final

Nerve-Wrecked Brides and Sweaty Grooms

“No. This is too hard, oh no, I can’t breathe,” Seulgi panted as she paced anxiously around the room, her face etched with a deep frown. Her best friend Joohyun who was, as expected, her bridesmaid, rolled her eyes at her friend’s nerves. After all, the two did come so far.

 

“Seul, can you just calm your down,” Joohyun said nonchalantly from her seat in the expensively decorated dressing room in the chapel. She was dressed in a shimmering light blue gown, which, perfectly matched with the theme of the wedding; Heaven.

 

“Just how could I? Oh god Joohyun I’m going to die,” Seulgi let out a sigh as she covered her face with her gloved palms.

 

“Come on, you’re drop dead gorgeous right now and Minseok is waiting right outside!” Joohyun exclaimed exasperatedly, only getting a groan as a response. A tad bit worried, Joohyun neared Seulgi and held her by her shaken shoulders.

 

“Hey, hey, look at me. You’re looking dashingly beautiful with your super expensive gown and pretty face okay? It’s your wedding day and the ‘love of your life’ is standing right outside waiting for his stunning little wife of his. I’ve known you for a long time and you’re never like this. You’re always strong and determined okay? You hear?” Joohyun voiced in attempt to calm the nerve-wrecked bride.

 

Seulgi was silent as she pondered and thought about all the nightmares she had before the wedding. What if she made fun of herself by tripping? What if she looked terrible on the day; Or worse, she runs away? She doubts the latter though. She loved the man too much to run away. With a deep breath, she nodded and muttered ‘okay’. Although it was merely muttered, it held the strength that she hoped would be enough for the day.

 

Joohyun swelled with pride as she finally saw the glimmer of courage in her friend’s eyes.

 

“Let’s go then.”

 

 

..

 

Minseok has been sweating buckets as he stood next to the altar.  He looked like he was about to pass out from the heat. Just when he was about to reach for another sheet of tissue to wipe his disgusting sweat off, the wedding march started playing and he stilled immediately. He faced the gargantuan doors of the chapel, looking expectantly. He hasn’t seen Seulgi since the morning and he felt empty.

 

It was then. He saw her as if when he first laid his bubbly eyes on her high ponytail and pretty oval face back in college. There was one word that could describe his emotions right now, and it was ‘Bliss’.

Seulgi had her head down, her veils draping gracefully down her back. She walked as if she was gliding across the white marbled floor. There was a certain lightness to it. The sunlight that peeked through the little windows at the sides of the chapel reflected on the little rhinestones embedded on the bodice of the dress; they glittered brightly like the glimmer in her eyes.

 

It was as if the time froze between the two as Minseok reached out for her hand with a soft smile and eyes that stared adoringly at his wife-to-be.

 

“You’re beautiful.” He said with much sincerity in his eyes as he looked into her eyes and she blushed another shade of scarlet with no help of her blusher.  She smiled and Minseok was awestruck again. He wondered if everyone in the chapel would hear the loud thundering of his heart against his ribcage.

 

They faced the priest, both with wide smiles on their faces, as they looked forward to the event in a new light. The elderly priest looked at the newly wed couple and reminisced his own wedding many years ago and smiled fondly to them. He started saying the marriage vows, with both the bride and groom uttering earnest yeses while facing each other.

 

“You may kiss the bride,”

 

As Minseok heard that line, he closed the distance between the two of them and caressed her face which such tenderness she almost cried.

 

“I love you,” He whispered, only an inch away from her pink lush lips. Looking into his eyes, Seulgi could only wonder what did she do in her past life to deserve such a man.

 

“I love you too,” She said softly. Minseok held Seulgi by her waist as he eliminated the rest of the existing space between them.

 

With closed eyes and euphoric hearts, they kissed.