i .

The Im Family

Jaebum walked out of the shower, dressed in his brand new pajamas, the one Jinyoung had bought for him earlier that day. The latter giggled when he saw his husband pouting.

"You look cute."

"I obviously not. This pj's cute, if our sons wear it. But for me? I'm not saying I don't like it, but stars? Really? You could just buy the plain one." 

Jinyoung put down the book he's reading at the moment on his nightstand. He reached his hand out, signalling for Jaebum to come and sit by his side.

"I'm sorry. But it reminded me of you when I saw this. I don't know why, though. Maybe because you are my star?" He smiled. Jaebum let out a soft sigh, pecking Jinyoung softly on the lips. 

"What are you sorry for? It's fine. Besides, I do look cute in this, right?" He grinned. Jinyoung laughed. "You're the cutest."

Jaebum moved to his side of the bed, switching off the light on his nightstand, making the room glowed with light from Jinyoung's nightstand. He laid down, pulling Jinyoung close to his chest. The latter instantly wrapped his arms around Jaebum's abdomen, snuggling closer. They spent a few minutes in silence, Jaebum breathing in the scent of Jinyoung's shampoo and Jinyoung listening to Jaebum's calm heartbeat. They almost dozed off like that when suddenly the door to their bedroom creaked open. Jinyoung lifted his head to look at the door as Jaebum sighed. "Who is it?" He whispered at Jinyoung.

"Jackson, honey, are you okay? What's wrong?" Both the adults sat up on the bed, looking towards little Jackson who stood by the doorframe. "Come here." Jaebum got off the bed and took Jackson in his arms to bring him to the bed.

As he put Jackson between them, a wail was heard throughout the house. Jinyoung looked over at Jaebum, before springing out of bed, mumbling something about letting him see what happened with the two youngest.

"Daddy?" 

"Yes?" 

"I can't sleep." Jaebum turned his head towards Jackson, who was looking at him with big, innocent eyes. It's quite rare to see Jackson like this, he's always putting up a brave front even if he's not a bit brave at all. He won't let other people, even his parents, see him as weak. Jaebum would usually bragged that Jackson took that from him. 

"Do you want to sleep here tonight?" He Jackson's soft hair while smiling at him. Jackson's eyes shone with hope. "I really can, daddy?"

Jaebum nodded, and Jackson quickly hugged him tight while repeating 'thank you's and huddled closer to Jaebum's side. He continued to softly pat Jackson's back, waiting for him to sleep. He turned to look at the door as Jinyoung walked in, both the youngest in his arms. Bambam's eyes were puffy, and Yugyeom looked like he would pass out any moment. 

"What happened?" He asked Jinyoung, taking Bambam from him. The child relaxed in Jaebum's embrace, sniffling once in a while. "He told me he saw a ghost, or at least, that's what I understood from his babbling," Jinyoung said while putting Yugyeom to sleep in the crib in the room. Jaebum chuckled, humming a lullaby to Bambam to coax him to sleep. Jinyoung got onto bed, sighing. "There's three of them. I hope the other two will be fine." 

"I don't know, though. You can't expect anything." 

Jinyoung rolled his eyes. "Mark told me that someone bullied Youngjae in school today." He looked up at Jaebum, looking for any signs of anger. 

"What? How? Didn't the teacher do anything about it?" His brows furrowed as he strained his voice to keep it down, not wanting to wake Jackson or Bambam or Yugyeom up. "The teacher was somewhere else at that time. It was recess, and Youngjae was on the swing when someone pushed him off of it, because he wanted to get on the swing." 

"Really? Did Youngjae do anything about it? Say anything? Did he tell the teacher? What was Mark doing? Did he do anything to stop the bully?" Jinyoung took Jaebum's free hand, squeezing it softly and drawing circles with his thumb.

"Relax, sweetheart. Mark told the teacher, and she'd put the bully on a time-out. She'd also talked with his parents. There won't be any next time, she promised." Jaebum let out a sigh of relief. He made a mental note to teach Youngjae how to be brave and to stand up on his own. 

As Bambam's breathing evened, he took him to the crib and put him alongside Yugyeom, who was on his thumb. Jaebum pulled the covers on both of them, and took Yugyeom's thumb out of his mouth. The baby whined, but went back to sleep when Jaebum patted him gently. 

He let out a soft sigh, walking back to bed. Jinyoung had his eyes closed and he was snoring lightly. Jaebum was about to close the small lamp on Jinyoung's nightstand when he heard shuffling of feets and sobs from the other side of their bedroom door. The door was then opened to reveal their oldest son, Mark, who was holding Youngjae's hand, bringing him into the room. Jaebum didn't realize that Youngjae was crying until they came in closer to him. 

"Youngjae, what happened? Why are you crying?" As soon as the question been asked, the child sobbed louder and buried his face in his daddy's chest. Jaebum raised a questioning brow towards Mark, which the latter moved to hug Youngjae from behind, safely securing himself in Jaebum's arms too. 

"He had a nightmare. I tried to calm him down, but he won't stop crying. He won't also tell me what was his dream about. And he kept calling out for you, so I brought him here. Sorry to disturb your sleep, daddy." At this point, Jinyoung had woken up from his slumber, rubbing his eyes. 

"It's okay, Mark. Thank you for taking care of him." Jaebum pecked Mark's forehead, before Jinyoung called for him to climb on the bed next to him. The 6-years-old boy lied down next to a snoring Jackson, wrapping an arm around him while watching at his daddy's attempt to pull Youngjae away from him to ask him properly about his nightmare. 

"Hey, hey, stop crying. It's okay, I'm here. You'll be fine." Youngjae was reduced to a sniffling mess, as Jaebum turned to Jinyoung. "Can you look after him? I need to use the bathroom," he mouthed. 

"Youngjae, come here to papa. Tell me what's wrong." Jinyoung gestured for Youngjae to come to him, and the middle son obeyed. He was hiccuping, and Jinyoung his back slowly. He lifted him up to the bed and onto his lap, wiping the tears with his sleeves. Mark was fast asleep next to them, and Jinyoung glanced towards the crib, checking out the two youngest. Youngjae's breathing became regular, as Jinyoung kissed his tear-stained cheek. 

"Will you tell papa what's your nightmare about?" 

Youngjae inhaled a deep breath, looking at Jinyoung with glistening eyes. He nodded, pulling his knees to his chest as Jinyoung brought his head to rest near Jinyoung's heart. It worked, Jinyoung thought, the sound of his heartbeats calmed him down. 

"But papa, I don't really remember it." 

"What makes you cry then?" 

"W-well, there was something I remember..." 

Jinyoung hummed, encouraging Youngjae to continue his story. "I remember watching Daddy reversing the car from our porch...and then suddenly there's a truck...and it hit Daddy's car and Daddy..." he choked on his breath, a sob escaped his mouth.

"Daddy died..." He turned his whole body to Jinyoung and hugged him tightly. Jinyoung felt his shirt getting wet, and he looked up to see Jaebum closing the bathroom door, frozen at his spot. He assumed Jaebum heard the last part, too. 

"Shh, shh, it's okay. It's just a nightmare, sweetie." Jinyoung held his son's small body close. 

"But, I'm scared, papa..." Youngjae continued crying, Jinyoung rocking him in his lap as Jaebum came and sat with them. "Hey, Youngjae, come here." 

Jinyoung passed Youngjae over to Jaebum. The elder parent wiped his tears away, before cupping his cheeks and lifting his face to look at him properly. "Look at me, Youngjae. I promised you, I will never, ever, leave you guys. Never in my life. I'll be fine, you'll be fine, we'll all be fine. So don't you worry about it, okay?" 

"So we'll stay together forever?" 

"Of course! You'll stay with me, and Papa, and Mark hyung and Jackson hyung, and also baby Bambam and baby Yugyeom. So, you better be a good son, a good dongsaeng, and a good hyung to all of us, okay?" 

Youngjae grinned, and nodded enthusiastically. "Okay! I promise!" 

"Good boy. Let's go to sleep now, shall we?" Jaebum started picking him up, but Youngjae squirmed and held out his hand to Jinyoung. Jaebum let him go, and he went to hug Jinyoung. "Thank you, papa. Good night. I love you." He kissed Jinyoung's cheeks, and Jinyoung did the same.

"I love you too, honey. Sleep tight." Youngjae then crawled over his hyungs and laid down between Jaebum's place and Jackson. Jaebum and Jinyoung looked at each other before sharing a giggle. Youngjae clearly didn't want to sleep in his bedroom. Jinyoung wouldn't blame him either, their whole family were sleeping there in the same bedroom. After making sure Youngjae had his eyes closed, Jaebum put a hand on top of Jinyoung's.

"It's been quite a tough night, hasn't it?" Jinyoung smiled in return, placing his free hand on Jaebum's cheek. "It's fine, though. We've talked about these kind of things that could probably happened when we decided to adopt, right?" 

"Thank you, Jinyoung. For everything."

"No. Thank you." Jinyoung leaned forward and placed a kiss on his husband's soft lips. 

"How about sleeping right now? You looked half-dead." Jinyoung joked, and Jaebum accidentally laughed out loud, before covering his mouth and frantically looking at their sons to check if they're awake. Jinyoung slapped his shoulder, and pushed him towards his side of the bed. 

As Jaebum finally laid down, he let out a soft sigh. He turned to look at his sons, and Jinyoung who had wrapped his arm on Mark's and Jackson's abdomen. Youngjae tossed in his sleep, and turned to Jaebum. "Good night, daddy. I love you," he whispered.

Jaebum pecked his forehead, and pulled the covers on top of all of them. "I love you too, Youngjae." 

 

*

The sun shone through the blinds, effectively sending rays of sunshine to Jinyoung's eyes. He opened his eyes, and saw that everyone was still deep in their sleep. A smile made it way to his face, as he looked at how Mark seemed uncomfortable when Jackson hugged him too tight in his sleep, how Jaebum's arms became a pillow for Youngjae's head, and how Yugyeom had his limbs draped across Bambam's smaller body. Their soft snoring, the rise and fall of their chest, and the peaceful look on their face, free from any worries in the world. Had it been any other day, Jinyoung would've been yelling right now because the kids would be late for school, and Jaebum would be late for work. But right now, all he wanted to do was to treasure this moment and enjoy the quiet morning. 

And when he heard Bambam's whining from inside the crib, he looked over and saw Bambam's little fingers holding on to the edge to support his legs. 

"Papa." And he grinned.

And Jinyoung decided he wouldn't want this family in any other way. 


A/n : you can guess who my bias is lmao (or not) 

Write down your comments! I would love to interact with you guys!