Your Voice

Your Voice

Jung Daehyun sat alone at his table sipping at his iced coffee whilst he looked back on how his life had changed so much in the past few weeks. He could hardly believe that he had actually moved to Seoul from Busan where he had lived all his life up until now. He missed his parents and his parents had been sad to see him go, but they supported Daehyun completely in his dream to become a singer and had been overjoyed for their son when he had received a scholarship for the music course at Seoul National University. Daehyun smiled wistfully to himself as he thought about his parents and wondered how they were doing.

I should call them soon.

Then he began to think about his new roommates, Yongguk and Junhong. They were great, the best friends that Daehyun could have asked for considering that he was too shy to actually start a conversation with anyone himself due to his distinct accent.

Yongguk was majoring in composition at the same university as himself. He looked pretty scary (especially when he opened his mouth, his voice was like a dark cave, it was that deep) but Daehyun had soon learnt that he was actually just a complete softie at heart (particularly for Junhong) and that he owned a Tigger plushie which was always fun to cuddle with. He was the kind of friend you could always rely on for sensible advice and get to do favours for you in emergencies. Daehyun was glad to have a friend like him to lean on, especially to stop him from getting lost within the city which he was still getting to know. Then there was Junhong. He was majoring in rap and also doing a course on dance (because he was just that good at it) but he was probably the most excitable person Daehyun had ever met. If Yongguk was someone he could rely on, then Junhong was the person that would always ensure that Daehyun was still having fun. He was always dragging him out to try some other new fun thing that he had discovered, and although Daehyun complained a lot, secretly he was happy that he had friends to go out and have fun with. Also he could never say no to Junhong anyway because then he would start pouting and being cute and blinking his eyes and he would bring out the puppy eyes and, seriously, how was someone meant to say no to that face?

I’m so lucky to have such great friends.

Suddenly, there was a loud crash as an employee dropped a tray on the floor. He hurriedly picked it up before sheepishly apologising to everyone, his face bright red. Daehyun, startled out of his deep stupor, finally realised that his cup was empty and chucked it into the bin (it was disposable) before leaving the café.


♡ ~ 

Daehyun had just left his third lesson, the lesson before lunch, when a black-haired male with a suggestive smile approached him.

“Hey, Daehyun, right? I’m Kim Himchan, it’s nice to meet you!” the guy, Himchan, introduced himself. He stuck out his hand, his smile widening on his bright face.

“Y-Yes, I’m D-Daehyun. Nice to meet you too,” Daehyun stuttered, shaking Himchan’s hand nervously. He was slightly confused about what was happening, and more importantly, why it was happening.

“You’re majoring in singing, aren’t you? I’m majoring in acting,” Himchan rattled off.

“I bet you’re really good,” Daehyun put in politely. He wasn’t lying though. He hardly knew this guy but from the exaggerated way in which he moved and talked, Daehyun could imagine how amazing he would be at acting.

“Oh, stop it Daehyunnie,” Himchan smiled, evidently pleased, and the nickname causing Daehyun to turn bright red. Daehyun opened his mouth, to say what he didn’t know, when Himchan cut in, “Oh, there’s my boyfriend Jonguppie. Gotta go, see ya!” Daehyun watched Himchan walk off with his boyfriend, Jonguppie or something like that. He was smiling so widely that he looked like an angel minus the glowing halo.

When the couple disappeared from his sight, Daehyun strolled towards the music rooms. Now that it was lunch, he wanted to practise a new song he was learning for an upcoming performance. However, it seemed as if many others had had the same idea since there were no empty music rooms. Daehyun gave up and leaned against the wall, sighing to himself. After he closed his eyes to privately contemplate on what he would do next, he heard… he heard the most beautiful sound ever.

Tell me everything you need

Tell me everything you want

I’ll grant everything

Tell me anything you want

I’ll do everything

You, who are the only one for me

 

He heard an angelic voice softly crooning a song of heartfelt love and emotion, accompanied by the sweet melody rising from the black and white keys of the piano. The voice was like the first snowflake falling from the winter sky, the first spring flower blooming, the faded but glowing sky as the sun set… Listening to this beautiful voice, Daehyun wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry or to just do both at the same time. Then the heavenly voice disappeared. Daehyun’s eyes shot open in desperation, willing it to return. And it did. As he listened, Daehyun could feel his heart beating right out of his chest, the thoughts swirling around his head all at once. Was it possible to fall in love with someone without ever seeing their face? Daehyun thought it was. In fact, he was the living, breathing proof of it.

Overcome with a sudden desire to see the face of the owner of such a lovely voice, Daehyun found himself opening the door of the room which the beautiful voice was floating from. Immediately the singing stopped. Daehyun found himself staring at the most adorable person he had ever seen. The male seemed to be younger than him, although not by much. He had the roundest, cutest cheeks Daehyun had ever seen and his large, brown, doe-like eyes seemed to reflect Daehyun’s soul in them. He was just, well, perfect.

“Umm… hi? Did you need something?” the angel asked.

Daehyun realised then that he was openly staring into the angel’s eyes. He blushed, turned around and ran for his life.


~ ♡ ~

Daehyun watched the golden leaves float gently to the ground through the window of his room as he tried to concentrate on learning his new lyrics. But he just couldn’t. All he could picture were large, chocolate brown eyes and soft, rose-pink lips. He closed his eyes in frustration but the angel’s face was engrained onto the back of his eyelids. He had been all Daehyun could think about lately. The past few days had flown by in a daze, with Daehyun endlessly visualizing the angel and remembering his sweet and melodious voice. Yongguk and Junhong had noticed that there was something strange going on with Daehyun, but when they had asked Daehyun merely replied with “Too much homework.” After many failed attempts, they had given up and hoped that maybe he would just get over it himself. Meanwhile, Daehyun was beating himself up for acting like a complete idiot in front of his new crush. He recalled the confused look he had received after barging into the music room and banged his forehead against his desk, letting out a frustrated groan.

I’m such an idiot.

Such an awkward idiot.


~ ♡ ~

Daehyun sipped at his iced coffee, swirling the contents around in his mouth as he savoured the bitter but rich taste of the dark coffee. Lately Junhong and Yongguk had begun to get a bit, well, more like a lot, curious about why Daehyun had suddenly been acting so distant the past few days. They had fallen into the habit of bombarding Daehyun with questions whenever they saw him (it was mostly Junhong) and so Daehyun had escaped into the retreat which was this café, Magic Bubble. Lost in though, Daehyun was oblivious to the fact that someone had walked up to his table and was waiting for him to notice, until that someone cleared their throat in an attempt to grab Daehyun’s attention. Immediately his head shot up and when he saw who was standing there, his mouth grew dry, his heart began to beat uncontrollably fast and his palms became slick with sweat.

“Hey, can I take your order?” he heard the sweet voice ask him. Daehyun stared back at him dumbly. “Wait, aren’t you the weird guy from the music rooms?” Daehyun watched in awe (just to prove how weird he really was) as the angel flushed, tinting his round cheeks with a soft pink blush.

“I don’t mean ‘weird’ in a bad way or anything like that. I mean, you’re really handsome, not weird at all.”

 

Oh my god. He thinks I’m handsome.

 

As Daehyun continued to stare at the other blankly, he suddenly remembered that he hadn’t actually replied yet when the angel repeated his first question. Catching sight of the café logo on the apron that the other was wearing, it finally sunk in that his angel was an employing working at that café. Also pinned on his apron, Daehyun noticed a nametag which said Youngjae.

 

What a pretty name. Just like him…

 

Youngjae repeated his question again, for the third and final time, causing Daehyun to open his mouth, willing it to form comprehendible words, only for him to close his mouth when he realised that he didn’t actually know what to say. He ended up looking not unlike a suffocating goldfish, his face a bright shade of crimson. Daehyun found himself completely unable to come up with the words to tell Youngjae that he had already ordered “but thank you anyway”. And so Daehyun did what Daehyun did best. He ran away.


~  ♡  ~

Daehyun was lazily flicking through the channels on the television, trying to distract himself from, well, life in general. He was aware of Junhong’s inquisitive gaze on resting on him but persistently ignored it. Finally Junhong could no longer stand Daehyun’s silence and pushed him over. Daehyun glared at him, brushing the imaginary dust off his clothes.

“What was that for?” he mumbled, annoyance clearly tinging his muffled voice.

“Tell me what’s wrong with you,” Junhong demanded.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Daehyun replied nonchalantly, diligently avoiding Junhong’s infuriated stare.

“Yeah and I’m secretly a princess from a parallel dimension where people can fly,” Junhong retorted, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “So come on then, spill.” When Daehyun didn’t reply, Junhong puffed out his cheeks, clasped his hands together and blinked cutely in a way which he knew no one could deny. “Pleeeease Daehyun hyung…” Daehyun sighed. He tried. He really did try to resist. But that face. How could he say no to that face?

“Fine, I’ll tell you. Just don’t laugh, okay?”

“Yay! Wait, you can’t start yet.” Daehyun opened his mouth to ask why but Junhong beat him to it. “YONGGUK HYUNG GET DOWN HERE. DAEHYUN’S GOING TO TELL US WHY HE’S BEEN ACTING SO WEIRD LATELY.” Daehyun started to hotly deny what Junhong had just said but Yongguk was soon in the room and the two of them were waiting rather impatiently for him to start talking. Daehyun sighed again before reluctantly beginning his explanation.

“So… Well… There’s this guy…”

“Yes…?” Junhong encouraged him, eyes wide and eager and leaning forward so much that Daehyun thought that the younger would fall into his lap any second now.

“I-I met him at Magic Bubble, you know that café I always waste time at because they have the best iced coffee and their bubble tea is to die for. Figuratively, of course, because if you actually died you wouldn’t be able to drink it which would be really sad. Hey, you should come along some time! They have some new dishes and they are absolutely delicious...” Daehyun saw Yongguk raise a bushy eyebrow at him from behind a glaring Junhong and quickly got back on track. He decided not to mention seeing Youngjae in the music rooms, because in retrospective the whole falling in love with someone’s voice was a bit embarrassing, especially to admit out loud.

“Anyway, so I met this guy, well I say ‘met’ but we haven’t actually had a proper conversation together, and he works at the café, and his name is Youngjae, and he’s absolutely beautiful and completely adorable as well, and I think I have a small crush on him,” Daehyun spilled out all in one breath, sighing in relief when he had finished because it actually felt good to vent a bit and to tell his friends why he had been acting strangely lately.

“…I think you have a lot more than a ‘small’ crush on him,” Yongguk chuckled in his baritone voice. Daehyun would have retaliated in denial but he was busy being slightly wary of Junhong who was looking just a bit too gleeful for Daehyun’s liking.

“Aww! Our Daehyunnie has a crush!” Junhong cooed, with what Daehyun would have sworn was an evil glint in his eyes. “So when can we meet him? We are going to get to meet him, right?”

“W-Well, umm….”

“Give the guy a chance, Junhong, they haven’t even met properly themselves yet,” Yongguk interrupted with an amused look on his handsome face, giving Daehyun a chance to actually breathe because Junhong was almost suffocating him with all of the questions. Then Yongguk leaned over to Junhong and whispered something into his ear, causing Daehyun to nearly faint with paranoia.

“Really?!” Junhong gasped, a wide grin covering his face. Yongguk nodded in return, a faint smile ghosting at his lips.

“Care to tell me what the two of you are gossiping about?” Daehyun inquired, half sarcastic, half wanting an actual reply.

“Nope,” the two of them replied in unison, exchanging knowing glances.

Daehyun sighed.

So much for getting advice.


~  ♡  ~

Daehyun was packing up his books at the end of the lesson when Himchan and Jongup approached him, the smile on Jongup’s face as wide as ever and a suspicious smirk resting on Himchan’s face.

“Hey Daehyun!” Himchan greeted him cheerfully, Jongup also waving at him from behind Himchan.

“Hi,” Daehyun returned rather shyly. Although they had talked a couple of times, Daehyun still didn’t really know either of them very well and still felt a bit awkward around them. The three of them walked towards the canteen together in a comfortable silence until it was broken by Himchan.

“So… I hear that you have a crush on a certain someone,” Himchan started, raising his eyebrows. Daehyun’s jaw fell to the ground.

How does he know?

Himchan laughed at the stunned look on Daehyun’s face before patting him on the shoulder.

“Don’t worry, we won’t tell anyone,” Himchan promised, throwing a wink towards Daehyun.

“H-How do you know about it?” Daehyun stuttered, still in shock.

“Yongguk told me. He knows that me and Jongup are good friends with Youngjae so he was hoping that we could ‘work a little magic’ for you, if you will.” Himchan’s words were emphasised by Jongup sagely nodding along on the other side of Daehyun.

“Wait, you know Yongguk? And you know Youngjae?! You’re his friends?! How come you never told me?!” Daehyun rattled off all his questions one by one, his eyes open wide with disbelief.

“I guess it just never came up, y’know,” Himchan shrugged, arms swinging by his side.

Daehyun spluttered incoherently as he tried to think of something, anything to say.

“Will you introduce us properly? Please?” Himchan’s nod in confirmation was enough to completely brighten up Daehyun’s day, even though he still hadn’t finished his seven page essay on how pitch had altered through the ages.

It was due in next period.


~  ♡  ~

Daehyun sat alone at his table at Magic Bubble, nervously adjusting the grey shirt which Himchan and Junhong had picked out for him. Apparently it matched his personality? Daehyun wasn’t sure what to make of that.

I’m so nervous… What if he doesn’t like me…?

Daehyun shuffled around in his seat, eyes searching for where Yongguk and Junhong were sitting. They, along with Himchan and Jongup, had insisted that they needed to come for ‘moral support’, although personally Daehyun thought that they just wanted to watch him make a fool out of himself. Nevertheless, he took in a deep breath and grasped at whatever shreds of courage were still lying deep, like really deep down, in him as Junhong sent him an encouraging thumbs up.

“Hey there, can I take your order?” Daehyun looked up to be greeted by the beautiful smile of Youngjae, mentally panicking, but on the outside displaying a look of calm and poise which he had practised with Yongguk back at home for about three hours.

“Umm… can I get an iced coffee please?” Daehyun asked softly, sending Youngjae a shy but sweet smile. To his surprise, Youngjae blushed a deep red, causing Daehyun’s heart to flutter around in his chest like a frenzied butterfly.

“S-Sure,” the younger stuttered. “Let me just get that for you.” He scurried away to the counter, leaving Daehyun to stare longingly at his retreating back. He was distracted by a not-so-subtle- cough from behind him, turning around to see Himchan openly mouthing the words ‘ASK HIM OUT ALREADY’. Daehyun turned back around to find himself staring at Youngjae again, who was holding his order in his hand.

Well, that was quick.

“Here’s your order,” Youngjae handed Daehyun the iced coffee, an adorably small smile resting on his lips. Their hands brushed ever so slightly, causing Daehyun to momentarily die inside.

“T-Thanks. Umm… S-Sorry about the other day. I didn’t mean to run off like I did. I was just… in a bit of a rush,” Daehyun mumbled, just loud enough for the other to hear.

“Don’t worry about it,” Youngjae laughed melodically. It was almost as beautiful as his singing. “Stranger things have happened in this café.” He grinned at Daehyun, who smiled in return. “I’m Yoo Youngjae by the way. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Yeah. I- I mean, Daehyun. I’m Daehyun. Jung Daehyun,” he finally managed to get out, after about ten years of stumbling over his words. To his relief, Youngjae didn’t seem to find it too weird and just laughed sweetly again. At this rate, Daehyun’s heart was probably going to beat right out of his chest. He didn’t think it was even possible, but his heart began to beat even faster when Youngjae pulled another chair over to Daehyun’s table before sitting down on it, turning so that the two of them were facing each other.

“You don’t mind, do you?” the younger asked cutely. Daehyun shook his head vigorously, not wanting the other to leave (although, wasn’t he meant to be working?) “Do you by any chance know why Himchan hyung and Jongup are staring at us, whilst pretending not to be here?” Youngjae asked, loud enough for the two who had been mentioned to hear. They had the decency to look embarrassed at least, although they stayed where they were and didn’t offer any explanation for their presence. However Youngjae was too busy staring at Daehyun who was blushing suspiciously. “So you do know! Go on then, tell me what’s going on here.”

“Well… You see…” Daehyun tried to think of a way to waste more time and put off the inevitable moment but then decided to just go for it. “I kind of have a crush on you.”

Wow. Way to be romantic.

Youngjae stared back at Daehyun, blinking owlishly. “Really?” he squeaked, his voice having risen about three octaves.

“Umm… yeah.” Daehyun could feel sweat gathering on his palms. It was kind of gross. “After I first met you in the music rooms. You have the most beautiful voice I’ve ever heard, you know. I was completely entranced by your singing. And then I saw you and I just didn’t know what to say. That’s why I ran off like that. I hope I didn’t come across as too creepy,” he added, causing Youngjae to chuckle slightly. “Then I saw you here at the café and… Well, I don’t really know, I just… I really like you, Youngjae. And I’d like to get to know you better. W-Would you go out with me? Maybe this Saturday?” Daehyun stared down at his lap, biting his lip in anticipation and steeling himself for rejection.

I mustn’t be too disappointed.

“Yes.” Daehyun looked up, joy clear on his face.

“Really?” he asked, disbelievingly.

“Yes,” the younger repeated, louder this time. “I kind of have a crush on you too,” he confessed shyly. “I’ve seen you around before but you never noticed me so I didn’t think anything would actually happen. Himchan hyung and Jongup knew about it which I’m guessing is why they’re here right now.”

So that was why Himchan suddenly wanted to be friends with me.

Daehyun scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. “Well I asked my roommates Junhong and Yongguk hyung for advice and the next thing I knew, Himchan hyung and Jongup were involved as well, and this whole thing had been organised.”

“Well, I’m glad. Because now I have a chance to get to know you and maybe become more than friends.” Youngjae laughed and Daehyun’s flaming cheeks before taking his hand in his own and leaning forward, softly placing a tender kiss on Daehyun’s cheek.

The two of them laughed at the cheers that erupted from their friends’ tables, Daehyun still floating somewhere high up in heaven. “Will you sing for me again sometime?” Daehyun asked Youngjae eagerly.

The younger smiled back brightly saying, “Only if you’ll sing for me too.”

“I’d love to.”

And I love you.

~  ~

So that's it! I hope whoever this was for enjoyed it (as well as the rest of you of course ^-^). I may do a mini fluffy sequel to this, I'm not really sure yet. We'll see how it goes~

Bye! <3