The Umbrella Guy

The Umbrella Guy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Umbrella Guy

 

It was your average December day; cold, crispy and gloomy. 

 

Sprawled on my bed after finishing a tedious attempt to study, I knew I was doomed. Not only I knew close to nothing in the hieroglyphic book — aka my Math textbook— laying in front of me, but  I was having a Math exam next week.

 

I was on the verge of crying, wishing that the ground would swallow me alive so I won’t have to face this torture of an exam. Having enough, I decided that I should go for a stroll in the park. Briskly, I jolted out of bed, going towards my wardrobe. Wearing a black sweatpants and a pink-pastel hoodie, I was ready to go. Running down the stairs, I informed my mom that I was going for a walk, took my mobile and key chains, wore my black Converse and headed outside.

 

The air was crispy, the street was as empty as the Sahara dessert and the sky was a tad bit gloomy. Walking towards the direction of the park, I popped the headphones in my ears, played Confession Song by GOT7 and began humming along. Out of blue, heavy showers of rain began falling like no tomorrow. 

 

Stupid me! I should’ve seen it coming! I thought, mentally slapping myself for such a stupidity.

 

Running with a marathon-contestant like speed, I reached the park in no time. Looking hastily around, I saw that no one was around.

 

My chance

 

Without giving it much thought or considering the aftermath, I took off my hoodie, only to be left in my basic white shirt. Spiritedly, I began dancing aimlessly in the rain, with no specific beat in my mind. While being drenched in the rain, I felt my worries melting away. I was alone and I liked it. No homework, no studying, no stress.

 

It was cliché, like one of these teenage movies. Honestly, I’ve always wanted to try something like this; the feeling of being the only one existing. In such a deserted park, I felt like I was on the top of the world. It was a feeling I’ve never experienced before.

 

‘ THE MATH EXAM!’ I screamed as loudly as my lung allowed me.

 

Suddenly, I noticed a slim male figure under an umbrella. He wasn’t that far away. The first thought that flashed through my mind is that he was a murderer. It was the only rational thought, a rainy weather like that where everyone was in their house is the golden time for a murderer to be out and about. 

 

At that exact moment, every horror movie flashed in front of my eye. Having a vivid imagination, I suddenly began imagining every horrendous method he could use.

 

Like any sane person in the same situation, I began sprinting like a mad man escaping from an asylum. 

 

‘Wait,’ this creepy murdered shouted, as he started following me.

 

Not in a million year! I am not going to be today’s victim!

 

Jogging, I could feel him catching up behind me.

 

‘I mean no harm!’ he shouted out of breath, in despair, ‘you dropped your hoodie!’

 

Halting, I stupidly turned around, only to be surprised by the figure in front of me.

 

Byun Baekhyun was standing in front of me with all his glory. 

 

‘O-oh, Thanks,’ I stupidly stuttered in front of him. 

 

A moment of pause passed between us before I decided to break the ice by embarrassing myself in front of him.

 

‘Hey,’ I started, ‘Are you the real Byun Baekhyun?’ 

 

‘What?’ he asked, with an amused smile gracing his flawless face.

 

‘I mean,’ I stopped, trying to find the proper words instead of saying that I think he’s a murderer, ‘aren’t you his doppelgänger or something?’

 

‘No I am the real one,’ he said.

 

Of course no one is that perfect. 

 

‘Prove it,’ I said in a challenging tone, although I was still skeptical about him being a serial killer.

 

‘Why should I?’ he said cluelessly.

 

‘Because I think you’re a serial killer,’ I blurted out.

 

As expected, he bursted out laughing. He was laughing hysterically like a hyena. Although he was still as attractive as ever, it was kind of getting silly. After a few moments of him clutching his stomach from laughter and me wearing my best poker face, he finally stopped.

 

‘Why would you think something like that?’ he asked seriously, a hint of amusement still evident on his tone.

 

‘Because we’re not in a safe world,’ I deadpanned, ‘we live in a world full with cunning bastards,’

 

‘Well,’ he began, ‘I guess you’re right after all,’

 

He began searching in his jeans pocket, opening his expensive Louis Vuitton wallet and showing me his ID card. Inspecting it closely, I was relieved that it was indeed him.

 

‘You don’t know how relie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter