three

The Guardians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene was home before dark that day, just like how her aunt told her. She was lying on her bed, staring at her ceiling for nothing. Her mind flew to the conversation she heard that afternoon. She did not go to the cafeteria; she turned her body to go somewhere she knew. She felt that she needed to know what was going on; what was the reason why her aunt came to school. She did not remember that she told something to her aunt that made her came to her school—even if there was, Irene would tell her grandfather instead.

And then, a light bulb appeared on Irene’s head, she ran to old building of her school, she did not care if the other students saw her. As she expected, it was locked. She tried to lift the door like Seulgi did before and it did not work before she tried it many times. Irene looked for the crack on the wooden floor. Apparently, her little investigation with Seulgi to find out about Joy that day helped her to discover new thing; that Mrs. Lockwood’s office is just right under the old storage room.

She peeked through the tiny hole on the ground; she only got to see the top of their head. The brunette one was obviously her aunt, and then the other woman was Mrs. Lockwood.

“Everything is completely alright!” Mrs. Lockwood said, she abounded so irritated, “but we don’t know where the location is. Even if we know—“

“Let me take care of that part,” Jessica cut her off. “It must be here; we all know that. But…there’s something else.”

They were not moving at all. But, Irene knew that her headmaster as giving her infamous ‘what-do-you-want’ look that she usually gave to her students—now to her aunt.

“The hound showed up last night,” Jessica started talking. “Not until two hours after it happened.”

There was silence for a few minutes. Irene hitched.

“I think the hound is here…earlier than we thought.” Mrs. Lockwood was whispering, really low until Irene nearly heard nothing.

“What?” Jessica sounded worried.

“Did you see the sky? Two nights before?” The headmaster asked.

“No, what was going on?”

Mrs. Lockwood bended her body a little bit. Seemed like she was whispering something to Irene’s aunt.

“Breakdown?” Jessica answered, half yelling. “Are you certain?”

Mrs. Lockwood nodded her head. “Absolutely certain.” She answered—immediately. “Someone is using the Old Sorcery.”

“Don’t tell me that you think…”

“I have no idea, okay?” Mrs. Lockwood was the one who sounded that she lost her patient already. “It can’t be, but I can’t see it from here. Maybe you should ask the old man for help, I think he has some clues.”

“Clue? Are you out of your mind!? He is the leader of the séance!”

“He’s not as dumb as it seems! Beside, you can’t judge someone from their appearance!”

“Right, but—“

“Now I have my duty as a teacher. I’ll see you tomorrow.”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter