~ 01 ~

Winter's Tale

~ Prologue ~

Two beautiful young women, stood by the four graves with tears streaming down their cheeks, holding hands. They fought against the pressuring sobs.

“At least we know, they didn’t suffer.” One of the women said and sniffled, holding her tears back. The morning sun gleamed in her shiny blond hair.

 

“Yes.” The black haired responded. “But they were too young to die.”

 

“I know.” She reveled convulsively. “It means that there’s only us now. You and me. We have to stick together if we want to continue this family.” The blonde squeezed the other’s hand gently.

 

“Yeah, and that’s what they would’ve wanted.”

They were interrupted by people from afar who wanted to commiserate. They young cousins stood shoulder by shoulder and greeted their neighbors and friends. Their parents death caused by a car accident on their way home from a football game, had been completely unexpected and shocking and the tragic loss had puzzled everyone.

 

“Please, ask for help when you need it. You’re terrible young, standing on your own feet,” One of the neighbors said. They had looked at each other and bowed politely, thanking him. Both were twenty. They should both had been able to take care of themselves by now. However, none of them wished it to happen this way. They received many offers of assistance and help but they didn’t rely on anyone. They both thought that they already had a plan, continuing their daily lives and beloved family traditions.

But of course, they didn’t expect to be all alone, so suddenly.

 

 

 

 

~ Chapter 01 ~

Kim Minhee headed towards the crew barrack and knew that she was soon to be late but she had to speak to her operator, Kim Jongin. She was grateful that she had her father’s loyal manager to lean on. Because of her brother’s unexpected death in an age of sixteen, she had not learned much about administer a cattle ranch. By the grief about his death, her father had been scared of losing her too. This resulted in Minhee being protected against all kinds work and instead being showered with love. She had become her father’s princess and he and her mother’s death had made her deeply heartbroken.

 

But now, it was time to learn a bit how to manage a ranch and Jongin had promised to help. She intended to meet him later that morning, but something had suddenly struck her and that was why she had arrived a bit earlier.

She reached the barrack and was standing for a moment, taking a deep breath to pull herself together to knock on the door. Before she did so, a roaring laughter from the inside caught her attention. Leaning forward, she eavesdropped, wanting to figure out what could be this fun. She stiffened when she heard the manager’s  treacherous statement.

 

“I can’t see why I shouldn’t be continuing. If I could fool her father, it must be ridiculously easy to fool that girl too. She will never find out my true intentions. Well, I have earned more than fifty thousands grand per year the last four years.”

Minhee took a few steps back from the barrack. When she had an idea they couldn’t hear her anymore, she turned around and stormed back inside the main building.  

Immediately, she grabbed her phone and called her cousin. “Oh, Jungwha. Thank God, I just heard Jongin brag about tricking father and the amount of money he had earned by it. Fifty thousand grand per year, the last four years. “

 

Minhee heard Jungwha exhale into the phone, shocked.

“Oh how awful! There’s only one thing you can do! You have to fire him. You can’t trust him, so make sure he disappears without taking any of your belongings with him. Can you do it?”

 

Minhee took a deep breath, answering her cousin.

“I can do it. I’m so pissed. I can’t believe he did it to father. The problem is, what am I going to do next? You know, I don’t know anything about this business. Dad refused to learn me and Jongin is the only one who knows how to manage this ranch.”

“I know you need help. Wasn’t your father a great friend of Bang Sihyuk? He owns one of the biggest ranches in this area. Maybe he can recommend one you can trust instead of Jongin?”

 

She let her stiff shoulders drop and sighed in relievement. This was actually not a bad idea.

“Great idea. Thank you so much, I was completely lost for a moment. I’ll make the police take Jongin with them, away from here, as the first thing tomorrow morning. I doubt I can prove what he did but I think I should be able to scare him enough to disappear.”

 

I’m glad Minhee. Let me know what happens."

 

“Of course. Thank you Jungwha. I call you tomorrow.” Minhee ended the call and took the first difficult step as a ranch owner.

 

~~

 

“Mr. Bang, I want to thank you for your time. I know you and dad were friends, and I need some advice.”  Once again, her phone glowed this morning. She had to find a replacement for Jongin soon.

 

Of course, Minhee. What’s the matter?

 

“I need a ranch operator, one who’s known for being honest and the person’s abilities as a leader. One who would be willing to teach me how to manage this business.” Minhee closed her eyes, hoping there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

 

Mr. Bang hummed in the other end of the phone.


That was not an easy deal, sweetie. What happened to Jongin?”

There was no need to hide it anymore. Minhee didn’t even hesitate.

“I fired him this morning after I found that he lied to dad and stole a large amount of money from the ranch. And now I need a replacement.” There was a short moment of silence.

 

“I’m sorry Minhee. You father was a great man. It’s difficult to find proper management these days.” There was a short moment of silence and Minhee was sure that all hope was lost, until he exclaimed something he apparently forgot.

 

“But it’s possible I know the right person. He is ready to be an operator but we don’t have any vacant position for him at the moment.” Minhee smiled in relievement. Were things finally going to solve themselves?

 

“What’s his name?”

 

Jeon Jungkook. There’s only one thing.” He began to chuckle in the other end.

“He has a reputation of being a bit of… a ladies’ man, so you better watch out.”

 

Minhee rolled her eyes. “Oh please, I’m sure I can handle it Mr. Bang, just as long as I know that he behaves around here.”

 

There wasn’t any trace of speculation in Bang Sihyuk’s voice.

“You can trust this guy Minhee. 100 %. I’ll send him over as the first thing tomorrow morning. I hope everything will be alright. See you around, sweetie.” They ended the call, and Minhee was all smiles, happy to have fixed the issue. But she was starting to get a little bit curious to see who this man was, Jeon Jungkook.

 

~~

 

Jeon Jungkook headed towards the big house, gritting his teeth. He hoped that it was Mr. Bang who wanted to talk to him and not the younger Mrs. Bang. She had chased Jungkook all summer and had expected his dismissal. It wouldn’t be fair since he cherished no interests in this woman whatsoever, yet he couldn’t convince her. He had even smaller chances in convincing Mr. Bang that it was his wife that chased him and not the other way around.  He would take it as it came, as well as he could.

 

He knocked on the front door and waited. Bang Sihyuk turned up and opened the door.

“Come on in, Jungkook.”

 

“Yes, sir.” He followed the elder. “Let’s go to my office and have a chat.”  

Jungkook thought he would be lucky if Mr. Bang gave him a recommendation. When they finally had settled down, Mr. Bang stared right off, not missing a thing.

“We both know that this can’t continue, Jungkook. I didn’t want to say goodbye because you’re a good man. It wouldn’t be OK. So I found another job for you.”

 

Jungkook lifted his head and stared at his boss. “Usually, I find work on my own.” Stubborn to the last.

 

Mr. Bang sighed. “Okay, I need to be honest. You would do my a huge favor if you accepted this job. You’re ready for it. The daughter of one of my friends, who died recently, need a new ranch operator and one to teach her how to manage the business.” Jungkook frowned. He had wished for a job like this, as a ranch operator. It was huge news. But he didn’t like the idea of teaching a woman how to administer a cattle farm.

 

“I’m not sure I’m the right one for the job.” He nodded politely, ready to leave until Mr Bang warded him off, signaling him to stay.

 

“You are, Jungkook. And we both know you can’t stay here.” He got a point.

“I know, but what kind of ranch is it?”

 

“The Rocking B, in the other end of town. It’s a good cattle ranch but she just discovered that her latest manager tricked her dad and milked him for lots of money the last four years.” Mr. Bang took a sip of the cup of coffee in front of him, not removing his gaze from Jungkook’s curious one.

 

“Well, I could talk to her.” Before he could finish off his sentence, his boss interrupted him.

 

“Good. She awaits you this morning. Pack your things, then I’ll tell my wife about your absence.” He winked.

 

“Yes, sir.” He thought that he might as well talk with the woman about the job. And if he didn’t like the situation he would leave instantly, moving on. He had saved up some money and could take care of himself a couple of months.

 

When Jungkook arrived at the crew barrack he found out that the men already had gone out to work. He would call them as soon as he figured out what he really wanted. They all knew about the situation, so they wouldn’t be surprised to discover him gone and away. It didn’t take him long, packing his things. The thing he, first and foremost, would bring was his horse. He and Dakho had been partners for the last four years. He was well-trained and many had tried to buy the horse from Jungkook. His wagon and trailer were well-maintained and practical, no matter where he worked. He placed Dakho in the trailer and connected it to the car before throwing his belongings into the backseat and entering the car himself.

 

He started the car and set out on an hour long journey to The Rocking B- cattle ranch.

 

~~

 

Minhee walked around in the kitchen, back and forth, continuously, while she waited for Jeon Jungkook to show up for his new job. She sincerely hoped that Bang Sihyuk had explained him everything. She assumed he would arrive soon.

It would be a relief, having a man who could manage the farm. Minhee knew so little about the decisions she had to make, however, she intended to work hard and learn what she had to learn but she couldn’t do it without help.

 

Minhee heard a vehicle oscillate up her long driveway. Looking out of the window curiously, she saw a pickup-truck and a trailer stop right in front of her house. She held her breath and waited for the car door to open, only to be met by a tall and muscular man. Mr. Bang had told her, that he was a womanizer, and she intended to make her lack of interest very clear.


When he approached, she was surprised to see his face. He had some rough, handsome features, defined by a sharp jawline, that surely attracted many women but not her. She had to learn how to manage a farm, not how to get a boyfriend.

 

The male headed towards the backdoor. She waited until he knocked, breathing heavily before she opened the door.

 

“Yes?”

 

“I’m Jeon Jungkook. Mr. Bang suggested me to have a talk with you about an available position.”

 

“Yes, come in, Mr. Jeon.” Minhee stepped aside so he could enter, she headed towards the kitchen. “Coffee?”

 

“Yes, please.” Okay, he had some great manners. She gave him and herself a cup of coffee, asking him to sit down by the table, right across from her.

 

“I hope Mr. Bang explained you everything about the teaching-part. I don’t know much about managing a cattle farm.” She took a sip of her cup.

“Yes, ma’am. I’m not sure I’m the right one for the job. I’m not used to explain my work to anyone.” Jungkook captured her gaze as Minhee nodded slowly.

 

“I understand, Mr. Jeon but I’m afraid that it’s a part of the job that’s necessary.”

Jungkook wriggled his eyebrows. “If you dare to give me the job, then why learning about it yourself?” Minhee thought he sounded a bit too confident.

“Because I believe that I should know about the content of the job just as much as you. Otherwise I can’t speak openly about my opinions.”

 

Jungkook was getting fired up. He didn’t see the necessity of a woman learning about his work. If he did a decent job, wouldn’t it be enough?


“It’s not something that’s easy to learn. Well, hopefully you know, that I can’t teach you what I know, within six months or a year. It takes time.” Minhee clenched her fists, trying to maintain her temper.

 

“I understand. But I have to start somewhere.” Jungkook sighed, she wouldn’t give up that easily.

 

“Do you also understand that I might  postpone your questions until the end of the day? There isn’t always time to answer your questions during the day.”

 

After all, a ceasefire might come to an end.

 

“I can be flexible.” He glanced at her in several seconds, and she stopped breathing. His dark brown orbs were difficult to read. She had no idea whether he would accept the job or not.

 

The finally, he extended his hand across the table. “Well, alright. Ms. Kim, if you want me, I’ll take the job.” She grabbed his hand and shook it, finding herself to like the strength in his hand when it enclosed hers. “Yes, I would love to. Can I show you where you’ll be staying?”

 

“Yes ma’am.” They let go of each other. She got up and lead the way out of the kitchen and towards the crew barrack outside. Minhee had made a single room ready in the very end of the cabin, the day before.

“This is the operator’s room. I hope it’s alright but please say if you need anything. You can put your dirty laundry in that basket over there. I’m in the process of hiring a maid so I’ll tell her to wash your laundry once a week.” Minhee paused and looked around before she continued.

 

“I haven’t fired any of the other staff-members but if you see anyone doing something they shouldn’t, you are welcome to kick them out.”

He nodded, staring at his new room.

 

“Yes, ma’am.” Minhee smiled by his short and direct answer. “Is the room OK?”

“Yes ma’am.” It was starting to get funny. Well, he was surely a man of few words.

“Then I’ll leave you alone. The men will be back before sunset. One of them will be here earlier. He’s is your cook.”


Jungkook just nodded and Minhee did the same and disappeared out of the door before she began to respond with ‘yes, sir’ as the counterpart to his ‘yes ma’am’. She walked across the field, separating the crew cabin and her house. She hoped that Mr. Jeon would do a great job and teach her how to manage this business, many years ahead.