Evidence

I'm in love with my best friend

Exhibit A

 

I was sitting at the bar alone, waiting for Namjoon to turn up. I checked my watch sighing at the time. He’s half an hour late. I’m gonna kick his when he gets here. I finished my drink and signalled to the bartender for another. I noticed a guy slip into the chair beside me. I purposely kept my eyes on my phone, sending a text to Namjoon telling him to hurry his up. My drink arrived and I slipped my money across the bar, beating the guy next to me as he tried to pay for me.

 

A minute later another drink appeared in front of me, I frowned up at the bar tender, “I didn’t order this.” I half shouted to be heard over the music. He pointed at the guy next to me who gave me a lecherous smile. Ugh, why? I pushed the drink over towards the guy. “Thanks but no thanks.” I shouted with a smile as I returned my attention to my phone, praying the guy would get the hint and leave. Unfortunately, I’m not that lucky. He got off of his seat and stood right up against me, sliding the drink back in front of me.

 

“Nothing wrong with accepting a drink.” He said, his whiskey breath right at my ear. I pulled away and glared up at the guy, just as I opened my mouth to tell the guy to back off, I felt an arm wrap around my waist from behind. I spun around and came face to face with my best friend. Namjoon looked down at the guy standing beside me, a hard look on his face. “Any reason why you’re talking to my girl?” he said, his tone low. The guy backed off and disappeared into the crowd. My heart skipped a beat at how cool he looked and how protected I felt with his arm wrapped so tightly around my waist.

 

I sighed in relief before slapping his arm, “Yah, what the hell? I just saved you from a ert!” he said as he rubbed his arm. “Well he wouldn’t have bothered me if you had been here on time.” I said as I took a sip of my drink. “Touché.” He replied as he ordered himself a drink. “Sorry for being late.” I waved off his apology, “You’re here now, it’s cool.”

 

Exhibit B

 

We were in a little café that we often frequented. Namjoon was at the counter picking up our coffees. The girl behind the counter shamelessly flirting with him. I frowned at her. There’s no way a skirt that short is her uniform… and that make up. Is her boss letting her dress like that? Wait, when did I become such a ? Am I jealous? Nah… I’m just coffee deprived… and she really is wearing too much make up…

 

Exhibit C

 

We were at our mutual friend Jimin’s house party. I could overhear Namjoon’s conversation with a couple of girls. I was supposed to be listening to Taehyung, but I couldn’t help but focus on Namjoon’s conversation instead. One of the girls asked him if he was single and he said no and pointed in my direction. I quickly turned away, pretending that I hadn’t been eavesdropping. We often used each other in this way. If one of us gets hit on and we aren’t interested, we say that we’re dating each other.

 

I don’t know why, but hearing Namjoon saying that I’m his girlfriend sent a wave of happiness through me. Taehyung mistook my smile as interest in his story and continued rambling on about the prank that he’d played on Jin earlier that week. What’s happening to me?

 

Exhibit D

 

Why is this list getting so ing long!?

 

Namjoon and I have literally known each other since we were babies. We went to the same day care, same primary, middle and high schools. We attend the same college even though we’re in different majors. We’ve done everything together, our families even went on vacations together! We shared beds growing up as we often slept over at each other houses. So why is it now that when we’re lying on my bed watching some stupid movie that I feel so tense?

 

Namjoon doesn’t seem to be acting any differently so only I am feeling like it’s weird that we’re lying here, both only wearing tank tops and shorts thanks to the hot summer weather and we’re practically pressed up against each other to fit on my bed and still get a good view of the TV. My heart is racing at the feeling of his body pressed against mine…

 

 

It’s official… I’m in love with my best friend.