Countdown

Countdown

Countdown

12 hours until Midnight…

            “They said that the person you stand next to at midnight is the one you’ll be with for the next year,” a man voiced out as he drank his share of water.

            The short brown haired man shook his head.  “Well, we don’t have much of a choice who we’re with next year,” he responded.

            The rest of the men chuckled.  “You got that right Sungmin,” the same man said.  “I can’t believe they’re not releasing us for the New Year.”

            Sungmin shrugged.  “We were let out for Christmas and that was more than enough,” he muttered, treasuring the time he had had with his boyfriend. 

            “I guess you’re right,” another man said as the rest nodded in agreement.

            The men continued their meal, all sad about the fact that they couldn’t be home with their families.  But they knew this was their job.  They needed to be here to fight for their country.

^^^^^^^^^^

11 hours until Midnight…

            “Yah, Kyuhyun,” the leader said, tapping him on the forehead.  “Did you buy his present yet?”

            Kyuhyun stuffed his face into his hands and groaned.  “I don’t even know what to get him at this point,” he muttered.  “It’s not like I can give him anything fancy since he’s still in the army.”

            “Just send him a card then,” Leeteuk said, handing the maknae his box of food.

            “I can’t send him a stupid card,” he complained, biting into his lunch.  “It needs to be meaningful.  After all, it’s his birthday too.  I just can’t come with anything special.”

            Leeteuk shrugged.  “Well, you still have a couple of hours.  But remember that you only have until five before the army base closes for the night,” he muttered.

            “I know,” Kyuhyun said, groaning out loud as he, once again, stuffed his face into his hands.

^^^^^^^^^^

10 hours until Midnight…

            Sungmin glanced at his watch again.  He was excited for three reasons. 

One, Kyuhyun would be sending him something. 

Two, it was his birthday.

Three, he got free food later.

^^^^^^^^^^

9 hours until Midnight…

            “You’re cutting it pretty close Kyuhyun,” Yesung said as he handed Kyuhyun yet another random present.  “It takes an hour to get to the base, you know?”

            “Don’t remind me hyung,” Kyuhyun responded, throwing the gift back at him.  “Why did I even ask for your help?”

            Yesung faced him with a turtle mask on his face.  “Kyu, even I don’t know the answer to that question,” he said.  “So, how about this?”

            The maknae rolled his eyes before pushing on Yesung’s face, knocking him down to the ground.

^^^^^^^^^^

8 hours until Midnight…

            “Honestly,” Kyuhyun yelled out, slamming his hands onto the wheel.

            He had been stuck in traffic for a couple of minutes now and the fact that the clock in his car was counting down to five o’clock didn’t help at all.  He ran his fingers through his hair.  “I should have done this long before,” he muttered to himself before honking his horn once again.

^^^^^^^^^^

7 hours and 30 minutes until Midnight…

            Kyuhyun screamed in frustration, gift in hand.  He was thirty minutes late!  Thirty minutes late!  He looked at the closed down office and was tempted to break in by throwing his present through the window.  “Shoot,” he said, collapsing onto his knees.

^^^^^^^^^^

6 hours until Midnight…

            “Eunhyuk,” Sungmin yelled out, running to the younger.

            Eunhyuk opened his arms and the two hugged each other tight.  “I haven’t seen you since Christmas hyung,” he said.

            “I know,” he responded, letting him go.  “Did Donghae get you something?”

            A light blush fell on the younger’s cheeks as he showed him a little rubber bracelet with their initials.  “It’s not much, but I’m very happy he sent me something for the New Year.”  Eunhyuk looked up from his present.  “How about you hyung?  Did our maknae get you something for your birthday?”

            Sungmin shrugged.  “He didn’t,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck.  “Though I don’t mind.  Maybe it got lost in the mail or something too.  I guess I’ll just have to wait.”

            “Don’t be down hyung,” Eunhyuk said, tapping his nose.  “You know he wouldn’t do it on purpose.”

            Sungmin looked up and smiled at him.

^^^^^^^^^^

5 hours until Midnight…

            “You guys have worked hard,” Leeteuk said, toasting everyone around the table.  “Let’s have another great year!”

            Everyone downed their glasses.  “Do you guys think Kyuhyun made it,” Ryeowook asked. 

            “He managed to leave on time,” Yesung said.  “But he’s pretty late coming home to dinner.”

^^^^^^^^^^

4 hours until Midnight…

            “Happy birthday to you,” Eunhyuk sang, ending the song.

            The rest of the crowd had chipped in to buy Sungmin a small cake and he couldn’t help but smile widely.  At least he was surrounded by people who cared about him.  “Thank you,” he muttered.

            “Make a wish,” Shindong yelled out.

            Sungmin closed his eyes and blew the candles.

^^^^^^^^^^

3 hours until Midnight…

            “Kyuhyun didn’t make it,” Yesung muttered, hanging up the phone.  The members had gotten worried since it was already nine at night and the maknae still hadn’t made it home.  “But, he said we should come over and pick him up.  His car broke down.”

            “He should have called us earlier,” Leeteuk said, slightly panicked.  “Let’s go guys!”  He The rest of the members rushed out and stuffed themselves into Leeteuk’s car.

^^^^^^^^^^

2 hours until Midnight…

            Sungmin sat and bickered with Shindong and Eunhyuk.  He smiled every once in a while, but he couldn’t help the sad feeling that crept its way in.  He missed his boyfriend desperately and the only thing he wanted for his birthday was to hold him tight.

^^^^^^^^^^

1 hours until Midnight…

            “God you’re an idiot,” Leeteuk said, slapping Kyuhyun on his back.  “You could have just told us earlier.”

            Kyuhyun pouted at his hyungs.  “But then it wouldn’t be a surprise.”

^^^^^^^^^^

15 minutes until Midnight…

            “Sungmin, you got a phone call,” a higher up called out.

            “I’ll be back guys,” he said, patting his two friends on the back before running over.  He grabbed the phone and pulled it close to his ears.  “Hello?”

            “Hey sweetheart,” the ever familiar voice said through the phone.

            Sungmin smiled.

^^^^^^^^^^

1 minute until Midnight…

            Sungmin had hung up the phone a while ago and he had joined in with the rest to stare at the clock and count down.  “Excited for this,” Eunhyuk asked.

            “Always,” he responded.

^^^^^^^^^^

30 seconds until Midnight…

            The members ran through the crowd, trying to find their beloved member.  Once they spotted him, they lifted him up in the air in a tight hug.  “Hyungs,” Sungmin squealed out. “You guys are here!”

            “Of course we are,” Leeteuk said as they set him down.

            10!

            9!

            “Kyuhyun too,” he asked, looking for his boyfriend.  If this was real, he wanted his boyfriend beside him.

            8!

            7!

            6!

            5!

            4!

            3!

            2!

            Arms circled around his waist and he was pulled into a tight back hug. 

            1!

            “Happy New Year Sungmin,” the maknae whispered into his ear.

            Sungmin turned around and encircled his hands around the other’s neck.  “You came,” he said, the smile on his face was blinding.

            “Of course I did,” Kyuhyun said, reaching over to gently brush his cheeks.  “You know what they say.  The person you stand next to at midnight is the one—“

            “You end up with next year,” Sungmin said, finishing the younger’s sentence.

            The maknae frowned.  “Hyung, how—,” Kyuhyun started, but was cut off by a pair of lips that smashed into his. 

            The two smiled into the kiss before slowly pulling away.  “Best.  Birthday.  Ever,” Sungmin breathed out.

            Kyuhyun shook his head.  “Oops, not yet,” he said, reaching for his hand.  Sungmin’s eyes widened as he watched Kyuhyun slip on a plain silver ring.  “I’m not here to propose to you.  At least, not yet.”  He winked, causing the older to blush slightly.  “But I’m here to make you a promise that you’re for me and only for me.  Is that alright with you?”

            “Of course,” Sungmin said, pulling him tight. 

            “Happy birthday Sungmin,” he whispered.

            The crowd cheered around them and the two blushed, forgetting where they were.  They hid against each other, hoping that everybody would calm down.  But you know what?  It didn’t matter.  Because in that crowd of people, they were the happiest of them all.

^^^^^^^^^^

A/N:  I’m cringing at the cheesiness and the fluff.  However, I hope that you all still enjoyed it!

I’m sorry it’s a bit rushed, but I’m about to go to dinner and I don’t want this to be late.

Well, thank you all for such a wonderful year!  Please take care of me next year too!

So, to end this off…

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

AND A HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUNGMIN!!