The Season of Giving

The Season of Giving

 

The Season of Giving
*ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ ❄‧₊˚ 

 

 

It is that time of the year once again. The twelve cherished days waft with a sprinkle of stardust and wonder-like joy, where hands intertwine warmly and children peek out their windows, waiting for a special someone to arrive. Kittens curl up by the warm, toasty fireplace while nieces and nephews plaster themselves to the window, tracing in awe the falling feathers of snow.

For some parents, the week is tiresome, what with the frantic shopping and scribbling of greeting cards. Mothers chide their naughty little kids who tie their scarves to the snowmen they carve out, gently bidding them out from the backyard with the promise of hot cocoa. Fathers piggyback their pride and joy, watching fondly as they plop the star onto the top of the christmas tree.

This season of giving is special in the hearts of many. They bask in the hearty laughter round the table seated with cousins, grandparents and everyone who's considered family. It is a time of camaraderie and counting one's blessings, the twelve days of dear Christmas holding an undeniable magic.

Busy as the parents may be, along with the hardworking shopkeepers, no one is more hassled than our very own Santa Claus. With letters streaming in from all over the world, it's no doubt Santa needs some helpers of his own.

Even so, Bang Yongguk thinks it's not a good enough excuse to appoint Jung Daehyun as this year's Santa Claus for Korea.

People often wonder how Santa manages to finish his gift run when the world is so gargantuan and he is just one person, no matter how magical and amazing he is. Let me tell you the secret to his sucess: he has a lot of apprentices lodged in every country across the globe. Yeah, Santa Claus does offshore outsourcing. In fact, he started the whole thing way before it became a trend. The big, mean corporations came around centuries later and stole his idea. What more, they monetised it!

Back to the topic at hand, Santa's helpers are assigned to each of their home countries, having been taught how to do their rounds of present plopping and stealthy sneaking. Each of these mini Santas are stray children who Santa adopted and brought home with him to the North Pole.

In essence, every country has its own Santa Claus. A few years ago, Korea's Santa Claus was none other than Yongguk, who did his run well and never faltered despite the bristling cold. Daehyun had been a Santa in training then, tailing Yongguk as he slipped through the dusty chimneys and open windows. Daehyun had been more of a burden during the time he was under Yongguk's wing, noisily wolfing down the cookies left out and tripping on a multitude of Christmas ornaments in the dark.

For the past four years, Santa had delegated the role of Santa to Daehyun, giving Yongguk the chance to pursue his dreams of being a lyricist. That didn't stop Yongguk from tagging along on Daehyun's gift deliveries, despite Santa's stamp of approval for Korea's new Santa. Daehyun has the Christmas spirit of sharing and caring, definitely, but he has several worrying traits. He's spontaneous and quite the rash one, so his runs are often hectic and impulsive.

Yongguk could not cross out the aghast possibility of Daehyun giving in to temptation and raiding a poor, innocent family's fridge. What more, Yongguk does not put it past Daehyun to cook in a complete stranger's house, which means  chance are he'll set a building on fire. Which is precisely why he adamantly tagged along for Daehyun's run for yet another year.

"Daehyun, slow down!" Yongguk screams as he clings on for dear life to the crimson sleigh, Daehyun barrelling the contraption through the night sky terrifyingly fast. It's how Yongguk has been celebrating Christmas Eve for these few years in a row—praying hard he doesn't fly right out of the doomsday trap Daehyun set him up in.

Daehyun expectedly pays no heed to Yongguk's yelps, swerving around as the reindeers obediently gallop through the air. He niftily tosses a couple of presents down a few open chimneys and laughs raucously.

"Hyung, I didn't know your voice could go so high." He draws the reindeers abruptly towards an apartment complex and Yongguk bites back a shriek, hanging on tightly to the gold handle bars. If Daehyun keeps up his reckless driving, sooner or later, they're going to crash straight into someone's office window. Being plastered face first against a glass window of a corporation 50 stories high is definitely not how Yongguk wants to spend Christmas.

"Our last stop!" Daehyun declares, easing the sleigh to a halt on top of the last apartment building in Busan. Daehyun fondly looks around at his hometown before dismounting the sleigh, patting one of the reindeers' head.

Yongguk is still clutching onto the side of the sleigh, eyes squinted shut. Daehyun hurls a snowball right at his face and Yongguk grimaces, narrowing his eyes at the cheeky boy.

"Come on, hyung!" Daehyun grabs the sack of presents and hops away, Yongguk padding behind while rubbing his head. He bites back the inclination to hurl and wobbles after Daehyun, regretting his decision to tag along.

For apartment buildings like these with no chimneys, Daehyun leaves presents outside the houses of children who still believe in Santa. The parents often think it's an anonymous gift, letting their children delight in the "figment" of Santa Claus.

Heaving the sack of presents on his back, Daehyun swiftly places the accorded gifts onto each doorstep. He shrouds himself carefully as he delivers the presents despite it being past the children's bedtime, not wanting the adults to notice him.

"A colouring book for Minhee, a teddy bear for Kyungwoo..." Daehyun hums a soft tune as he recites off the list, plucking out colourful boxes one by one and giving them away. Polkadots, striped, stars, all the patterns burst from Daehyun's gift bag in a lovely coalescence. He skips several adjacent units, occupied by only adults, and delivers the rest of the presents smoothly.

"I've been thinking, hyung," Daehyun says as he places down the last few gifts, bows neatly tied on top.

"Yeah?" Yongguk asks. The last time Daehyun had been thinking, he proposed that painting his sleigh black so he could look like Batman.

Daehyun pouts, "We mini Santas don't get presents for Christmas."

"It's the season of giving, Daehyun. We're supposed to give and share the love, not take it," Yongguk explains.

"I love giving presents to the children, hyung. It's just that I want a Christmas present too," Daehyun mumbles. "I've never gotten one before."

"You can get one of the elves to make one for you," Yongguk suggests.

"The elves only make toys and I don't want those," Daehyun protests, Yongguk rolling his eyes in return. 

"What do you want, then?"

Daehyun scrunches up his face in deep contemplation. "Um... I don't know."

"Well, you have the next few hours to figure it out yourself." Yongguk points to the last present weighing down Daehyun's sack. "Let's finish your run first."

Climbing a few floors, Daehyun locates the last house, placing the rainbow gift by the door. Inside the box contains several toy soldiers for a little boy whose father has been drafted into the military. 

Daehyun breaks out into a wide grin and let out a pleased sigh. He's finally done with his run. All the presents have been delivered, which means that the children will be waking up to a lovely surprise in the morning.

Yongguk and Daehyun pace towards the stairs, a wave of satisfaction washing over the two. They pass by several units, some engulfed in nightfall while others and bristling with voices. The two come quietly to a stop outside the unit at the very end of the top floor, double checking the list to ensure no child has been left out.

Hearing some static and a vague noise, Daehyun peeks into the opposite house, shrouding himself behind the curtain. The place is clouded with darkness, though there's a stray light coming from the television.

Daehyun's eyes fall upon a young man wrapped up in a thin blanket, sniffling to himself. His face is obscured by the angle of his head, resting on his shoulder. 

"Oh, a non-believer," he remarks. The young man tilts his head at this moment, face slanted towards Daehyun with his stare still fixed on the TV. 

The stranger has a delicate look to him, eyes glassy and face small. Daehyun squints to get a better look through the grimy window, melting into mesmerisation at the man's profile. His lips are as red as a rose, his, red button nose soft and cute, while his long lashes are curled nicely. He has a heart-shaped face and plump lips. This man is almost like one of the porcelain dolls the elves make back home.

He's beautiful, Daehyun thinks. He can sieve out that blatant dash of innocence in the man's glow, moulded within a poignant gloom. The purity is strong for a non-believer, though a good part of it has been chewed away by assumedly the harsh downs in life. It's one of the prettiest auras Daehyun has ever felt.

Mini Santas like Daehyun are able to sieve out who still has the purity to believe in Santa, which helps them avoid people who don't. It's a necessary skill, since non-believers won't look kindly upon somebody prowling about residential areas at night. That's understandable, and so is the fact that as children grow older, they start to believe less and less in Santa while their innocence fades away. Still, it's always sad to see believers go, especially when Santa's magic exists all because of the children who believe in him.

"Let's go, Daehyun," Yongguk calls, stepping towards the stairwell. Hearing no response, Yongguk turns back with a frown to see Daehyun still peeping into the house.

"Hyung," Daehyun breathes against the glass, fogging it up. "This man is beautiful."

Yongguk walks over curiously and similarly peeks into the house. The television crackles in the distance, the oblivious man nestling into his blanket. 

"Um, he is, but we have to go, Daehyun." He looks over at Daehyun's spellbound expression and grimaces immediately. 

"You said you wanted a present, right? The earlier we get back, the earlier you can get your present," Yongguk urges, a little wary of the captivation permeating Daehyun's eyes. It's the same way Daehyun looks at food, which means it'll be harder for him to be separated.

Daehyun flutters his lashes, gazing softly at the shivering stranger with puffy eyes and tear trails down his cheeks. He can sense the loneliness engulfing the man's aura, all blue and black crumpling down onto a weakening white of purity.

"He looks so sad. He's cold, too," Daehyun murmurs, pressing a hand against the half-open window. Yongguk widens his eyes and tugs at the man's arm.

"Daehyun, be careful. You don't want him to notice you. Let's leave already," Yongguk whispers frenziedly. Daehyun refuses to budge, peering through the smudged window at the unknown man.

The stranger wipes his eyes at this moment, smiling sadly at the television screen. The movie playing is of a family gathered in the living room, embracing each other as winter blusters beyond the windows.

"I wish I had someone to celebrate Christmas with," the stranger says quietly, chuckling to himself as though he'd said something extremely silly. Daehyun's shoulders fall, just barely catching the man's depressing words.

"What am I saying." The handsome man embraces himself tighter, eyelids drooping in fatigue.

"Hyung." Daehyun's nose touches the window, like a child yearningly staring through the display glass of a toy shop.

"I know what I want for Christmas."

Yongguk blinks sharply, hesitation scrawling onto his face. "Daehyun, don't tell me..." 

Daehyun finally veers his eyes away from the stranger and stares back in utter seriousness. "I want him."

"Daehyun, you can't just want someone for Christmas," Yongguk exclaims. Before he can say another word, Daehyun interrupts him swiftly.

"I just want to bring him back with us to the workshop for one day," Daehyun adamantly states. "I can't leave him here to spend Christmas all alone."

"Daehyun, he's a non-believer. An adult. If he sees you, he's not going to think you're Santa like the other kids do. He's going to think you're a burglar," Yongguk presses in consternation. "You'll get into really big trouble and it won't be easy for Papa to help you since it involves the non-believers."

"Besides, he might spill all of Papa's secrets!" Yongguk reminds, furrowing his brows. "It's rash to just bring someone back home, Daehyun."

"You brought back Himchan the last time," Daehyun pointedly mentions.

Instantly, Yongguk flushes a beet root red. He splutters, "That's because he wouldn't let go of my leg! And he threatened to rat me out."

"And now you two are dating."

"That's not related to now," Yongguk blurts, sternly folding his arms. "Himchan was a different case. He caught me while I was on my run so I had no choice but to tell him. You, on the other hand, want to bring an adult back."

"But hyung," Daehyun sighs, forlornly gazing at the bundle lying on the sofa. He admits he gets attached to the kids who happen to see him easily, but this is the first time he's felt such affinity with a non-believer. It's rare to see somebody with such stark innocence despite clearly being an adult.

"Come on. I'll get Himchan to make something for you," Yongguk persuades. The stranger burrows his nose into his thin blanket at this moment, sobbing softly to himself.

Daehyun whips his head back with narrowed eyes. "See? He heard what you said about you abandoning him and now he's even sadder."

"Daehyun." Yongguk thins his lips, though the obvious guilt at seeing the man cry sparks as he glimpses into the apartment once more.

"Hyung, I'll just bring him back for one day and we can send him home and he'll think it's all a dream," Daehyun urges with puppy dog eyes. "Please? He looks so sad. We're Santas; it's our duty to fulfil everybody's christmas wishes."

"Daehyun, he's an adult. He can deal with things on his own. He might have important things to do tomorrow," Yongguk reasons, spinning on his heels. "Let's go."

"You don't know that. And we're only going to bring him home for a few hours."

As Yongguk walks over to the stairwell, he heaves, hearing nothing but his own footsteps. He veers back and points out, "You don't know him, Daehyun."

"So what?" Daehyun grunts. "Hyung, you said that it's the season of giving. Non-believers like him need love as well."

"I don't mean it that way. You have to understand that we can't just bring non-believers back, else they'll reveal Papa to the world." Yongguk rubs at his own forehead, though the guilt is starting to chew at his strict expression. 

"We can have him drink Sleepy Cocoa right before we send him back. I just don't want to leave him here when he looks so sad," Daehyun begs. "You can sense his innocence, right? He doesn't seem like the type to reveal us even if he knows it's not a dream. You had faith in Himchan even though he didn't have much purity."

Yongguk bites his lower lip, fidgeting about. He gazes at the stranger's tearful face, the man rubbing at his tears and sniffling every now and then.

"You're not going to leave even if I say no, are you?" Yongguk exhales, stepping back from the window. Daehyun nods stubbornly.

Deliberating for a long while, Yongguk's heart ultimately gives in despite knowing the consequences of what they're about to do. This is exactly the reason why Yongguk tagged along for every of Daehyun's run—the younger has a good heart, like the other mini Santas, but he can be rather spontaneous at times.

"Fine," whispers Yongguk, regretting the sole syllable once it spills from his mouth. Daehyun breaks out into a radiant grin and pats the older man's back, Yongguk stumbling forward at Daehyun's strength.

"Himchan-hyung is going to be so proud of you, hyung."

Yongguk immediately blushes at the mention of his boyfriend. "Yeah, yeah. Look, we have to think of a plan of how to bring him home. He'll be freaked out to see us if we just ask him to get on the sleigh with us. I'll go get the Sleepy Cocoa-"

Yongguk stops at this moment, widening his eyes. "I forgot... I gave all of it to Himchan," he breathes.

The snow flutters past the empty, dimly lit corridor as the two Santas stand by the parapet wall. Daehyun his chin.

"There's the sticky candy cane we use for scaling windows. I brought along some dream pillows in case some children were having a hard time sleeping, too."

The two exchange looks, Daehyun thinking hard to himself.

 

--

 

Snivelling quietly to himself, Youngjae wraps himself up tighter in his only blanket, shuddering. It's a Christmas eve and he can hear the vague sound of carols all around, yet he's here curled up on the sofa, watching the television turn fuzzy every few seconds.

Christmas used to be his favourite holiday because he would write letters to Santa and get the gift he wanted. Once, it was the big plush dog Youngjae asked for so he would feel safe from the monster in his closet. The other time, he got a puzzle set for him and his friend to share. Of course, like all children, Youngjae grew to learn that Santa Claus wasn't real. His parents weren't one to hide the fact, telling him not to be silly and that the gifts by the mailbox were probably left by some charity drive that wanted to spread the festive cheer. 

It has been a few years since Youngjae has lived alone. He has weathered quite a lot since the start of the year, having been thrown out of the house after his coming out. With the meagre savings he had, Youngjae went away and rented a shabby apartment unit. It was quite terrible with the water pipes constantly jammed, the numerous pests scurrying around and how the electricity was frequently cut off, but Youngjae figured he could live with it. While his closer friends were more accepting, Youngjae could sense they were distancing themselves and were treating him like an alien. Feeling more alone than ever, Youngjae cut off contact with them and has been on his own ever since.

Youngjae can deal with his run-down apartment, but after these few years living by himself, he's been feeling more lonely as time goes by. He's afraid of making friends because of what happened and his scary landlady doesn't help either, always muttering curses under her breath.

He thought things couldn't get any worse, but they apparently can. He got fired from his job a month ago and has been doing back-to-back odd jobs for the holiday season. His rent is overdue, what with him being cut off from his steady source of income, and his stomach is grumbling after having eaten just a piece of bread today. Now, there's barely an hour left to Christmas, and he'll be spending it all by himself.

It's miserable. Youngjae lets another tear slip from his eyes and wills himself not to cry, watching re-runs of some Christmas movies on the television. It's hard not to feel sad when a few years ago, he had been watching these movies at a sleepover with his friends, munching on snacks together.

I brought this upon myself. Youngjae nestles his nose into his blanket, trying to think positively of the situation. The heater's broken and it's freezing cold, but at least he has a roof over his head for today. Sure, he'll have to move out tomorrow, but he has very little things to take with him, so it won't be a hassle.

Youngjae exhales softly, wounding his arms tight around himself. He trembles again, sobbing quietly. How nice would it be to drink some hot cocoa and have some cookies by a fireplace now. 

Honestly, Youngjae doesn't mind being cold and hungry. It's the loneliness that hurts the most. He misses the laughter and the warmth of his friends and parents. Maybe if he wasn't such a freak, he would still have them by his side. He wouldn't be living like this. He'd be having Christmas dinner at the dining table with his family instead and he'd go to bed warm and cozy.

It would be nice if he had a pet. Somebody to hold and who reminds him he's not all alone in a world of billions.

The movie splayed before him taunts him, showing a family huddled together happily. Youngjae smiles to himself, the remorseless nostalgia suffusing him.

"I wish I had someone to celebrate Christmas with," Youngjae breathes to himself. He chuckles, feeling stupid for his silly wish.

"What am I saying," he whispers, hugging himself tighter.

As the poor audio cracks over the speakers, Youngjae discerns a faint, persistent knocking after a while. At first, he thought it must have been something new that's leaking, but the sound is too blunt to be it. Youngjae purses his lips, hoping the pests from outside haven't invaded his house.

A louder knock resounds and Youngjae follows the noise, turning his head. He frowns at the small transparent packet of cookies floating outside his window, bewilderment grappling with the man. He squints harder to affirm it is a bag of cookies levitating outside his window and rubs his eyes a few times, reading the note.

Merry Christmas.

He must be dreaming. Youngjae rises, wondering if it's some prank that someone's pulling. He gets up and walks over to the window, pulling it open.

With his brows knitted, Youngjae looks around, seeing nothing amiss. He notices the light string tied to the top of the bag and glimpses up, unable to see anything due to the canopy on the roof. He's living on the highest floor so unless there's a secret Santa hiding on the roof, he must be dreaming.

Youngjae's stomach growls at this moment. Well, food is food. It may be a neighbour trying to poison him but he decides to believe in the goodness of the Christmas spirit, reaching out to take the cookie.

Nibbling, Youngjae easily finishes the cookies, his finger in delight at the sweet chocolate chips. He peers out the window in curiosity, calling out, "Um, thank you! It means a lot!" 

Just as Youngjae leans back, a large candy cane slowly reels down. Youngjae inclines forward and looks up. There's still no sign of the good samaritan.

Youngjae extends both hands and grabs the candy cane. When he realises just how sticky the candy, his hands are already stuck. He tries to pry his hands off desperately to no avail, panic setting in poignantly. It's either a prank or a really realistic dream. Youngjae hopes it's the latter.

All of a sudden, the candy tugs Youngjae outwards, the man widening his eyes. A scream slips from his lips as he tumbles over the ledge, shutting his eyes tight as he braces himself for the fall.

Contrary to the splat Youngjae expected, he instead plops into something soft, his legs folding as he looks around in fear. He feels around and discerns it to be a huge sack.

"Oh my god, I can't believe I let you talk me into this," a deep voice resounds. "I told you we should have just acted like salesmen and given him the dream pillows to use."

"It would have taken too long, hyung. Papa wants us back before midnight."

"Somebody, help me!" Youngjae screams, interruping the men's conversation. "A-Am I being kidnapped? P-Please let me go! I'm worth nothing!" 

He pushes frantically at the heavy fabric, trying frenziedly to escape. This is the worst night of his life. He's probably going to be held hostage till the kidnappers realise he's no use for any blackmail, and they'll get rid of him.

There's silence, other than the traffic sounds coming from below. Youngjae has no idea what happened but he has a feeling he's being dangled in the sky. Are they going to drop him?

"Say something," the lower voice hisses.

"Uh, uh... I don't know!"

"I'm never listening to you again," the deep voice once more chides. Whoever that is clears his throat and Youngjae hears a distant grunt, like that of a horse. Out of nowhere, bells begin to chime softly, Youngjae feeling the vehicle take off. Air rushes past Youngjae and the sensation of soaring through air engulfs him.

"Ah... We, um, don't mean any harm. My friend wants to bring you to some place that's warm and cozy."

Youngjae stills, his heart palpitating wildly and his imagination runs. They're taunting him and they're going to bring him to an old abandoned warehouse, tossing him into some stuffy room that's tiny and has no ventilation.

Youngjae screeches, pressing back against the dream pillows. A spell of sleepiness seems to tickle his eyes for a moment but his adrenaline forces him awake. "Help! Somebody help me!"

"He took it the wrong way!" The one with the higher voice (and a terrifyingly more boorish manner of speaking) exclaims. Youngjae squishes himself against the pillow, a vague bit of glitter sprinkling into the air. His head lolls as he struggles, sleepiness overwhelming the man.

"We're not going to hurt you. We promise," the higher voice continues, Youngjae fluttering his eyes shut to the scent of sweet vanilla as he falls into a slumber.

"We just want to make your Christmas wish come true."

 

--

 

"Oh god, we're so going to jail for this."

"Quiet, hyung. You're going to wake him."

"How are we going to tell Papa about this?"

"I'll take responsibility." Youngjae feels a hand brush away the hair out of his eyes, a soft breath dancing on his cheek. "He's so cute, hyung," the same voice whispers.

"Daehyun..."

Youngjae flutters his eyes open from a warm dream of butter fingers and coffee, flickers of two faces above him seeping into his vision.

"He's waking up, hyung!"

Youngjae blinks delicately, fingers clutching onto something soft. There's a strong scent of chocolate tickling his nose. 

It's strange. His body had been aching for the past month because he had sold the bed to pay the rent, sleeping on his small, tattered sofa every night. Yet, as he fully opens his eyes, he's not folded at an awkward angle and all the aches have dwindled away.

This feels so comfortable. Youngjae opens his eyes fully and takes in his surroundings, backing away at the sight of two men crouched over him. One is smiling warmly while the other has a look of anxiousness on his rather scary face, chewing on his lower lip.

"Hi," the one closer to him greets, eyes shimmering with an unbeatable radiance. He's dressed in a Santa costume, hat drooping on his head. Youngjae widens his eyes and backs away even further, breathing shallowly through his teeth. He remembers now—he'd been lured out by food and had been tied up in a sack.

"Please don't hurt me!" Youngjae pulls the blanket towards him, shaking in fear. "I-I have nothing to give you, I swear! Please let me go!"

One of the men reaches towards Youngjae, the man ducking instinctively with a squeak.

"Um," the fierce-looking man coughs, taking the glass of milk on the table beside Youngjae. He hands it over and settles on the floor cross-legged, staring up at Youngjae.

"This... will be very hard to explain but I want you to know that we're not bad people," the man assures. "My name is Yongguk."

He points to the other man standing over Youngjae. "That's Daehyun. He wanted to bring you here."

"Why?" Youngjae breathes, scooting further from the two and glimpsing up hesitantly at Daehyun. His eyes flicker over the entire room, the wooden walls painted light green with bright red silk ribbons and golden bells drawn over the sides of the wall. He presses down on his spongy bed, a huge polar bear plush lying by his side.

"I... heard your wish, so I brought you here to celebrate Christmas with us," Daehyun says, kneeling beside Youngjae and staring up with large, innocent eyes.

"But... who are you? How did you hear my wish?" Youngjae says softly, still warily looking between the two. Who would kidnap him in the middle of the night for a Christmas party? Were they stalking him?

"I'm... Santa," Daehyun explains, scratching the back of his head with a sheepish smile. "The building you lived in was the last place on my list. While I was passing by, I heard what you said, so I brought you back with me."

Youngjae stares at him before folding his lips in disbelief. The fear has him shifting back when Daehyun steps closer, unable to comprehend the man. What if he's unstable and dangerous? Youngjae bites his lower lip in fright.

"Please let me go," Youngjae breathes, misery settling in his tummy. He'd been having such a bad day, exhausted from his twelve-hour shift yet unable to sleep as his thoughts kept him awake. When the news of his landlady kicking him out reached him, he just wanted Christmas to never come. Not only would he be all alone, he would also have no roof above his head.

"I mean it. You probably don't believe me, but it's true." With how enthusiastic Daehyun sounds, Youngjae almost feels inclined to believe him, no matter how ridiculous the words he's spouting are.

"You're Santa," Youngjae repeats, fluttering his lashes. Daehyun nods fervently, eyes shining with eagerness.

Seeing the rather genuine reaction, Youngjae laughs a little to himself, clearing his throat and reminding himself that these people nabbed him and locked him in this place. Though, this place seems a lot comfier than his own apartment.

"Here, have some cupcakes," Daehyun offers, almost knocking the plate off the table with how excited he seems to be. "I promise I'll send you back home in the morning. I just want to fulfil your Christmas wish."

Youngjae his lips, debating on whether to eat or not. He takes the red velvet cupcake and thanks Daehyun softly, glancing over at Yongguk still sitting awkwardly on the floor. They really don't look like bad people, though they do seem a bit... wacky.

"What's your name?" Daehyun asks.

"Um, Yoo Youngjae. Nice to meet you."

He's being too nice to a bunch of people who kidnapped him from his window. Maybe they mean no harm and they're just a little weird and friendly in an overly forceful way.

"Do you really believe you're Santa?" Youngjae asks quietly, carefully trying the cupcake. "You can tell me if you're after something. I'm sorry but I really don't have anything on me."

Daehyun stares back at him before exchanging looks with Yongguk. So they're faking it, Youngjae huddles up in the blanket and watches the two cautiously.

"I really am Santa," Daehyun states, adjusting his hat. "I can prove it to you, but you have to promise not to tell anyone what you've seen. Okay?"

Youngjae lets out a small exhale and nods, the childish part of him for some reason entertaining the thought that this could be real.

"Follow me," Daehyun hums, walking to the door and beckoning Yongguk over as well. Yongguk holds the door knob as Youngjae shuffles over, shrinking back slightly when Daehyun places his hands over the man's eyes.

The door hinges creak open and in floods the noise of jingles and squeaky voices, miscellaneous sounds too many to identify. Daehyun pulls his hands away and Youngjae pries open his eyes, stopping short.

What greets him is the sight of a large hall. Food of all sorts are laid out on the many tables in the hall, a lovely concoction of roast turkey and sweet caramel wafting Youngjae's senses. The pillars along with the floor is of polished wood, a warm, bright light falling upon the hall against the heavy snow drizzling outside. There's a gargantuan, sparkling Christmas tree standing proud and tall at the end, stacks of wrapped gifts piled neatly at the bottom of it.

The most astonishing thing is the little children sitting at the tables, clad in beautiful, emerald attire to resemble elves. They indulge in their feasts delightfully, heartily chatting with one another. One of them nearly stumbles into Youngjae, the boy with thin eyes and a toothy grin beaming at Youngjae.

"Be careful, Jongup," Yongguk reminds gently, patting the boy's hat. He has oddly pointy ears and is holding a chocolate bun in his hand, half of it eaten.

"Okay," Jongup bubbles, running over to a taller boy with huge eyes and a puppy-like look to him. He gives the boy his bread, the two cutely smiling to each other.

"Are these all... children?" Youngjae stammers, his imagination running wild with all the things he's seen on the news. He then notices a few of these small people carrying cups of cocoa, all of them aged with white beards.

"No, some of them are adults. They're elves," Daehyun explains. "The adults are in charge of making gifts for the nice children all over the world."

"They're celebrating now since they've finished making all the presents," Daehyun provides mirthfully. "They're very hardworking people."

Youngjae blankly takes in the sight of the numerous elves in the large hall, trying to internalise Daehyun's words. Yongguk pulls Daehyun's sleeve and whispers something into his ear, Daehyun nodding in return.

"Let's go outside. I want to show you something else." Daehyun walks over to the side and opens up a cupboard, taking out a fluffy red and white jacket that looks exactly like his. He drapes it over Youngjae and buttons it up, taking the man's hand.

Youngjae tails the man out, still stunned by what he had seen. They go through a door out into the snowy expanse of only white, nightfall blanketing the place. They slosh through the snow and come to a stop outside a huge wooden door made out of oak trunks. Daehyun and Yongguk heave it open, revealing a crimson sleigh with stockings, golden bells and fresh garlands adorning the outline. Several reindeers stand proudly in front, an empty sack lying in the sleigh.

"Do you want to take a ride with me?" Daehyun asks, his eyes glimmering once again with that astounding spark.

Left rather wordless by the entire situation, Youngjae only nods, trying to process everything. What were those little people back inside the cottage? Were they honestly elves? Are... are they going to fly on this sleigh, like in the storybooks Youngjae used to read?

He's given no time to think as Daehyun nudges him into the sleigh, Youngjae stumbling onto the wooden bench. Daehyun the snout of one of the reindeers fondly and gets in with the man, pulling at the brown straps.

"Let's go!" Daehyun declares, the reindeers trotting out of the space. They trod through the snowy field for a long while, snowflakes breezing down onto Youngjae's cheeks while the sleigh is pulled along by the reindeers.

Youngjae steals a peek at Daehyun and wonders if the man truly believes they're flying or if he's just making fun of him. Even though Youngjae knows they haven't lifted off the ground even once, he still can't help but keep quiet when he sees just how gleeful Daehyun is. He himself had been a little hopeful but of course, he was merely being foolish by believing such tales could ever be real.

Nonetheless, this ride is soothing. He's never ridden in a sleigh before. Youngjae snuggles into the jacket, watching the reindeer trod around the cottage. He almost closes his eyes to relax but gets a surprise when the reindeer begins galloping.

The most stunning thing happens when Daehyun turns to him with a thousand-watt simper. The sleigh seems to tilt upwards and the sound of the footboard dragging along the snow halts. Youngjae grips on to the sides as his jaw slackens, the sleigh soaring into the air. The air abruptly whooshes past Youngjae's face and he feels everything become light, gravity leaving his soles.

"W-Wha-" Youngjae stutters, holding on for dear life as he watches the cottage become smaller and smaller. Adrenaline runs up his throat and he almost short circuits, watching as everything wanes and the gentle moon nears, snow peppering his hair.

"We're- we're flying?!" Youngjae spurts, his knuckles turning white from how hard he's grabbing the sides of the sleigh. He can't believe this. They're actually flying. It's not a gimmick—he can feel the air rushing past him and the reindeers are now galloping majestically through the sky, hooves touching absolutely nothing but the air.

It's a miracle. No, it's a dream. This can't be real. Next thing he knows, he's probably going to fall out of the sleigh and plunge into the snow with how unpredictable this dream is. It must be a dream; how can he seriously be kidnapped and brought to Santa's workshop!

A light touch falls over Youngjae's hand and he snaps his head back to find Daehyun with his lips upturned, placatingly squeezing his hand. "You won't fall out. This sleigh runs on magic dust and it'll keep you in."

Youngjae speechlessly nods, eyes darting from the tiny cottage in the distance and the night sky that spreads wide over them. Everything feels too real for a dream but Youngjae knows it's impossible. Maybe it's CG and it's all a projection? Or there are engines below? But he saw none of that when he boarded the sleigh.

Can it actually be real? Youngjae's heart swells with a bursting sensation as they swoop down back towards the cottage, his heartbeat doubling its speed and the shock slowly moulding into an undeniable thrill.

They land a little bumpily, the reindeers trotting to a stop outside the cottage. Daehyun alights and helps Youngjae out, Yongguk pacing up to them with arms folded.

"You drove so normally," Yongguk laughs, veering to Youngjae. "Whenever I'm on my run with him, Daehyun drives really recklessly."

Youngjae can only stare agape as he sinks into the snow once more, barely comprehending Yongguk's words. That was the most amazing thing he'd ever experience in his life. It must be a dream.

Youngjae pinches his arm and winces, Daehyun widening his eyes in alarm. He hastily grasps the shorter man and blurts, "Why are you hurting yourself?"

Yongguk guffaws in the backdrop as Youngjae, still flabbergasted, peers at Daehyun with his jaw slackened. Everything feels too real to be a dream. He ducks and inspects the sleigh hurriedly, running to the reindeers to get a better look. It's exactly like a normal sled, except for the Christmas theme.

"W-We just flew," Youngjae splutters brokenly, "into the sky... With a sled." He gazed wide-eyed at Daehyun and spews, "Are- are you really Santa?"

Daehyun nods confidently, another bout of sheepishness permeating his expression as he bites back an incandescent grin.

"S-So, Santa Claus is Korean?" Youngjae blurts. Yongguk almost doubles over in laughter as Youngjae pays him no heed, still shocked out of his wits. "And you bring gifts to people around the world?"

"Only Korea," Daehyun elaborates with a suppressed chortle, his mien melting into one of unexplainable infatuation, coupled with a salmon blush. Youngjae catches him whispering "cute" before Daehyun takes hold of his hand, pulling him inside.

"Papa, or who you know as Santa Claus, has helpers all over the world in every country. We're his children, and we help him give gifts to certain places. I'm the Santa this year for Korea," Daehyun fills in, his grasp warm and tight. Youngjae blinks in disbelief at Daehyun, only serving to stir another laugh in the man.

"Let me show you the workshop."

Leading him through a different door while Yongguk tails them, Daehyun shows off another massive hall, cozy and snug despite its hugeness. There are many tables where toys and building materials are scattered, almost like an art and crafts galore. There's glitter and glue, paint and brushes, thread and stuffing. Many fresh toys are scattered around over the tables and the carpets, a few hats and coats hung in the side that belong to the elves.

"Wow..." Youngjae breathes, melting into a smile of absolute wonder. He knows he should be questioning all of this but he can't help but believe everything Daehyun has just said. From the elves to the flying sleigh, everything can be real, right? Maybe Santa Claus is real and he brings gifts to children all over the world.

It is real. Looking at all these elves before him and the fact he'd just watch reindeers fly through the air, there's no doubt about it—or at least, that's what his childish heart says. So it wasn't just coincidence that he received a green bicycle for Christmas after writing a letter to Santa, neither was the duck plush toy Youngjae asked for to keep him company. All of it was done by Santa.

It's incredible. Youngjae peers around in enthralment and absorbs every inch of the workshop, colourful tools strewn all about. He belatedly notice Daehyun's hand still interlocked with his and quickly apologises.

Youngjae bounces on his heels like a little child who can't contain his captivation, wheezing airily, "Santa Claus is real. You guys actually go around giving presents to children. That's so amazing."

He meets Daehyun and Yongguk's eyes and starts softly, "But... why me? Should I be knowing all of this?"

Yongguk gesticulates to Daehyun, the man beaming blithely. "He wanted to make your Christmas wish come true."

Youngjae flushes, recalling his embarrassing words from just a while ago. So they really did hear him.

"You... brought me here so I wouldn't celebrate Christmas alone?" Youngjae whispers, curling his fingers bashfully.

A warm touch wraps around Youngjae's wrist and Daehyun tenderly pulls Youngjae with him. "Nobody should celebrate Christmas alone. We'll be your family today," he shares hearteningly, Youngjae's cheeks only reddening at the remark.

They amble into the dining hall, a few elves peering in awe at the newcomer. One of the elves with long hair and pretty eyes passes by with a grin, joking cutely, "Dae, are you hoping the same thing that happened to Yongguk will happen with you?"

"Of course not, Sunhwa," Daehyun mumbles, Youngjae confusedly walking with the two Santas who both seem flustered. Youngjae waves shyly at the elf and settles down at a table with Daehyun and Yongguk.

"What did she mean?" Youngjae asks, to which Daehyun and Yongguk avert their gazes furiously. 

"Sorry, I shouldn't pry," Youngjae says, wondering if it's some important Christmas matters. 

Daehyun hurriedly shakes his head. "No, it's not your fault. Sunhwa was just talking about Yongguk's boyfriend."

Youngjae tilts his head curiously as he runs through what Sunhwa had said. It's then that a plate of log cake lands on their table, several other dishes levitating through the air and plopping onto their table. Honeyed ham and cherry tomatoes, pudding, fudge cakes, strawberry tarts... A whole galore splays out over their table, similar to the rest. Wowed, Youngjae looks on as the plates serve themselves. Daehyun and Yongguk seem completely unfazed, the former staring at Youngjae with a lost look in his eyes. 

"There's just one more minute to Christmas," Yongguk chimes, twining his hands together as he peers up at the large grandfather clock. The elves are doing the same, eagerness lighting up their faces. When the second hand is just ten seconds away, a mesmerising, golden glitter materialises in the air in the shape of the numbers, everyone counting down together.

A sweet camaraderie wraps around Youngjae snugly and he shyly joins in. There are so many questions running through his head but he keeps them to himself, not wanting to bother them on such a joyous occasion. As the secondhand strikes twelve, confetti explodes over the dining hall and a gorgeous display of sparks light up the ceiling.

"Merry Christmas!" The voices cheer together in harmony, Daehyun and Yongguk celebrating especially loud. Daehyun immediately aims for the ham, slicing out a piece and placing it onto Youngjae's plate.

"Eat till you're full, okay?" Daehyun chirps, piling Youngjae's plate with more meat and vegetables. Youngjae nods, suppressing a simper as he digs in, hesitation fading fast as he indulges in the delicious delicacies.

"It tastes so good," Youngjae exclaims through mouthfuls, Daehyun laughing softly as he takes a large bite of his scrambled eggs. He scoops up some of it and feeds Youngjae gently, the man embarrassedly eating from the other's spoon.

"This is the first time I've seen Daehyun feed somebody," Yongguk guffaws, earning himself a light shove. "He always gorges down all the food first since that's the only thing on his mind."

Youngjae laughs along sweetly, munching his food as the fullness fills his tummy. It has been a long time since he has managed to eat so lavishly, having been lasting off pieces of bread. Now, he's sharing a meal with Santa Claus' helpers on Christmas. It seems so unbelievable but the warmth washing through him tells him it's not.

He feels wet warmth prick at his eyes and chews on his lower lip, trying to stop the tears from falling as he lowers his head. A finger lifts up his chin delicately and Youngjae sniffles, wiping at his falling tears.

"I'm sorry," Youngjae breathes, Daehyun's hands reaching over the table to dash away his tears. "It's just... I haven't gotten the chance to eat properly in a while."

Daehyun winds over and cups Youngjae's cheek, pulling out a hanky from his pocket to dab Youngjae's tears. "What happened?" He asks gently.

"I lost my job a month ago, so I haven't been able to pay for my bills. I was supposed to spend Christmas out on the streets, alone," Youngjae wheezes, glassy eyes flickering up to meet Daehyun's sincere ones.

"What about your family?"

"They... threw me out after I told them I... I liked boys," Youngjae croaks. Daehyun slowly winds his arms around the man and lets him rest his head on his shoulder, comforting him as he weeps.

"The adult world is so terrible," Daehyun exhales, anger lacing his words. "Why would they do that to you just because you like boys? Yongguk likes a boy too."

Youngjae nestles into Daehyun's heat, dearly missing the warmth of someone else. He hugs Daehyun tighter and breathes in his scent of spice and firewood.

After a while, Youngjae pulls away, embarrassedly squirming around. He must seem so desperate and pathetic, talking about his sob story to someone who's an amazing myth come true.

"I'm sorry; I shouldn't have said all of that. I'm ruining the Christmas spirit," Youngjae apologises, addressing both Daehyun and Yongguk. "I don't even have presents to give you guys even though you fulfilled my Christmas wish."

"You don't have to get us anything," Yongguk assures kindly. "We're Santas; we get happiness out of making people's Christmas wishes come true."

"Besides, you've already given Daehyun his present," Yongguk chuckles. Daehyun instantly widens his eyes, sending Yongguk a warning glare as a blush colours his cheeks.

"I did?" Youngjae flits his eyelashes and peers curiously at Daehyun.

"Yes. He wanted a Christmas gift this year and that was you."

Youngjae parts his lips in surprise. Daehyun groans and nearly drills his eyes through the other laughing Santa.

"U-Um, it's not what you think. I didn't bring you here because I wanted you. I-"

"He thought you were beautiful when he first saw you while we were passing by. We were going to leave but he found out you wanted company for Christmas, so that became his Christmas wish. To make your wish come true," Yongguk provides smoothly, nibbling on a fudge cake.

Youngjae flushes hard and his fingers curl on his thigh. It's rather ridiculous that he can't believe Daehyun thinks he's beautiful and would be such a kind person to do all that for him when he'd just learnt that Santa Claus is real.

"Um, thank you, Daehyun. It really means a lot to me. I haven't had company for a long time."

"We aren't allowed to bring non-believers back home but Daehyun was really stubborn," Yongguk continues.

"Then, I should be leaving," Youngjae exclaims in shock. He'd found it strange that he was brought to somewhere so magical that the whole world did not know existed. "I promise I won't tell. I'll go back this instant."

"No, don't worry. I'm sure Papa won't mind," Daehyun insists. He squeezes Youngjae's hand. "Let's eat together and I'll give you a better tour later."

"Are you sure?" Youngjae nervously questions. Before Daehyun can give a reply, a light touch snuggles against Youngjae's arm. Youngjae turns to find the little elf from before with small eyes, the elf holding out a handkerchief. Jongup adorably simpers up at Youngjae just as another child elf climbs up onto the bench, wiping Youngjae's face with his blue hanky.

"Don't cry," the elf blubbers, the two children insistently giving Youngjae their handkerchiefs. Youngjae smothers an affectionate laugh and takes them both.

"Thank you." He lifts up Jongup and seats him on his lap, the other elf plopping down on the empty space on the bench. Jongup burrows his face into Youngjae's chest and the golden bell on his hat chimes along.

"Junhong, Jongup, do you want some?" Yongguk questions, prodding over the bowl of cherry tomatoes. Junhong squeals, his grimy fingers taking one and stuffing it into his mouth.

"How old are they?"

"Jongup's four, Junhong's three," Daehyun says, thumbing some crumbs from Youngjae's lips. They stare softly at one another before Jongup tugs on Youngjae's collar, hugging the man.

"Fluffy..." Jongup mumbles into Youngjae's shirt as he clings on tight.

"Did Jongup just say you're fluffy?" Yongguk laughs while feeding Junhong more fruits. Youngjae affectionately combs through the boy's hair and kisses his forehead.

Daehyun pouts at this moment, cheeks blowing up as he looks away. Yongguk shakes his head while Youngjae confusedly glances between the two. 

"Nevermind him. Eat all you want, Youngjae," Yongguk offers. 

They simmer into a lovely conversation, the kids bubbling to each other about the food and extra toys from this year's gift making. They talk about Yongguk's boyfriend, much to Yongguk's embarrassment, who is an interior designer that noticed Yongguk for three years in a row before finally managing to confront him. Yongguk had screamed when Himchan pounced on him and grabbed his ankle, refusing to let go till the "creeper" told him the truth. He had criticised Santa's workshop as much too tacky, only believing Yongguk when he saw Santa Claus himself making toys.

Daehyun and Yongguk were both orphans who Santa Claus took in, and the spirit of giving blossomed well in them. Some of Santa Claus' children stay to help while others leave on their own to pursue their own dreams, like Yongguk. Many of them come back to visit, but usually not during Christmas, since that's when Santa Claus is the busiest.

Daehyun shows Youngjae around the workshop once more, having done the first tour hurriedly so they could make it in time for the Christmas feast. The two children elves tag along, Junhong and Jongup enthusiastically showing Youngjae how to make a teddy bear. Though they children are young and a bit clumsy, their stuffed animals still come out utterly cute with slightly lopsided eyes. The five of them make some souvenirs for Youngjae to bring home, glitter pelting their hands and some tickling Youngjae's nose. Daehyun brings him on another ride on the sleigh with the children and they jovially sing Christmas carols while soaring through the sky.

It's five in the morning when they settle back where they started, Youngjae realising he'd been sleeping in Daehyun's bed originally. He misses the looks Daehyun and Yongguk send one another, the two children clambering onto Youngjae and cuddling with the man. Though Youngjae struggles to stay awake, a strange spell has his eyes closing despite the wonder of everything he'd just witnessed. He feels Daehyun his cheek delicately and notices the disappointment punctured into his irises, but he can't remain awake long enough to ask why. 

The last words he hears melts away into a dream of sweet kisses and laughter.

"Don't forget us, Youngjae."

 

--

 

Youngjae wakes up to snow falling outside his window, the greased ceiling staring coldly back at him. He shifts, expecting to feel pain but none of it comes despite the awkward angle he'd been sleeping. As he awakes from his trance, he sits up fully, his vivid dream coming back to him. He looks around fervidly, expecting to see Daehyun and Yongguk by his side along with the two adorable elves, but his only company is silence.

A hefty disappointment settles in the bottom of his stomach and he lets out a soft sigh. Of course it wouldn't be real. There's no way Santa could actually exist. He chides himself for being so foolish and rubs at his eyes, groggily going to the bathroom to wash up.

Don't forget us, Youngjae.

Pursing his lips, Youngjae hopefully  peeks into the kitchen and out into the corridor, shoulders falling when he sees not a single soul.

It felt so real. Youngjae bites back the stark misery swarming his chest, reminding himself that it's obviously too good to be true. He's an adult; he should know better.

It was a nice dream, anyhow. At least that makes for a sweet Christmas present.

The sadness continues to prick at Youngjae's chest, the man giving himself a few moments to compose himself. It was too good to be true, but for some reason, it feels so hard to just let it go. The way Daehyun had touched his cheek, how Junhong and Jongup sat in his lap and showed off that they could count, how Yongguk blushed when talking about Himchan...

Were they all just a dream? Why does he remember it so vividly? If all of it is real, why did they leave him here without a word?

Because it's a dream. Youngjae stops himself from bargaining, reminding himself that he's got more important things to deal with than a dream.

Gingerly reaching for his phone, he's about to draft up a text to his landlady when he notices the unread message blinking on his screen.

Remember to pay your bills on time next month or I'll really kick you out. Merry christmas.

Youngjae's eyes enlarge in surprise and he hastily dials his landlady, happiness swelling in his chest. She must have let him off.

After a few rings, his landlady picks up, coughing into the phone. "What do you want?" She bites, her shrill voice pricking Youngjae's ear.

"Um, Ms. Choi, thank you so much for letting me pay later. I promise you I'll get both payments by next month!" Youngjae exclaims.

"What? Didn't you pay already?" The lady yells back in annoyance.

"Huh?" 

"You paid this morning! Stop bothering me! Calling me for stupid things..." The call abruptly cuts off, Youngjae staring agape at his phone. He's sure he didn't wire any money over. In fact, he just woke up, so it's impossible.

Maybe she was trying to be nice but didn't want to admit it. Youngjae scratches his head in bewilderment, dwelling for just a second before the doorbell rings.

Assuming it's a salesman, Youngjae opens the door, blinking at the man wearing a cap with a package in his arms.

"Package for Yoo Youngjae?" The man with such a familiar voice speaks, finally lifting his head. Youngjae's breath stops and his lower lip trembles, taking in the man's appearance. His strong nose, his large eyes, that mole beneath his left eye...

Youngjae's eyes roam down and he reads off the name tag. Damchu.

"Sir?" The delivery man calls, frowning slightly. Youngjae stammers for a moment before clearing his throat, nodding. His heart plummets into his guts tauntingly. He's much too attached to a dream.

"Um, I didn't order anything..." Youngjae murmurs, taking the package and signing the clipboard Damchu hands over.

"Are you sure, sir?" Damchu hums, cocking his head one side with a wide grin. "That must explain why you look so surprised to see me."

"Ah, actually, you look like someone I know," Youngjae chuckles, eyelids falling as he gives Damchu back the clipboard. It obviously is just a coincidence; how can he actually believe that Santa Claus exists?

"Oh? And who would that be?" The man asks, ticking off several things on the clipboard.

"His name is... Daehyun," Youngjae churns out softly. He shakes the parcel lightly and bows to the man, about to turn away when he speaks again.

"Who's Daehyun?"

"He's a very kind man," Youngjae whispers, laughing quietly to himself as he recalls his dream. "He says he's Santa."

"And do you believe him?" Damchu muffles a chuckle, pocketing his pen.

Youngjae pauses for a moment before bringing up a small smile. "I do."

He steps back to close the door when the man takes off his cap, taking Youngjae's hand.

"You believed," the man exhales, a look of utmost relief crossing his face. He turns behind and yells, "Okay, you can come in, guys!"

The noise of pattering footsteps reosound through the corridors before Youngjae is tackled by two children, ears pointed and with toothy grins. 

"Jongup? Junhong?" Youngjae blurts as he hastily gets onto his knees, peering at the two elves who happily pounce onto him.

"Hyung!" Jongup wrings his arms around Youngjae's shoulders and Junhong nestles into Youngjae's chest, Youngjae peering at them in astonishment. It's real. His dream was real, which means...

Looking up, Youngjae feels his eyes  start to water as Daehyun smiles softly down at him. "You're not a dream," Youngjae whispers, getting up and hugging Daehyun tight.

"Papa says you can come visit us if you believed in us," Daehyun says, wrapping his arms around the other man and pressing their cheeks together. They bask in each other's warmth as Youngjae sniffles, Daehyun the man's back comfortingly.

"You can even come home with us," Daehyun whispers. "There's great food and Papa will give you a nice room like mine."

"Really?" Youngjae question softly, his eyes filled with awe. Just as Daehyun nods fervidly, an unknown man with the most porcelain face Youngjae has ever met steps in at this moment, surveying the house with knitted brows.

"Needs a lot of work," the man comments, lighting up when he notices Youngjae in Daehyun's embrace. He shoves Daehyun aside as the Santa yells in anguish, nearly falling over. 

"Hi. I'm Himchan. My boyfriend's probably told you about me by now." He shakes Youngjae's hand firmly as Yongguk paces in, waving to Youngjae with a gummy grin.

They settle down in the living room as Youngjae pries open the box, revealing many pretty Christmas decorations. Himchan instantly takes charge, instructing Yongguk to put them up.

At the bottom of the box lies several plush toys Youngjae recognises to be the ones Junhong and Jongup made. It's sitting on a knitted sweater, the heart with the word Jae a little crooked but still adorable. Below it is a fluffy pillow Yongguk had explained helped the children sleep if they had nightmares, signed with Yongguk's name at the corner. Daehyun immediately pulls out the sweater, comparing it to Youngjae's shoulders and nodding in satisfaction.

Putting it on for the man clad in just a thin shirt, Daehyun brushes Youngjae's hair back, melting into a delicate smile.

"Do you like your present? I stayed up to make it for you," Daehyun chirps, his unwavering gaze making Youngjae flustered. He lowers his voice and continues, "You look so beautiful."

Youngjae's eyes flicker to the floor in shyness and he returns, "I do. It's really pretty." He plays with the seams of his loose sweater, admiring the effort put into the clothing. "Thank you for the gift, but... I don't have anything for you." 

"It's okay. I'm happy to see you're happy," Daehyun confidently declares, Youngjae simmering into sweet laughter.

Just then, Jongup toddles over and places a red ribbon on Youngjae's head, the boy smiling from ear to ear. Youngjae turns back and blushes when he catches Yongguk's hinting stare, Himchan chuckling along.

He wanted a Christmas gift this year and that was you.

Biting his lip, Youngjae hesitates for a moment before leaning forward, pressing a shy kiss to Daehyun's lips. Yongguk's abrupt cheer quickly goes muffled as Himchan chides the man for ruining the moment.

Daehyun flits his lashes, surprise written all over his face as he gazes at Youngjae. The latter momentarily regrets his decision, heat engulfing the poor, embarrassed man, when Daehyun tilts his head forward.

He kisses Youngjae once more, innocence weaved into their chaste peck. Daehyun and Youngjae part with soft smiles as the gentle snow breezes by the window.

"Merry Christmas."

 


A/N: I'm sorry guys ;___; This was really rushed because I wrote this while I was on my vacation AAAAH. I lost the original doc that I wrote for this that I was hoping to post punctually this year (since I missed last year) and PLANS WERE DASHED T_T I promise I'll edit it later!

I wanted to finish it on the 26th since i only had the ending left but im such a lezy sloth OTL. hay at least it's december HAHAHA

I hope you guys had a great Christmas and a happy holiday! Have an amazing 2017 filled with love, fun and happiness and always be healthy and safe <3

Thank you @altiz2001 for the artwork below!!! IT'S SO CUTE; it's an accurate representation of daejae HAHAHAHAHA