The queen

Empress Hyun: The Twelfth Concubine
Please log in to read the full chapter

I swear I was going to put this as a one shot and finally, finally completed this story. But the story ran away from me halfway through and a new plot appeared. Long story short, I screwed up. I don't think I could do it justice if I force it to end so I'm going with the flow. I hope it won't take another year before I update again.

King Sunggyu caressed his queen's hair slowly with a smile on his face. Since their marriage and Woohyun's coronation last month, King Sunggyu had spent every night in the Queen's Residence. He had never bothered to visit his other concubines and recently he didn't even return to his own residence.

Woohyun's pregnancy had entered the second trimester despite the hardships of the first three months. The palace had finally announced the Queen's pregnancy to the citizens after the King was assured by all the healers that he wouldn't lose the baby.

Amazingly, the citizens took the news that the Queen was a male and pregnant with a cheer. The baby was hailed as a miracle and would surely bring the country into a new era.

King Sunggyu trailed his finger down Woohyun's cheek and breathed a sigh of relief. The pregnancy had not been easy on Woohyun. They didn't have any references on male pregnancy and were going into this blindly.

Woohyun was plagued by horrible morning sickness halfway through his first trimester and was put on bed rest when he started bleeding. King Sunggyu was sure that he had lost the baby when he woke up one night to Woohyun's whimper and the bed soaked with blood.

King Sunggyu chuckled to himself when he realised that his child was as stubborn as him. Apparently the baby was determined to be born despite everything. And now at four months, things were finally looking better.

"Hyung..."

King Sunggyu looked at his queen with affection and kisses his forehead softly.

"Did I woke you up, my queen?"

Woohyun shook his head slightly and bit on his lower lip. King Sunggyu waited patiently. He knew Woohyun had something on his mind and he would tell him when he was ready.

"You don't have to spend every night here, Your Majesty."

Sunggyu placed his hand protectively over the gentle swell of Woohyun's belly and felt cheered with the knowledge that it was his baby in there.

"But I want to be here."

Woohyun sighed softly and King Sunggyu knew whatever was coming, he wouldn't like it.

"I couldn't serve you in my condition, Your Majesty. It would be better if you spend the night with one of the concubines."

King Sunggyu frowned as he tried to understand Woohyun's words. He knew t

Please log in to read the full chapter