01: Kai meets IU

Dodge or Burn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment Jieun had found out that she and Exo would be collaborating for a special stage for Music Bank’s end of year concert; she was filled with both dread and excitement. IU the singer could face Kai the singer because everything is business and professional, but Jieun doesn’t know how to face Jongin, the boy she had once loved a long time ago. 

The short meeting at the producer’s office between her, the Exo members as well as the Music Bank producer to discuss the concept of the show.  Seeing Jongin again in the flesh was almost surreal.  He had entered with a slight smile on his face; his hair clean cut and gelled back.   He was handsome, no longer than the young teenager with cute boyish smile instead now he looked much more charismatic and mature.

But since it was a formal meeting, her interaction with him had been minimal and manageable.  But as her manager drove up in front of the newly built SM building, which had a huge promotional poster plastered on the face of it, the nervousness to see Jongin again increased ten-fold.

A flood of nostalgia overwhelmed her as she entered the practice room that once had been where she had sweated many hard hours away.  The interior had changed slightly, from the once plain binds to ones with white clouds and a clear blue sky.  At the end of room sat Yixing who was busy looking through his phone and didn’t notice Jieun come in.

Jieun politely greeted Yixing who smiled back, “Hi Jieun.  You are amazing artist, you know?  I bet SM wished they never let you go.”

Jieun could tell that Yixing was trying to make her comfortable in this familiar yet new environment.  She shook her head and replied,  “It’s you guys who need to be proud.  You shot up the charts overnight with your new song, Growl.  That’s incredible.”

This is when the choreographer came in with Jongin.  He was dressed in comfortable grey sweats and a loose white t-shirt.  His hair was no longer gelled back like in the meeting and instead was unstyled and loose. He was a lot paler and skinner than how she had remembered him to be.  But she figured that was normal since it had been six years since she had seen him in person. 

Jieun wondered where all the other members were.  As if Jongin could read her mind, he said, “It’s just me and Yixing you’re practicing with today. But mostly me.”

The choreographer, Min, immediately whacked Jongin on the head lightly.  “Can you stop scaring the poor girl?”  And then in a much sweeter voice to Jieun, “Sorry IU.  He’s a bit obnoxious at times.”

The choreographer went through the basics of the dance step by step and then asked them to practice.  It was pretty much a three-way dance between her, Yixing and Jongin.  Jieun found it difficult to learn the moves as quickly as the both of them and the strain of her comeback didn’t leave much in terms of energy. 

As if Jongin could sense this, he said, “Let’s take a break IU-sunbae.”

This was when Yixing said, “Sorry Jieun, I have another schedule to go to.  I’ll have to practice with you another day.  We have the basic steps down and I’ll practise in my spare time as well, so we can run through next time we have to meet up for practice.  Jongin can still practice with you.”

He smiled brightly before bowing and leaving the room.  Why did Jieun get the feeling that this was on purpose?

Jongin went over to turn on the music again and held a hand out to Jieun, “Will you dance with me?”  She smiled back wistfully at Jongin and took his hand. It felt like the old times when Jongin helped Jieun with her dancing.   She missed those simpler times, even though there was so much uncertainty in their lives.  Things were more complicated now. Even though back then, everything had seemed so hard.

Jieun was glad that Jongin no longer looked at her the way he used to.  There was more acceptance in his eyes and this was just the beginning of their careers. 

The dance was partly modern and partly ballroom.  It required them to be in close contact with each other for a majority of the dance.  Jongin held her waist firmly and his other hand slid into her own.

Jieun emptied her mind and concentrated on the dance.  As they approached the of the dance, even though this was part of the dance, Jieun was pretty sure Jongin was much closer than he was meant to be.  She could feel his tight abs against her body.     “Jieun.”  It was so low and soft, she almost thought she was hearing things.  He had spoken to her in a formal tone so far.  This was the first time he used a casual way of speaking with her.

“Yeah?”

“Did I make it?  Did I finally catch up to you?”  His expression was expectant and hopeful.  They had stopped dancing but Jongin had not let her go.

She wondered how often he thought of her throughout the years.  She secretly hoped he still remembered all the times they had practised together.  It was a selfish thought since it was her that broke up with him.  He had every right to forget her completely.  But here they were, Jongin facing her like there were no hurtful memories that he carried.

“I’m proud of you,” She finally said, looking straight back at him. 

“Don’t say it like a mother is saying it to their child,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter