Chapter 2

A Taste of Love

Chappie 2

Fragments. 

Everything was broken.

Shreds.

Everything was ripped apart.

Everything that was constructed meticulously and staunchly up till now snapped and penetrated the heart of an innocent seven-year-old.

Broken pieces can be seen everywhere, including remnants from torn clothes and severely damaged properties. In a far end corner, a ring with a 5 carat sapphire was found. It used to be very adorning and enchanting, like snowflakes which bring ecstasy to children. Unfortunately, on that very day when her parents were supposed to commemorate their ruby wedding anniversary, it had lost its magic completely.

It was once a loving family. There was always scrumptious meals laid on the dining table. Everything was warm and fluffy. Her devoted mother would always read her bedtime stories and her caring father would give her piggy-back rides.

Or at least that was what she thought so.

In a single night, her mother was regarded as ‘disloyal’ and her father was regarded as ‘tyrant’.

Those two terms explained many things, why her parents hadn’t slept together, why they were never lovey-dovey, why they sorted things out too clearly between them and why they wouldn’t take her on a trip with both of them present.

At that very moment, all she could see was just the faces of two strangers, not her parents anymore. All she could see was just a woman trying to leave frantically and a man clinging onto her desperately.

“This has always been nothing but a business; a deal, including that parasite of yours!”

Realisations struck the girl too suddenly that she couldn’t find something to hold onto.

That one sentence, had brought tears to her pale face. She had never really cried before but this time, it seemed like the barricade had been broken.

In that dire strait, the only thing that could make her feel at ease was that teddy bear, which was named Stephanie.

Tiffany POV

“May I know is there anyone who in this class who can answer this: what’s the scientific name for fingers?” The raucous voice of Mr Lee’s strikes the class. Hmm, is it vertebrae or phalanges again?

That girl with a French braid, can you please present your answer?” Damn.

“Sir, I strongly believe that they’re called phalanges.”

Mr Lee gives me an approving look and allows me to sit down. Knowing I’m already out of his attention, I can now stare at the scenery outside at ease. The faces of my classmates are immediately replaced by lush greenery. Hope Academy advocates the 3R motto therefore the school looks like a forest from the outside.

“The lesson ends here for today.” Finally. My biology teacher seems discontented when he feels the subtle relief among his students. “But, to keep you guys from boredom, please complete up till page 11 in your activity book. Class dismissed.”

On the count of 1…2...3… Frustrated groans arise from the students in sync. Well, nobody is his right mind would like it anyways.

Out of the blue, a crumpled paper hit my head right on the temple. I try to look for the culprit but only find Mouse waving her hands in my direction, she looks as if she’s about to say something. The sight of her trying to convey a message through mouthing is really hilarious that it also cracks me up.

“Hey, I was asking, do you want to have lunch with me? The school canteen has some tempting promotions today, going to stuff my belly with it!” She says while clinging onto my arm eagerly, obviously not interested in my response.

Chang Wook POV

Monday. Thank God, I am eventually able to take a break from this depressing day.

The school canteen is very congested, they’re probably having some sort of mega promotion. Not interested to blend in the crowd and get squished, I have decided to walk towards the most remote and quiet stall and purchase anything that’s economical.

As I am about to pass through the gigantic crowd, a nimble yelp comes from nowhere, which prompts me to face that direction out of sheer curiousity.

Ah. Fate has a huge penchant to toy with people.

Mankind is just puny creatures inhabiting in a colossal universe, which consists of thousands galaxies and even many more who are way beyond our means to discover.

Every day, ranging from years to milliseconds, there are always unorthodox occurrences happening around the world, including the way a twinkling star loses its brilliance, a sprout emerges from soil and a butterfly hatching out from its pupa.

Many little things evolve around us, and we are actually one of them.

Tenacity, determination, perseverance… I wonder where all these words originated from when everything is able to be tallied facilely.

What happened three years ago was unexpected; what’s happening right now is also unexpected.

Her small hands grasp mine tightly until she could get a hold of herself. For some unknown reasons, I catch a short glimpse of her micro expression- a look of gratitude. Alas, it disappears as soon as she recognises me.

According to Paul Ekman, micro expressions are very brief facial expressions, lasting for only a fraction of a second and tend to occur when a person deliberately or unconsciously conceals a feeling.

“Oh hey, it’s you.” Just imagining her expression if I tell her we’re actually living under the same roof makes me feel thrilled.

“Miss me?” I like seeing the way her eyebrows twitch whenever I annoy her. Feeling nothing but infuriated, she walks past me in a nonchalant manner and sits down at the furthest table from me.

By hook or by crook, I have an intuition that she feels lonely. Since young, I have a quite reliable knack in reading people’s mind. Well, no matter what circumstances you are in, having a vexatious company is still better than getting swallowed in the midst of loneliness.

“Are you having your lunch alone today?” She eyes me suspiciously as I sit down in front of her. As I’ve thought, my supposedly caring gesture turns out sounding like a threat to her. “Hey, calm down. I’m not trying to mock you.”

The grip around her limbs tightens, as if she’s about to admit something embarrassing.

“Not really.” She answers while clearing . “I had a company. But she got too carried away by the promotion so we got separated eventually. Well, I don’t like to be surrounded by a lot of people, so I figured out the way to exit and here I am.”

“I see.” I wreck my head, looking for a solution to quench her boredom. My eyes settle on her coiffed French braid, which is reminiscent of the early centuries, when blue-blooded ladies move around in hindering dresses with a personal maid.

“Why don’t we go on a short expedition around the school campus, Mademoiselle?”

*

I have never been an admirer of Mother Nature. I don’t really think they’re that exotic as described, because everything is too simple and looks just what it seems. Every single time, whenever those poetic, self-indulgent English teachers start reciting a poem or literary text (that are actually supposed to be enthralling), I always start picturing about how foolish the author might seem, getting so caught up in such a mere sight.

However, Tiffany was pretty awed by the scenery of fall.

Well, I have to admit that I don’t despise autumn as much as other seasons. To me, it’s the most well-balanced time of the year. It’s not too frigid like winter; searing like summer, nor exuberant as spring.

The campus is flooded by an abundance of maple leaves, adorning the school with striking vermillion, gold and green, presenting summer the best mosaic as a virtue before bidding their farewell of the year.

Glancing at her almost breathless reaction like a two-year-old kid that is just exposed to the wonders of the world, a smile escapes from me and disappears with the trace of the autumn breeze.

“Hey, aren’t you feeling chilly? You’re not wearing a jacket to warm you up.” I ask.

“Not really. The school uniform is pretty thick.” I stare at her slightly shivering silhouette and the way her nose turns redder every minute. Her breath which appears as a result from the climate engulfs her face like a thin veil trying to fabricate her chattering teeth.

Liar, liar. Butts on fire.

Third Person POV

Chang Wook tugged Tiffany up and ped his jacket. He covered it around her and made sure she didn’t take it off by securing the belt that’s attached to the jacket. She certainly looked bulky with it, but she found it quite helpful to warm herself up. Not mentioning that it’s rude to shrug off other people’s act of solicitousness.

“It’s fine. I’m not that cold.” Nevertheless, she didn’t like to owe him a favour.

“If you think you don’t need it, then it’s up to you to take it off.”

Tiffany nibbled on her lips, then silently mumbled, “Thank you.” while hoping that he would overlook it. She rarely seeked help from anyone, so receiving a response upon expressing her gratitude was a cumbersome experience to her. “But are you sure you’re okay?”

“For a person like me, I may need a while before getting used to this South Korean air.” He said while looking at the sky as it graced itself with flitting clouds.

The boy looked at the lifeless beach that’s full of litters. It’s way different from the beaches he had gone to since young, there isn’t any trace of pristineness, and not a single spot that’s suitable for him to rest.

His mother was waiting at the doorstep. Finally, a figure appeared and pulled her mother into an enthusiastic embrace.

“I’m extremely happy to see you standing right in front me, Hye Jin. How have you been doing?” A man with a raspy voice asked, his concern for the boy’s mother conspicuous through the tone of his voice. Those long-awaited tenderness brought his mother to tears. Having failed to supress her despair anymore, she started weeping while crouching in front of the person she could only turn to that moment. The man shifted his gaze to the boy with a huge grin plastered on his face.

“Welcome home, Chang Wook.”