Final

Sweet Words

“What are you doing here?” I asked; eyes wide in surprise.

I looked at Jinhwan from head to toe. It was still 8 in the morning and he dressed properly today. He wore neat white shirt with a pair of jeans instead of t-shirt and black jacket he usually wears. And unlike his typical messy black hair, his hair was styled up nicely. I could confidently say he put a lot of effort for his appearance today and that made me suspicious. Why would he dress up like this?

I don’t remember having any plans to hang out with him nor did he inform me he would come to my house. Even if we made plan beforehand, I knew he wouldn’t try too hard for his looks. Ha! I remembered he only wore jeans and t-shirt to attend his uncle’s wedding. So, it only meant it was very special occasion that he dressed like that. But what’s the occasion?

Jinhwan gave me his smile before taking off his shoes and entered my house as if it’s his own; unnecessarily asking for my permission. I almost scold him for doing so but I decided not to. It’s Jinhwan anyway. I guess he’s taking my mother’s words well since she always told him how he should think our house as his too.

Still surprised, I closed the door behind me and followed him to the living room.

“Let me ask you again. What are you doing here? We don’t have any plans today,” I repeated, trailing behind him.

Shrugging, Jinhwan asked instead “Is your father home?”

Why did he ask about my father?

“There’s nothing to do here, let’s just go out somewhere if you want to.” I suggested, changing the subject, but Jinhwan rejected my idea.

“Sorry Lady, I came here not for you. I came to talk to your father,” he answered nonchalantly. His facial expression was so calm. It was like him talking to my father was a normal thing to do but it wasn’t.

My father isn’t someone easy to meet up with. He is an awesome policeman who is super busy catching criminals and rarely stays at home. Whenever Jinhwan comes to visit, he only meets my mother and my sisters. So I was certain that he never met my father before which make me come to conclusion that my father had no plans on meeting him; it was solely his own initiative.

Bewildered I said to him a yes and led him to the room where my family usually gathered.

Questions began to make a pool inside my head during our quick walk. I still couldn’t guess what kind of conversation Jinhwan was going to do with my father. Did he forget what kind of person my father was? I thought I already informed him about that. Most of my friends who ever met my father, which is probably no more than 3, said they didn’t want to meet him again. They said my father isn’t a good words exchange partner and also that something about my father is intimidating them.

I couldn’t agree more with my poor friends.

My father was watching TV leisurely on the couch with a cup of coffee on the table before him. I escorted Jinhwan near the couch and my father noticed us. I smiled to my father and notified him about the boy standing beside me.

“Dad, this is Jinhwan, my closest friend from high school and he said he has something to tell you so…” I trailed off in the end of the sentence, unsure about the next words I should say. But my father understood it fast and he smiled at Jinhwan.

Please take a note that my father’s smile isn’t really friendly either.

“Talk to me? Sit here then Jinhwan,” he patted the space next to him.

I turned to Jinhwan and found him bowed with a smile before going to sit next to my father. I decided to leave them like that and went to the kitchen; attempting to make something to drink for Jinhwan.

“Who’s coming?” my older sister, Hyejin, asked as she took out an apple from the fridge.

Grabbing one of the glass in the shelves, I answered her “It’s Jinhwan.”

Now, what should I make for him?

“Oh my in-law! What’s he doing here? Why don’t you accompany him then?” she asked again with full.

Shaking my head at her, I chose to make a coffee. “Swallow first, Unnie,” I advised. “And first, he’s not your in-law. Please, we aren’t married. Second, I also don’t know what he was doing here. Third, he doesn’t want to meet me, he wished to meet Dad instead,” I answered her question one by one.

“Dad?” Hyejin unnie inquired in disbelief. I nodded shortly.

Now that the cup was done, I went to deliver it; leaving Hyejin unnie mumbling the words ‘why he wanted to meet dad’, asking no one in particularly but herself.

I thought they already went into further topic since I left around 5 minutes ago but turned out that Jinhwan just started to introduce himself. See, my father isn’t a good words exchange partner. What did they do this past 5 minutes then?

I set my interest aside and put the cup on the table without saying anything and just left. My presence obviously would be undesirable judging from the way they got strangely quiet when I came. I saw from the corner of my eyes Jinhwan glanced at me for a moment before turning back to my father.

“Hey Hyejung! Want to do something fun?” Hyejin unnie asked when I got back to the kitchen.

I only raised a brow; Hyejin unnie’s definition of fun is usually not too normal.

“Let’s eavesdrop,” she suggested with a grin.

I immediately refused. Dad wouldn’t be pleased if he found out. But unnie kept on persuading me, reasoning that I must be curious to why Jinhwan wanted to talk with Dad as much as her. Eventually after some sweet words, she won over me and we both made our way to the wall closest to them.

I kneeled down as I pressed my ear to the wall. Hyejin unnie did just the same as she was standing instead, making herself comfortable behind me.

“So, you’re my daughter’s best friend?” I heard my father asked. No sounds came from Jinhwan so I assumed he only nodded his head as the response.

“What do you want to talk with me?” my father went straight to the point. I imagined him eyeing Jinhwan intently behind his thick glasses.

“I want to ask for permission, Mr. Ahn.” I heard him politely answered.

“Permission for what?” Hyejin unnie whispered behind me. I turned to the person who was voicing out my thought and I shrugged shortly; I clearly had no idea as well.

I stretched my head a little and peeked a bit. Too bad Jinhwan was back facing me. But I saw Jinhwan was sitting with his back straight. I could tell he was really nervous and from the way he was sitting, I knew he respected the person he was having talk with.

“I want to ask permission to date your daughter,” he continued his words. My mouth gasped in instant; eyes wide.

I quickly jerked back my head and met eyes with my sister who also had her eyes opened wide. But soon her shocked expression replaced with teasing one. She smiled broadly as she poked my arms countless times, muttering the words ‘see he likes you’ along with each poke.

I couldn’t believe what I just heard. Jinhwan didn’t just ask my father whether it was okay to date me. But he acted nothing close to it as if he likes me all this time. I thought we were just best-friends, nothing more. I thought my feeling was unrequited. I thought I was the only one feeling like this. So it was mutual actually?

I and Jinhwan had known each other for quite long time, in fact went to the same middle school and we even were classmates. But we never talked to each other. I just knew his name and he knew my name. It’s just up to that. Then we both found out that we were accepted in the same high school. Being known no one but ourselves, we got closer and became good friends ever since. Until this year, our senior year in college, our bond had gotten stronger than ever.

---

My heart pounded inside my chest, hard. I barely could feel or hear anything. My sense numbed that Hyejin unnie’s constant pokes had no effect on me. My ears only filled with the sound of my own heartbeat. My mind only focused to understand everything, the situation.

“How long have you two been dating?” my father asked. What? No Dad. We aren’t dating (yet)!

“We aren’t dating, Sir,” he clarified. “But hopefully soon,” he added.

I couldn’t help but to smile upon hearing his words. It really woke the dormant butterflies inside my stomach up. He made my already fluttered heart fluttered all over again. But my fantasy suddenly interrupted when another round of pokes visited my side.

I turned to my sister with disappointed look, “Ssshhh….” I warned her but she only giggled. Ignoring her, I concentrated back to the spying mission.

“Do you really like her?” Another question for Jinhwan.

Up to this point, I began to think that my father would interview him non stop until he’s satisfied. And this Mr. Ahn, a father of mine, isn’t someone who easy to please. I sighed, understanding what kind of burden Jinhwan had. Please be easy Dad, it isn’t like he asked to marry me. And, Jinhwan, take care..

When I thought I had enough of cheesy words already, Jinhwan proved it to be wrong, “No Sir. I love her.”

Series of ‘aww’s came out again from behind. I turned around, surprised, because there was someone else’s voice beside Hyejin’s.

“What are you doing?” I asked Hyeri, my younger sister suspiciously, who suddenly joined our 2-women alliance. It was not like I hate her presence but it just that spying with too much people would ruin everything.

Hyeri smiled innocently, “My sisters look like they re having good time so why don’t I have some as well?” I scoffed at her unbelievable reason but didn’t ask further. There was no point in it anyway.

Now we all three, Mr. Ahn’s beautiful (cough) daughters, had gathered together. We looked like we were in the middle of filming Charlie’s Angels. I suddenly felt like I had special mission to accomplish for real.

“What do you love about her?” Oh, how I wish my father would stop. As I said, Jinhwan just asked whether it’s okay to date me, not to marry me. But he kept exaggerating things.

“Everything,” Jinhwan simply answered. Another ‘awwws’ from my sisters which I quickly shushed off but I smiled nonetheless.

I decided to take a peek again carefully. Jinhwan was at the same position as before. My father looked more relaxed but his gaze was no joke. It was more serious than ever. I almost thought that my father looked like he was in the middle of interrogating some criminals.

“Mmmm….” My father mumbled. “Looking at you Jinhwan, I think my youngest daughter, Hyeri, will suit you more. She is also pretty,” my father suggested out of the blue.

I gasped in disbelief at my father’s idea. Did he just try to pair Jinhwan and Hyeri? I turned my head and glared at Hyeri who was holding her laughter. She then fanned herself arrogantly while stuck her tongue out at me. You must be enjoyed it so much, right Hyeri?

Jinhwan stifled a laugh in response. “I love her because she is Hyejung, not because of her face. No matter what, she will be the most beautiful to me. It’s her personality that drew me in, Sir.”

I lost count on how many Jinhwan escalated my heartbeat today. He was far beyond sweet and it was unhealthy for the weak me; I even think I might get diabetes from it.

I never imagined things like those to come out from any guy, especially not from Jinhwan. Heck, I even pushed down any imagination of dating him since I thought we were only friends and that wouldn’t change. So this was really surprising, as if snow falls during summer. Miracle was needed in order to make it happen.

Good thing I was kneeling that time since even when I kneeled down, I felt my legs getting weak and wobbly. All thanks to Jinhwan and his harmful sweet words.

“Describe to me what love you have for my daughter,” he demanded again.

I once again sincerely wished my father would stop. If I were him, I would say yes already. Please Dad, he isn’t criminal for you to arrest! But different person, it means different case as well.

“I think we both agree that love itself is unexplainable, Sir. It just exactly the same love Mr. Ahn has for Mrs. Ahn.”

Placing my hand to my heart, I looked at my two siblings. “Unnie,” I whined dramatically.

What did I do that I deserve such a sweetheart like him? I guessed I must be a hero during my past life or I was just simply a super duper extremely lucky girl.

“Are you going to marry her later on?” I gaped at my father’s next question. Now I think he had gone overboard. Why would he bring up some serious and heavy topic as marriage? Even if we date, it’ll be still long way to go before we reach that stage.

“I can’t guarantee you that Sir,” he responded.

My father raised his voice, clearly displeased with Jinhwan’s answer, “Why? Is dating just a joke to you?” I pressed my ears closer. Truthfully I was quite disappointed as well. Did I hope Jinhwan would say yes into marrying me? Well, I’d be lying if I didn’t.

“Not like that, Sir. If you asked me, I’m willing to marry her in the future. But in marriage, not only my opinion that matters, its Hyejung’s too. I can guarantee that my heart won’t change and I’ll work hard to prepare but if in the half way she changes her mind and says no, then I’ll respect her decision,” he answered smoothly as if he was already prepared them beforehand; like it was scripted.

I really couldn’t believe those words flowed through his mouth. It was too good to be true.

“Don’t you fight for her?” my father fired back, not giving in.

“I’ll make sure to try my best to win her again before I agree to the separation,” he argued.

“I feel like he’s proposing you, Hye number two,” my older sister whispered to my ear. I laughed at her nickname for me but I nodded in agreement at her.

“Ahn Hyejung! Come out now! I know you were listening all this time,” My eyes widened in fear as at my father’s shout. He knew? I was sure it only meant one thing: big troubles.

I looked at my two sisters behind me in panic and they were just as flustered as I was. We all froze in our spot but Hyejin unnie was the first one to recover from the shock.

“Go! Dad is looking for you. Bye Hye number 2…” she pushed me clumsily from our hide out before leaving like nothing happened. “Yeah, that’s right unnie. Bye…” Soon, Hyeri followed Hyejin.

I looked at them in astonishment. Did they just leave? I couldn’t believe they betrayed me like this. I thought Charlie’s Angels are supposed to stick together no matter what and also protect each other. Charlie’s Angels aren’t self-centered, right?

You failed me Hye number one and number three. Don’t ever come near me again..

Turning to the two men, I sheepishly smiled; scratching the back of my head. Jinhwan had his eyes large at the sight of me. His eyes were asking like ‘you were there?’ I nodded in confirmation and I heard his heavy sigh as he face-palmed himself. Yes, he was embarrassed.

My father suddenly slung his arm over Jinhwan’s shoulder and whispered something. I noticed the change in Jinhwan’s expression but then he nodded; earning few pats from my father.

“ him to front. We already talked.” He commanded. I quickly nodded and took Jinhwan’s arm. I didn’t want to get scolded when he already found out about me spying and I wanted to get out from the same room as him quickly.

I immediately let go of his arms once we were out from my father’s eyes. I coughed awkwardly as we went to the front gate. We talked nothing until I opened the gate for him and he walked through. He then turned to me for the last time before leaving.

“So, you heard it all?” he cautiously asked. I smiled and nodded at him.

He blew some air through his mouth. “You weren’t supposed to hear that but, I guess that can’t be helped,” he shrugged it off coolly, like it was no biggie for him.

Ha! Don’t act cool. I knew you’re dead embarrassed, shortie.

I laughed at his comment. “Well, who told you to come here early in the morning and dressed nicely, Mr. Kim? Don’t blame me for my curiosity,” I protested, only earning his signature smile.

 “You like it right? My words?” he beamed which was extremely cute. I almost lost myself at that. My heart beat like crazy just because of his simple beam.

“Why did you never hint me? Like show some signs that you like me?” I shamelessly asked. I really wanted to know about that. He could show affection or whatsoever right?

He laughed lightly. “For what? So you can get to confirm that your love isn’t one-sided?” he said mockingly.

I huffed at his arrogant response. I didn’t want to admit even I knew he got me right there. “Who said I have love for you?”

“Please Ahn Hyeujung. You are too obvious!” he pointed out with a smirk across his face.

I was quite taken aback with his remark. “Really?” Was I that obvious?

This time, he laughed hard, very hard. “See? I got you!” he joked.

I flinched, realizing my stupid mistakes. I wasn’t supposed to say that. I should have played along instead. You’re so stupid.

Jinhwan suddenly leaned forward on the gate, “What do you think about it Hyejung?”

I eyed him suspiciously, “About what?” His face was showing that he was up to something. I could see it as clear as the day.s

 “Aren’t you going to give my hard work reward or something? It’s all for you though, Mrs. Kim” he defended. What did he just call me? Mrs. Kim?

“It’s still Ms. Ahn, Jinhwan.”

If you thought it was me, then you’re wrong. A sudden loud voice surprised both of us. We ly to found out my father had his arms crossed in front of his chest as he leaned on the door frame. And he didn’t look amused. I spun around to face Jinhwan again. And he was stunned.

“Ah yes, Sir. I’m sorry.” He quickly apologized for his behave. I laughed mentally at his sudden clumsiness. Jinhwan got knocked down by my father again. You can get me Jinhwan, but not my father, I thought to myself.

“I guess I’ll leave now then. See you tomorrow Hyejung,” he said to me. Jinhwan looked behind me and he bowed, “Good morning Mr. Ahn,” he finalized before taking his leave.

Once he was gone, I angrily looked at my father. “Don’t be too harsh Dad!” But my father said nothing and just motioned me to come inside.

Suddenly I remembered that there’s something I wanted to ask Jinhwan but I forgot it. So I decided to ask my dad instead.

“Dad, what did you whisper to Jinhwan earlier?” I interrogated as he closed the door house behind us.

He shrugged. “Nothing much. It’s just that if I ever find you cry because of him, I’ll make sure no one can recognize his face anymore.”

So, that was why he looked terrified when he saw my father again. 

 

--- 

How was it? I hope you enjoyed^^ Feel free to comments!

Anyway, happy new year everyone!~

Let's keep supporting iKON!