Ch-1(PROJECT WORK)

CHANGES in his STORY

Best friends are great to have they say. They are the ones who know you better – probably even better than you know yourself. In times of need, they’re always there. In times of shame, of course, they are also there. Pros and cons are never separated in the package, and Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol deal with it quite well. 

They were the best of friends since childhood, but in a rather strange way. There is never a day or even an hour that they won’t grate each other’s nerve. To put it simple, they both hate one’s presence, yet oddly they find this fighting as their source of amusement together. Fancy, huh? Well, I think so too. When arguments start to heat up in another way though, because Chanyeol really loves to tease too much sometimes, he still ends up as the first to apologize to a fuming Baekhyun. 

Chanyeol, with his adoring face and all, easily magnets some pretty girls and even dated some of them, but the great issue was that he doesn’t despise men too. He doesn’t. Baekhyun, on the other hand, has non interesa with girls at all, his kind and friendly approaches often mistaken by some girls as a kind of affection towards them when they’re not. The difference though, is that Chanyeol had plenty of waists on his arm before when Baekhyun has never dated anyone ever. 

If they were not tasked by the teacher to submit a certain project the next day, then those two won’t be able to realize the “hole” in their friendship- or rather- relationship. 

The teacher assigned a project done with partners, and not entirely surprising, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were paired. Their classmates expected minimal of their outputs, because they create only chaos together, but who knows? Baekhyun was quite fired up anyway, hearing their blabbers. 

They walked back together, separated by the alley, and reached their homes by 6pm, due to the detention given to them for coming late to their Physics class for the third time. It was agreed that they will do the project at Chanyeol’s house but Baekhyun was already late for a few minutes, having Chanyeol wait on the couch while dutifully looking for any signs of petite body forming outside. 

It’s 8pm when Baekhyun finally came. Chanyeol opened the door with a mouthful of protest. “ Ya, Byun! What happened to the 7pm meet-up?! It’s 8 something and we’re only gonna start now!” He liked to call the smaller by his family name, when he’s clearly upset on the boy. His nagging mouth only stopped when his best friend had the audacity to pout. He was not obviously liking the turn of event, but what can he do, his anger dissipated as he realize that Baekhyun was wet from up to down. Knowing the younger for years, Baekhyun’s not the one who can deal with cold for a long time. 

Running his hands on his head in frustration, he sighed and pulled Baekhyun’s arm forward and closed the door. “ You can’t always escape on your mistakes by pouting, Baek. You have a lot of explaining to do. “ 

He swore he heard the other grumble, but decided to ignore it and trailed on to his room. Baekhyun looked like a lost puppy as he waits on the living room, standing up far from the carpet, with few drips falling to the floor. While he was busy sulking for his now dirty converse shoes, a towel was thrown on his head hard. Chanyeol was approaching him, and he returned a hard smack the moment he came near. 

Baekhyun had enough. “ You’re one to complain! Check your phone! I’ve been trying to reach you twenty times already, but you weren’t answering! I had to come running in the rain when I should be inside your car with a freaking heater. We both have mistaken so it up. “ He gave the taller and equal pissed expression while wiping his hair with the towel.

The other shrugged in mock. “ Not my business, it’s my car and my phone, so it’s still your fault. “

“ Ya! I need to have my dinner and take a shower too you know! “ He threw the towel to Chanyeol’s face in a bit awkward position due to the height difference, but it landed on his shoulder which is accepted. 

Chanyeol chuckled, while hanging the towel on the nearest chair. “ Well-“ 

“ Argh! Let’s stop this nonsense and start doing something productive, shall we? “ The other insisted in loud voice to halt whatever retort he’s going to say. 

That might be a good idea, but the wet appearance of his bestfriend doesn’t stay well with him. “ Why don’t you change first? I have clothes here. “ 

“ Ahaha. That’s funny. Of course you have clothes, dumb Yeol. “ 

In their normal days, he will be laughing at his silliness, but not this case. “ Seriously, Baek, change clothes. “ He proved his suggestion by grabbing a set of clothes for him and setting them down besides the hesitating boy. “ Stop fidgeting, it’s only clothes. That’s newly washed, you neat freak. “ 

“ I know! But-“

 

Seeing no end to his feisty best friend’s banters, he snatch the ends of Baekhyun’s wet shirt and with swift motion and cooperation of the clinginess of the fabric, he was able to successfully remove the shirt from the protesting diva. “ Y-YA PARK CHA-“ 

Next, his lower part. Knowing Baekhyun, he usually wears track pants or shorts or anything comfy when coming to his house, so it was not a big problem as there’s no button in the way. Thus, leaving Baekhyun clad in nothing but his boxers. 

His bestfriend was now holding tightly on his shoulders, ready if he’s also about to target the last piece of clothing he has on. “ Y-Ya. . .” The smaller nagged weakly, losing his dignity as second passes by. 

He knew Baekhyun easily gets affected by the change in the temperature so he needed to do this as fast as possible. Ignoring the other’s struggle, he put on the large shirt on his bestfriend’s small frame and smiled in triumph despite the laser eyes directed at him. He picked the fallen wet clothes and turned around “I will take your wet clothes somewhere to dry up, give me your boxers. I placed a spare there.“ 

“ What? Why would I- “ 

“ Byun Baekhyun.” 

He waited for a while, hearing the shuffling sound behind him, then there was a poke on his arm. He left the room carrying all of Baekhyun’s clothes. 

When he got back, he has his signature smirk. The shirt was incredibly big for Baekhyun, but he can see a pinch of his boxers probing near Baekhyun’s knee, knowing that everything was too big for him right now. “ Aish, look at this cutie. “ He can’t resist not teasing him. 

“ Shut up, giant. “ 

“ Shut me up then, bacon. “ 

“ I’m y, right? “ 

“ Okay, let’s start the project.” 

“ Ha! But you still talked!” 

 

After two hours, they worked without disturbance, and managed to finish by 10:15 pm. It hasn’t stopped raining, but it was relatively milder than what Baekhyun experienced while going to his home. 

After analysing outside, Baekhyun put on his pants which were still a little wet. “ Chanyeol, your shirt- “ 

“ Ah, wear it back to your house. Your pants are still good, but your shirt is really soaked. “ 

The boy blinked twice, then nodded. “ Err. . . okay. “

 

“ It’s still raining. Why don’t you just stay here for the night? “ 

“ I’d like to take up on that offer, but I really can’t tonight. And I also can’t wait for it to stop so I’m going. May I borrow your umbrella? “ With quick strides, Baekhyun wore his shoes at the front porch with Chanyeol silently contemplating. 

“ It’s dark outside, Baek, walking alone isn’t safe. “ He tried once more. 

“ I’m a guy, Yeol. I’d look scarier. “ They both laughed. 

But beneath the smaller’s façade, Chanyeol knew he’s shaking on his bones. Who was Baekhyun kidding, he can’t stand darkness and easily gets scared, what more if he’s alone? Even if he does this tough act, Chanyeol knows him too well that he can easily read him. 

He sighed. “ I’ll walk you home. “ Grabbing two of his coats from the couch and his keys, he walked back to a confuse Baekhyun. “ Come on. “ They went out and closed the door silently. Chanyeol, with an umbrella on his other arm, gave to his bestfriend his other coat. “ Here. Wear this. “ 

This time, Baekhyun didn’t protest as he can already feel the shivers crawling at his spine. “ Ah, thank you, thank you. “ He wore it in no time, the sleeves so long they hid his hands. 

He’s being babied again. What can’t he do without Chanyeol. 

 

“ You don’t really need to, Chanyeol. “Baekhyun looked at him, to which the taller returned with a laugh. 

“ It’s fine. Besides, I don’t want to see purple circles around your eyes for getting punched by someone. I will be too embarrassed to walk with an ugly person. “ Chanyeol teased. 

“ Correction! Bestfriend and YA!” He was earned with a light hit, the fluffy coat serving its purpose by limiting the deadly hits. “ The one that’s going to be injured is him! My punches send bad people to hospitals!” 

“Ha. Ha. What a joke.” 

“ By the way, Chanyeol, do you like Seohyun? There are rumours going around the school about you two. “

“ Seohyun? Hmm she’s cute, but not my type. “ 

“ You don’t know, there might be other trait. “ 

“ Aish, I told you she’s not. That’s it. “ 

“ Tch. Cute was one you liked before. Then you liked boyish girls, then someone cool, sometimes confident or shy. You don’t stick to the same trait, if you’re not aware. “

 

 

 

 

The taller just sighed, finding the argument nonsensical and changed the topic to something interesting. “ Baekhyun, have you ever kissed someone. 

He was earned with a strained laugh, the older feeling embarrassed to confess his lips. “ You know the answer, Yeol. I don’t hide anything to you. “ Baekhyun stuttered, not bothering to return the question. 

Secrets are definitely forbidden between them. It serves as a mortal sin as they believed it sets a barrier between them. Chanyeol’s first kiss was a senior girl named Sandara Park, or Dara. Baekhyun even caught them kissing one time in an empty classroom, but he never told Chanyeol about it. He guessed it wasn’t necessary anyway. 

“ Want me to kiss you? “ Chanyeol’s voice halted his thoughts. 

They went back to their usual teasing. “ Kiss me and I’m yours. “ Baekhyun winked with a sly grin. 

And the inevitable happened. 

For the swiftest second of his life, Baekhyun felt his lips on his. He wasn’t able to see the taller bent down, or how he has managed to circle his arm around him, because for that moment his mind felt numb. With widened eyes, he watched Chanyeol stood straight. It was unexpected; his first kiss was snatched just like that. 

Just. Like. That. 

“ Earth to Bacon? “ And the giant has the nerve to grin after committing a sin. Oh it’s so on. 

Baekhyun slapped the playful hand waving in front of him, and screamed right in front of the taller. “ YA! I’M- I’M GOING TO KILL YOU! YOU- DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU JUST DID? YOU FREAKING TAINTED MY PRECIOUS LIPS! “ 

Chanyeol giggled in enthusiasm. Ah this little sh@t. “ You’re mine now, Baekkie. “ He choked as soon as hands grabbed his neck tightly. “ Alright! Alright! I’m sorry! “ 

“ I thought you were just teasing! Dammit, Chanyeol! Are you crazy? “ Baekhyun glared, then sighed. 

“ Can’t help it! You’re so cute!” 

“ Shut. Up. “ 

On the five minutes of walk left until they reach Baekhyun’s place, Chanyeol was continuously being the older’s personal punching bag. He deserved it anyway. Every punch he received with his larger palm resisted his urge to laugh. His best friend punches like a grandma. 

“ Go home! I kinda hate you right now “ Baekhyun grumbled as soon as he stepped on the entrance of his house.

 

“ Then why is that you don’t even bother rubbing your lips hm? “ 

Baekhyun gasped and wiped his lips with the coat he was wearing. “ I hate you, Park Chanyeol!” The other was busy laughing to return the gesture. 

“ It was only a peck, Baek. Don’t deny it, you want a full kiss, don’t you? “ Chanyeol cooed, while walking away before Baekhyun approach him and prepare his death himself. Besides, his own suggestion seemed kind of tempting, which he doesn’t know why. 

“ Text me as soon as you come home!” He heard from afar, and he grinned. 

 

It was just a small peck but its effect has obviously taken a toll on Baekhyun. Heavily, if I may add. Ever since that fateful day, Baekhyun starts to have this little tingling on his stomach whenever he and Chanyeol meet, and it only gets worse every day. 

Eventually they confessed their deepest desires, though in a wrong time. Chanyeol, despite his protests, needed to stay in Canada due to his father’s work. It was an emotional departure, but they themselves don’t have any choice. Months after Chanyeol’s leave, they would keep in touch through texts and emails, but eventually the routine slowly dissipates as both individuals have to do their own duties as well and they became busy with their own lives. Timezone was a big problem, Baekhyun was free for calls, while Chanyeol was in his own classes and vice versa. Soon enough, the only communication they had were birthdays and Christmas, and other holidays.

Baekhyun also started dating when he entered college, with a boy named Oh Sehun. He is older, but due to the other guy’s advanced knowledge they were able to join in the same year. On the other hand, Chanyeol has never dated again after he left Korea. Months being separated with Baekhyun, made him terribly silent, finding it hard to like a girl to replace the older on his mind. He doesn’t quite understand at the moment but his heart tells him to be loyal to whoever he wants to be with at the moment. Thus, he focused on his studies, days never passed without him thinking of Baaekhyun’s well-being. 

 

But he guessed, his hardwork earning excellent grades was finally paid off. Chanyeol wanted to continue college back in Korea and his father finally approved, believing that he can manage well there anyway. 

 

Present time. 

“ Come on, Baek. Answer the damn phone. “ Chanyeol, styled in straight long coat and thin scarf around his neck, has been trying to reach his best friend for the sixteenth but to no avail ending with familiar beeps. Defeated, he returned the phone back to his pocket and decided to try again later. While walking, he reminisced the times and wondered all the things that change while he was away. He noted to himself to take some stroll sometimes.

 

 

He soon reached the apartment he will be staying during his college years. The building seemed fine, very decent even for someone like him who doesn’t like high-class but something just comfortable. 

Fixing his coat and clearing his throat, he knocked at the door thrice. After a few minutes, the door opened. 

He gave out his best grin. “ Hi! I’m your new roommate, Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol. “ 

“ Park. . . Chanyeol? “