Mr. Mysterious

Pickpocket (Jimin x Y/N)

“Soooo…I guess you’ve had a lot of practice with pickpockets, huh?” Y/N asked, trying to break the tension that had formed. Jimin was just staring at her intently.

“Some. They usually meet my guards before they get to me.” Jimin replied in a soft voice, his attention seemed to be on Y/N, but his eyes were far away with thought.

Y/N fiddled with her hands, no longer sure what she should say. She had never been caught before, let alone sat down with her mark and had polite conversation.

“I’m sure you’re wondering why I brought you in here.” Jimin said suddenly. Y/N nodded, Jimin sighed. “Truthfully I don’t know why. I guess it was the look in your eyes when the lights came on. You looked scared, a little guilty because you got caught, but you also looked...I don’t know...devastated? Like you were desperate for something.” He stared, she waited. “But then again I don’t know you, so you might just be upset that I caught you trying to take my watch.” He tilted his head thoughtfully, “But something tells there is a reason other than greed or pride or entertainment that brought you here. So what is it?”

“What is what?” Y/N was too distracted by the fact that she wasn’t in handcuffs; she was only half paying attention to his words.

“What is your reason for being here tonight?” He leaned back in his chair, ed his suit jacket so he could slouch, and kept his waiting eyes on Y/N.

She considered staying silent, she considered lying, she considered running. But in the end, deciding she had nothing else to really lose, Y/N told the truth.

“My friend is sick. She was diagnosed with cancer last year. Her family is drowning in debt. They’re going to lose their house. She might die.” Y/N kept her sentences short and to the point. She was too afraid of breaking into tears to give a detailed explanation.

Jimin took the information in for a moment before chuckling to himself.

“What?” Y/N snapped, not meaning to sound so harsh, but peeved at the sound of his laughter.

He waved his hand in the air dismissively, “Nothing. What else?”

“What?” Y/N said again, this time less annoyed and more confused.

“You’ve obviously done this before, I barely noticed you take the watch and I’m very good at noticing. So what is the rest of your reason? Other than your friend being sick, which I take as the reason that you are at this particular party, why are you in this position. Why do you know how to be such a good pickpocket?” He leaned forward again, propping his elbows on the desk, his eyes never leaving Y/N’s.

Y/N swallowed harshly, she wished that if he was going to turn her in he would hurry and do it already, because this interrogation on her motivations and reasoning makes her nervous. Park Jimin in general makes her nervous and she doesn’t know why. Sure he’s attractive, but it was something else in the intensity of his gaze that set her on edge.

“I do it to survive. I...haven’t exactly had the best experience with life so far.” Y/N was going to leave it at that, but just as the last word left her lips she looked up into Jimin’s eyes.

Something in the way his warm brown eyes softened as they took in her expression suddenly had Y/N feeling like she wanted to tell him everything. And so she did. She told him about her parents and the accident and her uncle and the gambling and the money and the running away. She told him everything. Even the things she hadn’t said out loud before, like her fear of staying this way, of being alone and hungry for the rest of her life, of never having anyone that will be there to care whether or not she comes home at night.

By the time Y/N faded into silence, her eyes were damp and was raw. There was a moment of reflective silence before she choked out a laugh and scrubbed her face with her gloved arm in an attempt to wipe the tears and embarrassment away. “Sorry, I don’t know where all of that came from. I didn’t mean to let my heart bleed all over your fancy desk.” She tried to joke to brush it all off, but Jimin didn’t laugh.

His eyes never left Y/N as he stood from his chair and circled around the desk to stand beside her. She fought the urge to look up at him, she didn’t want to see the look on his face when he told her that he was going to call the police.

She flinched when Jimin’s hand came into contact with her shoulder and wrapped around her arm, pulling her out of the chair and to her feet. She was preparing to be led away and handed over to security. But, rather than drag her away toward the door, Jimin gently pulled at her arm until she was pressed up against his chest. His arms wrapped around her and he stood there holding her for a long moment that Y/N hoped would never end.

She couldn’t remember the last time she had been hugged and she didn’t think she had ever been held so carefully. She was shocked by his actions and wanted to ask him why he was doing this, but she was quickly becoming addicted to the warmth Jimin provided so she said nothing. She chose instead to wrap her arms around his shoulders and allowed herself to be comforted by the rich stranger.

“You’re kind of an idiot, Y/N. Do you know that?” Jimin said, his soft voice breaking the silence.

Y/N pulled back to stare at him, offended. “What?” She croaked, her voice still raspy from the tears.

Jimin pulled away until he was holding her at half an arm’s length, “You came here to steal jewelry from rich people so you could pay off your friend’s medical bills. But I don’t understand why you came here specifically. Yes, it’s a room full of easy, rich targets, but don’t you know why all of those easy, rich targets are here?”

“It’s some kind of charity event that your dad puts on as an excuse to gather all of the city’s rich people, right?” Y/N replied, still uncertain of where the young millionaire was going with this.

Jimin’s eyes tighten, but his features smooth out a second later, “That’s what some people like to believe.” He released her arms completely and crossed them over his chest. “You’re correct in saying that this is a charity fundraiser, but I’m going to assume you don’t know what specific charity it is associated with.” His eyes drop to the ground and he looks hesitant for the first time that night. “Five years ago my mother passed away. She was diagnosed with a late stage of cancer and she was gone before we even knew what had happened.”

Y/N’s heart dropped and she felt a pang of sympathy shoot through her when she saw the raw pain in Jimin’s eyes. Though, the creeping feeling of sympathy that made her heart feel heavy was nothing compared to the weight that hit her when Jimin spoke next.

“That same year, my father held the first annual ‘Park for the Cure’ Cancer Society Charity Ball. Y/N, you were stealing from people who are donating money for cancer patients who, like your friend, can’t afford treatment.”

Y/N felt her eyes widen, “What?” She breathed the word, not wanting to believe it.

“The society does their best to never turn anyone down, especially locals. You could have simply had your friend fill out an application and she would have received the help she needs. So yes, Y/N, you’re kind of an idiot.” Jimin looked like he wanted to laugh, but there was a pain in his eyes that wouldn’t allow him to do so.

Y/N definitely felt like an idiot. Her eyes stung and she could feel tears building again. She scrubbed at her face, furious that she was crying so much that night. She hated crying. “Oh god.” She muttered, “I’m SUCH an idiot. I always check my marks before I do things like this. Well, not like this. I’ve never done something big like this, but oh my god-” She rambled, unable to verbalize the overwhelming shame she felt.

It was bad enough that she had planned on stealing at all, but to steal from a charity like that...

“Hey, don’t beat yourself up so much. As wrong as your actions were, you had admittedly good intentions.” Jimin spoke up, reaching for her arm as if to comfort her, but stopping himself before his skin came into contact with hers. “Just be grateful that I caught you before you ran off into the night.”

“I am.” Y/N said quickly, grasping onto a handful of Jimin’s sleeve. “I am grateful, and I understand that you have to turn me in.” She stepped closer and looked up into the melted chocolate color of his eyes, “But please, please help me get my friend onto the charity’s list. She needs the money. Now. They’re going to lose their house next week!”

Jimin’s laugh confused her. He reached down and gently pried her fingers from the material of his sleeve. Keeping his hold on her hand, he said, “I’ll help you get your friend onto the list.”

“Y-You will?” Y/N couldn’t believe her ears.

Jimin nodded cutely and confirmed his statement with a “mhmm”. Y/N’s shoulders sagged in relief. Suddenly, Jimin released her hand and went back to sit in his chair. He pulled out a laptop and immediately began to tap away at the keys.

“Oh, and I’m not going to turn you in.”

“WHAT?” Y/N didn’t believe her ears. She had spun to face the apparently crazed boy and was staring at him with owl eyes.

He glanced up from his laptop to briefly meet her gaze with a smirk. “I said, I’m not going to turn you in.”

Y/N rushed to sit in the chair across from him and placed her hands against the sleek wood desk in order to steady herself. She thought she might faint. “B-But why?” She asked. “I mean, don’t think I’m not grateful, I am. Really. Like, so incredibly grateful, you don’t understand. But why?”

“Because I feel bad for you.” He replied simply. He also mumbled something under his breath, but Y/N was unable to make out the whispered words.

“Alright, it’s all done.” He said, ceasing the tapping on his keys.

“What’s done?”

“Your friend is all signed up for the charity. I placed priority on her case. She should be receiving a call in the next 24 hours.” Jimin said as he closed the computer with a tidy click.

“How did you sign her up? Don’t you need her information or something?” Y/N countered, thoroughly overwhelmed and confused.

“Oh, I found her data. There are a few holes in the form, but those can be settled over the phone.”

“Okay, I’m starting to feel like a broken record, but how?”

Jimin smirked, his eyes lighting up with a mischievous humor. “Oh, I looked you up using this.” He held up a very familiar looking card. Your ID. “I used your information to look into the foster home where you stayed. Using that database I looked up the name ‘Carmine’. There were two entries, but only one was there at the same time you were.” He paused and looked a little embarrassed, “It’s not entirely legal, but it’s for a good cause, right?”

Y/N sat there, entirely flabbergasted. ‘What the hell’ she thought, staring at the boy in front of her that was suddenly 10x more mysterious.

Suddenly she thought back to the ID and patted at the thin, hidden pocket in her dress that had held her ID card and the few dollars she had brought for a cab. The money remained, but the card had somehow ended up in his hands.

“You can pick pockets?” She nearly screeched, eyeing the card in his hand.

He shrugged. “It’s easier to notice the signs of a pickpocket when you know how it works. I’m not very good at it, but I figured that you were too preoccupied to notice.”

“So, you can pick pockets, hack into a federal database, and you’re a millionaire. Is there anything else I should know about you, Mr. Mysterious Park Jimin?” Y/N questioned, moving past her shock and into curiosity.

“Not at the moment...though maybe one day.” And then Park Jimin, the very mysterious and very rich Park Jimin, winked at her.

Y/N thought her eyes were going to pop out of her head, but just as she was about to voice her many, many questions, there was a tiny knock at the door.

A soft, hesitant voice called, “Um, M-Mr. Park sir, your father is looking for you.”

Jimin sighed and slumped back into his chair, “Alright, Josie, thank you for letting me know. Please tell my father that I will be out in a moment.”

Y/N turned to Jimin and raised a brow.

He met her eyes and sighed again. A second later he was standing and walking toward Y/N. He took hold of her arm and pulled her out of the chair. He dragged her along with him as he began to walk.

“I forgot to mention. There are two tiny little favors I need from you in exchange for not calling the cops and helping your friend.”

“Anything.” Y/N replied immediately.

Jimin smiled cheekily, his eyes disappearing into happy crescents. “Wonderful. One, I need you to pretend to be my date for the rest of the night.”

Y/N nearly tripped over her own feet, “What?”

Jimin was grinning now. “Yup! My dad is always bugging me about not having a girlfriend and he uses these parties to try and set me up with all of these rich girls. But, oh my god they are SO BORING. And they giggle at everything I say just because I’m rich, it’s sickening. So, the solution? I bring my own lovely girlfriend and never have to talk to them again.” He said cheekily.

“Uh, Jimin I don’t know if I-” Y/N begins to protest.

“And then two,” he interrupts, “I want to take you to dinner.”

Protests were on the tip of her tongue, ready to talk her way out of the ridiculous proposition, but it was too late. Heavy doors were being pushed open and then suddenly Y/N and Jimin were surrounded by the noise of party goers who were starting to get a little too tipsy from the champagne. The eyes that immediately started to follow Jimin as he entered the room kept Y/N silent as he led her through the fray.

Y/N stuck close to Jimin’s side for the remainder of the night, slipping easily into the role of a millionaire’s girlfriend like it was another one of her covers. Though, as she spent more time with her hand in Jimin’s, watching him laugh and schmooze his way through the night, Y/N wondered if it would be too cliché for a thief to fall for her millionaire mark.

A/N *I'm sorry if this ending is a little unsatisfying. To tell the truth, I actually wrote the first part of the story over six months ago and never intended on finishing it, but then I was inspired to rewrite it for Jimin, but I had no idea how I wanted to end it. So?? I might make a drabble one day about their dinner date, but we'll see ;)*