know each other very well. The lady hold Yifan hand tightly and look surprise. Probably they haven’t meet for a long time. Joonmyeon bow to her and she bowed in reply.

          She stunned a little before said something  in Chinese with teasing  tone.  Yifan babbler a little in nervous. He casualy lead Joonmyeon to the his favorite table  inside the house right in the middle.  There’s only three other customer. All of them are old people.

            Yifan order two  portion of chicken podrrige, a pot of chinese tea and pork baozi. Joonmyeon never taste a really delicious chicken podrrige like this before. It’s really give a warm feeling inside a belly. 

            Yifan tear a small pork baozi, put a half to his mouth and feed the rest for Joonmyeon. He do it again for the second and third baozi until Joonmyeon complain. His belly is almost explode.

            “Ugh… no more!” Joonmyeon refuse the last part.

            “You need to eat more. We are going to do a lot of thing,” Yifan insist. He shove biggest baozi to Joonmyeon mouth until his cheek’s balloon. Joonmyeon  have to chew couple time  before he can speak again.

            “You ar- ” Joonmyeon  glare and smack Yifan arm. He choke a little. His boyfriend just laugh loudly.

            “Haven’ t your mom told you not talking while eating?” Yifan holding him a cup of tea and let Joonmyeon sip.

           Joonmyeon still glare and give an angry expression but he know it useless. Yifan  keep laughing. 

           “Wait, there some thing on there…. “  Yifan touch Joonmyeon chin and give Joonmyeon kiss in a lips. 

            “Yifan!” Joonmyeon hiss  in panic.  Not that he hate the kiss, he just don’t want to give wrong impression to eldest people  about how  bad young generation  behave  in this decent place.

            Yifan give him ‘is there something wrong’ look. He lean forward and try to steal another kiss but Joonmyeon hand push his face quickly.

            Joonmyeon definitely not a matching contender when it come to his boyfriend. With his long arm he can reach Joonmyeon tiny head easly. Hug him tighly and kiss Joonmyeon crown head with a loud and gross sound on purpose. Joonmyeon wiggling out really hard from  Yifan  hug. “ Yi- yifan, please…. “

            Yifan   let him go with a big laugh. His laugh echoing the room. Great.  Now every one look at them!  Yifan still laughing, enjoying  a red burning colour that appear in Joonmyeon face.

            Joonmyeon buried his face with both hand. He should know how antics his favorite dragon is.

 

           

            Sunday morning in Beijing  really beautiful specially when you're  pedalling the bicycle side by side with your boyfriend. Joonmyeon can’t be more grateful than this. They rent a bicycle for wandering  the city. He follow Yifan  who know this area very well. Sometime they stop to enjoy the view or take selca together.

            “Look there’s a lake!” Joonmyeon pointing a beautiful lake.

             “ We can stop here,” Yifan  slowing down his bicycle.

             Joonmyeon  face beaming until a very plum apple cheek appear in his face. Yifan  can’t stand when Joonmyeon show that adobrable expression.  He lean forward and give him a peck in nose.  Joonmyeon scrunch his nose in return.

            Shichahai lake is really beautiful in winter. There’s a lot of  people enjoy skating or  sitting near the lake.  Joonmyeon cover his face wih scarf and lower his hood. He begin hestitate. What if people recognize them?

            “I don’t think people expect us in this open public place,” Yifan  whisper.

            Joonmyeon look around. Yeah… he almost like local people with all big coat and scarft bundle up all over. Well, probably Yifan stand out little bit since he really tall and very stylist with sun glasses, black navy double coat, beanie and scarf tied loosely in his neck. He definitly look like model doing a winter photoshoot. 

            “I know a good spot, ” yifan pull Joonmyeon in his arms.

            They sat near the lake in hidden spot and enjoying the view.  Yifan cupped both his hand in Joonmyeon hand. He really  love when Yifan do that.

            “Let’s do skating,” Joonmyeon said abrubly. He see a rental skate counter.

            “Wh- what? “

            “Ice skating.” 

            “I’m not really in the mood of playing. Why don’t we just sitting here.”

            Joonmyeon laugh a little. He remember Yifan  not really good at skating. Actually he the one who teach Yifan skating back in Seoul. Last time Yifan fall several time and had small bruised in his arm. Yifan skill still rough but he sure it doesn’t matter.

            “Come on Yifan . It’s fun. I'll help you okay.”

            Yifan  shake his head but Joonmyeon pout and saying ‘please…please’  no stop.

            “Okay! Okay, but you have to hold me,okay!”

            Joonmyeon nod  and drag Yifan  to rental counter.

 

            Holding a giant boyfriend definitely a problem for Joonmyeon. Yifan  really stiff and he grip Joonmyeon hand almost like crushing his hand. 

            “Relax. Move you right foot first and follow my lead, “ Joonmyeon gently said.

            Yifan  scoff, “ Easy for you to say.”

            He trying to balance his move. His leg wobbling many time but Joonmyeon always hold his hand and never let him fall.

            “It’s easy. Slowly… slowly, don’t look down you will losing balance and fall. Look at me, dragon. ”

            Yifan tilt his head slowly and they eyes meet. Joonmyeon smile widely until his eyes crinkle. Yifan absently move his leg and glidding smooth in the ice.

            “See you can do it,” Joonmyeon say like a proud teacher.

            They successfully managed skating hand in hand eventually.  Probably slower than other but still, it’s so much fun!

 

 

            Sun almost set. People start pouring to the lake. They almost bump into other couples and children many times. 

            “I think we better rest,” Yifan guide Joonmyeon to the side. They decide to take a rest and sit.

            “Are you hungry?”

            “Yes a little.”

            “ I’m starving. Let’s have an early dinner.”

            “Sure,” Joonmyeon look around. There are several  food stall. Hot dog, dumpling, wonton soup, corn in stick. “How about…. “

            “ No. I have  a great place to eat. It’s not far,” Yifan  whistle and taxi stopped right in front of them. He said some address. 

            “Wait, we forgot our bicycle!”

            Yifan  wave his hand nonchalantly. “ Don’t worry about it.”

            Joonmyeon frown. He still have a question but Yifan already push him go inside the taxi.

 

             In short time they arrived. He can hear tyred sceeching the road and brake being push. He almost leap to the front seat if Yifan  not holding him.  What a crazy driver!  Yifan seem doesn’t care. He look pleased, pay the fare and lead Joonmyeon stepping out from the taxi.

            Taxi drop them in front some luxury and avant-garde building. It look more like gallery than place to eat. There’s no other customer  but two of them.

            “Where are we? What kind of place is this? You said we’re going to eat. This is not look like a restaurant! Is taxi driver trick us? ” asked Joonmyeon panic.

           “Kim Joonmyeon stop asking  too much question.  Relax, okay. Relax,” Yifan snapped.

            Joonmyeon press his lips in worried. Every thing goes so smoothly so far. He don’t want they make a stupid mistake. Actually he pretty happy if they just eating hot dog near a lake.

            Before he open his mouth, a lady greeting them. Talk to Yifan and show them to the private small room. There’s a one table decoration with wine and candle.  A music from a stereo set playing as soon as Yifan and Joonmyeon sitting. The chef bring a food chart with two bowl of corn cream soup as appetizer. Main course are sirloine steak with mash potatoe and gravy on side.

             Joonmyeon never thought about candle light dinner like this. As if it’s not enough, warm chocolate being serve for dessert. Then they move to big soft sofa near the window watching Beijing city light.

            “You planned all this, dont you?” Joonmyeon snuggled and lean his head in Yifan  arm.

            “Me?  I don’t have time for planning anything. Too busy! ,” he said nonchalantly.

            Joonmyeon chuckle. “ Thank a lot. I really appreciate this,” he give a peck in cheek.  

           “ Next time let me treat you.” Another peck in lips.

            “ You don’t have to treat me anything. You’re present is more than enough,” Yifan  tight his hug around Joonmyeon shoulder.

            “ Oh God, you’re so cheesy!” 

            If they can stopped the time, this is the perfect time.

 

                                

               It’s really amazing that in crowded airport no one notice them.  They go the Yifan airline counter first. He has a flight back to Shanghai at 21.45 while Joonmyeon flight back to Seoul  at 21.00  Both Yifan and Joonmyeon originally intented is take the last flight but it’s good coincident that their depature almost at the same time. They still have time together in waiting  lounge.

              There’s  nothing much to do. Just siping an orange juice for Yifan and a glass of mineral water for Joonmyeon. They sat side by side with finger interlace. Enjoy their last time until the boarding time.

               Finally, Joonmyeon flight boarding first.

              Joonmyeon handed his  ticket to the officer in boarding gate.

            “ Do you think we will meet again?” Joonmyeon still holding Yifan hand. He’s not ready to say good bye.

            “Absolutely.”

            “What if we won’t?”

            “ You have to have a faith, bunny. Look what universe gave us today.”

            Joonmyeon nod and smile widely.  It’s hard to believe that he and Yifan  can enjoy everything without  any single phone called or people interrupted.  It’s like universe hide them under the invisible cloak for a day. 

             “ Yeah, I believe universe on our side this year.”

 

======

 

* baozi =  steam bun

** hutong = area type of small and narrow alley in chinese city, mostly in Beijing.