Start

Sideways Glance

You woke with a start covered in a cold sweat. You jolted up from your lying position and eventually your spinning vision revealed your familiar room. You glanced down at Bobby sleeping on the floor by your bed. He was still deeply, calml asleep. Your chest heaved at you breathed heavily until it didn't feel like someone's hand was around your throat anymore. You blew out your breath at you laid back down and to your side. When your were comfortable under your blanket again your mind was flooded with memories of the nightmare mixed with ones from your childhood. Clary filled your mind and the grief you had so meticulously controlled until no was running rampant in your mind. It flooded you like icy water and your felt cold and numb and tired. You could't contain it anymore. You choked on a sob and the tears began to flow. You covered your mouth with your hand to try to stifle your sobs but they would not be controlled. 

"Jee?" 

You cringed at the voice. This was the last thing you wanted to happen. You turned and looked over your shoulder at Bobby. He was knealing by your bed with his chins resting on the edge of your bed in his hands. Had you not been in such a state, you would have found his rumpled hair edearing, but at the moment you couldn't function. You wiped your tears and turned over to face him. His face was level with yours and closer than you expected. "Sorry to wake you," you breathed. 

Bobby stood up and you sat up. All he did was sit next to you and pull you into his arms. Your heart hiccupped and the grief spilt everywhere again. You held your breath trying not to let the pools of tears in your eyes overflow. 

"Don't ever be sorry for crying," Bobby whispered. As he spoke, you felt his breath graze your ear and your iron will broke. Your walls came crashing down and you cried. You couldn't remember the last time you had cried like that. Once they started the tears didn't stop for what felt like an eternity. And all Bobby did through it all was hold you closer to him and press his cheek closer to yours. After what felt like hours your tears finally dried and you went limp in Bobby's arms. You breathed in his smell even though you felt like crap you also felt so much better. Bobby pulled away slightly to look down at you. You closed your eyes and blew out your breath. Bobby let you goo and you laid back down in bed. Bobby kept a firm hold on your hand and smiled a small sad smile down at you and he used his other hand to pull the blanket up over you. 

"Better?" he asked quietly.

You nodded and he smiled a little wider at you. He let go of your hand and began to move towards his bed. Without thinking your grabbed his and kept him from moving away. He looked down at you in confusion and a little bit of shock. You blushed a little. You didn't even know why you had stopped him. "Don't go," you heard yourself saying. 

Bobby's eyes softened and he sat back down on your bed next to you. "It's cold," he said jokingly. 

Without thinking, you threw back your blanket and moved over inviting him under. He looked up into your face for a moment before settling into the sheets next to you. The two of you weren't touching but your were lying next to one another facing each other. Your eyes searched Bobby's face. A glossy plane of a forehead, smooth eyelids, delicate eyelashed, a chiselled nose, statuesqe cheekbones, a soft cupids bow, and a round chin. What was it about him that made you automatically drawn to him? Bobby watched you search his face and he smiled at you as your eyes made their way back up to his eyes. That smile was all you remembered before drifting back to sleep and this time there were no nightmares. 


You woke up with the sun shining softly through your window. You blinked at the sudden light and stretched. There was an odd weight across your stomach as you stretched and you looked down. It was an arm. You followed the arm up to a shoulder and across the shoulder to a very content and sleepy face, Bobby's face. He was sleeping on his side and his arm was slung carelessly over your body. He sighed in his sleep and continued to sleep like a baby. You sat up and looked down at this boy in your bed and couldn't tell if you wanted to laugh or slap yourself in the face. What were you doing? And why the hell were you doing it?

You sighed and slipped out from under Bobby's arm and made your way to the kitchen. You would think better after breakfast and caffeine. While you cooked Korean rolled eggs you let your mind wander to what had happened last night. You felt a little embarassed about showing that side of yourself to Bobby. But he had seemed to be so understanding and hadn't freaked out or anything. How was it that you had just met this person and yet you were already comfortable enough to take down walls that you didn't even take down around your friends or family? 

"Good morning."

A voice behind you startled you out of your daydream. You turned to see Bobby groggily rubbing his eyes and sitting down at the table. "You're up," you said. "I'm glad I didn't have to wake you." You pushed the rolled egg onto a plate and while it was cooling you dished out rice and got kimchi out of the fridge. You set them all out on the table and sliced the rolled egg beffore handing Bobby some chopsticks. 

"Two meals out of you," Bobby enthused. "I'm not going to ever want to leave." He began eating and you smiled to yourself.

The meal was held in silence and you didn't know whether or not to bring up what had happened or not. Should you apologize? Thank him? Say it was nothing?

"Bobby?" you said testing the water.

His head shot up and his eyes met yours. "Hm?" he answered. 

"About last night, I'm-"

"Don't say you're sorry," he cut you off. "I told you never to apologize for crying. There's nothing wrong with feeling how you feel, okay?" He ended his sentence with some finality and kept eating.

There was a silence and you just kept eating with him. "Thank you," you finally said. 

Bobby just raised his head to smile at you. "That's what friends are for," he stated. 


After the meal and clean up it was the moment you hadn't been able to think about yet. Bobby had his sweatshirt on and the two of you were standing in the doorway. He slipped on his shoes and faced you. 

"So," you said a little awkwardly, "I'll... see you around." You internally face-palmed at the lame line. 

Bobby took your hand in his and it felt so warm. He pressed a small piece of paper into your hand. He drew back and you looked down at the small, folded paper in your hand. You reconized the paper as one of the memo notes you kept on your desk for your notes. You looked at the paper and then back at Bobby in confusion. He smiled at you and pinched your cheek like he had in the taxi.

"I don't forget about friends," he assured you, "and I don't do this ever... but I'll make an exception."  He quickly hugged you, so quickly that when he pulled back you weren't sure if it had happened. "Bye, Jee," he said as he opened the door.

"Bye, Bobby," you murmured and the door swung shut. As soon as it had you looked back down at the folded note in your hand. You leaned against the wall by the door and debated about what it could be, but before you could let your mind run awayy with you, you just held your breath and opened it. You smiled a little and how Bobby-like the writing seemed and at the contents of the note. 

His phone number. 


A/N: Hello, lovely readers~ How are you liking this so far? This chapter was a little hard for me to write... because of a little bit of writer's block. I will hopefully continue to update this as frequently as I can, but I will be a little busier in coming weeks. Please understand~ Also, sorry if there are small typos here and there, the keyboard on my laptop is a little glitchy and I don't always catch mistakes. Enjoy~