Drabble 3

Our World

 

"Joonmyeon..." Yifan pushes the bedroom door gently, revealing a dark room with only the soft light from the moon iluminating the entire bedroom. The light coming from the hallway allows him to spot a big lump on the bed and he smiles softly, closing the door behind him and makes his way to the single bed at one corner of the bedroom. "Joonmyeon..."

 

"No. Go away."

 

The ball of blanket shifts and Yifan just stands there by the bedside, eyes taking notice the lamp on the side table but he chooses to sit instead, leaving the room dark the way as he first came in. This has happened before and he knows the person inside the blanket just need some time alone but he just couldn't let it be. He tugs softly the blanket but it only makes the lump move farther away from him, the covers being balled up even more as it hides at the corner of the bed. "Joonmyeon..."

 

"Go away. I don't want to talk to anyone right now."

 

"Even me?"

 

"Especially you."

 

Yifan sighs as he stares at lump of blanket before he climbs on the bed, making his way towards the covers and sits beside it, squeezing the person that has turned into a blanket ball between himself and the headboard. He scoots some more and stops when a soft whimper catches his ears, and he can't help but chuckle as he finds a comfortable position beside the lump of blanket. "Sehun called and told me what happened."

 

A muffled grumble is heard and Yifan finds himself smiling again. He doesn't quite sure how many times he has been smiling since he got the call from Sehun but if he has to guess, the smile he is having right now is probably the twentieth one since half an hour ago. It is not like it can't be help. The person inside the blanket has been his source of smile ever since he knew him. And he has faced this situation a few times too.

 

"Is it the manager?" Yifan earns no response. "Did a co-worker badmouthing you again?" The lump still isn't moving and Yifan sighs. To say he was surprised when Sehun called and told him that his brother is a jobless man again is a lie but he thought it would come much later. The male just started his job as a waiter at a restaurant downtown only two weeks ago, where he would always last at least a month before quitting.

 

"Joonmyeon, talk to me, please." The blanket shifts slightly and Yifan inhales before leaning to the side, resting his head on the soft material. The waitering job is Joonmyeon's fourth job since the male graduated from his software engineering major two years ago. Of course everyone around the male wondering why Joonmyeon didn't look for a job based on what he had studied but it was his parents that pushed Joonmyeon that way when the male told them he still hasn't decide what to do after finishing high school.

 

But then Sehun graduated from high school and the siblings' parents focused on the younger brother instead, leaving the older brother to do as what he liked, since Sehun got into this big university and is pursuing what he loves doing, taking care of people and on his way to become a doctor, which any parents in the world would be proud of. And that is why the younger asked his older brother to live with him in this house the brothers' parents found for Sehun's easy commute to his university. The folks never compared the two but the younger could see how uncomfortable the his older brother was when the talk during their meals were mostly about him.

 

It wasn't right but Yifan can't bring himself to blame Joonmyeon's parents. Their forcing that made them meet. If Joonmyeon already sort out his future, his parents wouldn't be forcing him and the male wouldn't gone to the same university as Yifan did and Yifan wouldn't bumped into the smaller while he was rushing to get to his class and he wouldn't know Joonmyeon's name when Yifan found him in the library the next day and returned the nameless notebook filled with coding that a business major like him felt dizzy just looking at it that he must have picked up by accident during the commotion.

 

And they have been friends since then, waiting for each other to grab lunch together and spending the rest of the night in the library, finishing their assignments. But there would be nights when he was awaken by Joonmyeon's call, saying he is outside his block building and Yifan would make sure there's no traces of him sleeping before going down to greet the male. And they would walk around the campus, with Joonmyeon telling him how difficult it is being a software engineering student with a smile, a different kind of smile than the one when they visited that dessert buffet a few weeks back.

 

"You do know that I'm not going anywhere until you talk to me." Yifan hears a whimper and he sits straight up, his back against the wall as he watches the blanket being pulled down to reveal a mop of dark hair, with the face still hiding in the corner of the headboard and the wall. "Just tell me his name and me and Sehun will kick his ." He sees the head shake and another muffled mumble reaches his ears. "His name is Nawon?"

 

"No one!"

 

Yifan is taken aback by the sudden burst as Joonmyeon turns with the blanket still wrapped around his body and knocking his head with Yifan's upper arm softly, again and again. "Joonmyeon..."

 

"The manager was nice. The other staffs were nice too. Everything was okay."

 

Yifan blinks in confusion at the confession, watching Joonmyeon that has stop headbutting his arm and making his way under it instead. Yifan feels the small nose that is poking his side as Joonmyeon decides to hide his face against Yifan's ribcage and he lets out a breath. He still remembers Joonmyeon's first job after half a year he graduated. It was at a fast food joint and Yifan never miss to visit him during his lunch hour, his eyes fixed at the male behind the counter while having his lunch. And he understood when Joonmyeon told him that he wants to try other things after his three-month contract ended.

 

The male is trying to find something that fit him best and Yifan couldn't agree more. Not everyone is like him that got a job doing what he does best right after his graduation. There are many people like Joonmyeon more than people like him and he had promise himself that he will be right by the male's side when Joonmyeon needs him. That is why he couldn't hold back and punched that erted manager when he found out the reason why the male quit from the staff at the club Joonmyeon was working as a bartender when Yifan knew how much he enjoy working there.

 

And Joonmyeon's job as a helper at the amusement park. He was right there, towering over Joonmyeon when the other helpers passed by them and their words about the male still pisses him off until this day. The look on Joonmyeon's face when those bastards finally disappeared clearly told him that that wasn't the first time it happened and he couldn't be more relieve when Joonmyeon agreed to his suggestion about quitting the job. The place didn't deserve a kind prince like Joonmyeon when the peasants were all rude bastards.

 

And that were what Yifan thought after the call with Sehun ended. Did the manager has a death wish as he couldn't keep his hands to himself or those so called 'co-workers' acting almighty disguising harsh words as advices. But just now Joonmyeon said everything was okay. The manager was acting like a real manager and the co-workers weren't such low-lifes. So what did really happen that the make quit his job only after two weeks when there was no problem?

 

Yifan lifts his arm and cards his fingers between the soft locks. "If nothing happened, why did you quit?"

 

"I don't know."

 

"You don't..." Yifan's hand stops carding when Joonmyeon suddenly comes out from under his arm and stares straight into his eyes.

 

"I don't know, okay! I don't know! Everyone was nice! The manager treated me well! The hyungs were all so kind! They even asked me to stay but I quit anyway! And I don't even know why I do that! I don't even... know... Yifan, I don't know..."

 

The male slumps over his lap and Yifan never feel this helpless before. There is no sob reaching his ears but he knows how Joonmyeon is feeling right now. Joonmyeon had told him a few times how he feel so useless in front of Sehun. He is the older one between them yet he isn't setting a good example to the younger. Four years as a software engineering student feels like a waste of time and he keeps changing jobs one after another. He is practically mooching off Sehun.

 

"Why am I like this, Yifan? Why am I not like you? Why didn't I know what I want to do with my life like you and Sehun? Why..."

 

"Because if you did, we probably wouldn't meet." Yifan smiles as he rubs the small back. "And my life wouldn't be as fun as now if that had happened. Because you, Kim Joonmyeon, never fail to make me smile." He leans down, placing a soft kiss on Joonmyeon's head before proceeds to lift the male off his lap and makes Joonmyeon face him, locking their gazes. He sees tears stain on those puffy cheeks and he wipes them away with the heel of his palms. He didn't know Joonmyeon was this stress about what to do for a living.

 

The small eyes are red and puffy and Yifan caresses them with his thumbs. He couldn't help feeling guilty at the fact that he doesn't aware of Joonmyeon's problems. All about his previous job was nice but the male decided quit anyway means that it wasn't enough working just for the money. Joonmyeon needs something that he himself enjoy doing it and even better if he could support his life with it too.

 

Yifan pulls Joonmyeon into a hug, letting the male rest his chin on his shoulder as he feels the tiny frame relaxing inside his embrace. "Remember that song Baekhyun used to sing while he's in the shower?" Silence fills the bedroom before Yifan's body is moving with Joonmyeon's nod. "Just like that song, you don't have to worry about your life. I know you will eventually find something to do that you really like that you can make money out of it too. Whether it is right or wrong, you just have do it your own way."

 

"But, I really don't know what to do, Yifan. I'm not good at anything. I'm already a burden to Sehun and my parents. And I will be a burden to you too."

 

Yifan shakes his head. "You are never a burden to me, Joonmyeon."

 

"But you told Sehun that you want someone that can take care of themselves. Someone that can take the world head on. Someone that know what to do with their life. And I am not any of that. You wouldn't want to be with a burden like me."

 

Yifan blinks at the words he just heard. He remembers telling Sehun all of that while visiting Joonmyeon a few months after Joonmyeon quit his first job. He lets the words sink before blinking again, eyes gazing down at the figure inside his arms. Did Joonmyeon say what he thought Joonmyeon was saying? "Joonmyeon." He breaks the hug and tries to meet with the male's eyes that are looking down. "Joonmyeon, look at me."

 

The male finally looks up and their gazes meet and Yifan is flooded with familiar feelings that he always noticed it presence but never thought much about it. And as he keeps staring at Joonmyeon, all those feelings become much clearer and he has found the answers to the questions that keep popping up from time to time while he with Joonmyeon. How he sometimes wonder if Joonmyeon's eyes always had been that beautiful. How he notice Joonmyeon would fit perfectly inside his arms, being tucked under his chin as they hugged before parting ways. How he wonder if Joonmyeon's red lips tasted like cherry when it became like one as he pouted while telling about his day.

 

Thank goodness he isn't a ert for thinking about his best friend like that. He is just in love with him. That's all. Yifan's eyes suddenly gaze down at his last thought and finds the same red cherry on Joonmyeon's lips. He leans closer, eyes hooded as he is about to find out if Joonmyeon's lips really taste like cherry when Joonmyeon's palm covers his mouth and he being pushed away. He blinks dumbly at Joonmyeon. Did he misthought what he thought Joonmyeon was saying? "Joon..."

 

"I was going to confess when I finally found a stable job, the one you would be proud of so that you won't ashamed being with me but..."

 

But Yifan just removes the tiny hand away and connects his and Joonmyeon's lips together. He feels Joonmyeon's hands pushing his shoulders away before it stops and falls on his lap when Yifan deepens their kiss. He sighs blissfully into the kiss, nipping on Joonmyeon's lower lip before breaking away, his own lips for that much-more-sweeter-than-cherry aftertaste. He cups Joonmyeon's face and smiles, his heart swelling at the pink blush on Joonmyeon's face that he caused.

 

"Why did you do that? I was telling..."

 

The rest of the words become white noise as Yifan keeps his eyes lock on his best friend whom he is in love with. He doesn't know since when he has this wonderful feeling towards his best friend but he is glad he discovered it before it is too late. He has known Joonmyeon for almost five years and those years were the best years of his life. He wouldn't be able to finish his fianl year project if Joonmyeon wasn't there making sure he stay awake by bringing him coffee at three in the morning. He wouldn't be so proud when Joonmyeon went to hug him first instead of his parents and Sehun at his graduation day. He was lucky to have bumped into Joonmyeon that day even though it turned out his class was cancelled. Because it he hadn't, he probably won't becoming the kind of person he is today.

 

Yifan smiles when he sees the small mouth is still moving, he still can't hear anything though, and leans back in, capturing those sweeter-than-cheery lips again for a quick kiss and successfully makes Joonmyeon stop talking and look at him.

 

"Yifan..."

 

"Those things I told Sehun about my ideal type, it turns out I don't need them. I only need you." Yifan smiles when the pink blush becomes a shade darker. "You don't need a great job to be with me. You already a great person yourself and I am honoured that you would like someone like me that knows nothing but work."

 

"So you... don't mind with me not having a job... that I have no future?"

 

"But, you do have a future. With me." Yifan can almost see the smokes coming from the top of Joonmyeon's head as the male is blushing furiously at his words and he pulls Joonmyeon for a hug, securing the tiny body flushed against his own. He lets silence fall between them and his eyes catch a wooden figure of a butterfly on the desk near the bed. Yifan has one too, but it is a bird and he got it as a birthday gift from Joonmyeon that he was left speechless when Yifan was told that Joonmyeon made it by himself from scratch.

 

"Joonmyeon."

 

"Hm?"

 

Yifan breaks the hug and looks into Joonmyeon's eyes. "Tomorrow, let's go check that wood workshop you found before. You said it's just a hobby but your woodworks are beautiful." Yifan gestures with his head over Joonmyeon's shoulder and the male focuses back at him after taking a glance at his desk. He knows about Joonmyeon's hobby, carving things from wood, and Joonmyeon would give his works to anyone he likes without reasons. The smiles those people had when they received it, Yifan would see twice as bigger on Joonmyeon's face. Joonmyeon's works weren't anything fancy but if they play their cards right, they can turn the hobby into something profitable.

 

"We can ask if they take students and if it's not, we can search other places."

 

"Can I really do that?"

 

Yifan nods. "You will be doing something you really enjoy. The money is just something extra that comes with it. And seeing you doing something you really love is a reward for me itself." He kisses Joonmyeon's forehead before hugging him again. "Now, let's take you and the eavesdropper outside for some dinner. I can hear both stomachs grumbling begging for food."

 

"That is not what you call your brother-in-law."

 

Yifan smiles when the bedroom door slowly opens, revealing Sehun that is already has his jacket on. His lips stretch a bit more when the younger's last word ringing in his ears. And Joonmyeon's red face when Yifan pulls away from him tells him that he won't be keeping track of his smiles anymore.

 

The source of it will be with him all the time and Yifan doesn't mind if he stuck with this creepy-smiling expression for the rest of his life.