Cookies and Kisses

Cookies and Kisses

                It’s the middle of December. A thin layer of snow covers the ground, crunching under your feet as you walk along the pavement. You bury your hands deeper into your pockets, your chin tucked into your woollen scarf.

                Turning left off the main street; you continue down the road and open the door of the large house at the end of the street. Stepping into the warmth, you rub your hands together to banish the cold, and shut the door firmly to keep out the winter chill.

                There are footsteps from the kitchen, and the smiling face of your boyfriend, Kyungsoo, comes down the hall toward you. His eyes light up at the sight of you, and he immediately takes your coat and scarf, leading you into the living room where a fire is crackling merrily.

                Sitting down on the armchair closest to the fire, he pulls you onto his lap, tucking a strand of your hair behind your ear. His hands are warm, soft on the side of your face as he moves them to cup your cheeks.

                Kyungsoo kisses you gently, and you lean into him, wrapping your cold arms around his neck. A shiver runs down your spine, and he pulls back, rubbing your shoulders to try and warm you up.

                You nestle against him, curled in his lap with your face buried in his shoulder, and he your hair with one hand, the other arm holding you tightly to him. He scatters small kisses across the top of your head as the combination of the warmth of the fire and his body heat gradually bring your temperature up to normal, the December cold seeping away to be replaced by a feeling of comfort and security.

                Snuggled against Kyungsoo, the cosy fire warding off the icy weather outside where the snow falls in swirling flurries past the window, your eyelids begin to feel heavy and drowsiness sweeps over you.

                When you wake up, only a quarter of an hour has passed. The fire still burns brightly in the hearth, flames leaping majestically. Kyungsoo’s chest rises and falls beneath you, his breathing deep and regular as he sleeps. His heart-shaped lips are parted slightly in an adorable pout.

The air is filled with the smell of cookies. Rubbing sleep from your eyes, you stand up, careful not to wake your boyfriend. Making your way to the kitchen, you pull three baking sheets of perfect chocolate-chip cookies out of the oven and set them on the counter.

Out of the corner of your eye, you see Kyungsoo wander blearily into the room. Wrapping his arms around you from behind, he rests his head on your shoulder. Leaning back against him, you move your head to kiss his temple.

“Smells good,” he mumbles into your hair. Smiling, you pick a cookie off the tray and break it in half. It’s still warm, and the chocolate inside is melted. Turning to face him, he opens his mouth, his eyes on yours. Feeding him the cookie, you place a kiss on his forehead.

“I didn’t mean to wake you,” you apologise softly, running your hands through his hair. Kyungsoo tilts his head back, his breathing becoming more strained, and he pulls you closer to kiss you.

“I love you,” he murmurs  against your lips. You smile.

“I love you too,” you tell him.