The First Entrance

Nothing Lasts Forever

author’s note: I’ve had this idea for a while now, and I played around with it in my head a lot, but never got to put it down on paper. This is my first attempt at writing a fanfic, so I’m sorry if this isn’t what you expected.

 

I apologize if the beginning may seem a little boring. I need to set up the story first, introduce some of the main characters, Miyoung’s overall opinion on things, etc. No, the king is not Taeyeon, but you’ll see who Taeyeon is in the next chapter. Bear with me okay? love you all <3

 

disclaimer: All characters in this story are purely fictitious. I do not own any of these characters either. Any resemblances to real-life persons are purely coincidental.

 

★★★ 

 

The day I first entered the palace, was a day where the sky was very blue and there wasn’t a single cloud in sight. As I stood inside the palace, I could see numerous birds flying from place to place, jumping around, and singing to each other. Large, beautiful geese flew overhead. I remember my family once told me that a day in which large geese were present, meant a day with a bit of luck.
 

Hundreds of wagons roll to the side gate of the palace. Young girls of different ages swept in from vast areas of the country. I stood quietly, with all these girls, whose makeup and perfume scents flooded the waiting area. Everyone was quiet, busy taking care of themselves and making sure that they were pretty and presentable.

 

We were all here for one event: concubine choosing. Every three years, there would be a choosing, and the eldest daughter of all government officials were required to be present. If the eldest was already married, then the second eldest would have to come. If not, then your father would lose his job, and your family would be shamed. And it’s not like the choosing process was any fun either. From what I’ve heard, they took an effort in choosing girls who were not only pretty, but hopefully, girls who were smart and talented as well.

 

The king had already held his great wedding, and concubines were already present in his palace. This year’s choosing is probably just to choose more concubines as possible backups. Nothing special, really.

 

This event was really not an important one for me either. Most girls my age dreamed of marrying the king, of marrying into the palace. That way, they could live a life of luxury and grandeur, and perhaps even win the heart of the king. Who wouldn’t want to be in love with a king?

 

I for one, had no taste for those dreams. Father always told me that I had been too spoiled at home and that I wouldn’t be able to survive the harsh conditions within the palace. And Mother always wanted me to find someone that I really loved and hopefully someone that actually loved me back. My mother didn’t want  me to have to share my husband with fifty other women. I didn’t want to either.

 

The emperor owns everything in this land. Technically speaking, he is the greatest man of all. And yet, I wish not to be with him. He could be a very good man, but I don’t know that. What I do know is that he’ll never be able to love only me.

 

As I waited patiently with hundreds of other girls, a pretty side profile caught my eye. Being the playful person that I am, I snuck up behind her. I tapped her lightly on the shoulder, and the pretty girl silently startled and turned around in surprise.

 

“MIYOUNG!” she cried happily. “I haven’t seen you in so long!” She gave me a giant hug.

 

“Shhhhh. Sooyeon, don’t be so loud! And I need to breath!” I attempted to whisper as I struggled for air.  

 

“Sorry, Miyoung.” she replied, eyes twinkling. “I can’t believe I’d see you here. With all the preparations going around for this choosing, I really haven’t seen you in so long. And you’re even lovelier than before.”

 

“I would say the same about you. I bet the king will choose you the moment he sees how beautiful you are.” I patted her hand. “And this dress! Seriously, you look gorgeous today.”

 

“Ahh you do too. But you’re... dressed so plainly? Miyoung-ah, you look very pretty and elegant, but you won’t be very noticeable.”

 

It was true. Unlike many of the other girls today, I had chosen to wear a simple, plain and somewhat pale color of a dress. I thought perhaps the king would only notice the girls dressed in vibrant colors, like Sooyeon. I wanted to blend in with the background and make myself as unnoticeable as possible. All I wanted was to complete my duty and head back home.

 

I frowned. “I don’t want to be noticeable. I don’t want to be chosen. I just want to go home as soon as possible, you know?”

 

She nodded, immediately understanding what I meant. Sooyeon and I had been friends for so long, we knew each other very well, and I was extremely thankful for our friendship. A sudden thought gripped me. What if Sooyeon is chosen and I don’t....does that mean we’ll never be able to see each other again? I frowned, shaking the thoughts away. We’ll figure something out. Her voice brought me back to reality “I understand what you mean. But you never know…” her  voice trailed off…

 

Far off in the distance, the sound of china shattering rings through the waiting area. “How could you spill all of your tea on my dress? Who are you?!?! And your father. Who’s your father?!” a shrill voice pierced through the air.

 

Everyone turned their heads towards the sounds of the commotion. A small, petite girl mumbled incoherently, “I’m sorry, miss! It was an accident! And….umm...I’m Choi Jieun...my father...my father…”

 

“What? Is your father’s rank so low that you’re afraid to declare it to all of us?” the one with the shrill voice snickered. She was tall, not very pretty, but had an arrogance around her that just screamed she was a high class daughter. If this is the type of person that I have to deal with as a concubine in the palace...

 

“Um...my father is Choi JiKyun, level eight officer...I’m very sorry miss, but I’ll repay you for your dress and I’ll give you …

 

“Give me what?? What can you give me? Those jade bracelets on your wrists? You’re still using last year’s style, why would I want that? You have no earrings, even you’re dress is made from last year’s designs. What else can you do? Do you even know who I am?” the tall girl fired questions at Jieun.

 

“No...I..I’m very sorry. I’ll do anything, miss.” Jieun was shaking, and her stuttering didn’t help her situation  

 

“Oh my, what kind of a peasant are you? I’m Lee Jihyun. Father is a level one official. You know what? Why don’t you kneel and bow down to me, and then maybe I’ll let you go.” Jihyun smiled slyly, obviously enjoying herself.

 

I’ve always had somewhat of a fiery temper and seeing as things were getting out of hand, I rushed forward to help this Jieun girl. Sooyeon tried to prevent me from doing so but I dragged her with me.

 

“Alright, alright it’s nothing but a dress. If anything, you can go into a changing room and change into a new dress. We can simply replace this dress for you if you’d like. Someone as beautiful as you shouldn’t be wasting their energy arguing about worthless things.” I tried diverting the attention away from Jieun. Poor girl, she looked so shaken.

 

“And who are you?” Jihyun questioned with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Hwang Miyoung. Father is a level 4 official.” I calmly replied, unwavered by Jihyun’s menacing glance.

 

“Hmph. Your father’s ranking isn’t any better. Just because you have a pretty face doesn’t mean the king will notice and remember you, you know that right?”

 

Ahhh. So the king will only remember my face? My beauty? And not for who I am? Why would I need a man like that? Of course, I kept these opinions to myself.

 

“No, perhaps he wouldn’t. But he will definitely remember someone as high-ranking as you, miss. And definitely someone with such elegant beauty as you as well.” I smartly replied.

 

Jihyun hesitated. She turned to Jieun, “I’ll let you go this time. But remember me.” She walked away, her maids trailing behind her.

“Jieun. Are you alright?” Sooyeon and I gave her a quick hug, trying our best to comfort the girl.

 

“I’m alright. Thank you both so much for helping me. If you both hadn’t come to help me, I don’t know what would’ve happened.”

 

I lightly laughed. “It’s  alright, no big deal.” I walked towards a nearby bush and plucked a light pink flower from it.

 

“Here, put this in your hair. It’ll make you look very youthful. And take my earrings too.” I eagerly took of my earrings and handed them to Jieun. Not like I need the king to notice me anyways. “Take it as a...first meeting gift?” I tried a cute smile.

 

“Thank you so much, miss! I can’t express my gratitude enough.”

 

“Stop calling me ‘miss’, you make me sound so old. Just call me Miyoung” I smiled.

 

“Choi Yewon. Choi Shikyung. Choi Jiyun. Choi Sookyun. Choi Jieun. Please line up!” a voice shouted from afar.

 

“Go, good luck Jieun! You’ll do well, I promise” I pushed her forward.

 

“Miyoung, thank you so much. And thanks to your friend too” Jieun bade us farewell.

 

I’d unknowingly ignored Sooyeon the entire time, and now I turned to her. Sooyeon’s expression was unreadable. “What’s wrong?” I asked.

 

“That Jieun...something is off-putting about her, and yet, I can’t seem to tell what it is about her…” she frowned, deep in thought.

 

“No big deal. She seems alright. We don’t even know if she’ll get chosen. I just wanted to help her. That Lee Jihyun was just too rude” I shrugged.

 

“Miyoung-ah, this is the palace we’re talking about. You can’t be so kind to everyone. Remember that okay?”

 

“I will. Thanks, Sooyeon” I reached out to squeeze her hand, expressing my acknowledgement.

 

I waited patiently for my name to be called, and as I waited, I replayed everything that just happened. I sighed inwardly, closing my eyes. Lee Jihyun, daughter of a level one official. Her personality honestly isn’t very endearing, and yet people like her always enter the palace. Father always said it was because of a family’s rank that the king would choose a certain girl, and not because of the girl herself. The king needs to uphold his power. But if power is the reason why the king takes in these concubines, then where is the room for love to blossom?

 

I was drowning so deep in my thoughts that I didn’t even notice my name being called. Sooyeon gently pushed me “Miyoung, Miyoung! You need to get going!”

 

“Alright, alright I will. I love you Sooyeon-ah. You’re the best friend that I’ll always love. Wish me luck that I won’t get chosen?” I whispered.

 

“Shhhh don’t say that. Others will hear you” she reprimanded. “But yes, I wish you luck. Love you, my dear sister.”

 

This is it. Please make sure that I don’t get chosen? I just want to go home and experience a normal life...

 

With one last look at my best friend, I lined up and headed towards the front of the king’s palace, praying with all my heart that luck would be on my side.

 

--------

 

And that’s it for chapter one. Tiffany sounds a lot less lively than what we would imagine, doesn’t she? But it’s mainly because she doesn’t want to be chosen, so she’s really depressed about it. Not much TaeNy action yet, but that will definitely come.

 

also the official positions rank from levels one to nine, level one being the greatest, and level nine being the lowest.

 

Next chapter will be from Taeyeon’s point of view, so I hope that will be interesting for you guys!  

 

Leave some comments, constructive criticism, questions and suggestions? Anything is great, really. And if you happen to like or find the story interesting, perhaps click subscribe? Thank you all<333

 

See you guys next chapter! YoungStar-out