II.

Desperately Seeking Santa

28 days until Christmas

 After a weekend of preparation and even more research for her special project Jessica was excited to come to work to share her idea with her marketing team. When she entered the discussion room, the seats were filled with only her special seat vacant.

 "So tell me, women do most of the holiday shopping right?" Jessica asked her group, they all nodded as she smiled. "So what do stay-at-home moms, 20 something career girls, and desperate housewives all want to unwrap under their Christmas trees?"

 Nobody responded, which made Jessica content that this idea was a sure shocker and definitely intriguing. Standing up from her seat she turned to an easel that was cover with a black cloth. She held the cloth lightly and turned back to her tea.

 "I present to you, I'Park Mall's y Search for Santa." announced the proud executive as she unveiled the poster. It was an ad with two girls dressed in skimpy Santa outfits hanging on the side of a toned body man with a question mark in place of his face. All the girls in the marketing team applauded, especially Hyoyeon, immediately excited about the new Christmas pitch.

 "Now the auditions alone will generate all sorts of press." Jessica continued, getting back to business once again. "We'll have a panel select the top three, and then the audience will get to choose the winner."

 "Just like Superstar K except with hot dudes!" Hyoyeon acknowledged, giggling to herself.

 "Exactly." Jessica agreed, giving her best friend a grin. "The winner will get 1 million won, half up front the other half on the last business day, Christmas Eve. He'll do a whole dance number, followed by photographs, then a sit on the lap. Who can resist that?"

 The group agreed and Jessica felt accomplished. Now all she had to rely on was the perfect Santa Claus.

 After the new y Santa contest was introduced, everyone got back to their regular jobs. However, before the announcement of a special Christmas competition, Jessica had one duty to fulfill, and it was going to happen right now.

 Walking into the office was jolly Santa Claus dressed up in his bright red outfit. Jessica frowned, surprised by Santa's early arrival, obviously making this situation harder than it already is.

 "Oh ..." she droned as she looked towards Hyoyeon in pity. "You dressed up."

 "Of course," Santa replied. "Didn't you call to get an early jump on the holidays?" He patted Jessica's head as he commented, "Always the smart girl huh Jess?"

 Jessica gave a light smile as she tried her best to bring the bad news. "That's not why I called you here. We have to let you go Kiwook."

 "What?" he said, stunned. "I've been working as the Santa Claus at I'Park for 17 years, I'm a legend!"

 "I apologize but this year we're trying something new." Jessica continued, trying her best not to look into his eyes. "HR has your severance papers so you won't be left empty handed."

 Kiwook shook his head as he passed by Hyoyeon's desk who muttered an apology as well. Hyoyeon got out of her desk and walked towards her boss.

 "That was harsh." she commented, looking back to see Kiwook take off his hat and beard. "It's like you fired my father or something."

 "Don't give me that look Hyoyeon." Jessica scowled. "I can't be everyone's best friend in this business. Things happen, and people will get fired. You'll get used to it when you take over."

 Hyoyeon looked expectantly at Jessica and noticed the fire in her eyes when she spoke. She hated to see her father get fired, but HR was going to take care of it, and of course Hyoyeon can use her salary to support her father if anything does go wrong. But Jessica could've tried to be more simpathetic, but it's not her responsibility to be so nice to everyone.


 "Yes sir," Jessica spoke on the phone the next morning, trying her best to reach the coffee stand. She was already running late and Soo Man was pestering her about the huge bill on stages, lights, and Christmas decorations. "I'm sorry but I just got stuck in traffic but I'll be there right away," she heard Soo Man curse but took that as a sign to hang up which she was more than happy to do.

 Passing by the long line of suburban people she went back to her usual front of the line. "Sorry Miss Jung but your drink got cold," Doojoon explained. "I'll make you a new one though."

 "Thanks Doo." Jessica said.

 "Hey missy," a voice called out. Jessica turned around, wondering who the person was addressing. "There's a line."

 "I know, I'm sorry, but I'm late for work," Jessica responded, turning back to Doojoon, trying to make whoever was calling her out to stop with the nonsense. She had shown up enough times in the morning that everyone in line should've known she had connections.

 "Yeah, work's a grind, but we all have places to be," the guy retorted. Jessica took a deep sigh, wondering if she should defend her position or just ignore him but it was too hard of a challenge.

 Turning around with a newfound morning attitude she identified the child who had the nerve to ruin her already bad morning and noticed his bike helmet.

 "I think where I need to be is way more important than your little bike messenger journey."

 The guy simply chuckled. "Well first off I'm not a bike messenger." he checked Jessica out, taking notice of her fancy attire and crossed his arms. "Second, I didn't think divas from uptown would come to a dump like this."

 Jessica was appalled, she was definitely not a diva. Had this guy just move into town recently, almost everyone in line has met her in her years of existence. This guy was making her blood level go high and adding coffee would definitely make her burst.

 "What makes you assume I'm from uptown?"

 "Oh you know," he said, beginning to list her faults. "The professional clothing, the diva attitude, and the obviously not natural brown hair color."

 "I lived just around the corner. Born and bred."

 "Could've fooled me."

 Jessica scoffed, as she finally received her coffee. "Honestly I don't think that would be a very difficult thing to do."

 The guy laughed at her remark, tucked his hands in his pockets and gave a bright smile to Jessica.

 "Are you always a little sweetheart in the morning?"

 Waiting for her response Jessica simply glared at the man. "Only when confronted with jerks like yourself." Then off she went to walk away, leaving the guy laughing to himself as the others around him commented on him being burned.


 The mall was crowded with hundreds of men, from high school seniors to senior citizens, all trying out for the y Santa. In the center of the mall was the stage, and a few centimeters in front of it was a long table filled with all the judges.

 "I am so glad I came to work today!" Hyoyeon squealed as she took her seat next to Jessica. "So many hot men!"

 "Now calm yourself Hyo," Jonghyun teased. "We are all professional judges who are here to pick our potentional y Santa."

 Jessica rolled her eyes at the two and began to speak. "Thanks to our guest judge, TV host Park Kahi we have one newscrew. Now remember you guys, find someone who has the appeal of Rain and the spirit of Santa Claus."

 "That definitely won't be hard," Key commented as he watched all the candidates go on stage. The audience of thousands of women cheered, happy to see the Christmas spirit.

 Jessica received a microphone from one of the interns and tried to get everyone's attention. "Okay guys, you'll have 60 seconds to show us you have the looks and personality to be I'Park's new y Santa. Now remember, only three of you will make it to the finals so you have to give us your best first impression. Good luck!"

 The same pattern went on for most of the Santas, abs, body waves, and luscious hairs. Of course, there were the ones who wanted to just put on a show, like Shin Donghee, who made a Santa out of his stomach. But the one that was almost life-threatening was an ahjussi who was stripping in front of everyone and all of South Korea.

 "Next," Jessica called as the next Santa Claus stepped up. She had yet to have one look at the Santa as she continued speaking, "Name?"

 "Nichkhun Horvejkul, but feel free to call me Khun whenever you like to." the guy responded. When Jess lifted her head she rolled her eyes, him doing the same motion. It was the same child she had a nice meeting with just a few hours ago. Interested in how handsome Nichkhun was, Hyoyeon stole the mic from her boss and smiled.

 "Hello Nichkhun, why are you here today?" 

 Khun placed his left hand in his pocket, like how he did in front of Jessica before, and shrugged his shoulders. "Umm ... I guess it's not really manly to admit something like this but um, I love Christmas."

 The whole audience along with some of the judges awed at his brave confession.

 "My mom used to make it very special for us when we were kids," he continued, looking up to the ceiling with a grin. "And although she is no longer here with us, I know she would get a kick out of this competition."

 Jessica, tired of this guy already, leaned her face towards the mic that Hyoyeon was holding and shouted, "Thank you!"

 "Wait, no hold on." Hyoyeon stopped, moving the mic away from her and turning to Sica. "He's not done yet." Jessica rolled her eyes as Hyoyeon allowed Nichkhun to continue.

 "Well, we used to watch a dancing show together and I memorized the routine." he looked towards his right and saw the same intern who handed Jessica her mic and smiled. "I was supposed to dance it alone but, can I borrow her?"

 "Go ahead."

 The intern walked towards him and they got in the normal dancing position. "Just follow my lead," Once the music began he began to lead her towards the front of the stage, twirling her, and spinning her around. The intern seemed to be enjoying herself and the crowd was pleased with their exquisite skills.

 When it was over the whole crowd screamed and cheered, possibly the loudest out of all the contestants so far. But Jessica wasn't so hyped up about this Nichkhun kid like the rest of these people.


 It had been an hour since the mall has been closed and the judging panel was discussing about the final contestant for their top three. They had already chosen Lee Kikwang, the short body waver, and Choi Siwon, the tall and lanky handsome boy, but they couldn't find a third person.

 "Oh and Horvejkul," Jessica commented, wanting to vomit just from his complicated last name. "What a poser, using your dead mother to get pity points? How desperate."

 "What!?" Hyoyeon asked in shock. "He is perfect!"

 "I think he is a tasty morsel." Key admired.

 "Total man candy," Kahi agreed.

 "This guy?" she repeated, facing the photograph of Nichkhun to the other four judges. "He's definitely does not have the appeal of Rain just so you know."

 "Are we talking about the same guy?" Jonghyun questioned Jess.

 "Good night," the intern called out to the judges.

 "Wait Kim Hyuna!" Hyoyeon brought back. "What do you think of this guy?"

 "Oh ..." she blushed at the beautiful photograph. "You mean my future husband?"

 Jessica was shocked. She did not want Nichkhun to be even close to working alongside her. She motioned to Kahi. "I will change my vote on that juicehead if you change yours on Nichkhun."

 The group began getting into an argument over Jessica's cheating ways but she managed to get to Jonghyun as well. "Plus, how bad do you want the metal guy in the top three?"

 "Real bad!"

 "So for this third position, we shouldn't fight over it." Jessica announced, looking at Hyoyeon specifically. "Let's put it to a secret ballot, shall we? Just vote your conscience and who you personally thing will personify Santa into a y human being."


 Nichkhun tried to pick at his bike lock for a few hours but he couldn't get the ice off it. If it was days like these when he wished that he'd spend his money wisely for a car instead of waste it on extra classes to catch up on his medical studies.

 Jessica noticed Nichkhun fixing his bike but tried to ignore him as she passed by him, hoping he wouldn't notice her presence.

 "Hey!" Khun called out, obviously noticing her. Jessica silently cursed to herself as she turned around.

 "Why are you still here?"

 Nichkhun kicked his bike and smirked. "Bike lock's frozen."

 "Ever heard of public transportation?"

 "I like the freedom my bike gives me." he chuckled. "Especially how the wind blows through the holes in my bike helmet."

 "Looks really freeing." Jessica agreed.

 Khun sensed the sarcasm in her voice and couldn't help but to expect it. "I feel like we got off on the wrong foot earlier this morning, but I just hope you can be fair in there."

 "Fair?" she repeated. Nichkhun nodded and Jessica just had to scoff off to the side. "Listen, despite what you might think, I am a total professional who makes impartial judgements based on true merit. If you didn't make the cut then you only have yourself to blame."

 "So does that mean I didn't make it?"

 Jessica sighed, wishing she knew the answer to see his face when the news hit but she didn't know. "I haven't checked the ballots yet. However, I will be calling the finalists tonight." Nichkhun nodded and she began to walk away.

 "Have a Merry Christmas Miss Jung," Khun called out to her with a smirk, Jessica turned around and glared at him then continued her way. Hopefully this would be the last time the two would have any contact with each other.