// chapter 2 ;

Just Right

 

 

// chapter 2 ; Tipsy Kisses and Sober Lies
warning : small cameo of jimin (bts), alcohol use, and implied - maybe


 

“ You’re stuck in a white painted room, wrapped in a bind
 
  Your eyes are covered, blinded”

 

After that comment Jaebum had made towards the other, the next day was played off as if nothing was never said. The two of them went to the coffee shop, bought their coffees and went over to the bus stop. The conversation that was made was fairly normal. Of course it was filled with Jinyoung's snarky remarks, that deserved a slap each time. He didn't mind it too much as he tried to make a comeback but that didn't really work out. Right as they were about to part from getting off the bus and to their own classes, Jinyoung had said. “Jealous much? Who says it was a date anyways.”

 

I take back what I said, he's a complete .

 

---

 

A few months past and there were a just a couple of more weeks until Christmas. He’s got no one to spend it with. Even though there’s always Youngjae, he didn’t want to bother the younger male. Besides that damned holiday there was this ‘dinner’ event at the college he attends. Jaebum isn’t one to go to these events, and if there’s a dancing floor, he’s that person that sits on the side. Finals got him bad, so what was the point? He doesn’t need the distractions.

 

Though, for this ‘dinner’ event, the dance kids were going to put on a ‘christmas’ show which basically makes the guy force to go. Yay for me. Jaebum was stuck in the dance room practically all of afternoon. There was a whole new final’s week(s) schedule for it as well. Luckily, he was able to work out when to go in for testing, practice, and work.

 

The cafe he worked at always opened at five in the morning and closed at ten at night. With a little persuading, he was able to work the morning shifts until he went over to school. Jaebum didn’t see Jinyoung for the whole time besides during that one class he has with him twice a week. Instead of coffee, the male relied on energy drinks. He knows for sure his life is going to be cut short now.

 

If someone were to get a look at Jaebum, they probably wouldn’t even notice a thing. Well, besides that his skin was practically too pale to be called fair, and that his eyes had bags under his eyes. It just made him look a bit more ‘stern’ looking as what Jinyoung would like to say. Even though the two of them wouldn’t meet each other in the morning for their usual coffee, for some ungodly reason, the male would always wait for the younger one to come back to the apartment from wherever he was coming from.

 

It was Jaebum’s last final that he took for the semester and boy was he glad. No more testing, just practice and work. Whenever he was in the class taking a test, everyone’s thoughts made him distracted. Each and every person was either internally beating themselves up or just, beating themselves up. Did he want to do that as well. He wonders how well he did on the tests to not have to make it up.

 

Practice was cut short from the instructor saying that since the big day was on Saturday and it was thursday, they were going to go at it from the beginning to the end of the day on Friday. It was their last day of the semester and it was break the next. The room was filled with chests heaving up and down, light pants released. Everyone had just weakly cheered from being informed. As everyone made their way out, there was one thing Jaebum had to master before being content.

 

If it was anything that he was passionate in, it was his ocd on dancing. The instructor made him one of the three main dancers that would be in the front during their performance. He has no clue why the guy made him one of them but it meant something doesn’t it?

 

Jaebum stared at himself in the mirror, beads of sweat falling at the sides of his head. He moved his shoulders in a slow movement, lifting his right and left in a sensual way, rolling his hips at the same pace before moving his feet  at a one-two step.

 

Head bobbing before he moved his body and in a blink of an eye, he was holding his body up with one hand, the other following suit. Tank top falling, hands twisted in a way to make his body spin. He knows that if he s up now, he’ll be injured. The male stayed up like for a moment, before rolling his body down to the ground and getting up.

 

His hands shook, pants were heavy. Too focused on himself before he heard clapping in the background. The sound made Jaebum turn his head to the direction it was coming from quite quickly. He looked at the one that was leaning against the wall that has a smirk playing on his lips.

 

“You’re quite good. Guess Jackson was right, huh?” the male that spoke, what was his name? Jimin? He was one of the other main dancers though. “Sorry, let me let me introduce myself. Even though we’re in the same thing and all, you probably don’t know my name anyways right?” Jaebum narrowed his eyes slightly but made a nod anyways. “Jimin. I haven't been able to attend the past few practices because of finals. You know how that goes” Jimin let out a dry chuckle before pushing himself off the wall.

 

Jaebum let the other talk and made a few more nods anyways and walked over to his bag. He looked at his phone and was able to see the time. There was a few more hours before work. Where did the time go? He slipped his hoodie on and swung his bag over onto his shoulders. “Sorry to cut this short but I have to go-” he said as he made his way to the door. Before he even made a step out, a hand was on his shoulder. With a light squeeze on it, Jaebum turned his head to look at Jimin who was looking straight at him.

 

“Better be on your toes and hands. Don't want you to slip.”


 

---

 

Work went by a breeze. It was more crowded than usual with the whole ‘sale’ going on with the pastries. Mark’s mom didn’t want anything to go to waste, plus it was a holiday special. Mark wasn’t working so it was just Jaebum and her working the night.

 

Jaebum was wiping the tables as he heard the door open, his eyes took a quick look in that direction, not catching who it was but it was a male. “Welcome,” He said, pushing the chair in and walking back over to the counter. He stood in front of the register and watch the figure walk up to him. Slowly, the features were starting to show, and he figured out who it was. Ms. Tuan wasn’t in at the moment saying she had to go run a quick errand so he had to watch over the place.

 

A smile was on Jaebum’s face, trying not to look too fake. Customer service. Was what he always has to follow no matter who it was. “What can I get for you today?” He asked, looking at a Jinyoung with an eyebrow raised.

 

Jinyoung rested his elbows on the counter and folded his hands together. “You’re so friendly. Now can’t you be like that to me when we talk as well?” He asked, resting his chin on his hands, tilting his head to the side a bit.

 

Jaebum wasn’t falling for that and his smile faltered, scoffing. “If you’re here to flirt, go flirt with someone else. I’m busy don’t you know?” Eyes narrowed and he crossed his arms.

 

Jinyoung looked at the back of him, a few girls were sitting down at tables, chattering a storm away. Besides that, there was no one else in line. “But there would be no point since my focus is on you” he said, voice getting a bit too high to get the other people’s attentions.

 

You’re kidding right? Soon, the girls inside were taking a few glimpse at the two, talking in a hush-like tone. But their thoughts were loud as ever, like thunder clapping in his head. “Jinyoung, order something or I’m going to have to ask you to leave” Jaebum said sternly, getting the notebook in his hand and pen in the other.

 

Sighing in defeat, the male nodded his head. “What do you recommend?”

 

“Cinnamon rolls, and lemon bars..”

 

“Are these all handmade by scratch?”

 

“Yes.”
 


“What’s your favorite?”

 

“None.” Jaebum may be the chef in the place, but it didn’t mean he liked anything he made. It was just to cater to what the customers would like. Besides, sweet things were not his cup of tea. “Lately though, our cinnamon rolls are our best seller.”

 

“Are they fresh?” Jinyoung smirked.

 

Irritated, Jaebum had squinted his eye before cracking a smile. “Of course, how else would I make it?” The way he sounded was as if he were offended. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn’t. “We make fresh batches of everything we sell.”

 

“Then I’ll get mini cinnamon rolls that come in three” Jinyoung said with a nod, taking his wallet out, giving the exact change.

 

Flabbergasted, Jaebum took the money and put it into the register, closing it. “You may take a seat, I’ll bring out the rolls afterwards.”

 

Carefully rolling the pastry up, cinnamon and sugar sprinkled all over, he placed the rolls into one of the mini ovens that the kitchen had. In the meantime, quickly, Jaebum was starting to make the icing. It was quiet in the back, but the silence wouldn't be too golden without the expression on his face he held and thoughts that we're going through his mind. Basically just trash talking the other man while mixing the powdered sugar together with the liquids.


 

Ding. The oven went. Quickly, taking the tray out and placing it on the table. As he did that, the mitten he had on his hand, was a thin material. Causing the heat from the tray to transfer onto his hand. Groaning at the pain that was spreading, that didn't matter right now. The door chimed from what he could here and either the girls were leaving or a new customer came in. He transferred the rolls onto a white square plate and grabbed the bowl filled with icing and a silver spoon. Slowly drizzling it all over the rolls.

 

The display was simple and pretty. There was a content smile on his face, from the ‘hard work’ he just did; and made his way out to the front with the plate. When he came out, the place was empty. It was only Jinyoung and him inside, soft acoustic music playing in the background, chose by yours truly. Jaebum walked over to where the other male sat and placed it on the table. “I hope you enjoy” he muttered softly and the balls of his feet.

 

As a response, all he got was “I'll wait for you to finish.”

 

---

 

Ms. Tuan had came back in the nick of time when more people started coming in. Mark had also came with the woman. Mark and Jaebum were tag teaming it whenever orders came in. Small conversation was made but the focus was indeed there. They couldn't mess up anything, especially since they know the girls will get all whiny. Mark even had to throw in some of his ‘cute’ charm to the girls saying “oppa will make it better by drawing a heart on it okay?” The four of them, Jaebum, Ms. Tuan, Jinyoung, and Mark himself wanted to gag from what he was saying. If it were to stop it from going into a scene, then the lord better help them.

 

When closing time came, Jinyoung kept what he said. The male had also ordered a cup of coffee to enjoy. Watching people come in and out, boredom filling his expression. Whenever Jaebum were to come out and serve though, his eyes would light up in a way that no one caught.

 

“I still can't believe you said that to the girl earlier” Jaebum said, taking his apron off and shivered at the mini flashback he had.

 

“What can I say? Girls love me” mark said quite confidently but had a small smile on. So do guys, but let's not get into that.

 

Now Jaebum really wanted to gag at the thought. With a shake of the head, he just made a small wave and said his farewell. Once he got out of the kitchen and into the front, he looked over to Ms. Tuan counting the cash in the register. Saying his goodbye to her as well, his eyes scanned the place. There was no familiar annoying figure sitting down where he was before. His body posture slouched when he realized that. … Was he feeling displeasure? No. Why would I for him? Jaebum walked out and turned his head, he saw Jinyoung leaning against the wall with hands in his pockets.

 

He waited.

 

There was a breath he was holding in unconsciously. Right as he took a step forward, the latter turned and looked at him, a small smile on his face. When Jaebum exhaled, he felt warmth coming up to his cheeks. No clue why and how, let alone did he even notice it. But, we can just blame the cold weather.

 

“Are you going to stand there all night and catch a cold or are we going to go back home?” Jinyoung said, walking up to the younger male, placing his hand on the small of Jaebum’s back and lightly pushed him along as he started to walk. He didn't want to wait for an answer because he'd probably just get none.

 

Getting pushed, Jaebum groaned softly and pulled away from the male’s touch. Instead, now the two of them walked on either side of each other. The walk was quiet but it a peaceful one. Jaebum looked like he had something to say as he bit the inside of his cheek. His eyes kept looking forward and before he knew it, they had reached the apartment complex.

 

There they were, getting into the elevator, leaning against the wall of the cubicle. Waiting to get onto their floor and when the door opened, they walked out. One walking in front of the other, a hand tugged the male back and before they knew it, Jaebum was pushed against the wall by Jinyoung.  The two of them made eye contact, gaze so deep that it was suffocating. The younger male shut his eyes closed for a brief moment and pushed the other away. It may have not been in the nicest way but, who knows what the older would do. It was weird and out of the blue. He opened his eyes and was about to walk to the door of his apartment, hand reaching into his pocket for keys- “Jaebum” Jinyoung said, grabbing the wrist of the male; stopping the hand movement.

 

Jaebum tried to pull his hand arm away, the sound of his keys and key chain clanking against each other was what filled the hallway. The grip only becoming firmer. “Let go of me,” there wasn't a response. It was quiet for a second as he turned to face the other. He eyed Jinyoung for a bit, eyes narrowing. Just why? “I'm tired, it's late. I'd like to go to bed already. Now let go. Playtime’s over” voice stoic, low in a mumble. Eyes now looking at the key and the keychain that's of a star with a bell. Something quite girly someone would say but, it meant something.

 

Even if Jinyoung was just a tad bit shorter than Jaebum, it's not gonna stop him from doing anything. With his free hand, he took hold of the male’s chin and lifted his face up, so that they were eye to eye again. He lets go of the male’s chin before patting Jaebum’s cheek with the palm of his hand. Letting go of the wrist as his eyes look at the keychain. A light chuckle made. Jinyoung turned his head and walked away, waving his hand. “Playtime isn't over until I say it is.”

 

Jaebum slid the key into the door and turned it, opening the door. His mind was blank but heart was racing. Think of it as a slow reaction. When everything happened so fast, there wasn't any time for him to give a remark back nor to even move. Closing the door behind him, his back leaned against it. I don't know. I don't want to know. The intentions that Jinyoung has on him is unknown. He leaves him in a mess. The first time they held a decent conversation to waiting for him to come back. Sitting in the lobby, sometimes even visiting his work place. The puzzle pieces don't match up and it's going to put him on edge.

 

What the is actually going on?

 

---

 

Friday came and went, it was Saturday now. Day of the performance and dinner event. Jaebum was nervous as hell. It’s not his first time performing on stage but as one of the lead dancers, yes. Black and white was the color concept. He wore black ripped jeans, white tank top, and black jacket; hair styled messy. If it weren’t for this event, he’d be at home sleeping.

 

Everyone was backstage, checking themselves in the mirrors to see if they looked alright. Girls practically ting themselves and trying to calm each other down. Boys will be boys and act all high and mighty. Jaebum looked at himself in the mirror and sighed. What am I doing? He felt a hand on his shoulder making him flinch. He turned to see who it was and it was Jimin with that stupid smirk of his. In the back of him was Jackson. “Hey man, you ready?” Jimin asked, pulling his hand away.

 

“I guess, I just want to get this over with already.”

 

“Oh, you’re not staying for the rest of the event?” Jimin looked at the male confused.

 

“Maybe for a little?” Jaebum bit his lip as it came out like a question.

 

“You should man, everyone is practically here from the school. Even the teachers. They’re pretty loose once you get to know them.” Jackson piped up with a grin plastered on his face.

 

Jaebum nodded his head in response. If the teachers were here, would Jinyoung be as well? Would he be watching me? Even though he never told the other about him being a part of it, he may never know. Did I really just think of him though? His thoughts were cut short as the instructor made an announcement about getting on stage soon. And that’s probably the last thing he remembered of that night.

 

His soul was in the performance. When they finished their dance numbers, everyone had cheered. Everyone that participated had made their own ways out, the room that the ‘dinner’ was in was dimly lit, with some sort of edm music playing. It was more like a winter party not dinner. Jaebum hung out with Jackson and Jimin, talking story. When the two were just not himself. Casually listening, looking around. Totally not looking for a specific someone. Until a drink was held in front of his face. He looked at the glass and stared at the owner of the hand. It was Jimin, who was just smiling. “Dude, you have to relax a bit. Try some.”

 

Tempting and well, he gave in. Taking hold of the glass, he downed the liquid. It was bitter and burning his throat. Gross. His mind was totally not in the right state to even begin with. Now, it was just on blast. The next thing he did was he was dancing along with the other two males and people that went to the school. Someone had came up to him, breaking the trance he was in. Vision hazy but Jaebum knew who it was.

 

 

It was Jinyoung.

 

They looked at each other for a moment. They were both not dancing but they got out of the place quickly. Out to outside, the cold breeze hitting their faces. The younger male was being pulled away. He was in his own world already, not knowing what was going on. Mumbles slurred, reaction time slower than it was before. But there they were, at the apartment and in the elevator.

 

 

“Jinyoung,” Jaebum started out, stopping his feet. He pulled the male to him, bodies inches apart. “Why?” The first question was asked. He looked at the older, expression unreadable. “Why can’t I figure you out?” The second question was said followed by a bitter chuckle. Jaebum pushed the male against the male in the hallway, same position as the other night. “Nothing matches. I can’t hear anything. What game are you playing?” The third question was played.

 

Jinyoung stayed quiet, a sad smile played on his lips. Listening the male was a bit heartbreaking. Lost, was what the male seemed like. He’s never shown this to anyone but Youngjae. So Jaebum thinks anyways. Jinyoung placed his hand against the younger’s cheek, caressing it and his thumb brushing against the male’s lower lip. The distanced closed between them, lips pressed against each other. Movement was slow, eyes half lidded. They pulled away for a moment. And all that was said that was going to be forgotten the next;

 

 

 

“A game where everything is supposed to be just right.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pulling back together, lips brushing against each other. Ending up in a bed, a place that someone never wants to leave. They got lost in pleasure. A night where the house of cards still stood.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If only it was a game. Now forget.
Be blinded by a cloth and wander all you want.
That's the paradise lost.

 

 




 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




A/N:
  what are your thoughts?

i just got back into school so i'm just dead - lmao . thanks for waiting.

Until then ,
-turtlebum