I

Winter, Snowflakes and You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A.n: I edited some parts :)

 

 

Sometimes, I can't help but worry that anyone of the random strangers I meet might be my soulmate, and I'm missing our only chance to ever meet.

-Deep Dark Fears Series

 

 

 

The drizzling white snow that evening made him crane up his head. He reached out his right hand just to catch some snowflakes. Then, he smiled weakly and brushed off the flakes from his hands. The cold made him rub his hands together, blowing some warm air to those hands. I observed him. He was effortlessly stunning with his winter coat, shawl, and jeans. Meanwhile, here I was, wearing a suit after a meeting. His brunette hair was on point and the snowflakes on his head made him look like a snow angel. Now, he’s taking something from his winter coat; a phone. Out of curiosity, I slowly came near him and stood behind him.

I didn’t know whether he’s sad, confused, or annoyed, but one thing for sure, his face said that he’s not happy. He’s now taking his left hand to his phone and put two thumbs over the screen. Looking from behind, I knew he was writing a message, deleting, writing again, and deleting again. It seemed like he didn’t find the right things to write, so he frantically pressed an icon which brought him to his homescreen.

I took a look.

It’s a picture of –what I guessed- the younger version of him and another man. Their cheeks glued together and they were smiling. I smiled at his crooked teeth that were shown in the picture. I knew I was behaving like a ert, crazy man, but I couldn’t help to peek at his phone.

 

***

 

“Seunghyun, I am sorry. I can’t continue this.” He said.

We were in a café that we often came to. It’s near the building where I worked at. It was only lunch time on Thursday, an unusual day for us to meet, considering that he lived and worked quite far from the area. When he phoned me and he said that we have to talk, it was the beginning of my uneasy feeling. I really had to muster my courage to drag my feet to the café. Then he said that he was sorry?

“Why, Ri?” I look at his eyes, demanding an explanation from him.

“I love Youngbae.”

I froze. “Love? What do you mean?”

“I just realize that I love Youngbae more than you, Seunghyun.”

“I—“ I opened my mouth, but I couldn’t find the appropriate sentences to express my feeling. So many words in my head, so many things to say, but they got stuck in my throat. It was too much. “I couldn’t believe what I heard, Seungri. I heard you wrong, right?” I shook my head.

“You didn’t, Seunghyun. I said I love Youngbae and we should stop this. I can’t do this when Youngbae showers me with unconditional love while I’m having an affair with you.”

“But you promised me you would divorce Youngbae and live with me?”

“I know I am a jerk, Seunghyun.”

I hate the falling snow around us. I was sure it would always remind me with this heartbreaking moment, remind me of Seungri. I stared off into the distance and put my hands into my coat, not knowing what I should do.

“Seunghyun…” He called me weakly.

I turned my face to look at him, trying to find a slight lie. A slight lie to glue my heart that was already smashed into smithereens

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter