Chapter 4

Way To Say Goodbye

-----

 

It was like a lame joke from destiny to let the sky start dropping huge, beautiful snowflakes this night. Every single family with children in Seoul rushes out of their houses to get their grip of this rare miracle, young couples take cute poses for their cameras while the snow decorates their hairs and coats.

 

A lonely man wearing a light brown trench walks down the street with a cap pulled deep down his head. The Christmas decorations on both sides, up and down the street are casting their bright lights on his face as much as he tries to hide his face from the world.

 

Kyuhyun has no idea where he is going. All he knows is that this Christmas, perhaps, became the worst of them all.

 

I went to hotel with Hunnie. You two, please feel like home, feel free to use anything you find. Have fun and merry Christmas x

 

The message popped to Kyuhyun’s phone only a couple of minutes after the accident already happened. It came with a cheesy selfie of Donghae and Sehun lying on their sheets, wearing Christmas hats. Donghae probably planned this all beforehand. He knew Kyuhyun was going to be alone, and that he would come back to Donghae’s place for the night. He thought it would be a nice Christmas present to speak Eunhyuk to give him a surprise visit.

 

It would have been the best surprise visit in the world. Kyuhyun was already missing Eunhyuk more than ever and any excuse to make up the fight would have been good enough. But now…

 

The side street turns to a vast square with a beautiful fountain in middle of it brightfully blinking with golden lights. People are walking around it, stopping to take pictures. In the back of his mind, Kyuhyun recognises the place to be the same that once used to work as a marketplace. Once, it sold the most delicious fudge he had ever put in his mouth. Once, he had been hassling around it with his own Eunhyuk.

 

Kyuhyun feels how his legs are getting weak from all the walking - he must’ve wandered for over an hour. There is a bench on the side and Kyuhyun sits down on it quickly, maybe just a moment before his body would’ve given up. An old lady is sitting on the other side of the bench, giving the young man a curious glance when he pulls a silver bottle out from inside the pocket of his trench.

 

Kyuhyun takes the wine bottle in his hands and stares at the huge, black letters describing its tart and expensive taste. It is the only thing he took with him from Donghae’s flat after forcing Changmin out in his sudden attack of unleashed panic. His phone, his wallet, his everything he left behind.

 

“Eunhyuk will never forgive me.”

 

Kyuhyun forms the word on his lips, trying to make himself understand the reality. It was true. This was something Eunhyuk could never overcome. This was the worst that could happen. He was so worried for Eunhyuk - what would the man think now? What would he do now? What would he do now that his worst nightmare had actualised in front of his own eyes?

 

That’s it, Kyuhyun thinks and brings his hand on the neck of the bottle. That’s about us. All he would do now is to open the bottle and consume the wine that had waited for way too long for the right moment. Maybe it was a sign, after all. If the perfect Christmas would never come, maybe there was no point in pathetically trying to wait for one. Maybe it was the time to undress the last piece of optimism and face the reality. This relationship was not meant to work.

 

Kyuhyun’s fingers are shivering from the cold air outside and the cork gets stuck. Tears are running down his cheeks - finally he let himself cry. For the one last time. He can’t control his movements properly, the bottle just keeps on twirling and sliding in his hands. With an exhausted sigh, Kyuhyun lets the bottle drop from his fingers, from between his legs to the snow covered paving. It doesn’t break, it just keeps a sad little ping and rolls under the pench.

 

Almost about not to turn around and grab the bottle back Kyuhyun remembers how much it was worth and how he would regret abandoning it later, and starts standing up from the bench but he is stopped by a slight jab on his shoulder.

 

“It’s my favourite wine.”

 

A squeaky voice says in a soft manner from behind the bench. The bottle is leant over Kyuhyun’s shoulder, his fingers finding their way around it despite being frozen to their places. Kyuhyun closes his eyes and listens how the steps go round the bench and a warm breeze touches him as the person sits next to him.

 

“Please don’t tell me it’s you.”

 

Kyuhyun whispers, unable to open his eyes. He keeps on pressing the bottle against his lap, thinking of all the possible events in the world that could’ve let Eunhyuk to him again.

 

“It’s me.”

 

Eunhyuk says. His voice sounds coarse, just like he’d been also crying and walking in the outside air for way too long. The light wind that blows over the market square brings the smell of Eunhyuk’s more-than-familiar aftershave to Kyuhyun’s nose. Kyuhyun realises he feels how much he has missed it as a physical reaction in his body: there are no words coming out of his mouth and his mind seems blurry and even his ears seem to become deaf for anything else than for the rhythm of breathing Eunhyuk has right there next to him.

 

“We came here together once. Actually, nine years ago on the eighteenth of December. We were waiting for Leeteuk and Heechul hyungs to finish off a schedule. There was a market in here on that late afternoon. We ate so many foods I didn’t feel hunger in days.”

 

Eunhyuk says and his voice sounds like he would be smiling. Kyuhyun gulps. He doesn’t dare to open his eyes as he has no idea what to say or do. Eunhyuk continues.

 

“And you liked that one fudge seller so much that it was ridiculous. You seemed like in heaven when picking those flavours and I tried to remember each one of them so that I can come back later and buy a huge bag of them for you for Christmas. Because, I knew you would appreciate it.”

 

When talking about Kyuhyun’s excitement, Eunhyuk’s voice seemed to turn softer and he finished the sentence with a nervous chuckle.

 

“I ran after that fudge seller for a week. And as I never gave the gift for you, I never got to knew whether I picked the right flavours.”

 

At this point Kyuhyun can’t help but open his eyes. Eunhyuk is digging up something from his pocket, first taking out his phone and then a small, outlived brown paper bag that had grease stains all around it. Kyuhyun gulps and glances at the wine bottle in his hands. He is about to raise it up, to say something or at least apologise or try to explain himself or anything but finds himself unable to do anything else than tear up and stare at the bottle he has been staring for way too long today. Why Eunhyuk doesn’t seem upset at all?  

 

“I got a call from Changmin.”

 

Eunhyuk suddenly says. Their eyes meet.

 

“C-Changmin?”

 

“Yes. He explained what had happened.”

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes widen and he quickly faces the view in front of him instead of looking at Eunhyuk. Really...Changmin did that...for him?

 

“T-that it was nothing that it seemed like?”

 

Kyuhyun asks quickly, seeing from the corner of his eye how Eunhyuk nods.

 

“Yes. And he also told me the reason I keep on getting a weird vibe of him is because he is a bad person, and basically begged me for an apology.”

 

Kyuhyun can’t help but look at Eunhyuk again. The man is looking down at the paper bag in his hands, smiling sadly. He is still wearing one of his best coats, and an expensive blue button-up Kyuhyun knew he would wear only for the finest of occasions. Eunhyuk had really wanted to make up the fight and spend a happy Christmas with Kyuhyun when coming to Donghae’s flat.

 

“Well...did you forgive him?”

 

Kyuhyun asks awkwardly, shivering from the inside when a cold wind blows over them again. Like of a habit, Eunhyuk glances over him and seems to be about to wrap his arm around the younger one’s shoulders just to gulp down his attempt. He smiles by himself before answering, looking at his hands like he’d been slightly uncomfortable stating these words aloud.

 

“I forgave him and I also asked for his forgiveness.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Let’s face it. The problem is in me. I should learn to trust in you in these kind of things. Not to draw the worst possible conclusion. To ease up a bit. To...respect you. To respect myself. To...you know...do everything you have always told me.”

 

Kyuhyun can’t believe what he is hearing. Without his control, he feels how the corner of his mouth starts lifting up from the mere happiness of hearing the words he had - for years - waited to hear from Eunhyuk’s own little mouth. Eunhyuk sighs awkwardly and all of a sudden, throws his arm over Kyuhyun’s shoulders and pulls him closer so to warm him up. They both look down at their laps. They don’t know what to say. They’ve never been as close to making up this endless fight as right now.

 

“That doesn’t mean I like finding you kissing other guys.”

 

Eunhyuk says quietly, Kyuhyun smiling and hiding his face in the collar of Eunhyuk’s coat before the man has a chance to disappear. He doesn’t understand how it is possible for something as terrible as his life a couple of minutes ago to turn around like this but he cannot complain. Kyuhyun realises that he owes Changmin for making that phone call more than he can perhaps ever repay.

 

“Were you going to drink that bottle all by yourself, Kyu?”

 

“N-no…”

 

They both laugh. With shivering hands, Kyuhyun places the bottle in Eunhyuk’s lap instead.

 

“It’s been waiting for you for years.”

 

“Just like this.”

 

Eunhyuk raises up the little paper bag and Kyuhyun grabs it immediately, opening it and catching the scent of the heavenly fudges he hasn’t been able to experience in years. He is about to take a piece but finds himself unable to control his frozen fingers and gives up, rolling the bag back close and casting an endlessly thankful glance at Eunhyuk. They both chuckle happily.

 

“Did you also get the message from Donghae?”

 

Kyuhyun asks, remembering all about the secret plan that had been arranged just to get the two of them back together for this Christmas. He feels so thankful for everyone right now - for Donghae, for Changmin, even for Sehun for simply existing. Is this the Christmas spirit the American movies were all about?

 

“I got it. Damn, but I didn’t want to see that selfie though. I’m pretty sure they were both in it.”

 

“Were they? Oh dear, I didn’t even notice.”

 

They laugh and Eunhyuk opens up his phone, showing the picture again to Kyuhyun. They share a disgusted glance at each other and burst laughing. It seems to be true. Kyuhyun sighs and looks around. When coming in this place, he never realised how beautiful the square looked like. He didn’t realise that the snowflakes dropping from the sky made Seoul look unbelievably beautiful.

 

Another cold wind blows over the happy couple on the bench - it has been blowing all the time but neither of them wanted to pay any attention to it - and Kyuhyun gives Eunhyuk a meaningful look.

 

“What about me, you, that bottle of wine, these fudges and the soft couch of Donghae’s flat?”

 

“Sounds like a deal.”

 

Kyuhyun hops up from the bench, grabbing the fudges in his other hand tightly, and grabbing Eunhyuk’s hand even more tightly. Eunhyuk smiles at him, standing up as well looking endlessly happy despite the melting snowflakes all over his head that are about to ruin his precious hair. Kyuhyun wipes the biggest flakes away before they start walking.

 

“Let’s go before we can find a reason to fight again.”

 

“Shut up!”

 

“Just kidding. Merry Christmas, Eunhyuk.”


“Merry Christmas, Kyuhyun.”

 

----

 

 

A/N: Yay, a happy ending! :) Thank you for reading this and leaving comments, I hope you enjoyed it! I would wish you a merry Christmas unless it would be a bit late xD xx