end

Cold Night

He looked around from a height that would conceal him from other people's sight. Tiny lights blinking (some red, some yellow, some white), imitating a precious gem or atleast that's what it seems like from up here. A gush of cold wind pierced through his skin, making him shudder. He made a mental reminder to wear thicker clothes next time (but then his eyes travel over his shoulder and he sighs). It's impossible to wear a coat, he thinks. His eyes, again, started scanning and taking in his surrounding. He's on top of one of the tallest building in Seoul (but it's always a different one every night). He needs to get away from their curious eyes, away from humanity. He stood still; eyes closed with thoughts whirlwinding in his mind. A sigh escaped. His eyes flutter open. It's just another lonely night for him. 

 

What he didn't notice is a pair of curious eyes fixated on him from behind. Woohyun has to cover his mouth with his hand to keep himself from emitting any sound. He had come up here earlier, after his work ended to get a breather. His life has been stressful enough this past week, he needs a break. He slid his hoodie over his head, with a mug of coffee in hand, and went up to the rooftop. Woohyun has never been afraid of the dark, or high places. He sat quietly near the edge, feet dangling off the building, watching the city slowly dims. Its a quarter past 12am, he should be going home now, but he can't find the will to do so and so he sat, sipping on the hot liquid. He wishes he had worn a thicker sweater because it's much colder up here. He is then lost in his own thoughts until he hears a weird rustling sound. 

 

He put his mug down, eyes darting around, trying to locate the origin of the sound. And when he turned to peek at the other side of the building, he was grateful that he had put the mug down or else it would've fallen and shatter, alerting the creature of his existence there (He thanked his lucky star for that). His eyes began scanning this so claimed creature. He is so breathtakingly beautiful he looks ethereal, or maybe he is; but what Woohyun is curious about is....those wings. Woohyun can clearly see the shiny, black feathers making up a pair of majestically black wings, spread through so big Woohyun is almost tempted to run his fingers through it. He stared at the creature; now his object of interest, hawking his every move trying to figure out the other. 

 

Myungsoo feels a weird sensation, like two burning holes carved on the back of his head. No, he's never been afraid of being alone, he's even more afraid of people to find him like this. So when he turned his head around to inspect his surrounding, he had hoped that his instinct would be wrong this time. But alas, life decides to play with him abit. His eyes widen at the sight of this person behind him, noticing that the other did nothing to save himself from the danger that's infront of him. Woohyun almost choked when the creature suddenly turned around looking right at him, but he chuckled when he saw the other's expression. Slowly his feet began dragging him out of his hiding spot, he turned around, back to the edge where he was sitting earlier, grabbed his mug and began walking towards the pair of black wings.

 

Myungsoo watched the whole scene, not believing what he's seeing. He knows he should be escaping right now, but he just can't bring himself to do that. He watched the other walking closer and closer to him, with a mug in hand. The person earlier finally reached his side, not even looking at him, but a small voice escaped his mouth. "I'm Woohyun. And you?" And he laughs. Myungsoo laughs so hard he thinks his stomach is started to get cramps. Woohyun just stared at him, sipping on whatever that is inside the mug. "Shouldn't you be running away?" Myungsoo looked over to the other. Woohyun brings his mug to his lip once again. "Why should I? You are the one who's running away from people right now, am I not right?" Myungsoo frowned, how the hell did he know that. He kept that thought to himself, however. He settled down beside Woohyun, watching the city dims in silence.

 

Myungsoo's sudden movement got Woohyun out of his trance. He glanced at him. Myungsoo is now laying on the concrete floor, staring at the stars which aren't even there. Before he knows it, words started flowing out of his mouth. "Do you think stars are real?" Myungsoo hummed, but his head shaking. "Why are you staring at the sky then?" Woohyun's curiosity towards Myungsoo increases. Myungsoo chuckled, "I don't know, but it's somehow calming. The darkness of it." Yup he's crazy, Woohyun thought to himself. He looks up at the sky, the darkness threatening to engulf them both into the death of night. But he thinks he can understand abit, does that makes him crazy too?

 

Woohyun pushes that thought to the back of his mind, his gaze back on the other. Myungsoo now has his eyes closed, looking so peaceful Woohyun thinks even if a bomb were to explode next to them right now, this intriguing creature wouldn't be bothered by it. Woohyun focuses on his features, he looks human enough, he thinks, except he's unbelievably beautiful. He looks like an angel, minus the black wings, why is it black anyway? Without him even realizing, his hand is already on the wings, feeling every feather under his skin. Myungsoo's eyes flutter open in an instant. "What do you think you're doing?" Woohyun doesn't bother retreating his hand, and without even looking at Myungsoo, a question escaped his mouth. "What are you?" A smirk appeared on Myungsoo's face, "Thought you'd never ask."

 

"Hey, I'm sure angels do not exist now, come on, take off those fake wings." Woohyun tries to lighten the atmosphere. He looks nervously at the other, biting his lip, mind racing trying to digest what the younger had just told him. A fallen angel..? Does that even makes sense? After a long silence, "Myungsoo." Woohyun now knows that his name is Myungsoo. A hum is heard in reply. "What made you fall though?" Myungsoo laughed (this time lightly), hand ruffling through Woohyun's hair. "Don't think about it too much." Woohyun has 1001 questions but he kept quiet after that. Woohyun doesn't know when nor did he notice, but inbetween empty talks and ocean-deep conversations he himself didn't know he was capable of, he fell asleep. When he did wake up though, it is almost 5am. And when he did wake up, Myungsoo is still next to him, head on his shoulder. He smiled at the sight. 

 

Myungsoo looks much like an angel now that little sun rays are shining on them. The sun rose and begins to light up the whole sky. Woohyun has never liked the sun, he thinks it radiates too much of happiness but he doesn't feel any of it. He looked over to Myungsoo, still sleeping peacefully, and...his wings. "Myungsoo, wake up! Your wings, they're disappearing, I don't know what's happening, are you going to die, please don't die, oh my god what is happening" Myungsoo rubs both his eyes, and looks at Woohyun who is frantically trying to stop his wings from 'disappearing' and he laughs. Woohyun stopped on his track. "You're not going to die?" Myungsoo laughs again, and shook his head. "But your wings, they're gone..." Myungsoo chuckles, "I guess I haven't told you, my wings only appear after midnight and disappears at sunrise. Ow!" Myungsoo rubs his head, that just got smacked by Woohyun. "What was that for?!" Myungsoo half screamed. "For not telling me earlier." Woohyun replied, and got up ready to leave the rooftop. He's thankful that it's Saturday and he doesn't have to work on Saturday. 

 

Woohyun begins heading downstairs, back to his office to get his stuff and drive home. Myungsoo jogged downstairs, barely managed to catch up with Woohyun who is already in the elevator. "You're heading home?" He asked, as the elevator goes down. Woohyun hummed. "See you tonight." is the only thing Woohyun managed to catch before Myungsoo walked out of the elevator, heading straight to the main street, now lost in the sea of people. "I don't want to!" Woohyun shouted back. He doesn't care if the other had heard him, is he crazy why would Woohyun want to see him again? Why would he want to freeze on the rooftop again? He grabbed his breakfast from some drivethru, drove home, showered and now he's staring blankly at his tv, his brain barely registering what show is playing. One name never left his mind though, a certain Kim Myungsoo. 

 

So, at exactly 11:30 pm, he put on his thickest coat, grabs a thick scarf (for Myungsoo) and drove to his workplace. He greets the guard, saying he has some unfinished work to complete. He went up to his cubicle, and make himself hot coffee (this time, there's two mugs). He hesitated for a moment, wanting to return back to his house but his feet then drags him up to the rooftop. When he opens the door, he immediately spots Myungsoo (who is now well aware that Woohyun is there). He walks closer to Woohyun, with that same pair of black wings, more menacing more sinister than one can imagine, etched at his shoulder blades and Woohyun hates to think of how he looks almost perfect. "You came."

 

And when the sun shines on them the next morning, with Myungsoo's head on his shoulder and his scarf around Myungsoo's neck, Woohyun thinks he can feel abit of the happiness that the sun is so shamelessly radiating.