The Uncertainties of Youth

The Uncertainties of Youth
The clouds covering the vast blue skies had never looked so puffy and light, a reminiscence of those huge cotton candy sold at fun fairs. But it also looks like whipped cream piled over a big bowl of ice cream sundae.
 
And Henry cannot decide between the two.
 
With his arms folded under his head and a leg propped over the other knee, he lies on the grass on the side of the small hill behind his house, appreciating the peace and quiet of the wonderful summer afternoon.
 
He closes his eyes and lets his skin soak in the last of summer’s sunshine before going off to college in another two weeks. It is his first time away from home, from his family and friends, and he is excited about it.  But not for the reasons people expect.
 
“Excited about meeting new people, and maybe scoring a girlfriend to bring back home?” His uncle over dinner one day and with his family expecting his answer, he merely laughed it off and managed to steer the conversation away.
 
But truth to be told, the only reason he is looking forward to college is the distance from his family. Particularly from his father. And the only person who knows about it is his best friend.
 
Who so happens to cast a shadow over his face and he cracks open an eye to find her peering down at him with the ends of her short blond hair billowing in the cool wind.
 
Short blond hair?
 
“Your hair is blond!” Their heads almost collide when he sits up in shock. “What- wh- how did it get blond?”
 
Her cocked eyebrow tells him that it was a stupid question, and he knows it too.
 
“I went to the salon,” she deadpans. “For a 4.0 student, soon to be studying at an Ivy League college, you seem pretty dumb to me.”
 
“What did you parents say?”
 
“Who cares about what they think? They don’t care what I think.” She plops down next to him and looks over her shoulder, flicking her imaginary long hair. “What do you say?”
 
“Amber, you’re nuts,” he mutters, still unable to accept that his friend of ten years, who he has grown used to seeing with black hair, is now blond. The girl who was never concerned with frivolous, girly things now sports a cool short blond cut with complementing make up.
 
She has always been pretty to him (“you’re just saying that because you’re my friend,” she brushes him off) but now she just looks more polished, and well, grown up. No longer the girl living at the house down the street, but a college bound adult starting a new phase in life soon.
 
“I already know that,” Amber laughs, her eyes encouraging him to continue.
 
With pursed lips he takes a moment to look her over which is unnecessary since he already has his answer. “You look great, as always.” And she went into her usual denying but he did spot a satisfied smile in between her hitting him and ruffling her hair.
 
His best friend’s smile seems to dissolve his earlier troubles. Although he wants to have some time alone, he would gladly welcome her presence at any moment. Being a chatterbox, he can just listen to her talk and leave his worries behind, even though he ends up listening to all sorts of random ideas, including that one time she suggested them to cross dress for prom.
 
Henry admires her free spirit, maybe even jealous that she has no fear. Like him, she is moving away for college. But unlike him, she is going against her parents’ wishes of  her pursuing medicine and will be starting freshman year at a music college in Boston, which he had also secretly applied and successfully accepted into the college.
 
However, it is a decision that he regrets. Why get your hopes up and not follow through them?  He loaths himself for not being able to be like her, to pursue what he would rather do than follow others’ wishes.
 
“So what’s today’s reason for hanging out here?” Amber hooks an arm through his and falls back and they land with a soft thud on the grass. She already knows that he has something on his mind when she saw him walk out his backyard from her window.
 
“The usual. My dad,” he stops. Even though he says nothing more, she waits for him to continue, her other hand pulling at the grass. He usually does.
 
“He’s going on about the plans that he has laid out for me,” he sighs. “That I’ll take an economics degree then continue with master’s while he gets me an intern position at a friend’s company. There’s more but I don’t want to bore you, suffice to say, the only thing I’m surprised he hasn’t yet plan out is my future wife.” He rolls his eyes, and she pats his arm in understanding.
 
“No one else is right but him. Your opinions don’t mean anything if it doesn’t match his views. There’s nothing that he doesn’t know,” his voice drips with sarcasm.
 
Amber shifts onto her side and studies him. He seems to be a little sadder these days and she thinks the frown has found a permanent place on his forehead. She reaches out, using her thumb and index finger, and relaxes the tense muscles in the space between his eyebrows.
 
“You’re the model child that every parent wants. You study well, play the violin and piano, fluent in several languages,” she pauses to think and adds, “you’re a competent equestrian and fencer, and you can cook.”
 
She points to herself. “Unlike me, who’s out to break everything that my parents set out for me to do. Can you imagine me as a doctor?”
 
“I’d rather risk dying and wait for the next available doctor,” he jokes, earning a whack on his stomach, knocking the breath out of him.
 
“Anyways, as I was saying,” Amber eyes him from the corner of her eyes. “You’ve never gone against your parents’ will. Yeah, you may not like it and bombard me with your complains, but in the end, you’ll still do as they say. All because you don’t want to disappoint their expectations of their first born.”
 
“You might think that I’m hypocrite for saying this, but I’d say explore all opportunities. If you don’t want to disappoint them, seeing how you’ve already accepted the college offer that’s not even your first choice, just study what they want you to. At the same time, study want you’re actually interested in, you know,” she touches his arm to make sure she hasn’t lost him, “It would be tough but I think it’s worth compromising this way.”
 
As if she can read his mind, she adds, “If you’re wondering why I’m not taking my own advice it’s because I’m not like you. I’m not cut out for studying, let alone medical school. My parents say I’ll struggle after graduating, and their concerns are understandable and real but I’ll be responsible for my own decisions. I know what I’m getting into. My motto is you only live once so why live the life of someone else’s instead of yours.”
 
Henry nods absentmindedly as he stares at the clouds moving away with the wind, and wishes for the day of moving out to come sooner, to bring him away from the suffocation at home. He takes a deep breath that fills his lungs to their extent and exhales, releasing the pent up stress bottled up in him.
 
“Hey, you know what?” He nudges her side. “I think you’d be a great psychologist. You’re a great listener and your patience is unbelievable.”
 
“I’m only a great listener for you. If it was any other person, I’d tell them to get out of my face and dump their problems elsewhere.” She grins, and squeezes his hand. “Just know that my ear is always open for you.”
 
Henry returns the gesture and watches her get to her feet. “My job here is done,” she says.
 
“Do you have something up?” he asks, gesturing at her being all made up and pretty.  
 
“Yeah, I’m meeting James,” she dusts her and pauses at the snicker coming from him.
 
“That guy on the next block who’s a sophomore at Berklee?”
 
“He’s leaving tomorrow so he asked me out for movies later.”
 
He whistles, “Someone’s got a date.” And he notices the blush that crept up on her even though she tries to play it cool.
 
“Maybe he just wants some company,” she simply shrugs, her voice a few notches higher.
 
“Sure,” he returns the shrug with lips upturned in amusement. He lies back on the grass, his eyes following her as she makes the way back home and begins his childish play.
 
“Amber and James sitting on the tree. K-I-S--”
 
“Shut up!” She turns back, eyes ablaze and looks over her shoulder, afraid that someone might overhear. Amber presses a finger to her lips and Henry just chuckles and pulls an imaginary zipper across his lips. With a last distrustful glare, she turns back towards her house.
 
He waits until she reaches the top of the hill and starts again. “K-I-S-S-I-N-G!”
 
Amber holds up a middle finger and he knows he will miss teasing her when college comes around.