A Roses's Youth

Next Door Flower Boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Rose's Youth

 

 

The winter’s breeze swept across the vacant streets of the large city, blowing pink flower petals away from its mother branch as it danced through the leaves, carrying them into a new destination where another tree will grow and more flowers will bloom in its place. Taekwoon huffed as he cleaned up the old building, his mind still a little bit fuzzy from all the alcohol he’d been drinking last evening when his mother invited him to a family gathering. His sons were still hyper from the events that unrolled last night, jumping up and down around the building, curious young eyes stopped to gaze at the many vases there. Taekwoon was still so confused about how a person would just leave a place like this. It had so much life in it. The shop owner must’ve been someone pretty young, posters and banners of music and dance were hung around the now empty walls, interspersing with the colorful flowers. The young man packed everything into boxes with his son’s help and brought them outside in the cool wind. 

 

Dojin grinned, using his pencil to sketch something down on his notepad his art teacher, Lee Jaehwan had bought him last year as a graduation present. His younger brother, Minhyun had been clinging around Taekwoon instead of playing with his brother like usual. Last night, the younger boy came running to the man saying that Dojin had planned a surprise and Taekwoon shouldn’t interfere with the five-year-old's plans. And so, Minhyun stayed beside the brunette’s side, making sure he didn’t come anywhere near the surprise. It continued on until the next day, even when Taekwoon was off to work, Minhyun would call in to check up on him — just to be at ease for a bit. Taekwoon shrugged his shoulders, stretching the sore muscles that ached so much, the pain numbing his brain to a small fuzz. 

 

“Minhyunnie, go play with your older brother and let Dad fix this old place up,” He had begun saying, pushing the small boy away and towards his brother. But, the young boy just shrugged his shoulders and pouted stubbornly, refusing to leave Taekwoon’s side in case he’ll figure out what the whole surprise is. Taekwoon sighed, running a hand through his hair. “I’ll buy you both ice cream later, okay? I promise that I won’t peak.” He swore, sticking up his pinky. The little boy grinned, wrapping his own finger around Taekwoon’s to secure it. The brunette grinned, ruffling the smaller’s hair before the little boy ran off with Dojin. 

 

Taekwoon groaned as he stood up, gazing around the old flower shop. It was old and the place was a wreck, but his father had wanted him to fix the place up and Taekwoon can only agree, shrugging his shoulders and packed his car with old cardboard boxes to pack the stuff inside. At first, he planned to throw everything away and replace it with something new, something more of his taste. But now that he’s here, the feeling was unbearable. He wanted to keep everything for the place felt so comfortable and homely. The thought of throwing everything that was in there away brought guilt to bubble up in Taekwoon’s stomach, a small lump forming in his throat. He felt… disapproved of if he ever did that. 

 

Taekwoon rushed around the place, cleaning out the shelves that were once filled with beautiful flowers — mostly with azaleas, which he wouldn’t want to question. The brunette threw the dirty rag into a small box, using his sleeve to wipe away the sweat that gathered above his eyebrows and trickled down his forehead. Dojin and Minhyun were still quite jovial, only stopping to ask him what he was doing or giving him a helping hand. The male was still questioning how he could’ve earned such amazing children, but there was only one person to thank. Too bad his partner wasn’t here anymore. He didn’t know whoever she or he was. He had tried asking the two boys once, but they always ignored his question to focus on some other things like homework or the latest soccer games, which always got Taekwoon happy. The two boys were now roaming around the shop, gasping when the found something unusual. 

 

“Dad!” Dojin called, rushing up to his side. Taekwoon rose an eyebrow, turning away from his work to face his son. The boy was motioning wildly with his hands, a sharp pencil was held between his notepad, secured safely inside the object. “Minhyun found something for you!” He gasped and dragged the brunette over to a lone shelf, a ceramic vase stood on the old wood. Music notes were carved on the glass and Taekwoon can only gape at the handiwork. It seemed hand made, which wasn’t too bad. Initials were carved at the very bottom, he soon found out after Minhyun urged him to flip it over. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter