No more synonyms found

Endless stories and an endless dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: No more synonyms found

Description: Donghae has his usual epiphany, Hyukjae's quite used to it.

Rating: idk

Word count: 2772, it's just a baby

Warnings: extremely sappy, avoid if you can't take rainbows and severe fluff

A/N: This is fully based on a song, written at the bottom in case you wanna figure out what song it is yourself

 

No More Synonyms Found

 

Maybe it’s because he finished work early, or maybe it’s the weather, not unbearably hot yet not terribly cold either. It’s just right, a beautiful late summer evening that gives Donghae just the tiniest skip in his light steps. Or maybe it’s the music flowing through his ears, his favourite singer’s newest album playing on repeat as he walks the familiar streets on his way home. Whatever it is, Donghae feels good. Really good. Something about the day has just been… great.

He inhales deeply as he opens his front door to the fresh, warm smell of home. His fingers dance over the back of the couch and he kicks his shoes off without a care in the world, they land hopelessly on different ends of the living room, left behind as he’s already found his way to the kitchen. There’s a ‘thank you’ post-it note stuck neatly on the fridge, next to the messy, crumpled piece of paper he’d stuck on with tape slightly earlier explaining what was in the lunch-box he had prepared. It’s straight and cleanly written with a nicely drawn heart in the corner and it just makes him smile.

With his cheeks lifted and his spirits even higher, Donghae shoves his phone into his speaker dock and dances lightly around the kitchen to prepare dinner. It’s started raining now, the sound of the droplets falling against the window mixed with his footsteps creating the ideal atmosphere for a good night.

It’s not till he’s in his pajamas, sprawled over the only couch and barely paying any attention to whatever is playing on the TV screen in front of him, that he hears the click of the door. For some reason, a grin automatically forms over his features and he grabs at the remote control, sitting up to switch the TV off. The door opens and the first thing he sees is a pristine suit now soaked by the rain and a vicious shake of terribly messy black hair. Then he sees Hyukjae’s tired, annoyed face and something in his stomach just flips. An odd sort of realisation flushes over him, drowning him from head to toe and he wonders just how many times can he feel like this without it getting old.

Donghae watches with a fond smile as Hyukjae sighs tiredly and takes off his shoes, still placing them tidily on their shoe rack whilst mumbling about how much he hates the rain, then proceeding to his blazer and putting it straight into the wash basket before he even realises that someone else is already in the house. His eyes widen for the shortest of seconds, forming the most adorable of expressions until he spots Donghae and stares at him, surprised.

“Hey?” His voice is pleasant, despite the fact that he’s just had a shower with his stupidly expensive clothes still on. “How come you’re home already?” Hyukjae asks him with a soft smile and Donghae swears he can feel his heart beating so heavy it feels like his chest will give way and rip apart any minute now.

“Early finish.” Donghae shrugs. “Last two clients both cancelled so I just left.”

“It’s nice seeing you home before me for once.” Hyukjae says, flopping down next to him with a familiar kiss of the cheek. He smells like damp rain and Donghae’s favourite cologne, he loves it.

“I made us dinner by the way.” He says, already laughing on the inside. Hyukjae groans at him, totally not thankful in the slightest. “Sweet potato and Tuna with a tonne of veggies.” Donghae tells him cheekily with a poke, fully expecting the disgusted expression he receives and loving it all the more.

“Why I ever got with a personal trainer, I’ll never know.” Hyukjae sighs dramatically, but then he’s giggling and shaking his head. “I know, I know, it’s good for me, I’m sure it’ll be great if you cooked it.”

“Of course it will.”

Hyukjae tells him he’s not yet hungry though and is about to leave to change but something inside makes Donghae stop him. He grabs on to his sleeve and doesn’t let him go, he doesn’t want to let him go just yet. “Tell me about your day.”

“Can’t that wait? I just wanna get-“

He cuts him off with a shake of his head. “You can change later, just sit here with me for a bit.”

Hyukjae rolls his eyes fondly, probably wondering what’s suddenly gotten into his boyfriend again but listens nonetheless. He sits back down, bringing his legs up, warm against Donghae’s side. Donghae listens as Hyukjae tells him about the boss’s new secretary and how he feels bad that everyone doubts her skills, and of the cute new edition to their team that makes the office so much brighter. Hyukjae gets lost in his stories and Donghae gets so lost in staring that at some point he forgets to actually listen. He lays his cheek on his palm and all he can see is Hyukjae. The way he smiles when he recalls something funny that happened in the day, the way he looks at him, the way his heart flutters the same after all these years, it’s all… it’s just amazing.

Donghae feels his smile growing wider and his mood get even better than before. Hyukjae’s not doing anything but simply telling him about his day, his deft fingers hovering over his arm, causing tingles to travel up his skin, and he can only feel his heart hopelessly swell. He’s so far gone, he has been for years, there’s nothing new about that but tonight he feels like shouting it out into the sky. No reason behind it. Hyukjae distractedly shakes his slowly drying hair, making droplets land on his face yet still failing to snap him out of his daze.

Ah, how could he possibly ever deserve someone like Lee Hyukjae? Someone so sweet and clever and hardworking, someone that gives him the cutest of smiles and always understands him. An angel so lovely and brilliant and funny and just- just…

“Are you even listening Lee Donghae?”

“Huh?” Donghae blinks dumbly, and Hyukjae lets out a laugh and shakes his head fondly. He brings his fingers up to softly move some of the hair away from Donghae’s face, then bringing his hand down to his neck and giving him the smallest of kisses. It’s short but sweet, it’s Hyukjae in an essence, and Dongha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter